Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? (41854 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by jayyem(m): 8:15am On Jun 27, 2023
Problem with all this over sabi people above forming woke is that what they claim to know may actually be the wrong meaning to the question asked. Note that no one is an island and there is nothing wrong in wanting to learn in humility.

5 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by JobAndVacancies: 8:23am On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons). Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail. Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?
See below
aytom:
When you graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper or lower, or 3rd class, you will be awarded Honours. Otherwise, you will be awarded a B. sc(pass)

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by mikool007(m): 8:35am On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
You mean you are a graduate and you don't know the meaning of bsc hons.
typical response of a dullard, just a waste of space

7 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by LONEWOLFJOHN: 8:38am On Jun 27, 2023
maticar:

As usual there will be people like you

Defender of anomalies and absurdity
you still failed

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Caleb15(m): 10:32am On Jun 27, 2023
Honours :- when your village people follows you to lagos and honours you in the village.
That's village problem 101
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by thaoriginator: 10:59am On Jun 27, 2023
Got my Bsc Hons but never been to school cry

How do I go about this?

2 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Meditation01(m): 11:38am On Jun 27, 2023
The occult body is a field of attention. A human being is composed of various parts: the physical body; the subtle physical body or the etheric body; the occult body; the psychic body; the mind; the ego; the life force; and of course the jiva or the soul or what they call in Buddhism the anatman, that eternal spark which is the ultimate perceiver or non-doer. The occult body is not a body in the sense that it has a shape. It's shapeless. The occult body is a field of attention. It's an avenue of awareness. It's a wind tunnel that connects the different realities. Now certainly there are what we call “occult bodies.” It is possible to create these occult bodies. They're extensions of your own bodies; we call them allies or helpers. An advanced spiritual aspirant is capable of creating many different bodies and can utilize these bodies to help aid others in their liberation. But the occult body, more than anything, is a field of awareness. You might say it's a way of being. The occult body is power but power that is not directed in an obvious manner. The word “occult” means hidden, that which is unseen. There are various forms of spiritual practice. Naturally in some forms of spiritual practice we see that which is apparent. When someone loves God, is truthful, is kind to others, compassionate, we can see what appears to be the cause and effect. But the occult body is part of the realm of mysticism and it works through the occult fields.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by larryking78(m): 12:35pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons). Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail. Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

My brother, First of all, I want to congratulate you on this achievement and I pray for you that more honors are coming your way and to all the readers.
Here is your answer to the question, what does B.sc (Hons) mean?

B.Sc. (Hons) stands for Bachelor of Science with Honors. B.sc is undergraduate degree program in Sciences that last three years for direct entry students or four years for regular 100 Level Freshers, depending on the state/country and the educational institution.

The "Hons" designation implies that the degree program includes a higher level of specialization compared to a standard Bachelor of Science degree. You will agree that your program had additional coursework, research opportunities, or a thesis project which allows students to delve deeper into their chosen field of study in the newest future.

Honors are usually awarded to students who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance and met specific requirements set by the university or college.

Now, earning a B.Sc. (Hons) degree with First class, 2.1 or 2.2 serves as a stepping stone to further your education, such as pursuing a master's degree or a Ph.D as soon as possible however, candidate with third class cannot proceed to Masters immediately, they are first required to do Post Graduate Diploma in that course, to meet the institution's requirements to further to Masters Degree.

So that's it.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by manmade(m): 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2023
Buharidgeneral:
this epistle is not necessary. Just one sentence is ok
take what you need and leave the rest, anyway,we don noticed you , Pele !

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Anthos(m): 3:22pm On Jun 27, 2023
BSc Hons stands for Bachelor of Science with Honours. It is an undergraduate degree program that typically requires three to four years of study, depending on the country

The "Hons" in BSc Hons signifies that the degree program includes an additional level of specialization or advanced study beyond the standard Bachelor of Science program. This additional level of study is often reflected in the curriculum, which may include advanced courses, research projects, or a dissertation.

The specific requirements and structure of BSc Hons programs can vary across different universities and countries. In general, students pursuing a BSc Hons degree are expected to complete a set of core courses in their chosen field of study, along with elective courses and specialized modules. They may also be required to conduct independent research or participate in practical work related to their field.

Upon successful completion of the program, students are awarded a Bachelor of Science degree with Honours. This distinction often indicates a higher level of academic achievement and can be beneficial for those seeking employment or pursuing further education at the postgraduate level.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
THERE IS NOTHIN PRESTIGIOUS ABOUT YOUR GLORIFIED SECONDARY sch YOU Called UNI,IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ASKING.
JUST GO and WRITE anoda JAMB AND RESUME FOR U.I.TO RESET YOUR BRAIN. angry do you people see that education is about your diligence to know while in school and not about copying assignments and partying on campus.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by bigdammyj: 6:06pm On Jun 27, 2023
How did you obtain the CV in the first place?
Pardon my questioning you though, cos I think for you to have gotten that, you must have made a lot of research in your educational journey including this topic..
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by nedekid: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2023
It means you were a honorable and not an "anyhow yayaya" student while in school.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Logsynctranslat: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2023
Honors
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Chetas81(m): 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2023
Bsc in Nigeria is for okada riders, majority of the citizen 😜 keep it under their bed looking for someone to create jobs
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by nedekid: 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2023
PARADIZEPRIEST:
THERE IS NOTHIN PRESTIGIOUS ABOUT YOUR GLORIFIED SECONDARY YOU Called UNI,IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ASKING.
JUST GO and WRITE anoda JAMB AND RESUME FOR U.I.TO RESET YOUR BRAIN. angry do you people see that education is about your diligence to know while in school not about copying assignments and partying on campus.
Lol, obviously, no be only him get issues.
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Yemmysworld91: 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Tried to Goggle search the meaning of the Hons. to no avail.

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?

It means the person finished his education and is certified of having good character.
Those who don't have hons on the degree are those who were either suspended for defaulting one Way or the other while in school eg. cheating in exam or caught for hooliganism etc.
If an individual has no bad record, then the hons will be included ;but if any, the hons won't be included.

Tertiary institution is for learning and shaping of character
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Senioradvocate(m): 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2023
abufadllullah:
[s][/s]Good day Nairalanders, I recently Graduated from a prestigious Nigerian University, and on my Statement of Result, is written B.sc (Hons).

Please Nairalanders, what does B.sc Hons means and what value does it add to the Degree?
B.Sc Hons is for those who graduated without carryovers in any of their courses and no extra year
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by bigtt76(f): 6:14pm On Jun 27, 2023
BSc. (Honors) stands for Bachelor of Science with Honors. It is an undergraduate academic degree program typically offered in universities and colleges. The "(Honors)" distinction indicates that the program follows a more rigorous and specialized curriculum compared to a standard Bachelor of Science (BSc.) program.

The Honors program generally involves additional coursework, research projects, seminars, and a higher level of academic engagement. It offers students the opportunity to delve deeper into their chosen field of study and develop advanced skills and knowledge in a specific subject area. The program often includes a thesis or a substantial research project that allows students to contribute to the existing knowledge in their discipline.

Earning a BSc. (Honors) degree can be beneficial for students who plan to pursue advanced studies at the graduate level or wish to stand out in the job market. It demonstrates a higher level of academic achievement and dedication to the subject area compared to a standard Bachelor's degree.

abufadllullah:

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Monaboo(m): 6:16pm On Jun 27, 2023
My own is why is B.Sc in UK just 3 years while here in Nigeria, B.Sc is 4yrs.

Some B.Sc courses in Nigerian Universities are even 5yrs. Medicine is 7 yrs.

What are we studying for goodness sake?

After graduation, no job.

It is well.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Raxxye(m): 6:18pm On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
Oya, show yasef, Mr sabinus!
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by randymirrors(f): 6:18pm On Jun 27, 2023
Buharidgeneral:
this epistle is not necessary. Just one sentence is ok

No difference between you two cos you quoted everything 😂

5 Likes

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Wisdommyth: 6:19pm On Jun 27, 2023
I had same questions when I was still an undergraduate. At that time, I researched the meaning and found out that it means a degree completed with an element of research work (project). i.e. final year project. If you didn’t do a research or project as part of your course, your degree will have only ‘BSc’ and not ‘BSc (Hons)’

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2023
To my own understanding,Bsc. Hons stands for a double major course which means a Bachelor of science in for instance ,Banking and Finance, Agric/Econs,.

All those who also come out with a minimum of a second class upper are also awarded this category of degree.

I got a Bsc Hons in Banking and Finance for instance and I came out with 2.1 .

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by bizhop01: 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2023
It's mean that you need to go back to school
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by FireUpNow(m): 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2023
Omihanifa:
You are worst off mate! If you know it you should have answered him
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Inner19(m): 6:22pm On Jun 27, 2023
Good question.

Let me go and ask ChatGTP grin

I'm coming back.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by Psoul(m): 6:22pm On Jun 27, 2023
captainbangz:
Is this true? I used to believe this, untill I know someone that had an extra year with a "Hons".

We follow the British standard of awarding degrees add our colonial master.

In British standard, almost all degrees are regarded as hons.
So some schools here in Nigeria may add the Hons or leave it out. It doesn't make much difference here in Nigeria.

America has more strict application of the Hons. For them, there's distinction between B.Sc and B.Sc (Hons.)
Re: What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? by TYCO77: 6:23pm On Jun 27, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
abufadllullah:

In Nigeria context, 1st class, 2nd class and 3rd class grades are graded and refered to as honours degrees while ordinary pass do not have honours attached to it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Davido & Chioma Featured In YABATECH Exam Questions / University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick / FUNAAB ALPHA Chicken Breed Developed By University Of Agriculture Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.