Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,401 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? (41857 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by jayyem(m): 7:28pm On Jun 27, 2023
Maysdevices:
There is obviously nothing wrong with wanting to learn in humility. I myself started with such a degree but dropped out and I googled the meaning in my first year, however everyone is different.

The only reason I’m awed is the op said he used the internet and still couldn’t find the answer. My ten year old cousins can do that. You have to admit, that is quite worrisome.

A simple Google search with give you over 12 answers immediately, I believe this post is attention seeking.

If not, I can never understand such a person and will withhold my opinion and not share it brazenly like the guy you quoted.

You've got a valid point

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Cassandraloius: 7:35pm On Jun 27, 2023
Mine was same, very sweet result that couldn't even fetch me a good paying job. But I won't give up, God will remember me someday.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Jimmy231: 7:40pm On Jun 27, 2023
Bsc hons simply means you graduated at the aloted time not necessarily extra year, some people they defer admission for years nah those people no the get hons. And some people nah school go tell them to come they go nah those kind certificate no they get hons. Your extra year must not pass normal to get hons. Efi idea gbe
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by mediafada(m): 7:51pm On Jun 27, 2023
Hons in Nigerian system is used to indicate that the program is in a specialized field, not a general field.

E.g Animal Science (Hons)
Agric Science (Not hons)

2 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by oluwatodimu1(m): 7:53pm On Jun 27, 2023
BSc: Bachelor of Science
Awarding BSc or BSc (Hons) degree is usually a decided at the inception of that course by the Institution. Your class of degree doesn't determine this.
Whether your certificate reads with honors or without honors, it doesn't mean anything to employers of labour. So develop your self...
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by StJasper(m): 7:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail.

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

B. Sc. means Bachelor of Science.

The hons has no importance. It has to do with the schools or educational systems.

Many people have graduated with first class grade with no carry over and hons was not added to their graduating degree.

Though some will tell you it is because the person didn't have any carry over, but I don't think it is true.

B.A is equal to B.Sc.
None is higher than the other. It is just about the course of study.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Godwinmy: 7:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
BSC HONOURS IS MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO EXPRESSED REPUTABLE CHARACTER WITH GOOD MORALS DURING THEIR STUDIED IN THE UNIVERSITY.THEY DIDN'T INVOLVED IN DRUG ABUSE,CULTISM AND OTHER ACADEMIC CRIMES.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Lordatkinson: 7:59pm On Jun 27, 2023
Bsc means Bachelor of Science.
The hons means you graduated with a good character throughout the duration of your programme you were not found in any form of malpractice in the school neither were you caught belonging to any unlawful society on campus. For this, you a person of honour. BSc (Hons)

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by achimendy(m): 8:01pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

I don't know if the name of the course you studied in the university is hons, but what I know is B.sc simply means bachelor of science, and i guess that hons would mean honorary.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Fortune118005(m): 8:05pm On Jun 27, 2023
StJasper:

The hons has no importance. It has to do with the schools or educational systems.

Many people have graduated with first class grade with no carry over and hons was not added to their graduating degree.

Though some will tell you it is because the person didn't have any carry over, but I don't think it is true.

B.A is equal to B.Sc.
BSc Hons stands for Bachelor of Science with Honours. It is an undergraduate academic degree awarded to students who have completed a specific program of study in the field of science or related disciplines, such as mathematics, engineering, biology, physics, chemistry, computer science, etc.

The "Honours" designation signifies that the degree program included an additional level of specialization or depth beyond the standard Bachelor of Science degree. Honours programs typically require students to complete a higher number of credits or units, undertake advanced coursework, and often involve the completion of a research project or thesis.

The specific requirements for earning a BSc Hons degree may vary between universities or countries, but generally, it signifies a higher level of achievement and recognition for the student's academic performance and dedication in their chosen field of study.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Fortune118005(m): 8:06pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:

BSc Hons stands for Bachelor of Science with Honours. It is an undergraduate academic degree awarded to students who have completed a specific program of study in the field of science or related disciplines, such as mathematics, engineering, biology, physics, chemistry, computer science, etc.

The "Honours" designation signifies that the degree program included an additional level of specialization or depth beyond the standard Bachelor of Science degree. Honours programs typically require students to complete a higher number of credits or units, undertake advanced coursework, and often involve the completion of a research project or thesis.

The specific requirements for earning a BSc Hons degree may vary between universities or countries, but generally, it signifies a higher level of achievement and recognition for the student's academic performance and dedication in their chosen field of study.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by phemmyfour: 8:23pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:

Hons means honours

Bsc means Bachelor of Science

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Truthshotcrazy: 8:39pm On Jun 27, 2023
Oduok:

In Nigerian and British university system, Bachelor's degree with Honours means you graduated with either First Class, Second Class or Third Class grade. It is only Pass that does not have Hons. Pass is Ordinary.
Yeah thats true. I used to think it means person did not graduatr with 3rd class.
Didnt know even 3rd class have Hons. Attached grin
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Thereishel: 8:47pm On Jun 27, 2023
I graduated with Bsc. Honors here in USA. Over here it means first class but in Nigeria it means you graduated early than stipulated time maybe 3 years for four year course

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Bijust: 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2023
Fortune118005:

so you have seen b.eng with hons abi you just copy ND paste?
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by sirdest(m): 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2023
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Nwachi22(f): 9:36pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:

Honours are awarded to students who the university found worthy not only in academics but in character as well. Honours are not awarded to students who have issues in their character be it 1st class or 2^1.

One can be awarded 1st class or 2^1 without Honours.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by damoobaba: 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2023
captainbangz:
Is this true? I used to believe this, untill I know someone that had an extra year with a "Hons".

Shoo😮😮😮🤐🤐
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by luluman: 9:51pm On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.
That answer is the attitude of a typical Nigerian: If you know please teach.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by samokofafrica(m): 10:03pm On Jun 27, 2023
B.Sc (Hons) stands for Bachelor of Science (Honours) and is typically a more specialized and rigorous program than a regular B.Sc degree. B.Sc (Hons) programs often require additional coursework, research projects, or higher academic standards. In contrast, a regular B.Sc degree follows a more general curriculum without the same level of specialization or emphasis on research.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Melagros(m): 10:23pm On Jun 27, 2023
LONEWOLFJOHN:
you tell us cos I'm very sure you don't know
Abi grin
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Akpacha(m): 10:26pm On Jun 27, 2023
Dididrumz:

Are u taking everyone for ur mate?

You guys should tell me what course You studied in the university, and we're going to play a game. We'll drop our WhatsApp numbers, and we're going to do a video call. I'll ask You a question very relative to Your course of study, if You get the answer correctly, I'll send You 10k immediately, but if You fail, You'll send 10k to the OP of this thread for being bold to ask a question he doesn't know the answer.

PS: the video call is going to be screen recorded, and posted on a popular YouTube channel (I'm close to a few of them), and then it'll be posted here on Nairaland too.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Probz(m): 10:45pm On Jun 27, 2023
Probably been mentioned a million times on this thread already but Bachelor of Science (Honours).
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by HopeSpencer: 10:49pm On Jun 27, 2023
brendan007:
I'm not sure but I think it's when you have a kinda 2 in 1 degree. eg. Agricultural Economics and Extension.

No.

In my faculty where there are four departments, you must pass all courses from all the four departments from year 1 to 1st Semester year 5. By 2nd semester year 5, that is the only semester that will differentiate the students, that is the only time you won't sit for courses from other 3 departments. Year 5 2nd semester is the only time you will do courses in your department only. So it's safe to say that you graduate with 4 degrees. That's why my degree has Hons.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by McLizbae: 10:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
Who gave you that fab! 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣😅
talk2hb1:

[s]
It means the person graduated with Honors, no extra year. That’s what I heard from someone though, I never get to confirm it.
[/s]

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by TruthinAction: 10:59pm On Jun 27, 2023
StJasper:

B.A is equal to B.Sc.

We also have other degree such as B.Eng (Mechanical) or B.Eng (Civil) which is neither of the degrees you mentioned.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by chocboi78(m): 11:00pm On Jun 27, 2023
unity004:
In the context of a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree with honors in Biochemistry, the term "honors" typically indicates that the program is an advanced and specialized version of the standard undergraduate degree. Here's what "honors" signifies in this context:

Enhanced Rigor and Depth: BSc honors programs generally offer a higher level of academic challenge and depth compared to the regular BSc degree. The curriculum often includes additional advanced coursework and research opportunities specific to the field of biochemistry.

Research Component: Honors programs commonly require students to complete an independent research project or thesis under the guidance of a faculty member. This research experience allows students to delve deeper into a particular area of biochemistry and develop valuable research skills.

Academic Distinction: Graduating with honors indicates that a student has achieved a high level of academic performance throughout their undergraduate studies. Specific criteria for earning honors may vary between universities, but it typically involves maintaining a high grade point average (GPA) and fulfilling certain academic requirements set by the institution.

Competitive Advantage: Having an honors degree can provide an advantage when applying for advanced studies (such as a Master's or Ph.D.) or when pursuing career opportunities. It demonstrates a student's commitment to academic excellence, research proficiency, and specialized knowledge in biochemistry.
but does this two distinct degrees get explained to the students during orientation, so as to know the exact effort and dedication required to obtain any of the two
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by abufadllullah(m): 11:09pm On Jun 27, 2023
Dididrumz:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

You guys should tell me what course You studied in the university, and we're going to play a game. We'll drop our WhatsApp numbers, and we're going to do a video call. I'll ask You a question very relative to Your course of study, if You get the answer correctly, I'll send You 10k immediately, but if You fail, You'll send 10k to the OP of this thread for being bold to ask a question he doesn't know the answer.

PS: the video call is going to be screen recorded, and posted on a popular YouTube channel (I'm close to a few of them), and then it'll be posted here on Nairaland too.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Wildkat02: 11:13pm On Jun 27, 2023
oz4real83:
It means you have invisible "horns" cheesy grin

Pls let my chest breathe.... don’t suffocate me with laughter. Have that sense of responsibility
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by alamoht(m): 11:15pm On Jun 27, 2023
[quote author=Omihanifa post=124051070]You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.

Do they teach that in the university?
Common, if you don’t know shift
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Bluntemperor: 11:50pm On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.

Orishirishi!
Na wao for Nigerians!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Davido & Chioma Featured In YABATECH Exam Questions / University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick / FUNAAB ALPHA Chicken Breed Developed By University Of Agriculture Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.