Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri (24214 Views)

FG Urges Nigerians To Consider Bicycles For Transportation / Kagara Abduction: Niger, Zamfara Hold Talks, Troops Locate Students, Workers / Hope Uzodinma's Refusal To Pay Salaries: Imo Workers Resort To Suicides (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by grandstar(m): 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2023
Proactive adaptation to change.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by nairalanda1(m): 3:23pm On Jul 02, 2023
Bicycles might be the answer.

At the end of the day, we are borrowed up. We try to keep subsidy...and seriously, in my innermost heart, I think we should...we get so broke within 5 years that we would be calling the IMF Mommy. And Beijing our mummy dearest And we would be so broke that to even pay salary of senator would be hard.

It does not matter if we even cut government spending, or stopped smuggling. We've reached a point where we take another loan to tip us over into the abyss, or we just face what we should have faced 30 years ago...

I mean, we have gotten to point zero. We have no choice. Remove subsidy, or reach a point where we cannot even pay for the basics, while we shovel non-existent money down the subsidy bothole. Guess the poor would be suffering ...no, starving and eating each other then. Or at least close to

Has nothing to do with politics.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Goodoldays(m): 3:23pm On Jul 02, 2023
rano1:

Bicycle business is going to boom especially in the North of the country with subsidy removal

NE states are paying N570 per litre.
NW states are paying 550 per litre.
and SW states are paying N500 per litre.

If I had money
I would invest in bicycle business now. So many people are going to stop driving cars or will reduce the amount of cars they own.

You don’t have money

So rest
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by ahnie: 3:23pm On Jul 02, 2023
Nigerians always improvise cheesy.
Nice one,cycling keeps away muscle pull cheesy
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by michoim(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2023
ratiani6:
Welcome to Tinubu Nigeria
Lol😂
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Paragon4(m): 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2023
This man is returning Nigeria back to 1900
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by QuinModah(f): 3:31pm On Jul 02, 2023
rano1:

Bicycle business is going to boom especially in the North of the country with subsidy removal

If I had money I would invest in bicycle business now. So many people are going to stop driving cars or will reduce the amount of cars they own.
grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by ceejay80s(m): 3:31pm On Jul 02, 2023
Useless people...dem no go protest instead they resort....if na igbo man be president now dem for not only protest but kill all igbos in their state, very soon dem go remove subsidy on bicycle too make I see wetin una go do

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Abolodje: 3:31pm On Jul 02, 2023
As it should be
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by kingyakos: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
Flets:
More SUVs to the political class

More bicycles to the masses.

The coming level of hardship will be impossible. Don’t doubt me…. Just keep watching.

It has started already. FG can no longer pay salaries. So many of us received half of our May salary on June and the balance haven't been paid. June salary we don't even know how it's going since we haven't received our half of May salary.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by easytig(m): 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
Are we going forward abi na backwards sef in this country

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Ezmans: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
It is a very welcome development. Bicycles are very environmental friendly. The same people who praise the Whites for living a simpl life are all here condemning what they commended in Europe and America.
in Netherlands they have track roads for bicycle but non is existing here so riding bicycles in our road is like comiting suicide

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Bridget95(f): 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Francophone countries are already very used to such a simple life style.
it seems you don't know the sweat and exhaustion that comes with using bicycles as a means of transport.

May we not find reasons to justify poverty and suffering .

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by nairalanda1(m): 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2023
Flets:
More SUVs to the political class

More bicycles to the masses.

The coming level of hardship will be impossible. Don’t doubt me…. Just keep watching.

So in order to beat the hardship, we got to take another loan for more subsides?

Right.

Like that helped us over the last 30 years or more.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by ceejay80s(m): 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2023
rano1:

If I had money I would invest in bicycle business now. So many people are going to stop driving cars or will reduce the amount of cars they own.
Can't work in Lagos....so I go ride bicycle from my house for Alaba international to Maryland every day to work ? Because of what

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Arcbox(m): 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
It is a very welcome development. Bicycles are very environmental friendly. The same people who praise the Whites for living a simpl life are all here condemning what they commended in Europe and America.
Bicycles indeed are environmental friendly which constitute zero emission of carbon in terms of carbon footprint. However, your comparison in terms of usage with Europe and America is mischievous. In Europe and America, sperate lanes are created to respect the rights and safety of the cyclists. America and Europe have developed infrastructure before implementing such policies. Are you asking Nigerians to ride bike and bicycle in untared roads, mud roads with undulating surfaces?..Nigeria have not put Transport infrastructure in place before such policies..To further buttress this discussions and bring more clarity.In countries like China, All undergraduate students( especially Domestic) are mandated to live on campus with several dormitories built to facilitate the process. Compare to Nigeria where 80%-90% undergraduates students are living off campus because of deficits in accommodations…When students live on campus, transport expenses is cut down minimally! A lot to be discussed in this subject matter but I will stop here.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by thesolutions(m): 3:35pm On Jul 02, 2023
rano1:

Backward thinking.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by okewumi: 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Northerners knows how to improvise but the only thing southerners knows is to shout online. Southerners will not come out to vote but to be shouting on Twitter.Fuel is expensive in UK and US. One thing l know is that after Tinubu, future president will have resources to develop the country because since l know democracy, all of them use to shout fuel subsidy. I did not hear any reasonable thing since 1999 apart from subsidy. We will survive

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Tooreda: 3:40pm On Jul 02, 2023
Unago C. Shege (2023)
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Austriaopen(m): 3:44pm On Jul 02, 2023
E no go better for Tinubu and those who voted him

Una never see anything yet
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by okewumi: 3:44pm On Jul 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
Bicycles might be the answer.

At the end of the day, we are borrowed up. We try to keep subsidy...and seriously, in my innermost heart, I think we should...we get so broke within 5 years that we would be calling the IMF Mommy. And Beijing our mummy dearest And we would be so broke that to even pay salary of senator would be hard.

It does not matter if we even cut government spending, or stopped smuggling. We've reached a point where we take another loan to tip us over into the abyss, or we just face what we should have faced 30 years ago...

I mean, we have gotten to point zero. We have no choice. Remove subsidy, or reach a point where we cannot even pay for the basics, while we shovel non-existent money down the subsidy bothole. Guess the poor would be suffering ...no, starving and eating each other then. Or at least close to

Has nothing to do with politics.

Nigeria is a poor nation at the moment. They are debtors. They have reached point zero. One idi×t was even saying they shout protest. Go and protect now. Usele×s and debtors. Jn next five years, people will improvise. Humans are born to solve problem. Country of 200 million producing graduates every year and they can not comeup witj ordinary matches. Everything is government. Watch tiktok, you will see small guys in corner of their room improvising. The only thing is to be shouting president whereas 90% does not know the name of ordinary local chairman of where they stay. Governors are just there for nothing sharing money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Veenbanks(m): 3:46pm On Jul 02, 2023
The economic situation of this country is really going haywire on the daily.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now. Don't wait till you reach your breaking point, before you start seeking for a way out.

Do yourself a favor and join this Telegram channel Veenacademy and join various people from different walks of life to earn from the comfort of their home. You will indeed thank me later.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Flets: 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2023
nairalanda1:

So in order to beat the hardship, we got to take another loan for more subsides?

Right.

Like that helped us over the last 30 years or more.

Your propaganda is stale.
Nigerians are barely struggling to survive

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Raskimonojendor: 3:54pm On Jul 02, 2023
Nothing wrong in that. Not a must to fill up the road with V6 and V8 SUVs.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by nairalanda1(m): 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2023
Flets:

Your propaganda is stale.
Nigerians are barely struggling to survive

Yes, and then, we would end up being broke if we spent more and more on subsidies

Look, old man, I am not speaking for Tinubu. I am someone who has been supporting subsidy removal for 11 years. Like I said here, subsidy costs keep rising year in and year out, even when we account for smuggling, stealing and so forth, and take them away....and they eat more and more of our revenue.

And when we spend more of our revenue on subsidy...how do we replace it? Yeah, borrowing.

If It was obi or atiku taking this decision, instead of Tinubu, I would still be saying the same thing.

Welcome to the hard reality of economics in Nigeria. We can pay for subsidy, you and I would be happy, and everything goes swimmingly till w e wake up one morning and find out the thing is eating our earnings, borrowed money, and leaving us with no choice but to borrow more to fund the budget. And when IMF says no?

Niger , Ghana, are both poorer than us, as is Chad. No subsidies, and they all have working refineries. Niger even exports self.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by callmevirus(m): 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2023
God works in mysterious ways
Who tell you say today bicycle will be helpful who will believe that

Welcome to Tinubu's renewed hope
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by Flets: 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yes, and then, we would end up being broke if we spent more and more on subsidies

Look, old man, I am not speaking for Tinubu. I am someone who has been supporting subsidy removal for 11 years. Like I said here, subsidy costs keep rising year in and year out, even when we account for smuggling, stealing and so forth, and take them away....and they eat more and more of our revenue.

And when we spend more of our revenue on subsidy...how do we replace it? Yeah, borrowing.

If It was obi or atiku taking this decision, instead of Tinubu, I would still be saying the same thing.

Welcome to the hard reality of economics in Nigeria. We can pay for subsidy, you and I would be happy, and everything goes swimmingly till w e wake up one morning and find out the thing is eating our earnings, borrowed money, and leaving us with no choice but to borrow more to fund the budget. And when IMF says no?

Niger , Ghana, are both poorer than us, as is Chad. No subsidies, and they all have working refineries. Niger even exports self.

Subsidy is sustainable if we subsidize our true consumption. The people should not be punished for the failure of the politicians.

Government is about the people and not about the politicians. We claim we have no money for subsidy but they have money for the Unending looting.

There are still a lot of things to be done before total subsidy removal. They should go after the subsidy thieves and close our borders to smuggling products.

They should prosecute and jail defaulters. They should subsidize our true consumption which is about 15million liters a day and not the 66 million liters they claim due to corruption.

They should reduce the cost of governance , their allowances and lots of waste to be cut first. Government is about the people and not about the politicians.

They should fix the power sector and provide enablers for the manufacturing sector

There are lots to be done before total removal of subsidy. Everyday we hear this politician stole 130 billon, another 77 billion….. unending looting.

They should not transfer the inefficiencies of governance to the people. These criminals in power must be held accountable

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by 1nairato1dollar: 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2023
astana1:

Source: https://dailytrust.com/fuel-subsidy-students-workers-resort-to-bicycles-in-maiduguri/
everything about Islam is suffering hence result of mumu ticket
Trust PDP govt they always considered the downtrodden in all their policies
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Students, Workers Resort To Bicycles In Maiduguri by nairalanda1(m): 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2023
Flets:

Subsidy is sustainable if we subsidize our true consumption. The people should not be punished for the failure of the politicians.

Government is about the people and not about the politicians. We claim we have no money for subsidy but they have money for the Unending looting.

There are still a lot of things to be done before total subsidy removal. They should go after the subsidy thieves and close our borders to smuggling products.

They should prosecute and jail defaulters. They should subsidize our true consumption which is about 15million liters a day and not the 66 million liters they claim due to corruption.

They should reduce the cost of governance , their allowances and lots of waste to be cut first. Government is about the people and not about the politicians.

They should fix the power sector and provide enablers for the manufacturing sector

There are lots to be done before total removal of subsidy. Everyday we hear this politician stole 130 billon, another 77 billion….. unending looting.

They should not transfer the inefficiencies of governance to the people. These criminals in power must be held accountable

The thing is, we are subsidisng our true production of probably around 60 million liters a day, plus 33 million liters a day smugglled.(Not all of it is going into vehicles...the power problems we have means we consume a lot of petrol via generators).

(We are not doing 15 million . Ghana does half of that, and there are 20 million people there, plus better power supply).

Also, the problem with subsidy is that the production and transport costs risies, and with it, the subsidy cost. Take more from the budget to fund subsidy, deficit results.

In 2010, we spent 25% of our earnings on keeping fuel at N65. 2011, it had gone up to 60%. If there had been no partial removal in 2012, it may have gone up to 100% in two years, if not less.

Ditto 2018 and 19.

Plus, who is going to loan one money to build a refinery if we insist on subsidising fuel? Who is?

That's why when three candidates in Jan 2023 are saying subsidy must go, there is a good reason. A cold good reason.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Explained: How Buhari Miraculously Improved The Power Overnight - Brimah / EFCC Seals Off Kwankwaso’s Property In Kano / Tomide Akinribido Accuses Peter Obi Of Giving Delegates Cash Filled Envelopes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.