Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,955 members, 7,838,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? (14707 Views)

If You Are The Poorest Amongst Your Siblings Avoid Family Gatherings. / How's Your Relationship With Your Siblings? Toxic Or Healthy? / Help, I'm Not Emotionally Attached To My Mother, Siblings And Extended Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by stevestifler(m): 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2023
Hvae your own kids and it will reduce the attention and space they occupy in your heart.

And since you are already sweet to them, they will be nice to your children too as cousins.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by XAUBulls: 12:03pm On Jun 23, 2023
Samantha124:
This is the issue I have, I find myself being emotionally attached to my nephews and nieces.. I think them and I have this special bond to a point that most of them also feel comfortable opening up to me.

This past weekend my nephew was taken to an initiation school, I just had to travel all the way from Durban to Polokwane just to see him before he leaves... The last time I left home the relationship between me and my mom wasn't going so well, but my father managed to talk to me and asked that I forgive her even though it's not easy... I was able to put everything aside for the sake of my nephew because I wanted to see him before he leaves for the initiation school.

Those who may wonder what an initiation school is, it's a cultural school whereby kids who are about to enter puberty, or are already in puberty are taken in order to be taught cultural virtues and principles of transitioning from childhood to teenhood.

His mother brought him to the family house on Saturday afternoon, I spent the entire afternoon gisting with him and he was nervous about the whole thing of going to an initiation school... I had to calm him down.. They were already late because other kids had left with their guardians to the mountains in the morning... My mother then called the royal house to make some inquiries and she was told that they could bring the child the following morning which was Sunday.

The following morning my parents and my sister along with my nephew left for the royal house in the village, the boy's father met them there and from there, the boy and the father were taken to the mountains, where the boy will stay with the others for four weeks.

The father just wanted to drop his son in the mountains and leave afterwards, but he was told that he must be around for at least 2 days to make sure that his son is well settled.

It was so difficult seeing him leave and I couldn't hold my tears, he's just so adorable and I sometimes wonder if he'll be able cope with the living conditions in the mountains for four weeks.

I remembered of how he talked about wanting a PlayStation when he visited the family house back in December, so I bought a PlayStation 5 for him as his graduation gift from the initiation school, they'll be having a party at his home when he returns, but I won't be able to go because of the protection order I have against his father... I gave the gift to my sister for her to give it to him.

The relationship between his father and I may not be good, but I love the boy so much like he's my own.

My other brother in law has also talked of how his children look up to me... grin grin grin

So I'd like to know if you guys have also found yourself emotionally attached to your siblings' children.
Hi there baby lawyer! wink Interesting... A Sepedi initiation ceremony... Are you from a royal family?

Second, Samantha, it's quite natural...
Moreover as a female, you've got maternal instincts in you. Most of all, you practically saw them grow from childbirth right up to this moment.
I'm certain you'll make a great and intentional mum. wink

For me as a man, my younger sister's son was smart for his age and also handsome as a kid. So, I just naturally liked him like he was my own biological son as well. He also played those teenage rebellions as well from above the age of 16 years... it certainly had to do with the raging hormones in the teenage years. I had to talk to him to keep him in check... Now, he's about to leave the teenage years and move to the next phase in life.

Nice thread.
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 23, 2023
No, I'm not from a royal family.

You sound like a great uncle too.. smiley smiley smiley
XAUBulls:

Hi there baby lawyer! wink Interesting... A Sepedi initiation ceremony... Are you from a royal family?

Second, Samantha, it's quite natural...
Moreover as a female, you've got maternal instincts in you. Most of all, you practically saw them grow from childbirth right up to this moment.
I'm certain you'll make a great and intentional mum. wink

For me as a man, my younger sister's son was smart for his age and also handsome as a kid. So, I just naturally liked him like he was my own biological son as well. He also played those teenage rebellions as well from above the age of 16 years... it certainly had to do with the raging hormones in the teenage years. I had to talk to him to keep him in check... Now, he's about to leave the teenage years and move to the next phase in life.

Nice thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by XAUBulls: 12:28pm On Jun 23, 2023
Samantha124:
No, I'm not from a royal family.

You sound like a great uncle too.. smiley smiley smiley
Ah, alright then Samantha. A "great uncle" you say?... Well thank you dear. We'll keep trying.

I'll talk to you later.

Take care.
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by GloriousGbola: 1:30pm On Jun 23, 2023
Klass99:

undecided For your mind na this thing wey you talk make sense, abi?

I was making a reference to the Mandinka tribe. Kunta kintes tribe. They had a &'manhood training' camp where all boys were taken too on their teens. Like some proto boot camp. Taught to hunt, live off the land etc. It culimated in the Kasas boyo operation (circumcision) where the hood was cut off the foto (Mandinka word for penis)

Incidentally several African cultures also practice circumcision or fgm as part of the rites of passage for females from childhood to womanhood.

Ultimately though these trainings have as much relevance as southern debutante ceremonies.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Klass99(f): 1:55pm On Jun 23, 2023
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by flyinnizam(m): 7:01am On Jun 25, 2023
Samantha124:
South African.
may I know why u are interested in Nigeria news
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 25, 2023
I'm not, I just wanted to get to know you guys better so I can learn to understand your ways.
flyinnizam:
may I know why u are interested in Nigeria news
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by flyinnizam(m): 10:17am On Jun 25, 2023
Samantha124:
I'm not, I just wanted to get to know you guys better so I can learn to understand your ways.
Tbh, nairaland is a terrible place to understand us because so many people are just showing their frustration here but goodluck with your desires

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 25, 2023
I've noticed... grin grin grin

But thanks.
flyinnizam:
Tbh, nairaland is a terrible place to understand us because so many people are just showing their frustration here but goodluck with your desires

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by cho25bc(f): 5:14am On Jun 26, 2023
Samantha124:
This is the issue I have, I find myself being emotionally attached to my nephews and nieces.. I think them and I have this special bond to a point that most of them also feel comfortable opening up to me.

This past weekend my nephew was taken to an initiation school, I just had to travel all the way from Durban to Polokwane just to see him before he leaves... The last time I left home the relationship between me and my mom wasn't going so well, but my father managed to talk to me and asked that I forgive her even though it's not easy... I was able to put everything aside for the sake of my nephew because I wanted to see him before he leaves for the initiation school.

Those who may wonder what an initiation school is, it's a cultural school whereby kids who are about to enter puberty, or are already in puberty are taken in order to be taught cultural virtues and principles of transitioning from childhood to teenhood.

His mother brought him to the family house on Saturday afternoon, I spent the entire afternoon gisting with him and he was nervous about the whole thing of going to an initiation school... I had to calm him down.. They were already late because other kids had left with their guardians to the mountains in the morning... My mother then called the royal house to make some inquiries and she was told that they could bring the child the following morning which was Sunday.

The following morning my parents and my sister along with my nephew left for the royal house in the village, the boy's father met them there and from there, the boy and the father were taken to the mountains, where the boy will stay with the others for four weeks.

The father just wanted to drop his son in the mountains and leave afterwards, but he was told that he must be around for at least 2 days to make sure that his son is well settled.

It was so difficult seeing him leave and I couldn't hold my tears, he's just so adorable and I sometimes wonder if he'll be able cope with the living conditions in the mountains for four weeks.

I remembered of how he talked about wanting a PlayStation when he visited the family house back in December, so I bought a PlayStation 5 for him as his graduation gift from the initiation school, they'll be having a party at his home when he returns, but I won't be able to go because of the protection order I have against his father... I gave the gift to my sister for her to give it to him.

The relationship between his father and I may not be good, but I love the boy so much like he's my own.

My other brother in law has also talked of how his children look up to me... grin grin grin

So I'd like to know if you guys have also found yourself emotionally attached to your siblings' children.

Can you please explain the bolded? Who has the protection order, you or his father? angry
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 26, 2023
Me.

And before you make judgements with that angry face of yours, just know that the court must first have sufficient evidence in order to grant a person a protection order, it's not something that's just given out just like that.

There must also be some people who are willing to testify to the matter at hand.

But I can't stop loving an innocent child based on his father's wrong doings.
cho25bc:

Can you please explain the bolded? Who has the protection order, you or his father? angry
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by TheSuperX(m): 7:57am On Jun 26, 2023
Samantha124:
You are so obsessed with us and we don't give a damn about y'all.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by cho25bc(f): 4:15am On Jun 28, 2023
Samantha124:
Me.

And before you make judgements with that angry face of yours, just know that the court must first have sufficient evidence in order to grant a person a protection order, it's not something that's just given out just like that.

There must also be some people who are willing to testify to the matter at hand.

But I can't stop loving an innocent child based on his father's wrong doings.

Lol. My apologies grin. I didnt mean for the emoji to be an angry one but a confused one, meaning that i was confused about who has the protection restrain order between you and your cousin's dad. Im sorry once again if you got me wrong.

What i asked is that who has the restrain/protection order? Is it you or the father? That statement wasnt clear to me and that's why i highlighted it for you. And im glad that you have clarified it for me.

And i will never judge you for anything smiley. I dont even know what you did wrong. Anyway, keep loving the lovely boy. His spirit will reward you one day wink

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Mryacks: 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2023
I am like you. I absolutely love my nieces and nephews. Infact, I am just like a "child" around them so they warm to me more than other uncles and aunts.... grin sometimes I feel their parents cannot take care of them the way I will do. Weird ooh grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
I love my aunt/uncle and their kids
I'd do anything for my nephew and nieces.

They are great part of my story, I'm glad dad let me move in with different families at a tender age that makes me share bond with different family.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by kushme: 4:07pm On Aug 06, 2023
tojahh:
My Daughter is my sister's child. She's too fond of her. Everyday she will call and be talking to her on video, my daughter is just 7 months. She can't even respond but you see her having conversations and all that.

My Daughter will just be leaking the phone. grin. I don tire for those two. The gifts she has gotten from my sister is worth over 400k. Even stuff she can't even use.

This is lovely and funny mehn.. 🤣😃😄😆.
Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by goodmike7: 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2023
Yankiss:
Very interesting. Are there fetish practices in such schools? Do churches object to their members being there? Is money paid by the parents of participants? Is the initiation school still popular as in the past or is it undergoing modernism-induced attrition?
She is just being vague with you people here,

Thie initiation she is talking about in what they call the mountain is the traditional way of CIRCUMCISION,.. unlike every other sane people who caries out circumcisionion to male kids immediately after birth or 7 days with respect to christianity, South africans do their when a guy reaches the age of 16/17/18 and above...In this barbaric practice a lot of them die in the mountain during this initiation...the call it welcoming you into adulthood what er experienced as infants, imagine the unbearable pains of cutting the foreskin with unsterilized local equipments,

Till date they still have grown ass men in theor 30s with uncircumsized dicks.

@Samantha124 did i lie?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Found Yourself Emotionally Attached To Your Siblings' Children? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2023
I don't know.
goodmike7:

She is just being vague with you people here,

Thie initiation she is talking about in what they call the mountain is the traditional way of CIRCUMCISION,.. unlike every other sane people who caries out circumcisionion to male kids immediately after birth or 7 days with respect to christianity, South africans do their when a guy reaches the age of 16/17/18 and above...In this barbaric practice a lot of them die in the mountain during this initiation...the call it welcoming you into adulthood what er experienced as infants, imagine the unbearable pains of cutting the foreskin with unsterilized local equipments,

Till date they still have grown ass men in theor 30s with uncircumsized dicks.

@Samantha124 did i lie?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Deal With A Snoring Bedmate / The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom! / Here Are A Few Security Tips In The Light Of The Security Challenge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.