Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) (21986 Views)

Japa Or Stay In Nigeria / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 1:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
Good day Nairalanders. Pls I need some mature advice because I’ve been in a dilemma for a long time now concerning relocating abroad or staying back in Nigeria.
First of all I’m not a japa advocate. I believe if you’re doing well in Nigeria then there’s no point relocating abroad but I feel there’s so much uncertainty and I don’t know what the future holds for me in this country.

Now I’m a married man of 30 years. I will turn 31 by this September. We have no child yet but wife is preg now. I have a B.Eng in petroleum Engineering but have never worked in my life. My current business is crypto trading which I have been doing for years now. During the 2021 crypto bull run I made lot of money and acquired some properties that’s currently valued atleast 60-70m naira in total. bought my car same year and got married same year to my long time Gf, settled some family members etc . I don’t have any other investments or business aside my properties and crypto portfolio because crypto trading has taken all my time and I won’t complain because so far it has been good. Making money in dollars while in Nigeria is bliss. Even though we have been in bear season since 2022, I still make some money every now and then that’s sustainable for now until we hit another bull run which is likely to happen from next year 2024.

My fear lies here, on the long run crypto trading is not sustainable. If not for 2021 bull run I don’t think I would be in this position and even the projected bull run next year is not 100% certain

I plan on learning a programming skill which is very difficult, I tried learning it late last year but stopped along the line because it was distracting me from trading and missing some opportunities in crypto because making money is most important. Coding would probably take me a few years before I start earning even though it is sustainable long term but crypto trading can be life changing but not sustainable long term . It’s more like a gamble most times.

My plan A, is to gather enough money from now till 2025 which is the duration of the projected bull run if it happens and start investing in real estate development, Like building and selling and other businesses too but I don’t know how feasible that is in our present day Nigeria and if I don’t make my target amount, I might have to start with the available resources present.

plan B, gather some money, learn a skill then relocate to Canada with my family via study route since I don’t have any real work experience aside crypto trading but that would mean me going to study and starting afresh.

For my wife, she also has a degree in Human Resources with just nysc as working experience. She learnt wig making and installation and has been doing her online biz selling wigs etc.

Abroad folks, what are my chances abroad considering my current profile. Is it worth it coming over there to start afresh
And build? I have heard so many things how it’s hard getting a job and you have to rely on survival jobs for the first few years expecially for someone without any work experience.

I really don’t like joining the bandwagon cos everyone seems to be leaving, I love to weigh my options and hate taking unnecessary risk that might lead to regrets, at the same time don’t want to regret not leaving since I’m still young and have the opportunity that’s why I’m here asking these questions to learn from experienced and matured family men home and abroad the action they would take. We learn everyday,

For my unborn kids, if everything checks out, my plan is to give birth to them in either Canada or US for the passport and raise them in Nigeria and when they are grown, send them to study there and that is only if I’m not relocating. And if I’m relocating, what are the in-demand skills and professions I have to take since it’s clear I might be going to school because I hate survival jobs. What is your advice pls.
Mature advice pls. Thank you 🙏
@justwise @Disguy

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Chijeep(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
As long as I no lazy ooo
Omo na japa any day anytime twice on Monday.
#IgboBlood

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by LesbianBoy(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
You better japa angry

22 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Naijaguy123: 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2023

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Skiborobo(f): 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2023

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Mogajunior(m): 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
cool

If you have the means to relocate abroad, please do. You would thank yourself in the long run.

38 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Passionate888: 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
Relocate

8 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by PHZADDY1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
Enjoyment dey here but better life dey there

51 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by finallybusy: 3:46pm On Jun 12, 2023
Learn a skill. Learn a skill. Learn two and as many as four if not six. Don't sell everything and go there to become a burden on their society. Them go repatriate you without pity. Nigeria may favour you, but that place always favours a person willing to sweat to feed a family.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Hezzyluv: 3:46pm On Jun 12, 2023
Japa......

6 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by ViktorCash: 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
JAPA! grin

5 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Kizzygentle: 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
Wetin be crypto.. Bro if u have made enough money to relocate with your family, please do... That's my candid advice..

13 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by theophorus(m): 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
Learn a skill probably your coding things.
Stay and keep making money in USD.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Philomath1212: 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
RELOCATE!
RELOCATE!!
RELOCATE!!!

11 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Herbiodun09: 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
LesbianBoy:
You better japa angry

Dnt take advice from a confused fellow like this one

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by RawSex(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
I didn't read your story but do everything u can to relocate from this shithole

Nigeria is among the Top 20 worst countries to live on Earth; trust me, just runnnn!!!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by chimpad: 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
You're rich and are better off in Nigeria. The abroad is a mad system. You make money, but the system is designed to take almost everything. For instance, you said it's bliss to make money in dollars. It's not the same feeling for someone resident abroad. In the US, the Govt takes up to 40% of your crypto earnings. You have to declare that on your 1099. I guess in Nigeria you probably got away with no taxes asides the one you paid during the transactions. Taxes here and there. You will share all your earnings with the govt, pay high bills and insurance! There isn't anything superb about being abroad if you are making good money in Nigeria.

113 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by xamuel17(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
You dont have to be a programmer, there are many other fields in tech that doesn't require so much commitment. Explore the route of Project/Product management, Software testing , Dev Ops etc.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Tboymessiah(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
NasoLifeBe!!!

Go back and learn the computer programming,
That will help u alot and boast Ur confidence to go abroad.

If u can't learn the computer programming, go for plumbing.

Then later prepare to travel.

8 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by oyekanwahab(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:
Good day Nairalanders. Pls I need some mature advice because I’ve been in a dilemma for a long time now concerning relocating abroad or staying back in Nigeria.
First of all I’m not a japa advocate. I believe if you’re doing well in Nigeria then there’s no point relocating abroad but I feel there’s so much uncertainty and I don’t know what the future holds for me in this country.

Now I’m a married man of 30 years. I will turn 31 by this September. We have no child yet but wife is preg now. I have a B.Eng in petroleum Engineering but have never worked in my life. My current business is crypto trading which I have been doing for years now. During the 2021 crypto bull run I made lot of money and acquired some properties that’s currently valued atleast 60-70m naira in total. bought my car same year and got married same year to my long time Gf, settled some family members etc . I don’t have any other investments or business aside my properties and crypto portfolio because crypto trading has taken all my time and I won’t complain because so far it has been good. Making money in dollars while in Nigeria is bliss. Even though we have been in bear season since 2022, I still make some money every now and then that’s sustainable for now until we hit another bull run which is likely to happen from next year 2024.

My fear lies here, on the long run crypto trading is not sustainable. If not for 2021 bull run I don’t think I would be in this position and even the projected bull run next year is not 100% certain

I plan on learning a programming skill which is very difficult, I tried learning it late last year but stopped along the line because it was distracting me from trading and missing some opportunities in crypto because making money is most important. Coding would probably take me a few years before I start earning even though it is sustainable long term but crypto trading can be life changing but not sustainable long term . It’s more like a gamble most times.

My plan A, is to gather enough money from now till 2025 which is the duration of the projected bull run if it happens and start investing in real estate development, Like building and selling and other businesses too but I don’t know how feasible that is in our present day Nigeria and if I don’t make my target amount, I might have to start with the available resources present.

plan B, gather some money, learn a skill then relocate to Canada with my family via study route since I don’t have any real work experience aside crypto trading but that would mean me going to study and starting afresh.

For my wife, she also has a degree in Human Resources with just nysc as working experience. She learnt wig making and installation and has been doing her online biz selling wigs etc.

Abroad folks, what are my chances abroad considering my current profile. Is it worth it coming over there to start afresh
And build? I have heard so many things how it’s hard getting a job and you have to rely on survival jobs for the first few years expecially for someone without any work experience.

I really don’t like joining the bandwagon cos everyone seems to be leaving, I love to weigh my options and hate taking unnecessary risk that might lead to regrets, at the same time don’t want to regret not leaving since I’m still young and have the opportunity that’s why I’m here asking these questions to learn from experienced and matured family men home and abroad the action they would take. We learn everyday,

For my unborn kids, if everything checks out, my plan is to give birth to them in either Canada or US for the passport and raise them in Nigeria and when they are grown, send them to study there and that is only if I’m not relocating. And if I’m relocating, what are the in-demand skills and professions I have to take since it’s clear I might be going to school because I hate survival jobs. What is your advice pls.
@justwise @Disguy

🤔 Hmmmm

I think deep down you know what you want

Just take your time to think about the route you want to follow

5 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Penguin2: 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

You are already a millionaire in Nigeria and your kind of business is not affected by economic realities of the country. Why then do you want to throw your freedom away and move to another country to go and start living like a stranger in another man’s land?

That real estate business you thought of is good. Just make sure you don’t develop in the bush so you don’t have difficulties in selling.

About materials becoming cost, shebi if materials are cost you factor it into the cost of building the property which will then determine how much you would sell.

I’m not abroad but I think a lot of people that were doing well like you but chose to join the japa bandwagon always end up regretting it. So, think it through.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Britishcoins(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Sounds more like crypto advertisement.. I don't have advice for u

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Draslo(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
You're making $$$ in Nigeria. You should have no motive to japa. You should focus on getting dual citizenship while living here.
Thank me later

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by LesbianBoy(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Herbiodun09:

Dnt take advice from a confused fellow like this one

Na you be the confused fellow. tongue

4 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by LandMann: 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Indiscipline, non challenging environment and lack of focus is why you are unable to learn a skill in Nigeria.

In you spend 25-30 million to migrate to Canada, nobody would tell you to sit up and learn any available skill to perfection so that the money you've spent migrating won't turn to waste.

Also, the challenge of paying bills in whatever country you migrate to will force you to sit up or risk failing and returning to Nigeria.

If I was in your shoes with same opportunities I'd risk 5 million to load up on any one or two crypto that will blow next bull run... Then I'd stop day trading and use the next 18 to 24 months to focus on learning a skill that will be useful to me if I decide to be self employed in future...

Once you've acquired the skills you can then decide to migrate from Nigeria if you so want.

In all this, I think you need an accountability partner... Someone to monitor your progress in your skill learning journey and motivate you to continue before you find another excuse to abandon your plan or course of action.

I can be your guide and accountability partner, your vocal conscience to motivate you to succeed and always remind you of the cost of failing. Send me a pm.

16 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Greenfaces: 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Your son fit turn gay sha
If you see the lgbtq madness going on in the west now you go fear. Even the whites are now worried.

I also decided to stay back in this country. Had some few cars and house to sell to raise the japa money but decided to remain. Buy lands and sell every two to 3 years and continue my solar and inverter hustle. Hell fire is real abeg

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by labake1(f): 3:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
No, you are making a lot of money why the worries?
Invest in Nigeria and have peace of mind because there is no place like home

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by femijohn21(m): 3:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
You can't make this money you mentioned honestly and still be dilemma of whether to stay or leave. My hunch don't deceive me.

4 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by remsonik(f): 3:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hmmm, I believe from the funds you've made in your crypto trading start a business in Nigeria and run it well. Make it and japa

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by damosky12(m): 3:51pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

Guy. On this forum, you'll get lots of conflicting advice from people who are no where near you are...

But, reasonably, if you have amassed a worth of tens of millions for yourself at this age, I honestly think you've done well for yourself. I understand that your crypto trading business is not stable, but you know as much as I do that you can establish yourself and your wife with what you have now...

There are much advantages in relocating to Canada too. You could acquire sellable skills and relocate to get a job there. However, the cons of that are that it's a new terrain. It's like a leap into the unknown. From my observation, most of those who have japa to Canada prolly wouldn't have if they had half of what you have...

All in all, I think you should pray about it all. What worked for another person may ruin you. And what didn't work for another person could prolly be your fort. The best is to pray about it. The God who made you had your story. He knows the way you ought to go than you ever would.

My few cents.

44 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Visa Lottery Results Are Out (DV 2010 Status Check) / United Airlines De-boards Unruly Passenger At Lagos Airport / Family Involved In Accident On Their Way From Christmas Carol (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.