Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,437 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) (10955 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Tunde Bakare Tells Worshippers They Will Die If They Don’t Give God Money! / Which Is More Precious In The Sight Of God? Money Or Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by tEsLim(m): 10:18am On Oct 03, 2011
Pastor wey brainwash you try gaan! You will let your brother die when you have money to give him to save him you wan dash already rich pastor money? Na wa oh. When will my people get things right and liberate themselves from mental slavery
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by debosky(m): 10:23am On Oct 03, 2011
Image123:

His 10% would do the job, but his 90% won't? Commoooon. He'd die if he had 80% for himself this month?

That's missing the point - if he has already set aside the 10%, God accepts using 'his money'  to help the needy and he should feel free to do so.  No one is saying the 10% would do the job - you don't refuse to assist someone because you think your assistance doesn't solve the problem completely. The man needs help now, give what you can - that's all a person can do.

The point is that nobody's saying he shouldn't help others. But if he considers it God's money, then he should use his own money.

It is ALL God's money - God gives everything so this artificial division doesn't exist - anything he gives the man is God's money, and since he's already set aside this 10%, he can use it in a way God approves of - helping your brother in need.

I repeat - this artificial elevation of giving to the church above giving to those in need is very wrong. The church is made up of people - if you give to a member of the church, you have given to the church. It's really that simple.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 10:27am On Oct 03, 2011
cicero:

@op
If you are genuinely wanting to get sound, scriptural advice Nairaland is the last place you want to ask.
You will receive all manner here based on logic, atheism, Rotary clubs 4 way test and even Muslims. Even Anti Christs are here.
You are obviously from a tithe paying church, don't you have christian brothers and sisters? mentors that could advice you?

Lol.
People shouldn't use other people's money to give tithe. Use ya money, it's ya own. Don't use government's money(tax) or debts. Give government their money, give 'God' his money, give your creditor his money. Use your money to help the poor. You can even donate it all to motherless babies, but use your own money. Why would someone not want to touch his money but want to use other's money to help people. It's just like our politicians using the others' money to help their friends and family.
ther's money to help people. It's just like our politicians using the others' money to help their friends and family.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Ojukwu24(m): 10:35am On Oct 03, 2011
Some people can not help ppl make decision without first cursing them . We need to grow.

Malachi 3:10; "bring all the tithes in to the store house of God that there might be food in the store house". Now come to think of this, will this your tithe end up in God's store house or your Pastors pocket? If tithes in your church enters the store house, then this your brother won't be complaining. My brother follow your heart. Though if it were me, I will give to that brother (cus I have done it before and will still do it again if the opportunity comes). Remember, do what your conscience will be satisfied with. Nobody should make the decision for you.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by robola: 10:37am On Oct 03, 2011
Mr, pls pay ur tithe 2 d brother. I believe ur conscience tells u this.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by horny4u(f): 10:38am On Oct 03, 2011
stagger:

Let me address some of the bolded points.
Many bankers are skill-less. In today's world, anybody who wants to make it has to acquire skills outside the regular stuff you get from the university.

I did not attend any private schools. I went public the whole time. My secondary school had no functional Physics or Biology labs. I learnt practical Physics from PN Okeke's Practical Physics textbook on my own. The first Physics experiment I ever did was during the SSCE exam. I made an A2 in Physics, and an A2 in Biology.

If I had relaxed and said "oh, there was no functional lab in my school", what would have become of me?

Most of what I use today to feed myself and my family are skills I picked up outside of what I studied in University. I understood that to survive in this world, one has to be versatile, and many bankers don't have that.

Did Bill Gates or Steve Jobs go to conventional universities to learn how to write computer programs or build computers? THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LUCK IN THIS WORLD.

We have a saying in my language: that when an individual agrees to make progress, his God will also agree with him.

The first capital for my business was N500. Yes, N500. I crafted a business idea, used N500 to print out the advert on A4 and shared it out on the streets. I made N42,500 out of it and the rest is history. So anyone who languishes in his pitiful state by saying there is no capital is just deceiving himself.

The journey of a thousand miles always begins with a small step. I know the ex-banker's problem; having tasted the perks of banking, he is probably too proud to engage in certain "demeaning" ways of making money. There is a woman who used to live close to my house in one of the Northern states. I got to know that her business of frying plantain, akara and yam at night was giving her N40,000 daily. Honestly the day I heard it was the day I made up my mind that I had no excuse to be a poor man.

The ex-banker should wake up!

Kai !!!
I know the above is so off topic, but the above cannot be said enough, there is indeed too much wisdom in what you have written.
Nothing to add or subtract.
Thanks
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by fummylolah: 10:40am On Oct 03, 2011
Similar incidence happened to me 4 months ago. a junior colleague of mine had his first daughter at UCH Ibadan because she had kidney related ailment. There was no place for him to get money cause he actually dropped his whole salary for treatment and has borrowed from everybody he can imagine( kidney problem of over 7 yrs) and still needs more or else his daughter (14yrs) would die, I prayed to God and asked for forgiveness if i was doing d wrong thing by giving the guy my tithe. i also made d guy to understand dat i was giving him my tithe and so he should use it for d purpose to which i am giving him. i beleive there are some conditions to which the tithe can also be used to help the needy, Pls correct me if i was also wrong,
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PastorKun(m): 10:43am On Oct 03, 2011
Reading through this thread providesevidence as to how the cancerous, greedy, manipulative, fraudulent and false doctrine of tithes is leading 'believers' away fron the teachings of christ. We know for a fact that tithing is not a christian teaching but a fraudulent manipulation of Jewish teachings to suit the greed of tithe propagators. The question arises, what would Jesus do? Any one who claims to be a follower of christ and a believer in his gospel would not even hesitate to help the brother in need instead of upholding a false greed motivated man made doctrine like modern day tithing that has very dubious biblical foundation.

@ Poster
Please ensure you use your 'tithes' to help your friend in need as that is the will of God. You may also wish to read deut 14:22-29 this scripture proves that you can use your tithes to help those in need if you choose to tithe. It also proves that the church interpretation of tithe today is false, greedy, self centred and manipulative. When you finish reading that read Hebrews 7 :5-19, here tithing was abolished for christians and described as a weak useless and unprofitable law. God bless you as you help your brother in need.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by arsenefc: 10:46am On Oct 03, 2011
fummylolah:

Similar incidence happened to me 4 months ago. a junior colleague of mine had his first daughter at UCH Ibadan because she had kidney related ailment. There was no place for him to get money cause he actually dropped his whole salary for treatment and has borrowed from everybody he can imagine( kidney problem of over 7 yrs) and still needs more or else his daughter (14yrs) would die,  I prayed to God and asked for forgiveness if i was doing d wrong thing by giving the guy my tithe. i also made d guy to understand dat i was giving him my tithe and so he should use it for d purpose to which i am giving him. i beleive there are some conditions to which the tithe can also be used to help the needy, Pls correct me if i was also wrong,

You asked for forgiveness from god before you could help a fellow man?

What a heartless mo'afucker you serve! I dont want to worship your god. He is too authoritarian and greedy. Why does he want all the money to himself? Why? What a freaking greedy, gluttonous god you serve
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 10:47am On Oct 03, 2011
debosky:

That's missing the point - if he has already set aside the 10%, God accepts using 'his money'  to help the needy and he should feel free to do so.  No one is saying the 10% would do the job - you don't refuse to assist someone because you think your assistance doesn't solve the problem completely. The man needs help now, give what you can - that's all a person can do.

It is ALL God's money - God gives everything so this artificial division doesn't exist - anything he gives the man is God's money, and since he's already set aside this 10%, he can use it in a way God approves of - helping your brother in need.

I repeat - this artificial elevation of giving to the church above giving to those in need is very wrong. The church is made up of people - if you give to a member of the church, you have given to the church. It's really that simple.
Hear the OP
The money in my hands, isn't it God's money?
I am here asking for your advise because I ended up not dropping the tithe and I am still holding on to it hoping to give it to that brother to settle part of his children school fees so they can get back to school. I would av loved to assist him from another source but wat i av left is not even enof for my monthly transportation cost not to talk of some other needs I am yet to meet.
Poster said in title that he's "Tempted to assist a family with GOD'S MONEY(TITHE)". He clearly makes a distinction. 90% or as he calls it 'another source' is what he thinks to be his, and it's not enough for his 'transport and other needs'. I wonder who in this world has money enough for his transport and other needs. If he wants to help, he should truly help and stop been hypocritical and greedy about it. He can sacrifice, no? Sebi na him be good sam.
Since to 'you', it's all God's money, it lends more credence as to why he can use the other 90% of God's money. He takes some part, give out some part, and give 'God' some part of God's money, shikena. Candid advice.

hing so this artificial division doesn't exist - anything he gives the man is God's money, and since he's already set aside this 10%, he can use it in a way God approves of - helping your brother in need.

[/quote]
Hear the OP
[quote]The money in my hands, isn't it God's money?
I am here asking for your advise because I ended up not dropping the tithe and I am still holding on to it hoping to give it to that brother to settle part of his children school fees so they can get back to school. I would av loved to assist him from another source but wat i av left is not even enof for my monthly transportation cost not to talk of some other needs I am yet to meet.
Poster said in title that he's "Tempted to assist a family with GOD'S MONEY(TITHE)". He clearly makes a distinction. 90% or as he calls it 'another source' is what he thinks to be his, and it's not enough for his 'transport and other needs'. I wonder who in this world has money enough for his transport and other needs. If he wants to help, he should truly help and stop been hypocritical and greedy about it. He can sacrifice, no? Sebi na him be good sam.
Since to 'you', it's all God's money, it lends more credence as to why he can use the other 90% of God's money. He takes some part, give out some part, and give 'God' some part of God's money, shikena. Candid advice.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by texazzpete(m): 10:50am On Oct 03, 2011
fummylolah:

Similar incidence happened to me 4 months ago. a junior colleague of mine had his first daughter at UCH Ibadan because she had kidney related ailment. There was no place for him to get money cause he actually dropped his whole salary for treatment and has borrowed from everybody he can imagine( kidney problem of over 7 yrs) and still needs more or else his daughter (14yrs) would die, I prayed to God and asked for forgiveness if i was doing d wrong thing by giving the guy my tithe. i also made d guy to understand dat i was giving him my tithe and so he should use it for d purpose to which i am giving him. i beleive there are some conditions to which the tithe can also be used to help the needy, Pls correct me if i was also wrong,

You are truly pathetic.
You are supposed to give your Tithe to God (if you believe in the Tithing doctrine - personally i don't). Jesus Christ took the pains to show how you do things for God when you do things for the needy. What happened to "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brethren, that you do unto me"?!
Abeg help the needy when you can with your tithe money. You are handing it directly to God and not to some greedy Pastor.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by emmatok(m): 10:52am On Oct 03, 2011
@OP

Tithe or no Tithe, that money is not your money.

It belong to the suffering member of your church, some of them can't feed yet they pay tithe.

It is absolutely wrong, to give other peoples money kept in your care.

Will you tell your members you spent their money, when some of the are pay through their nose.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by arsenefc: 10:55am On Oct 03, 2011
texazzpete:

You are truly pathetic.
You are supposed to give your Tithe to God (if you believe in the Tithing doctrine - personally i don't). Jesus Christ took the pains to show how you do things for God when you do things for the needy. What happened to "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brethren, that you do unto me"?!
Abeg help the needy when you can with your tithe money. You are handing it directly to God and not to some greedy Pastor.

Oloshi ma ni baby yen ke

LOL

In fact, I need to get into this pastoring business. It is indeed a huge racket, this church thingy.

yeye yeyeye baba yeyeye yeyeye baba Ogun orun oooooooooooooooooooooo

E so kale wa, e wa gba Tithe ooooooo ROFLMAO
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by thehomer: 11:00am On Oct 03, 2011
Wow. So it is a temptation to use your own money to help your own to help a friend in need?
This shows that you're a compassionate person whose church has corrupted into thinking that they need the money more than your friend does.
I used to think that people like that were the ones such gatherings were for but nowadays, all we see is greed.

It isn't a temptation but a natural compassion that you have for your fellow man in need. Do what you will but try asking the church authorities to help him lets see what happens in the house of God.

1 Like

Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Image123(m): 11:08am On Oct 03, 2011
i'd come to reply later, network's doubling my posts at an amazing rate.
But people just mumbo jumbo scriptures anyhow to suit their purpose sha. Maybe i've got to go pray to any of my brethren now, since 'whatever you do to your brethren you do to God' is the new revelation. Keep deceiving yourselves.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by stagger: 11:17am On Oct 03, 2011
The OP himself is deluded. He has withheld the money he would have used to pay tithe. I think he wants to use the money for some other purpose.

How much is the tithe that you want to use to pay school fees for your friend? How much is school fees? School fees is not N2,000, or even N20,000.

The dude has enough money to help his friend. Now he wants to rob his Maker in the pretext of paying school fees.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by debosky(m): 11:48am On Oct 03, 2011
emmatok:

@OP

Tithe or no Tithe, that money is not your money.

It belong to the suffering member of your church, some of them can't feed yet they pay tithe.

It is absolutely wrong, to give other peoples money kept in your care.

Will you tell your members you spent their money, when some of the are pay through their nose.

How has it become the members' money - are churches now esusu or co-operative societies or where people give freely as they decide?

Madness has replaced sanity in many of these so called churches if this is how their members reason.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 03, 2011
[size=18pt]Religion is a B I T C H. It is now a temptation to do Good WOW![/size]
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by PastorKun(m): 12:06pm On Oct 03, 2011
The fact remains that biblical tithe was not money neither was it from income. Any preacher that preaches that tithes is money from your income is manipulating the scriptures for selfish gain. I do acknowledge though that some preachers are preaching this false doctrine ignorantly but if they are ignorant, that suggests that they are not competent enough to lead the flock. Some preachers also know the truth but their love of and greed for money would not allow them come clean.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by martinosi: 12:07pm On Oct 03, 2011
Agbo2:

I have a brother in my church who lost his job during the 2009 Tsunami experienced in Nigerian Banking sector.
He has been out of job since then, his wife is not working too with 3 kids to cater for.
Before the service started this morning, we spent 5 to 7 mins together and he let me into a little of what he has been going through and that his 3 kids are yet to resume back to school because they don't have any money to pay their fees.

I encouraged him as a brother to keep praying to God, that only God is capable of pulling him through all this.
But come to think of it, will God come down from heaven to assist this brother in need?
The money in my hands, isn't it God's money?

I am here asking for your advise because I ended up not dropping the tithe and I am still holding on to it hoping to give it to that brother to settle part of his children school fees so they can get back to school.

I would av loved to assist him from another source but wat i av left is not even enof for my monthly transportation cost not to talk of some other needs I am yet to meet.

Candid advise only please.

GIVE THE BROTHER YOUR TITHE, THAT IS WHAT THE TITHE IS FOR,
ONLY 1/4 IS FOR THE PRIEST/HOUSE OF GOD, DEUTERONOMY 26:12
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by harakiri(m): 12:13pm On Oct 03, 2011
@Poster,According to you, NO ONE listens to him anymore ever since he lost his job. This alone shows how morally bankrupt religious people really are. When he was doing fine, he was regarded as a "good brother" of the church. Now that he's broke, they put him out in the sun to dry. How typical! I'm sure by now they'll be blaming his predicament on his "lack of faith".

Religion indeed is a disease of the mind. For someone to have a hard time deciding whether to help a brother in need or pay tithe to a pastor whose bank accout gets fatter every sunday shows how shallow and depraved the minds of religious folks are. With people like these, how can Nigeria move forward when all people think about is me,myself and I. They can't make sacrifices without expecting something back in return. Their relationship with their god is strictly based on what they believe they can gain. None of them are "true christians" coz none of them are ready to die for what they believe in. It's all about divine blessings and miracles. If the pastors where to tell them that their tithes was their insurance to make heaven, they'll stop paying tithe.

These are the same kind of people that will loot the treasury bare (after all,it's god's blessing in their lives) and yet, they blame the leaders in govt who share the same mentality of greed and selfishess as they do. I have said it before and I'll say it again :

REMOVE RELIGION TOTALLY FROM NIGERIA AND SEE IF WE DON'T ENTER THE LEAGUE OF DEVELOPING NATIONS WITHIN THE NEXT 10-15 YEARS! ! !
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by BOOBSLOVER: 12:42pm On Oct 03, 2011
Deuteronomy 14:22-29

New International Version (NIV)

Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And [b]do not neglect the Levite[/b]s living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the [b]Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows w[/b]ho live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by xxqwisit(f): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2011
@OP

So after all said, who got the money? pastor or brother or are you still deciding?
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by oohunt: 1:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
Depending on the situation you find yourself in, you always have to adjust. These kids can be put into cheaper schools (or if the situation is very bad a public school which is free in Lagos) while mother and father continues to find ways to earn something instead of staying at home. Apart from the school fees, I am sure they will have to cater for their other needs: rent, feeding etc. In a nutshell, you need to ensure the money is used well.

Whether you decide to give the money to him or to the church as tithe, you need to talk to your God about it. Since He alone can judge you, you must communicate to him.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2011
POSTER!!! A word is enough for the wise. Even the devil knows how to quote scriptures to mislead people. Don't be misled. You know what you enjoy by paying your tithe. Most Great men of God emphasize on TITHES and Seed Sowing because it brings prosperity. I don't mean to start any religious war but have you forgotten that muslims and pagans are on this website too? Secondly, what has happened to the remaining 90% of your allowance? Ask any man of God about tithing and they will tell you never to joke with you TITHE. @ RAMALOT and CO, Concerning Angelic assistance! Have you listened to testimonies of believers and testimonies of great men of God? If you have not, then ask your local pastor about the MINISTRY OF ANGELS, If He or she is deep rooted in the bible and has the HOLY SPIRIT, they would be able to explain to you about the MINISTRY OF THE ANGELS,
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by andyanders: 2:45pm On Oct 03, 2011
Go ahead and sow that seed in the live of that brother and God will open the doors and windows of heaven and bless you. Carry him along by assisting him because the love you show in his life, is a blessing for you and your children in years to come. Love is greater than anything ever preached. T.B Joshua practices love that nobody has ever done here in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
When you show love and practice love, endless blessings follows because that is the preaching and teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ= LOVE.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Olayinkaoj(m): 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2011
The Levite were the prayer warriors for the Israelite. The levites always staed indoor praying for their country people and seeking the face of God always. The Levites did not have any source of food apart from what they were given by the fellow Israelite and so God made it mandatory for all Israelite to bring 10th of their farm produce so that the Levite would be able to eat and give to others in the synagogue. It was a must then, so that people in the synagogue (Churches then) could eat. Today, our synagogues (Churches) have more than enough, yet few of them take care of the less privileges in the church adequately, rather, churches are doing the businesses of building schools which church members can not afford to send their kids. Churches have more they can eat and most of them are not giving those members who are hungry something to eat but rather buying big cars. Nothing is wrong in buying big cars but let 'feed' those that are 'hungry' first

Tithe is a commandment and ''love your neighbour as yourself' is another, but one supersedes another as the case may be. Please, God himself does not spend money, but for the upkeep of the church, and where the church is not caring out the responsibility of ''feeding'' their members that lack, let worshipers come in and do better
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by nuclearboy(m): 3:38pm On Oct 03, 2011

this artificial elevation of giving to the church above giving to those in need is very wrong. The church is made up of people - if you give to a member of the church, you have given to the church. It's really that simple.

God bless you for the statements above, Debo!

And Harakiri, you are more of a Christ-follower than many of the empty headed church goers here
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by horny4u(f): 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2011
debosky:

How has it become the members' money - are churches now esusu or co-operative societies or where people give freely as they decide?

Madness has replaced sanity in many of these so called churches if this is how their members reason.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by stagger: 3:52pm On Oct 03, 2011
OP,

stop deceiving yourself. See how satan wants to tempt you to rob God. God is not greedy. He has only asked for 10% and let you keep 90%. Yet you still want to take even the little 10% God has given you.

As for all the stu!pid atheists here, the 10% and 30% personal and corporate tax you are paying to the Nigerian government; what has it been used for since 1960 Nigeria became independent? Who dey talk?

When you people go to your shrines and occultic covens and you are asked to sleep with mad women and submit human heads, body parts, your close relations and all what not for money, political positions, etc, is that not the tithe you people are paying to the devil, which by the way never stops because you need to keep renewing whatever it is you get there? May God strike all of you with judgement ad infinitum for blaspheming His Name! Nonsense! angry angry angry

OP, take money from your 90% and help your brother. Better still, help him sort himself out. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Shikena!
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Enigma(m): 4:19pm On Oct 03, 2011
@ stagger

Please take part in this poll: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-747403.0.html

Also, kindly eplain the reason for voting the way you do/did.

Thanks.
Re: Tempted To Assist A Family With God's Money (Tithe) by Starlett: 4:33pm On Oct 03, 2011
Interesting topic and discussions. But unfortunately, as usual I see people contributing largely based on what they've heard in Church and what they've heard from others, NOT from the Bible.
Now according to scriptures, the tithe is to be strictly used for the following purposes:
1. The upkeep of the clergy - yes, a good portion of the tithes ought to end up "in the Pastor's pocket", like it or not. The old testament priesthood was a full time calling and they depended on the tithes and other special offerings for their upkeep. What U have these days is that most people are unhappy to think that the pastor is the beneficiary of the tithe, in fact, a lot of churches don't even allow the local Pastor to smell the tithe. Everything is shipped off to the headquarters and used for capital projects, that's not the OT Biblical pattern (Num 18:24-28)

2. The welfare of the less privileged. Duet. 14:28 - This happened every 3 years and was strictly for the less-privileged in your immediate neighbourhood - the Levite, the fatherless, the widow, etc - So for the OP asking whether U can assist someone with your tithe, it's not only allowed, it is in fact COMMANDED.

3. As a holy meal sacred unto the LORD, strictly to be eaten in His presence. (Deut 12:6-7) I could go and on about tithes and tithing. SO much of what we teach and learn in our churches today are simply myths, with no bearing from Scriptures.

One thing we must note is that the much quoted scriptures in Malachi simply deal with the benefits of tithing and the negative impacts of not tithing, but NOT with what the tithe should be used for and to whom it should be given, how frequently, etc. We are the ones who have simply refused to sit down and study about tithing for our own spiritual good.

Anyone who studies the details of tithing in the old testament law - The 5 books of Moses where reference is made to it, particularly in Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, will realise that just like anything else under the law, it is IMPOSSIBLE to fulfil 100%. You can only do tithing as a covenant between U and God, same way that Abraham tithed in Genesis before the Law.

God bless,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Is The Best Pastor In Nigeria? / Nairalanders Incurring God's Wrath By Abusing God's Men / What Is Your Favourite Bible Passage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.