Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest (28647 Views)

EndSARS: MBH Power Suspends Staff For Participating In Protest / Microsoft Sacks Journalists To Replace Them With Robots / Google Staff Walk Out Of Their Offices In Protest Over Excos Sexual Allegations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by EcoBrick: 7:45pm On Jun 17, 2023

Tea pickers in Kenya are protesting the automation of agribusiness and other challenges faced by workers.

Around ten tea-plucking machines worth $1.2 million have been destroyed in the past year in attacks on Ekaterea Tea Company.

A government task force has proposed a human-machine tea-picking ratio of 60:40 and a reduction in the number of imported tea-harvesting machines.

The automation of tea harvesting increases the global competitiveness of Kenya’s tea and helps reduce the cost of production. Analysts say the recent opposition to mechanization will not stop the adoption of machines where necessary.

In Kericho county of Kenya, tea pickers are engaging in a massive protest over the automation of agribusiness and other challenges faced by workers.

According to a local report, around ten tea-plucking machines worth around $ 1.2 million have been torched belonging to Ekaterina Tea Company (formerly Unilever)- producers of Lipton over the last year in different attacks.

This recent spate of protests has resulted in the death of one protester and several injured. Earlier in March, a local government task force proposed a human-machine tea picking ratio of 60:40. The task force also wants a reduction in the number of tea harvesting machines imported into the country.

The Disagreement between Tea-pickers and Producers
Speaking to the press, a task force member Nicholas Kiruis Kirui said tens of thousands of jobs have been lost to mechanisation in the past decade. In his words “We did public participation in all the wards and with all the different groups, and the overwhelming sentiment we were hearing was that the machines should go”

However, a top official of one of Kenya’s major tea producers noted that mechanisation was critical to the company’s operation and how competitive Kenya tea would be in the international market.

Analyst Reports
According to a study, some machines can replace around 100 people and one machine reduces the cost of harvesting tea from 11 cents to 3 cents.

Analysts say automation will not stop and will continue to spread beyond agriculture to other industries across Africa. According to the managing director of the African Commodities Exchange AFEX in Kenya “We find the disruption caused by the integration of technology and mechanization seem initially threatening, however, it is important for all stakeholders (agricultural organisations, farmers, processors) involved to see these as increasingly imminent and unavoidable”

Kenya’s Tea Industry
Kenya is a major player in the global tea market. In 2021, it exported tea worth $1.2 billion. Only China and Sri Lanka exported more in the period.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2023/06/16/tea-pickers-in-kenya-are-destroying-machines-meant-to-replace-them-in-protest/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by triple996(m): 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2023
Human vs machine war have began

210 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2023
enemies of progress.... no matter how they try to go against technology, its coming by fire or by force..

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by TemplarLandry: 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2023
Lol. AI (Artificial Intelligence) is about to take most jobs. Watch out.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Brendaniel: 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
I don't want to blame the tea pickers outrightly, however what they did was wrong and I feel this is where the government is supposed to come in.

The machines are performing the jobs faster, cheaper and maybe better than human pickers and the primary purpose of every business is to make profit.

The government should start working on how to make their citizens focus and train on other fields of endeavor other than manual labour fields, this will be a gradual process because most manual labor jobs might be taken over by machines in the future.

If not, the gap between the rich and poor might further widen because of less jobs for the poor and very high profit for the rich using machines that never fall sick, get tired or go on leave working round the clock as long as they are maintained properly without salary, benefits, pension and so on.

The film Elysium comes to mind

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by borika: 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Lol. AI is about to take most jobs. Watch out.
I knew I would spot a very stupid comment like this, I knew it. If I may ask you boss, what has AI got to do with tea picking machine? undecided Do you even know what Artificial intelligence means? A lot of you Nigerians like to behave as if Una know something but nothing dey Una head at all

70 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by TemplarLandry: 8:18pm On Jun 17, 2023
I won't honor you with a back and forth...keep wallowing in your ignorance.
borika:
I knew I would spot a very stupid comment like this, I knew it. If I may ask you boss, what has AI got to do with tea picking machine? undecided

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by VeryWickedMan: 9:27pm On Jun 17, 2023
Program the machines to spray 9mm pellets at anybody approaching within 1 feet.

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by FreeStuffsNG: 9:36pm On Jun 17, 2023
Humans usually resist such moves everywhere in the world. This is why management must always engage. Job is more than just means of earning wages, it is a social function and part of human society. Even small animals like insects have jobs.

They must engage the workers and make them see how these machines benefit them shikena.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by oluwaseyi0: 8:16am On Jun 18, 2023
Africans this is 2023

you cannot tell a businessman how to run his business, so you expect them to stick with expensive, nagging human labor when a machine can do the job?

simply create your own farm and your whatever you like as labour

8 Likes

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Yankiss(m): 8:16am On Jun 18, 2023
There has to be a win-win for this kind of human-machine impasse. I believe the Tea Pickers should not be made to lose their jobs. They could be taught to operate the robots and supervise operations, reduce their work hour to the barest minimum and allow them multiple jobs to make ends meet. The future is real. Many jobs today including medicine and Surgery will become AI robotics issue in future. It's predictable.

9 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by cardoctor(m): 8:16am On Jun 18, 2023
Good idea
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Sucre6: 8:16am On Jun 18, 2023
It has begun 😂
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by ATEAMS: 8:17am On Jun 18, 2023
Wow
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by STEWpid(f): 8:18am On Jun 18, 2023
Chai..

Codes are dragging jobs with humans.

What an inzebrudiah abberation!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by GENES11S: 8:19am On Jun 18, 2023
Wait until the mechines are designed to self-defense 🤺

1 Like

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by ROYALFRAGRANCE(f): 8:19am On Jun 18, 2023
Jgf
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Rebuke: 8:19am On Jun 18, 2023
Smh. So, choosing what is favorable and profitable for my company is a sin in Kenya?

So long as the company will pay taxes and any other appropriate levy, the protest is uncalled for.

Well, this is what happens when a country is backward and has refused to embrace helpful modernization.

Hope they keep running unclad and chasing lions and hyenas in the bush with sticks.
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Porksupplyib: 8:19am On Jun 18, 2023
cry
Unfortunately this is a war they cannot win. Unemployment is bound to be on the increase as mechanization sweeps into every sector . It didn't start today and in years to come it will only get worse.

There is always going to be a bad side to every good news. It is rarely a win win situation

1 Like

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Adesoyefi: 8:19am On Jun 18, 2023
Technology go replace human being to some extent sooner or later

1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by uyams(m): 8:20am On Jun 18, 2023
This is a general thing, for e.g in banking sector here in nigeria,the recent cashless policy has introduced large chunk of bank customer's to banks alternative channel's such as there mobile Apps,POS and ATMs thereby gradually killing tellers Job slowly, cos if the customer's can now transact from comfort of there office's and shops with there mobile apps and Pos, then there's no need for there physical presence in the bank, even the Little money the are able to generate, with the way mobile POS services are littered everywhere, the don't need bank again to deposit it

So is it in many other sector's,

We all just av to get ready for the massive Technological revolution gradually creeping in world wide,

E go reach everybody

2 Likes

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by bewla(m): 8:21am On Jun 18, 2023
It's yes for me

Don't take my job without you given me another

1 Like

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Macgyver1: 8:21am On Jun 18, 2023
Same way A.I will also replace so many jobs and skills.
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by Kaido: 8:22am On Jun 18, 2023
This is sad
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by iHart(m): 8:23am On Jun 18, 2023
borika:
I knew I would spot a very stupid comment like this, I knew it. If I may ask you boss, what has AI got to do with tea picking machine? undecided Do you even know what Artificial intelligence means? A lot of you Nigerians like to behave as if Una know something but nothing dey Una head at all
and what made you think AI can't run those tea picking machines?

Before you quote me to argue, note that AI is the brain behind Autonomous Vehicles.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by nawa4naija(m): 8:24am On Jun 18, 2023
But this is the saddest reality that will hit mankind soon

Machines are taking over and unemployment is on the rise

It doesn’t get any better

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by clockwisereport: 8:25am On Jun 18, 2023
The companies can come and invest in Taraba tea

1 Like

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by jmoore(m): 8:25am On Jun 18, 2023
Agents of backwardness.

It is called third world for this reason.
Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by AbuAeesha: 8:26am On Jun 18, 2023
borika:

artificial intelligence (AI), the ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings.

This is the britanica's definition of AI.
So what are you talking about

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by OneCandleAway(f): 8:29am On Jun 18, 2023
iHart:
and what made you think AI can't run those tea picking machines?

Before you quote me to argue, note that AI is the brain behind Autonomous Vehicles.

The person you quoted is ignorant.
I was listening to Dr. Jordan Petersonon YouTube who said even a self driven car is not just a car, its a dangerous machine due to all ut can do.

1 Like

Re: Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest by nairalanda1(m): 8:29am On Jun 18, 2023
Luddites!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Professional Skill Will Be In HOT DEMAND 2016 / Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support / Anthony Ndukwe Awarded The Best Worker In Dubai Leading Family Business. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.