Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,703 members, 7,820,460 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) (7832 Views)

Nudity As A Netflix Programming Norm In Nigeria / FG Lodges Complaint Over Live Sex On Bbnaija With NBC / #BBNaija: Sex, Nudity & The Big Brother Naija Reality Show... What's It About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 5:33pm On Jun 29, 2023
The Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA) has dismissed a complaint by a viewer who wanted to stop the airing of promotional content featuring bare-breasted actors on Mzansi Magic’s much-loved historical drama series, Shaka ILembe.

BCCSA SAYS SHOW MUST GO ON

Multichoice argued that the show’s promos that depict nudity are aired during programmes that are not suitable for children.

“The complaint was dismissed by the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA) because our broadcast scheduled all promos that showed bare-breasted women after watershed [the time after which programmes that are regarded as unsuitable for children are broadcast on television],” MultiChoice said.

“Further, in line with classification guidelines, if the nudity is in a cultural context, no nudity warning is required. The overall age restriction for the series is 16.”

UNCLOTHENESS DOES NOT MEAN SEX OR SEXINESS OR SEXUALITY

In addition, University of KwaZulu-Natal cultural expert Dr Gugu Mazibuko said that history cannot be distorted as the series is based on the life of one of King Shaka.

While Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research associate professor Hlonipha Mokoena said: “The first assumption is that unclothedness means sex or sexiness or sexuality. Second, the assumption is that only women’s nudity equals objectification; men are assumed to never need to be protected from objectification.”

Mokoena added that no actor or actress would be forced to show their body if they were uncomfortable to do so and no actor or actress would be denied a part in Shaka iLembe if they decided they didn’t want to show their body.

“Even here, two issues are being confused — culture and the making of the film. From our initial discussions about the series after extensive consultation with the lead cast, we made a policy decision that while we wanted to be authentic in representing the period, no actor or actress would be forced to reveal their body if it made them feel uncomfortable or exploited.”

2 Shares

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 5:36pm On Jun 29, 2023
it's most definitely a white South African, those people are so fragile they could break. I watch that show, there's no gross nudity

3 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 5:42pm On Jun 29, 2023
KingCold:
it's most definitely a white South African, those people are so fragile they could break. I watch that show, there's no gross nudity

Even the original from the 80s is a favourite for family viewing in SA 😂

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 5:44pm On Jun 29, 2023
‘SHAKA ILEMBE’ MAKES HISTORY

The highly-anticipated IsiZulu series made ratings history in its first week with over 3.6 million viewers across DStv in South Africa – the best-ever performance for a MultiChoice drama series in its history.

Shaka ILembe also reached number 1 on the DStv App across Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, and other African countries. On social media, it trended number one on Twitter and dominated TikTok.

Shaka ILembe airs Sundays on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) at 20:00.

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 5:46pm On Jun 29, 2023
TMKsouth:

Even the original from the 80s is a favourite for family viewing in SA 😂
Bro, Game of Thrones has more nudity and sex scenes but they ain't complaining. Just hope the BCCSA doesn't buckle under this

2 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 5:47pm On Jun 29, 2023
TMKsouth:
‘SHAKA ILEMBE’ MAKES HISTORY

The highly-anticipated IsiZulu series made ratings history in its first week with over 3.6 million viewers across DStv in South Africa – the best-ever performance for a MultiChoice drama series in its history.

Shaka ILembe also reached number 1 on the DStv App across Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, and other African countries. On social media, it trended number one on Twitter and dominated TikTok.

Shaka ILembe airs Sundays on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) at 20:00.

On another note, the cinematography of this show is just outstanding, the acting, the pacing, and the pure Zulu dialogue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingDash09(m): 5:48pm On Jun 29, 2023
That’s what makes us Africans “the culture”

I don’t know about y’all but I ain’t complaining

2 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 5:49pm On Jun 29, 2023
And this guy's badass!

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 5:50pm On Jun 29, 2023
KingCold:
On another note, the cinematography of this show is just outstanding, so as the pure Zulu dialogue

Giving it a miss - not as fascinated now that im older and wiser. Language politics on DSTV annoys me.
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 5:51pm On Jun 29, 2023
TMKsouth:

Giving it a miss - not as fascinated now that im older and wiser. Language politics on DSTV annoys me.
What do you mean by language politics?
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by GOFRONT(m): 5:51pm On Jun 29, 2023
If Davido is to feature in this Movie, he will probably Have Raw sex with the nude actresses. Impregnate one or two, not even having to mind the prevalence of HIV in SA.

Davido, call ya preeq to order!!!
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 5:55pm On Jun 29, 2023
GOFRONT:
If Davido is to feature in this Movie, he will probably Have Raw sex with the nude actresses. Impregnate one or two, not even having to mind the prevalence of HIV in SA.

Oh here we go...the dumbness begins, watch this thread disintegrate.... it's a South Africa related thread after all

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 5:58pm On Jun 29, 2023
KingCold:
What do you mean by language politics?

IsiZulu prioritisation is taking us back as blacks. It's creating Zulu superiority.
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 6:00pm On Jun 29, 2023
GOFRONT:

Davido is seriously disgusting. He behaves like an animal. But that's also why there'll be 1 billion Nigerians in the near future - zero sexual inhibition or dignity amongst Nigerian men.

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by Ihateheadslamer: 6:01pm On Jun 29, 2023
Game of thrones is more of the western series compared to Shaka Zulu
KingCold:
Bro, Game of Thrones has more nudity and sex scenes but they ain't complaining. Just hope the BCCSA doesn't buckle under this
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 6:10pm On Jun 29, 2023
Ihateheadslamer:
Game of thrones is more of the western series compared to Shaka Zulu
So? what's the difference here? They are both TV shows, aren't they? if viewers are complaining of the sex scenes on one show, logic dictates they should do the same on the other
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 6:14pm On Jun 29, 2023
TMKsouth:

IsiZulu prioritisation is taking us back as blacks. It's creating Zulu superiority.
Nah man, have to disagree, I'm not Zulu myself but you have to take the stature and the legend that is Shaka Zulu into consideration, I think his legend transcends language and tribe politics, When people mention the likes of Napoleon, Ghengis Khan, Alexander the Great, etc, Shaka Zulu is also mentioned, his one the greatest warriors ever lived and the lure to his story is understandable, to be honest

2 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 6:23pm On Jun 29, 2023
KingCold:
Nah man, have to disagree, I'm not Zulu myself but you have to take the stature and the legend that is Shaka Zulu into consideration, I think his legend transcends language and tribe politics, When people mention the likes of Napoleon, Ghengis Khan, Alexander the Great, etc, Shaka Zulu is also mentioned, his one the greatest warriors ever lived and the lure to his story is understandable, to be honest

I'm speaking about long term trends on DSTV - there's an overwhelming overrepresentation of isiZulu. They also just launched a Zulu news bulletin at the expense of everyone else. 90% of shows have Zulu titles and casts overrepresented by 70 to 80% speaking Zulu.

It's gonna come back to bite us all one day. I stopped supporting local DSTV content forever ago. The rest of you will wake up too late.

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by Kobicove(m): 6:23pm On Jun 29, 2023
I remember watching the original movie in the 1990s by the title Shaka The Zulu smiley

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by KingCold: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2023
TMKsouth:

I'm speaking about long-term trends on DSTV - there's an overwhelming overrepresentation of isiZulu. They also just launched a Zulu news bulletin at the expense of everyone else. 90% of shows have Zulu titles and casts are overrepresented by 70 to 80% speaking Zulu.

It's gonna come back to bite us all one day. I stopped supporting local DSTV content forever ago. The rest of you will wake up too late.
Nah man..So you're overlooking a good story just because Zulu is spoken?

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 6:38pm On Jun 29, 2023
KingCold:
Nah man..So you're overlooking a good story just because Zulu is spoken?

I'm saying I stopped watching local DSTV content coz for years i dont see myself represented sufficiently.

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by SIMPonPatrol(m): 7:06pm On Jun 29, 2023
I hope all the ladies in this show have breasts that still standing grin

2 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by fyzaila: 7:50pm On Jun 29, 2023
Samantha your attention is needed here. Our nairaland s.a babe
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 29, 2023
Owlallaa! Lord forgive me... I think I need to start watching this series.. grin grin grin
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by adefitim(m): 8:59pm On Jun 29, 2023
Shame on you OP, the unclothedness they are showing on DSTV you’re blurring it on Nairaland, continue....

6 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 9:12pm On Jun 29, 2023
adefitim:
Shame on you OP, the unclothedness they are showing on DSTV you’re blurring it on Nairaland, continue....

The breasts and my faves (the man bums) are all over Google if you can't subscribe to dstv. Just Google using the right words.
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 9:15pm On Jun 29, 2023
fyzaila:
Samantha your attention is needed here. Our nairaland s.a babe

Samantha is more interested in the man bums I'm about to drop all up in here.

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 9:22pm On Jun 29, 2023
adefitim:

I think the show is blocked in your region like BBMzansi and other shows are for nudity reasons and liberal reasons.

Please tell me if others in West Africa are receiving our signal.

1 Like

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by TMKsouth: 9:23pm On Jun 29, 2023
Fira09:

So, because it's a South African related thread, no Nigerian should comment on the Thread right?

L

He's saying you're all gonna talk about Hiv as if it was just discovered yesterday.

Anyway guys please test Davido for extreme aids and grossness.
Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by SouthSouth1914: 10:04pm On Jun 29, 2023
Credit must be giving to the producers and productions crew for this movie.

2 Likes

Re: No Nudity Warning Required For Dstv's Shaka Zulu Series Despite Complaint (pix) by SouthSouth1914: 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2023
KingCold:

You can imagine! See the the funny sides of African?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Dstv Decoder Takes To Long To Scan / Genevieve Nnaji To Star In Chimamanda Adichie’s “half Of A Yellow Sun” Movie / Horror Movies That Really Scared The Hell Out Of You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.