Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,975 members, 7,810,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? (41761 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by abufadllullah(m): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2023
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail.

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Omihanifa: 6:14pm On Jun 26, 2023
You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.

154 Likes 13 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by larryking78(m): 6:17pm On Jun 26, 2023
Omihanifa:
You are supposed to say it if you know it. Don't insult people when they ask question.

770 Likes 47 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by talk2hb1(m): 6:52pm On Jun 26, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s][Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons). Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail. Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?
[s]
It means the person graduated with Honors, no extra year. That’s what I heard from someone though, I never get to confirm it.
[/s]

@abufadllullah
Difference between Bsc (Hons) and Bsc
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-bsc-and-bsc-hons/#ixzz3cnejUnpC

106 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by abufadllullah(m): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2023
Omihanifa:
I pray you find peace In a way because you deserve it. If you know what it means, you are supposed to just stay it for obvious transfer of Knowledge not insult my degree!

310 Likes 17 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by abufadllullah(m): 6:55pm On Jun 26, 2023
talk2hb1:

It means the person graduated with Honors, no extra year. That’s what I heard from someone though, I never get to confirm it.
Okay Thank you!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by manmade(m): 7:56pm On Jun 26, 2023
Wikipedia has this to say : Honours degree has various meanings in the context of different degrees and education systems. Most commonly it refers to a variant of the undergraduate bachelor's degree containing a larger volume of material or a higher standard of study, or both, rather than an "ordinary", "general" or "pass" bachelor's degree. Honours degrees are sometimes indicated by "Hons" after the degree abbreviation, with various punctuation according to local custom, e.g. "BA (Hons)", "B.A., Hons", etc. In Canada, honours degrees may be indicated with an "H" preceding the degree abbreviation, e.g. "HBA" for Honours Bachelor of Arts[1] or Honours Business Administration.[2]

Examples of honours degree include the honors bachelor's degree in the United States;[3] the bachelor's degree with honours in the United Kingdom,[4] the Netherlands,[5] Bangladesh,[6] Hong Kong,[7] and India;[8] the honours bachelor's degree in Ireland;[9] the bachelor with honours and bachelor honours degree in New Zealand; the bachelor with honours and honours bachelor's degree in Canada;[10] and the bachelor honours degree in Australia.[11] In South Africa the bachelor honours degree is a postgraduate degree that follows on from the completion of a bachelor's degree.[12] The undergraduate master of arts degree awarded by the ancient universities of Scotland in place of the bachelor of arts may be awarded as an honours or non-honours degree; these are at the same level as equivalent bachelor's degrees.[13][14] At master's level, the integrated master's degrees in British universities, which students enter at the same level as bachelor's degrees, are also honours degrees.[15]

Many universities and colleges offer both honours and non-honours bachelor's degrees. In most countries where honours degrees are granted, they imply a higher level of achievement than a non-honours degree. In some countries (e.g. Australia), an honours degree may also involve a longer period of study than a non-honours degree.[11] Students who complete all the requirements for a non-honours bachelor's degree but do not receive sufficient merit to be awarded an honours degree would normally be awarded a non-honours degree (sometimes known as a "pass", "general" or "ordinary" degree), although students who do not complete the requirements for an integrated master's honours degree may receive a bachelor's honours degree.[16] In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, almost all bachelor's degrees are awarded as honours degrees; in contrast, honours degrees are rarely awarded in the United States.

The current British undergraduate degree classification system, with its division into first, upper and lower second, and third class honours, was developed in 1918 to distinguish between students on the basis of their academic achievement.[17] The concept of an "honours" degree goes back much further than this, however, as there were examinations for honours in the original regulations of the University of London in 1839,[18] and Nevil Maskelyne being recorded as taking a bachelor's degree with honours at Cambridge in 1754.[19] Other countries influenced by this system include Australia, Brunei, Canada, New Zealand, Malta, Singapore, South Africa, The Netherlands and Hong Kong.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Buharidgeneral: 8:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
manmade:
Wikipedia has this to say : Honours degree has various meanings in the context of different degrees and education systems. Most commonly it refers to a variant of the undergraduate bachelor's degree containing a larger volume of material or a higher standard of study, or both, rather than an "ordinary", "general" or "pass" bachelor's degree. Honours degrees are sometimes indicated by "Hons" after the degree abbreviation, with various punctuation according to local custom, e.g. "BA (Hons)", "B.A., Hons", etc. In Canada, honours degrees may be indicated with an "H" preceding the degree abbreviation, e.g. "HBA" for Honours Bachelor of Arts[1] or Honours Business Administration.[2]

Examples of honours degree include the honors bachelor's degree in the United States;[3] the bachelor's degree with honours in the United Kingdom,[4] the Netherlands,[5] Bangladesh,[6] Hong Kong,[7] and India;[8] the honours bachelor's degree in Ireland;[9] the bachelor with honours and bachelor honours degree in New Zealand; the bachelor with honours and honours bachelor's degree in Canada;[10] and the bachelor honours degree in Australia.[11] In South Africa the bachelor honours degree is a postgraduate degree that follows on from the completion of a bachelor's degree.[12] The undergraduate master of arts degree awarded by the ancient universities of Scotland in place of the bachelor of arts may be awarded as an honours or non-honours degree; these are at the same level as equivalent bachelor's degrees.[13][14] At master's level, the integrated master's degrees in British universities, which students enter at the same level as bachelor's degrees, are also honours degrees.[15]

Many universities and colleges offer both honours and non-honours bachelor's degrees. In most countries where honours degrees are granted, they imply a higher level of achievement than a non-honours degree. In some countries (e.g. Australia), an honours degree may also involve a longer period of study than a non-honours degree.[11] Students who complete all the requirements for a non-honours bachelor's degree but do not receive sufficient merit to be awarded an honours degree would normally be awarded a non-honours degree (sometimes known as a "pass", "general" or "ordinary" degree), although students who do not complete the requirements for an integrated master's honours degree may receive a bachelor's honours degree.[16] In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, almost all bachelor's degrees are awarded as honours degrees; in contrast, honours degrees are rarely awarded in the United States.

The current British undergraduate degree classification system, with its division into first, upper and lower second, and third class honours, was developed in 1918 to distinguish between students on the basis of their academic achievement.[17] The concept of an "honours" degree goes back much further than this, however, as there were examinations for honours in the original regulations of the University of London in 1839,[18] and Nevil Maskelyne being recorded as taking a bachelor's degree with honours at Cambridge in 1754.[19] Other countries influenced by this system include Australia, Brunei, Canada, New Zealand, Malta, Singapore, South Africa, The Netherlands and Hong Kong.
this epistle is not necessary. Just one sentence is ok

279 Likes 20 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by captainbangz: 8:46pm On Jun 26, 2023
talk2hb1:

Is this true? I used to believe this, untill I know someone that had an extra year with a "Hons".

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by oz4real83(m): 9:02pm On Jun 26, 2023
It means you have invisible "horns" cheesy grin

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Kingsasian(m): 9:51pm On Jun 26, 2023
talk2hb1:

not true. I had an extra year but was awarded with an honour

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by unity004(m): 10:07pm On Jun 26, 2023
In the context of a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree with honors in Biochemistry, the term "honors" typically indicates that the program is an advanced and specialized version of the standard undergraduate degree. Here's what "honors" signifies in this context:

Enhanced Rigor and Depth: BSc honors programs generally offer a higher level of academic challenge and depth compared to the regular BSc degree. The curriculum often includes additional advanced coursework and research opportunities specific to the field of biochemistry.

Research Component: Honors programs commonly require students to complete an independent research project or thesis under the guidance of a faculty member. This research experience allows students to delve deeper into a particular area of biochemistry and develop valuable research skills.

Academic Distinction: Graduating with honors indicates that a student has achieved a high level of academic performance throughout their undergraduate studies. Specific criteria for earning honors may vary between universities, but it typically involves maintaining a high grade point average (GPA) and fulfilling certain academic requirements set by the institution.

Competitive Advantage: Having an honors degree can provide an advantage when applying for advanced studies (such as a Master's or Ph.D.) or when pursuing career opportunities. It demonstrates a student's commitment to academic excellence, research proficiency, and specialized knowledge in biochemistry.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by BscHolder: 10:14pm On Jun 26, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons). Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail. Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?
what's the name of the Institution you graduated from?
Their license needs to be revoked by NUC

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by larryking78(m): 10:59pm On Jun 26, 2023
BscHolder:

Can I tell you the truth ? You may have sense but this write up doesn't add up at all. I will try not to insult.

For instance, how does the name of the institution he/she attended relate with the question? What concerns license of an institution with this post.

You see, I don't know you but I feel like it is expedient you relate with subject of a discussion, probably the writer is a professor who is conducting a research psychologically, you don't know, So i think you should channel your comment to provide helpful insight with the knowledge you have acquired through information dissemination because the best education anyone obtained is evident when it is well channelled to the society through teaching, insight and application of knowledge to improve the well being of the populace.

144 Likes 13 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by brendan007: 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2023
I'm not sure but I think it's when you have a kinda 2 in 1 degree. eg. Agricultural Economics and Extension.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by HugeElephant(f): 1:27am On Jun 27, 2023
BscHolder:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Ndipe(m): 3:34am On Jun 27, 2023
I think it means you graduated with honors. Check your G.P.A.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Oduok(m): 6:02am On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons). Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail. Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

In Nigerian and British university system, Bachelor's degree with Honours means you graduated with either First Class, Second Class or Third Class grade. It is only Pass that does not have Hons. Pass is Ordinary.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by OLEADTIPS: 6:04am On Jun 27, 2023
Typically, students receive honors on their degree when they have at least a 3.5 GPA.

9 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by samuelpeters(m): 6:27am On Jun 27, 2023
Honours means you graduated with either first class, 2.1 or 2.2.
Also, honours is added to our degree because it is compulsory to complete our undergraduate with a research work.

In some countries, you can graduate without honours if you didn't complete your degree with a research work.

This is the much I know.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by dandollaz: 6:41am On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
If not a joke you need to start afresh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by LONEWOLFJOHN: 6:47am On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
you tell us cos I'm very sure you don't know

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by maticar: 6:47am On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
grin grin grin
He's better than those that can't fill form sef
Omo ehhh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by maticar: 6:48am On Jun 27, 2023
LONEWOLFJOHN:
you tell us cos I'm very sure you don't know
As usual there will be people like you

Defender of anomalies and absurdity

8 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by labake1(f): 7:09am On Jun 27, 2023
It means you are honoured, go and collect your award

3 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by udede(m): 7:20am On Jun 27, 2023
Quota graduates every where.

4 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by TinubuShet(m): 7:21am On Jun 27, 2023
Seriously they need to revoke ur school license, Nigeria uni dey pump out dump head as graduate

9 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by JobAndVacancies: 7:50am On Jun 27, 2023
larryking78:

Can I tell you the truth ? You may have sense but this write up doesn't add up at all. I will try not to insult.

For instance, how does the name of the institution he/she attended relate with the question? What concerns license of an institution with this post.

You see, I don't know you but I feel like it is expedient you relate with subject of a discussion, probably the writer is a professor who is conducting a research psychologically, you don't know, So i think you should channel your comment to provide helpful insight with the knowledge you have acquired through information dissemination because the best education anyone obtained is evident when it is well channelled to the society through teaching, insight and application of knowledge to improve the well being of the populace.
crap

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by JobAndVacancies: 7:54am On Jun 27, 2023
OLEADTIPS:
Typically, students receive honors on their degree when they have at least a 3.5 GPA.

I had a 2.2 but hons is attached in my statement of result

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNIOSUN Students: "Free Dr Sesan, He Didn't Flog Us We Were Only Catching Fun" / OAU Female Student 'Ran Mad' While Reading For Exam / LAUTECH 2013/2014 Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.