Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban (11049 Views)

2023: Naira Will Hit ₦5,000 Per Dollar If.... – Pastor Ibiyeomie Warns / Omoyele Sowore Speak Tough On Lockdown Without Palliatives / COVID-19: 11 Million Poor Nigerians To Get Palliatives — FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by delvzy(m): 10:29am On Jun 28, 2023
I’m never in support of these demonic institutions for once.
What positive impact have they done on low-income countries with all these triple-double interest rate loans?
It is just unfortunate that we have leaders that lack the foresight to look inward and cut down costs on their part.
You say you remove subsidy but it’s not reflecting on your cost of running governance.
Start from that and you’ll begin to see a positive mind-shift throughout the nation.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by Realguyman1(m): 10:40am On Jun 28, 2023
Komu1048:

Unlike u, God doesn't laff at the prayer of his sons, he answer them. Beside all politician r thesame
I just dey laugh many of una for this naija

But all the same, let's hope for positivity
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 10:47am On Jun 28, 2023
ManWater:
Fuel Subsidy was like a rotten tooth that needed to be extracted.
Normal procedure is to apply anaesthesia before extraction.
But our case was that of extracting the tooth before contemplating how to apply anaesthesia.
And the worse part of it is that they don't even know the anaesthesia to apply. And they have no intention of even applying any because they are not feeling the pain. So they will keep telling us that they are working up something till we forget about them and look for something to help our situation.

Another shameful thing is that after 4yrs they will count tooth extraction as an achievement even when they push us through more pain without any anaesthetic agent.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by frog12: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2023
tinubu played into their hands. na dem compain sey subsidy dey bad. now dem still dey complain after we remove am
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by SemperFid: 11:22am On Jun 28, 2023
Guyman01:
The same World Bank that has been praising subsidy removal just suddenly realised that it is making Nigerians poorer without palliative measures, this is the reason Prof Lumumba keeps telling Africans to beware of Brettonwood institutions like IMF and World Bank which gives loans to European countries at 3% to be used for subsidy while Africa gets same loan at 30% interest rate and adviced to remove subsidy creating more poverty and external debt.

This data is even under reported from what I see on the streets with more people trekking long distances dye to hike in transport fares and murmuring to themselves not knowing where the next meal to feed their family will come from

Prof Lumumba did not ask African leaders to stop applying for loan but he is warning against the institution providing the loan

What kind of brains una get like this
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by SemperFid: 11:24am On Jun 28, 2023
delvzy:
I’m never in support of these demonic institutions for once.
What positive impact have they done on low-income countries with all these triple-double interest rate loans?
It is just unfortunate that we have leaders that lack the foresight to look inward and cut down costs on their part.
You say you remove subsidy but it’s not reflecting on your cost of running governance.
Start from that and you’ll begin to see a positive mind-shift throughout the nation.

Demonic institutions like you called it de on their own oo, you run to them say u need 500m $ to carry out women empowerment initiative in your country and they agree and provide the funds.

You use the funds do dorime. Just squander it all

Whose fault is it now?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by Kukutenla: 12:07pm On Jun 28, 2023
Godszilla:

https://punchng.com/subsidy-removal-poor-nigerians-will-hit-101million-without-palliatives-says-wbank/
You're not saving any$5.1bn. You're only collecting it from the hapless citizens. The elites seem to think the government is distinct from the people. When the results of such thinking come out, they'll start telling us how insecurity is global.

Among the poor and economically insecure, 38 percent own a motorcycle and 23 percent own a generator that depends on petrol. Many more use petrol dependent transportation
This is what I was saying on a thread i opened. Bike men and tampered transporters are worse off with this increment and most of them fall under the label of "poor". Yet, they say the poor don't benefit from subsidy and they are removing it to help the poor
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2023
Good percentage of them want to be poor
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by nathyx(m): 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2023
After taking all the Nigerian wealth and putting it in the hands of few people, in the name of Subsidy you now expect the majority poor Nigerians to pay the entire cost of enriching these few greedy necks! Is this not a typical concessioned shithole??
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by SKIBiNSKI(m): 12:29pm On Jun 28, 2023
Fighter2029:
Exactly what politicians wants so that by the next election,they will feed them a cup of rice and tell them that a particular tribe and religion is against the other,and boom,the masses will forget all their pains and the miscreants who inflicted it on them and still fight to vote those same miscreants again,it is a vicious cycle with no seemingly end in sight.
Absolutely!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by TheOgaBoss: 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2023
SmartPolician:
NBS says 133 million people live in multidimensional penury while World Bank says something else.

These institutions should find a way to synchronise their data because the difference is huge.

Besides, they shouldn't give APC the loophole to say that all Nigerians are rich!
it is not that large if you look at it statistically, if you factor in the fact that Nigeria has poor data collection systems in place. also the yardstick used by both, may be different.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by NeloNelo: 1:35pm On Jun 28, 2023
Fighter2029:
Exactly what politicians wants so that by the next election,they will feed them a cup of rice and tell them that a particular tribe and religion is against the other,and boom,the masses will forget all their pains and the miscreants who inflicted it on them and still fight to vote those same miscreants again,it is a vicious cycle with no seemingly end in sight.

Inflation and subsidy removal: 7.1 million Nigerians may become poorer as families face a monthly loss of N5,700

https://thegisthouse.com/inflation-and-subsidy-removal-7-1-million-nigerians-may-become-poorer-as-families-face-a-monthly-loss-of-n5700/
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by Validated: 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2023
helinues:
Okay , so what's their forecast about with palliative?

There should not be any palliative.

Let renewed sufferings reset you guys brain.
I earn $$$, so we are good to go. Let $$$ hit N1200.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by dayorich: 3:13pm On Jun 28, 2023
May Ogun kill all supporters of this evil, especially those who know the truth about Nigerians economic woes but keep denying it!!!

ManWater:
Fuel Subsidy was like a rotten tooth that needed to be extracted.
Normal procedure is to apply anaesthesia before extraction.
But our case was that of extracting the tooth before contemplating how to apply anaesthesia.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by hush15: 4:40pm On Jun 28, 2023
Godszilla:

https://punchng.com/subsidy-removal-poor-nigerians-will-hit-101million-without-palliatives-says-wbank/

Welcomed development if you ask me. The more people in poverty, the more money during elections to share...
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by omohayek: 5:42pm On Jun 28, 2023
Why post this half-digested rubbish by some Punch hack, when the actual World Bank report is freely available?

https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/nigeria/publication/nigeria-development-update-ndu

Note that the summary of the report is much more optimistic than this horribly slanted, garbled and overly long excuse for an article. Here's what it actually says.

The recent removal of the petrol subsidy and the foreign exchange (FX) management reforms are critical steps to address long-standing macroeconomic imbalances and have the potential to establish a solid foundation for sustainable and inclusive growth.

Nigeria can seize this window of opportunity to further implement a comprehensive reform package that encompasses a range of complementary fiscal, monetary, trade, and structural policy measures to maximize the collective impact on growth, job creation, and poverty reduction.

To shield the poor and most vulnerable from increases in living costs, temporary and targeted cash transfers should be considered, as part of a new social compact to sustainably redirect resources towards addressing Nigeria’s most urgent development priorities

In other words, contrary to the spin of the Punch article, the World Bank (rightly) views the reforms as overwhelmingly positive steps, only suggesting that their impact could be softened through targeted aid for the very poorest - which is not the same thing as the "palliatives" ( aka large-scale subsidies and jumbo salary boosts for public employees ) that the loudest voices are always going on about.

How fortunate for propagandists that the average Nairalander can't be bothered to read beyond the headlines of articles, let alone try to dig out the original source said articles may be spinning heavily in one direction or another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by ufotunang: 6:44pm On Jun 28, 2023
Nawaoooo.... renewed shege 🙄
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by ufotunang: 6:44pm On Jun 28, 2023
That is the renewed hope you voted for.... nawaoooo
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by nedekid: 6:59pm On Jun 28, 2023
Sermwell:
I have closed any form of sympathy for any Nigerian in need! Just last week, my cousin came to hint me about a distant relative who was going through alot. We drove down to his place after work and what I saw was really devastating. I couldn't hold back tears with the situation of things with him.

I saw a grown man crying, rolling on the floor thanking me for 250k I transferred to his account.

I never see this kind thing before oh.

Alot of Nigerians are the cause of thier misfortune!
God bless you. People are going through though times.
Assisting family friends etc is righteous thing to do if you are financially OK.

I posted earlier how people are trekking and someone said those folks have generational suffering in their dna. Na wah.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by nedekid: 7:10pm On Jun 28, 2023
Guyman01:
The same World Bank that has been praising subsidy removal just suddenly realised that it is making Nigerians poorer without palliative measures, this is the reason Prof Lumumba keeps telling Africans to beware of Brettonwood institutions like IMF and World Bank which gives loans to European countries at 3% to be used for subsidy while Africa gets same loan at 30% interest rate and adviced to remove subsidy creating more poverty and external debt.

This data is even under reported from what I see on the streets with more people trekking long distances dye to hike in transport fares and murmuring to themselves not knowing where the next meal to feed their family will come from

Those people I see trekking, long distance.
Just drive down Abeokuta Expressway and see the crowd. Once or twice, I almost stopped to carry, people, but came back to my senses, insecurity, bed bugs, some will match (raining season) your carpet and not footmat.
I really wished I could help.

Anyway, some one responded to my post of people having to commute long distance by foot. Seems it is not true. We could be wrong. They could just be trekking to the nearest bus stop.

"The person that you quoted must have been trekking from Oshodi to Iyana Ipaja since the government of Buhari, yet pretending. That's one of the people that we call Bewitched. They are the suffer today, enjoy tomorrow. Suffering is in their DNA"
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by miceroms: 7:11pm On Jun 28, 2023
This is double speak. You recommended the actions they took.
Now, you didn’t go a further step in mentioning how best it would protect the vulnerable. You have spoken about this before pontificating on the former.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:16pm On Jun 28, 2023
Sermwell:
I have closed any form of sympathy for any Nigerian in need! Just last week, my cousin came to hint me about a distant relative who was going through alot. We drove down to his place after work and what I saw was really devastating. I couldn't hold back tears with the situation of things with him.

I saw a grown man crying, rolling on the floor thanking me for 250k I transferred to his account.

I never see this kind thing before oh.

Alot of Nigerians are the cause of thier misfortune!

God bless your kind heart for reaching out!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by Vadese1: 7:31am On Jun 29, 2023
Our Leaders are so useless. Mostly this one is even worst. In my thoughts, Buhari may even be better than him.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Poor Nigerians Will Hit 101million Without Palliatives, W’ban by Timiblanko(m): 11:25am On Jun 29, 2023
My opinion, no palliative can cushion the effect of feul subsidy.

It can never get to everyone and it will be of a limited time, which means that you will continue to suffer after you finish the palliative.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega / Orji Uzor Kalu Buys Most Expensive Private Jet In Nigeria (pics) / 3000 PDP Members Decamp To APC In Ortom's LGA In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.