Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,580 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? (1556 Views)

Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup / Young Igbos " I Have Very Little In Common With Northerners." / The Relationship Of Yoruba With Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by DaChosenOne: 4:54am On Jun 30, 2023
I think Yoruba people have more in common with Igbos and other Coastal West Africans than Sahelian West Africans like Hausa. Yoruba and Igbo are both intelligent and successful groups. In and outside of Nigeria. Yorubas and Igbos both value education.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by BitterTruth01: 5:19am On Jun 30, 2023
DaChosenOne:
I think Yoruba people have more in common with Igbos and other Coastal West Africans than Sahelian West Africans like Hausa. Yoruba and Igbo are both intelligent and successful groups. In and outside of Nigeria.

Nigerian tribes may have similarities but each tribe is also unique.

We igbos have more in common with the other tribes in the South -South.
I was thinking of this just today . I’m widely travelled across Nigeria and not just the big cities . I have been to many remote communities.
I can tell you that if you traverse places in the deep south , you’ll find similar vibe/energy as the south east. And some places in the middle belt as well . E.g Jos, Plateau. Even in Ijawland where some woke Ijaw people like to think otherwise.
Even some of our soups are similar . We eat a lot of leafy vegetables and produce from the forest in the south east . You’ll find similar foods eg Edi Kang Ikon , afang , banga etc

Igbos and Yoruba don’t have anything in common contrary to what you might think. Our ideology is different , our foods are different , our perspectives are different, our women are different. An akwa ibom, calabar woman, ikwerre , Ibibio or Efik woman would feel more kinship to me than a yoruba woman

Yoruba may have a little similarities with Hausa in just one or two areas but that’s it. I spent some time in remote Ondo State (akoko areas) and I did notice something : the dwellers in some of those Akoko towns/villages shares similarities with some Edo peoples . Infact there’s a local government in Edo state called Akoko-Edo. The headquarters is Igarra .

8 Likes

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 5:23am On Jun 30, 2023
Igbos and Yorubas both value modernization and will go lengths to bring it to their doorsteps, unlike the North, especially a town where I served as a corper - Agaie in Niger state.
Igbos and Yorubas value Western education, unlike the North especially Agaie where most of the children are stark illiterates.
Talking about the adults is a different thing altogether.

6 Likes

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by adecz: 5:30am On Jun 30, 2023
No Nigerian tribe has anything in
common with Biafrans❗️❗️😐😐😐

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by BitterTruth01: 5:40am On Jun 30, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
Igbos and Yorubas both value modernization and will go lengths to bring it to their doorsteps, unlike the North, especially a town where I served as a corper - Agaie in Niger state.
Igbos and Yorubas value Western education, unlike the North especially Agaie where most of the children are stark illiterates.
Talking about the adults is a different thing altogether.

This is true but the influence of Christianity can’t be overlooked . It was the British missionaries who introduced western education. And western education is synonymous with advancement and the quest for enlightenment.

Take a look at all Islamic countries that do not have crude oil. The only reason why Saudi Arabia and UAE seem to be developed is that they just sell crude oil and and spend the money . Even with all the crude oil, they’re still greatly lacking in technical expertise . There is an astonishing number of foreign expatriates in those gulf countries who help them develop and maintain their infrastructure. In Qatar for instance , the number of expatriates is more than 5 times the number of Qatari citizens.
During the Saudi war against Yemen , the Saudis didn’t even bother to maintain their military equipment , they simply abandon it and buy more from the USA .
Islam is repressive and oppressive. It cannot co-exist with rational thinking and it subjugates the rights of women. Take away the oil from the Gulf and you’ll have Afghanistan, Yemen, Sudan etc.

The Muslim North of Nigeria is not different . It’s the Christianity in Nigeria that is responsible for whatever meagre advancements we have made as a society today . Take away the Christianity from the southwest and it would’ve pretty much been like the north.
Look at the reputable private universities in the southwest . They’re all owned by churches, because education , enlightenment and advancement is a core tenet of Christianity.

Tell me what has Islam done for Nigeria ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Bmaster(m): 5:53am On Jun 30, 2023
shocked
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Cassandraloius: 6:04am On Jun 30, 2023
Someone just asked a simple question and some people are being tribalistic about it, I guess that when you die and you're buried as a Yoruba man/woman, the coffin will be written Yoruba, your spirit will ascend to a place called the "Yoruba community" and the God that will judge you be from Yoruba, same is applicable to other tribes. undecided
I know for sure that most people reason through their anus. Nonsense!

Kindly check my signature.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by SHiNJA4RMDWEST: 6:31am On Jun 30, 2023
BitterTruth01:

This is true but the influence of Christianity can’t be overlooked . It was the British missionaries who introduced western education. And western education is synonymous with advancement and the quest for enlightenment.

Take a look at all Islamic countries that do not have crude oil. The only reason why Saudi Arabia and UAE seem to be developed is that they just sell crude oil and and spend the money . Even with all the crude oil, they’re still greatly lacking in technical expertise . There is an astonishing number of foreign expatriates in those gulf countries who help them develop and maintain their infrastructure. In Qatar for instance , the number of expatriates is more than 5 times the number of Qatari citizens.
During the Saudi war against Yemen , the Saudis didn’t even bother to maintain their military equipment , they simply abandon it and buy more from the USA .
Islam is repressive and oppressive. It cannot co-exist with rational thinking and it subjugates the rights of women. Take away the oil from the Gulf and you’ll have Afghanistan, Yemen, Sudan etc.

The Muslim North of Nigeria is not different . It’s the Christianity in Nigeria that is responsible for whatever meagre advancements we have made as a society today . Take away the Christianity from the southwest and it would’ve pretty much been like the north.
Look at the reputable private universities in the southwest . They’re all owned by churches, because education , enlightenment and advancement is a core tenet of Christianity.

You are right ... without Christian, Nigeria will be another Niger or chad

3 Likes

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by BeninRefugees: 6:39am On Jun 30, 2023
The only thing I know we have in common with yorubas is that we have similar consonants and vowels

Yorubas have like 25 alphabet
Tho Igbo is a very complex language thus it have 36 alphabets

Apart from that I don't think we have anything in common our women look very different too
You hardly see fair people in SW but 3 out of every 10 person here is fair doesn't also mean they're ugly I'm just giving demographics

Igbos are never conquerors but business oriented that's why even our days of the week (Eke Orie , Afọ Ǹkwọ) are named after markets in various communities around. Like for example in ancient Igboland 4 community living side by side may have to choose between those market days and all have thier markets where everyone from other community will come and trade anytime . Anytime of the week have a community that will host the market.
I don't really know much about Yorubas one thing I know is that they're conquerors and fought many wars amongst themselves for political advantages. I might be wrong tongue

But both people are excellent

To me no tribe is superior between them they're all unique and both side have equal share mischief makers grin

3 Likes

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by AuschwitzPrefec: 6:46am On Jun 30, 2023
BitterTruth01:

We igbos have more in common with the other tribes in the South -South.

We are not cannibals in the SS.

Stop this rubbish henceforth.

Do not in your life drag us into your madness.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Rolings: 6:48am On Jun 30, 2023
DaChosenOne:
I think Yoruba people have more in common with Igbos and other Coastal West Africans than Sahelian West Africans like Hausa. Yoruba and Igbo are both intelligent and successful groups. In and outside of Nigeria. Yorubas and Igbos both value education.

Linguistically , the yoruba and igbos belong to the same Niger Congo group

Spiritually, yorubas are closer to northerners , the first set of yoruba muslims were traders who came in contact with Malian traders along the trans Sahara trade route in the 10th century....more than half a century before the first christian missionaries reached the shores of Nigeria. That's why in yorubaland islam is called "esin'male".....I.e. Malian religion
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Sablexxxtoons: 7:09am On Jun 30, 2023
The book history of the Yorubas hints at ancient relationship between Yoruba and some Northern kingdoms

1 Like

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by wegevv: 7:14am On Jun 30, 2023
BitterTruth01:

Bitter truth by BitterTruth01

Name checks out

PS: To add to this point, Tinubu and Buhari are completely opposite in political ideology. PBAT is already leaning towards open market policies and technocrats unlike PMB with his non-progressive illiberal policies and appointing incompetent people based nepotism.

Political parties is a mirage in Nigeria and it’s a shame to see most of the southern population divided on here everyday when we generally want the same thing from our leaders.

1 Like

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by DonXavi(m): 7:47am On Jun 30, 2023
AuschwitzPrefec:

We are not cannibals in the SS.

Stop this rubbish henceforth.

Do not in your life drag us into your madness.
This person that made this comment doesn't sound like he has an atom of wisdom in him.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by AuschwitzPrefec: 7:53am On Jun 30, 2023
DonXavi:
This person that made this comment doesn't sound like he has an atom of wisdom in him.

This is your boundary.

The Colonial anthropological map depicting areas of cannibalism are the boundaries of Ibo land.

Know this and know your boundary.

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Starboytwo(m): 8:07am On Jun 30, 2023
Nope, Yorubas don’t have any similarities with Igbos.

No similarity at all. Well except (healthy unhealthy) competition.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by LordIsaac(m): 9:08am On Jun 30, 2023
Yorubas share Islam with Hausas.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 2:55pm On Jun 30, 2023
BitterTruth01:

You are perfectly correct, brother.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by RedboneSmith(m): 8:45pm On Jun 30, 2023
Cassandraloius:
Someone just asked a simple question and some people are being tribalistic about it

The post itself is tribalistic.

1 Like

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Probz(m): 11:20pm On Jun 30, 2023
Igbo. Although Kwara’s half-and-half and Oyo State people can be a bit funny about Igbos at the best of times. Some of them have a very militant anti-Igbo like attitude that you’d expect more from actual core unexposed northerners.

Anyone who says Igbos and Yorubas have nothing in common is low-key deceiving themselves. It’s up to you if you prefer to identify as Biafran and allow other Nigerians but don’t pretend that similarities don’t exist. There’s a fundamental “Nigerian-ness” that can’t be shaken across the south. Like it or don’t like it. Integrate or don’t integrate.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Probz(m): 11:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
LordIsaac:
Yorubas share Islam with Hausas.

And is it every Yoruba who’s a Muslim?
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by DaChosenOne: 1:19am On Jul 01, 2023
Probz:

And is it every Yoruba who’s a Muslim?

My mum is a Yoruba Christian and hates muslims.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Probz(m): 1:59am On Jul 01, 2023
DaChosenOne:

My mum is a Yoruba Christian and hates muslims.

I bet she does. This idea some myopic people seem to have that every other Yoruba person has one foot in t’mosque is just absolute crap. The percentage of Yoruba Muslims all-in-all (maybe outside Kwara and certain parts of Oyo State) won’t be more than 30-35%. Your stereotypical auntie Funke is a hardcore Pentecostal and nothing else. So I’ve never intrinsically connected Yorubas with Islam whatsoever. Just that they’re more-or-less a sizeable minority (majority in more historically Northern-affiliated/dealing parts of Yorubaland, no doubt) and obviously much greater in number than the Igbo equivalent (of Muslims), that’s all. In the U.K. people very rarely intrinsically associate Yorubas with Islam (obvious exceptions aside) because churches like R.C.C.G. are such a big deal (t)here and Yorubas obviously form a very sizeable number in Pentecostal churches, including Redeemed. It’s a bit like how Igbos are majority Christian (even if only nominally), obviously, but there’s a certain denominational divide between Catholics (I hate the Catholic Church, I’m not even going to lie) and Pentecostals, with Methodists (Abia State is probably the most Methodist/Assemblies of God-leaning state in the whole of Nigeria) and Anglicans falling in the middle. There’s a divide that’s closer to equity these days but Igbos aren’t inherently Catholic-leaning (despite the stereotypes, not that there’s not an element of historical truth in them) any more than Yorubas are inherently Muslim-leaning and that’s the truth.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by alfarouq(m): 10:45am On Jul 01, 2023
BitterTruth01:

Seeing as you systematically try to turn a topic of similarity between major tribes in Nigeria to an Islam and Muslim bashing thread,t is either you are at best an ignorant person or at worst an Islam hater who ignorantly thinks he can increase his appeal with whichever God you believe in by throwing around false claims about Islam.

Nothing is celebrated and encouraged in Islam as much as scholarship. In fact, the first verse that was revealed to the prophet PBUH is read, Also there is a special regard for scholsrship and scholars in Islam than amy other group of people.

The only reason muslims of today seems backward in terms of advancement is becaise they are straying away from the path Islam laid which is the path of scholarship and decided to follow their whims and the ways of the people of the world. This is largely because they have embraced so much comfort because of excessive wealth from oil or are engaged in infighthing there by having little time for self development.

Islam and Muslims gave the world Algebra, the foundation of Science, gave Algorithm ( computation) gave how epidemics are managed and how diseases are managed (check cannon of medicine. Developed surgical procedures that was used and adopted by the world for more than 500 years.

Here in Nigeria, before some peoples parents learn to read, Muslims have been reading and writing,have structured system of governments that span as far as Sudan, developed indigenous building and military, clothing industries technologies all thanks to Islam.

The contributions of Islam and Muslims to science and technology is not exhaustible here , you can research and read more on it if you truly care to know.

When people like Galileo Galilee and Leanardo Da vinci are been persecuted by the Church for heresy, Ibn Haytham, Ibn Khaldun and Ibn Senna were celebrated in the Muslim world.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by RedboneSmith(m): 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2023
alfarouq:

Seeing as you systematically try to turn a topic of similarity between major tribes in Nigeria to an Islam and Muslim bashing thread,t is either you are at best an ignorant person or at worst an Islam hater who ignorantly thinks he can increase his appeal with whichever God you believe in by throwing around false claims about Islam.

Nothing is celebrated and encouraged in Islam as much as scholarship. In fact, the first verse that was revealed to the prophet PBUH is read, Also there is a special regard for scholsrship and scholars in Islam than amy other group of people.

The only reason muslims of today seems backward in terms of advancement is becaise they are straying away from the path Islam laid which is the path of scholarship and decided to follow their whims and the ways of the people of the world. This is largely because they have embraced so much comfort because of excessive wealth from oil or are engaged in infighthing there by having little time for self development.

Islam and Muslims gave the world Algebra, the foundation of Science, gave Algorithm ( computation) gave how epidemics are managed and how diseases are managed (check cannon of medicine. Developed surgical procedures that was used and adopted by the world for more than 500 years.

Here in Nigeria, before some peoples parents learn to read, Muslims have been reading and writing,have structured system of governments that span as far as Sudan, developed indigenous building and military, clothing industries technologies all thanks to Islam.

The contributions of Islam and Muslims to science and technology is not exhaustible here , you can research and read more on it if you truly care to know.

When people like Galileo Galilee and Leanardo Da vinci are been persecuted by the Church for heresy, Ibn Haytham, Ibn Khaldun and Ibn Senna were celebrated in the Muslim world.

I think it is telling that we have to travel back nearly a thousand years to find a time when Islam was compatible with progress.

1 Like

Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by alfarouq(m): 12:56pm On Jul 01, 2023
RedboneSmith:

I think it is telling that we have to travel back nearly a thousand years to find a time when Islam was compatible with progress.

If that is what you understand from what was written, then I cant help your lack of comprehension.

on the contrary, Progress follows Islam.

True Islam has never changed, It is Muslims that have lost their Islamic Identity.

Before the prophet PBUH was raised, the community refered to today as Islamic world were insignificant, the world powers of then Roman and Persian empires never regard them but it took them less than a fifty years to defeat the romans and the persians, took the world by storm and become force to reckon with. all is thanks to Islam.

The difference between Ibn Haitham Ibn Sina ( Avicenna) is that they practised true islam, they are not we muslims of today that in an attempt to please your likes and others indulge in things Islam forbids such as alcohol consumption, engaging in fornication, adultery, consumption of intetest etc.

The more islamic a muslim is, the more he excels and the more materialistic he is, the more he retrogress.

In summary, Islam gives progress and the absence of it means no progress for Muslims.

I have said my piece and cant help you more than this ifvyou still dont comprehend the message.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by DaChosenOne: 4:47am On Jul 02, 2023
alfarouq:

If that is what you understand from what was written, then I cant help your lack of comprehension.

on the contrary, Progress follows Islam.

True Islam has never changed, It is Muslims that have lost their Islamic Identity.

Before the prophet PBUH was raised, the community refered to today as Islamic world were insignificant, the world powers of then Roman and Persian empires never regard them but it took them less than a fifty years to defeat the romans and the persians, took the world by storm and become force to reckon with. all is thanks to Islam.

The difference between Ibn Haitham Ibn Sina ( Avicenna) is that they practised true islam, they are not we muslims of today that in an attempt to please your likes and others indulge in things Islam forbids such as alcohol consumption, engaging in fornication, adultery, consumption of intetest etc.

The more islamic a muslim is, the more he excels and the more materialistic he is, the more he retrogress.

In summary, Islam gives progress and the absence of it means no progress for Muslims.

I have said my piece and cant help you more than this ifvyou still dont comprehend the message.

African muslims are the slaves of Arabs. I thank God, Islam is restricted to the Sahel. Let them suffer from poverty and terrorism. Maybe all the Christian countries in Africa get courage like CAR people and fight against these muslim devils.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by alfarouq(m): 11:26am On Jul 02, 2023
DaChosenOne:

African muslims are the slaves of Arabs. I thank God, Islam is restricted to the Sahel. Let them suffer from poverty and terrorism. Maybe all the Christian countries in Africa get courage like CAR people and fight against these muslim devils.

How do you manage to live with so much bile in you.

It must be a lot of pain.

Fun fact:

Even if you live for a thousand years, you will one day die and Islam and Mislims will outlive you.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by DaChosenOne: 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2023
alfarouq:

How do you manage to live with so much bile in you.

It must be a lot of pain.

Fun fact:

Even if you live for a thousand years, you will one day die and Islam and Mislims will outlive you.

Israel will outlive me, the West, India, Angola, CAR, Latin Akerica etc. All of these states kick muslim terrorist ass. I hate muslims more than any white man. You demons are killing people across the globe. African muslim men are literally the slaves of Arab muslims in Libya, Sudan, Iraq and Yemen. Shameful and embarrassing. One day African Christian will wake up like the Jews, Hindus and Buddhist and properly hand the muslim minority in Africa.
Re: Who Do Yoruba People Have More In Common With Hausa Or Igbo? by Cassandraloius: 8:12am On Jul 03, 2023
RedboneSmith:

The post itself is tribalistic.

Yes o.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Community Ruled By A Muslim Monarch -Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA) / Happy Mothers Day Wishes 2015 / Pictures From Calabar Carnival Cultural Display

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.