Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos (25028 Views)

Traders In Ladipo Market, Lagos, Abandon Their Shops And Run As Gun Men Attack / Nigerian Traders' Shops Closed In Ghana As They Cry Out / How To Buy Stuffs At Cheaper Price At Idumota Market, Lagos This Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by dre11(m): 11:44am On Jun 16, 2023
Armed Customs officials, in the early hours of Wednesday, invaded the Agip Market in the Agege area of Lagos State, allegedly burgled shops and looted property belonging to traders operating in the market.

The traders, while recounting their losses during a protest on Thursday, said property worth millions of naira were reportedly stolen by the officials who ransacked their shops after dislodging the security guards manning the premises.

During the protest which started around 9am, the traders, some of whom were seen weeping profusely as they lamented over the development, said the accused officials seized the mobile phones of their guards to prevent them from recording the incident or contacting traders and market leaders who were at home sleeping during the operation.

The traders were also seen carrying placards bearing inscriptions including “Asiwaju our father, please save our soul,” “Nigerian government, please intervene in our case,” and “Customs broke my shop and made me a debtor overnight,” among others.

Speaking with our correspondent, one of the aggrieved traders, Ijeoma Eze-Okoye, said the officials allegedly burgled and looted bags of rice, and money, among other goods in shops of traders operating in Akerele and Agip markets in the space of three weeks.

She said, My shop is at Akerele Market. My shop is the first shop they broke into around 1am about two weeks ago. It was Customs officials that stole my goods. I was informed that Customs officers were at our place (shops) around 1am.

They said somebody pointed my shop to them and the Customs officers alongside the hoodlums that they brought broke into my shop and looted my goods. They carried bags of rice valued at N6m. They broke into two shops after my own. They carried the bags of rice inside there.”

Eze-Okoye said she reported the matter at the Elere Police Station, adding that when she was asked how she knew Customs officials were responsible for looting her shop, she said the guards and a resident in the area saw them during the operation.

A trader in Agip market, Aina Irawo, whose shop was also affected, accused the Customs officials of stealing no fewer than 200 bags of rice from her shop.

Irawo said, Have mercy on us. Customs officers came to burgle my shop. They carried 200 bags of rice yesterday (Wednesday). They also broke my safe and carted away N6m. Have mercy on us. We are only trading at Agege, we didn’t go to the border.”

Another trader in the market, Arike Olafathia, said, “We sell goods inside Agege. Customs officers do come at midnight to break our shops. When they came, they would seize the phones of our security guards.

“Around 2am on Wednesday, they came with about five Hilux vans and broke into three shops at Agip market in Agege. The security guards told us they were Customs officers. They did this after invading the Akerele market a few weeks ago and took about 250 bags of rice. This is debt! We can’t feed our children. It is too much and that is why we are protesting.”

Contacted, the spokesperson for Customs, Federal Operations Unit, Zone A, Theophilus Duniya‎, said, “We have no record of any operation.”

The national spokesperson for the agency, Abdullahi Maiwada, when contacted, also said, “We discussed that issue with him (Duniya) today, fortunately, I am in Lagos, we were in the same location with him today and he referred to that issue. I saw the text you sent to him, it is good you relate with him.”

https://punchng.com/power-drunk-customs-officials-loot-traders-shops-overnight/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by taylor89(m): 11:45am On Jun 16, 2023
Thief

8 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by EyeCumInPiece: 11:46am On Jun 16, 2023
See yeye people that their gross incompetence at protecting our borders against petrol smugglers was one of the major reasons they are suffering us with subsidy removal.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by LeoDeKing: 11:50am On Jun 16, 2023
Part of the report that gets my attention:
Asiwaju our father, please save our soul,” “Nigerian government, please intervene in our case,”
When did Tinubu become your father?
Is he not a cocaine sniffer again?
Or are you saying your father is a cocaine sniffer?

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Ihateheadslamer: 11:52am On Jun 16, 2023
Custom officials have always known to be bunch of nonentities tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by NobleSeed(m): 12:04pm On Jun 16, 2023
office way Atiku don work before no dey lie lie get head again 😂 😂
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Hndrrxxx(m): 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2023
Dd
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by MisterBanny(m): 2:33pm On Jun 16, 2023
Jungle Justice where art thou?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by HEBEI: 2:33pm On Jun 16, 2023
Were the traders not dealing in contrabands

4 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by STEWpid(f): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2023
Chai..

Boys for give am the ever correct beating of his life.

What an inzebrudiah abberation.
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by allanphash7(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you want to know a real Nigerian just give h/her Power , if you want to know the person deeply give him/ her A UNIFORM

These beast are indeed the enemy of the nation

Se no be Border those goods follow enter?

Stinking bastard Custom

18 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by N3TRAL: 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2023
The ethics of Nigerian Custom agents are bad.

They apply their crude principle to vehicles as well. They stop you and tell you the vehicle you bought with your hard earned money was smuggled into the country.

It is burglary under criminal law to break into someone's property. They should police the borders well if they don't want prohibited goods to be smuggled into the country.

9 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by meolaniyi(m): 2:36pm On Jun 16, 2023
Always targeting Igbos businesses

10 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by samwillyco1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 16, 2023
They are not alone, they are backed by the powers above. Always envy of a particular tribe.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by themanderon: 2:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
Lawlessness everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 2:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
You must be high on Cocaine that you are always of the same opinion every time.
No be your brothers dey traffic the cocaine worldwide.
LeoDeKing:
Part of the report that gets my attention:

When did Tinubu become your father?
Is he not a cocaine sniffer again?
Or are you saying your father is a cocaine sniffer?

12 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Risingblue008(m): 2:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
Theives,
That's what there are,
If not,
Na only thief dey operate for 9t,
Even police too,
Any occurrence around 12-4am,
Na robbery b dt and I hope there r brought to book

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by kelechiodo(m): 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
Too bad
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by spartachico(m): 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
FYI ... those arent custom officers, they are only impersonating with custom uniforms....Baba nla thieves.

8 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by sammirano: 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
So Asiwaju is your father now. Interessant.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by aviazuva: 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
iyalojaooo
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Parachoko: 2:40pm On Jun 16, 2023
Asiwaju should look into this lawlessness

2 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by dyera(m): 2:41pm On Jun 16, 2023
Hungry don wire custom officers. No more bribe from people smuggling petrol to neighboring countries.

2 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Risingblue008(m): 2:41pm On Jun 16, 2023
Hdhd
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Randal: 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2023
Criminals everywhere
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2023
The worst part is that the operations are illegal since their oga deny any knowledge of it. However, I would have expected they swift into action quickly considering the image of their unit is involved that said, it could be their modus operandi.

2 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Blaze14k: 2:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
HEBEI:
Were the traders not dealing in contrabands

Custom officers are not supposed to be there.. its not there duty to raid shops or properties

5 Likes

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by freemanq(m): 2:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
Why come at night if the operation is genuine

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by AmazingELixir: 2:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
lipsrsealed

Let's wait and see how the BAT will respond to this..

But these women sha...whenever they commit they immediately want to stoke sentiments, so they didn't consider how they'll feed their children when they decided to be dealing on contraband.

Nigerian security agencies and midnight raids sha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by Holluwhakemmy(f): 2:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
ASIWAJU Our Father
Re: Power-Drunk Customs Officials Loot Traders' Shops Overnigh At Agip Market, Lagos by vicstorm: 2:48pm On Jun 16, 2023

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Femi Falana Confronts Coca-Cola For Disrespecting Nigerian Laws. / How Much Is Engine Oil In Your Area Now? / World Billionaires Get Poorer, Lose A Staggering $388bn - Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.