Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,290 members, 7,836,276 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke (48918 Views)

Luxury 3 Bedroom Flat On Remi Fani-kayode Street, Ikeja GRA, Lagos For Sale / Banana Island- A Wonderful Creation Of Late Chief Adebayo Adeleke / Most Expensive Tower In Lagos's Most Expensive Estate -banana Island (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

Oshodi was a Nupe Prince who was a boy king. That is why he was so good in military because he was trained to succeed his father as a king. His parents died when he was young and he was betrayed by his Uncles and sold into slavery. But was freed when they learned of his heritage and saw his brilliance. Yes, he was sent abroad for his education because he was very brilliant. As to ownership of land, I defer to Oshodi family because they know their borders. But what I know for sure is that they own a lot of land. Not only Oshodi by the way! All the way down to even Epe, which land thieves have stolen.

I read that he followed his uncle from Bida to Lagos while they were escaping the Fulani Jihad and being Nupes Princes it would be normal for them to be introduced to the Oba who probably already knew his family well
the Nupes and Yorubas being close relatives

Epe ,Lekki belongs to the Ijebu and even the British and the Supreme court acknowledged it

Oshodi and Kosoko were refugees in Epe when Epe was already Ijebu the same with Badagry that was an Egun town under Alaafin of Oyo but which Kosoko also sought refuge in as an ally of Oyo after Eletu Odibo chased him from Lagos for marrying his beautiful fiance

2 Likes

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

I read that he followed his uncle from Bida to Lagos while they were escaping the Fulani Jihad and being Nupes Princes it would be normal for them to be introduced to the Oba who probably already knew his family well
No. He was betrayed and sold by his Uncles. But he revealed who he was and they could not keep such a person as a slave. The Uncles essentially exiled him. Imagine such a person as a slave, he can easily lead a rebellion as real Kings are never humble or humiliated for long and his brilliance stood out to the Oba too. He was definitely sold and betrayed by his Uncles though.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Babathanks(m): 4:16pm On Jul 06, 2023
marlow1962:
Hoor you mean am?
So them no fit protest say government take their land, but igbo man go buy land from them landlords and landlords no go wn they at peace with their selves.
Nawa.
You not understanding this. If igbos are not saying Lagos is no mans land, trust me they not gonna have any problem with the yorubas
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 4:19pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

Epe ,Lekki belongs to the Ijebu and even the British and the Supreme court acknowledged it

Oshodi and Kosoko were refugees in Epe when Epe was already Ijebu the same with Badagry that was an Egun town under Alaafin of Oyo but which Kosoko also sought refuge in as an ally of Oyo Eletu Odibo chased him from Lagos
Not all Epe and Lekki belongs to the Ijebu’s. It belongs to families who are mostly Ijebu origin. Oshodi won a lot of land and also bought land through his military career. As for Eletu Odibo chasing Kosoko from Lagos, that is not true. Kosoko was chased by the British because he was rightfully laying claim to the throne but they preferred someone else who they could control. Oshodi supported Kosoko because as a boy king he understood what it means to be cheated. Kosoko was the rightful heir to the throne.

Oshodi was undefeated in military warfare but his army obviously could not fight against the sophisticated weapons of the British. They tried though and won many small battles before seeking refuge in Epe.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2023
Babathanks:

You not understanding this. If igbos are not saying Lagos is no mans land, trust me they not gonna have any problem with the yorubas

Even if the Leasehold agreement had expired the Landowners might not even have asked for the Land again

But in Yoruba Custom you do not gift or sell land to those who consider you their enemies for very obvious reasons they can create big problems for your descendants

1 Like

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 4:30pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

Not all Epe and Lekki belongs to the Ijebu’s. It belongs to families who are mostly Ijebu origin. Oshodi won a lot of land and also bought land through his military career. As for Eletu Odibo chasing Kosoko from Lagos, that is not true. Kosoko was chased by the British because he was rightfully laying claim to the throne but they preferred someone else who they could control. Oshodi supported Kosoko because as a boy king he understood what it means to be cheated. Kosoko was the rightful heir to the throne.

Oshodi was undefeated in military warfare but his army obviously could not fight against the sophisticated weapons of the British. They tried though and won many small battles before seeking refuge in Epe.

Lagos Island was defended by 50 Canons supplied by their Portuguese Slavery business Partners and under Oshodi Tapa's Command they managed to sink 3 British Ships which was very impressive

He was also known as Balogun Oshodi
Oshodi Tapa was an Educated man
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Babathanks(m): 4:31pm On Jul 06, 2023
babydioku:
And Lagos belongs to Edos but the government stole it
How can someones far away owns lagos? Elections are over and this is the best time to check your history books. There are two Yoruba sub tribes that owns lagos; aworis and Ijebu

1 Like

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 4:31pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

Lagos Island was defended by 50 Canons supplied by their Portuguese business Partners and under Oshodi Tapa's Command they managed to sink 3 British Ships which was very impressive
Yes. That is correct. Which is why he was the best military strategist and general of his time. Oshodi was undefeated till the British came with bigger guns than they had ever seen. They would have won that war if the British were not fully invested in enthroning Kosoko’s rival.

His whole life he defended the borders and integrity of Lagos. A true, brilliant and loyal general.

1 Like

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 4:33pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

Yes. That is correct. Which is why he was the best military strategist and general of his time. Oshodi was undefeated till the British came with bigger guns than they had ever seen. They would have won that war if the British were not fully invested in enthroning Kosoko’s rival.

Oshodi Tapa and Dada Antonio were well Educated and well Travelled

I think I read that they had even visited the US before

The Problem was that they were educated with the intention of helping to promote the Oba of Lagos's Slave Trade businesses

Can you believe that the Oba of Lagos had his own personal Slave Ships plying Lagos to Brazil and staffed with crews of Portuguese Sailors
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 4:41pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

Oshodi Tapa and Dada Antonio were well Educated and well Travelled

I think I read that they had even visited the US before

The Problem was that they were educated with the intention of helping to promote the Oba of Lagos's Slave Trade businesses

Can you believe that the Oba of Lagos had his own personal Slave Ships plying Lagos to Brazil and staffed with crews of Portuguese Sailors
It was a trade of it’s time and they were selling mostly enemies from the hinterland to the British who demanded it for them to keep their throne. It was a lose-lose situation. The ones that went to the Portuguese were not all slaves initially. A lot of them went for work! Also, a lot returned after their contract or servitude was over. That never happened with the British. The Portuguese were trade partners and helped develop a lot of things in Lagos in exchange. Like the ports for instance and gave them true weapons. Not like the British, giving hunter rifle while they keep sophisticated weapons.

3 Likes

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 4:45pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

It was a trade of it’s time and they were selling mostly enemies from the hinterland to the British who demanded it for them to keep their throne. It was a lose-lose situation. The ones that went to the Portuguese were not all slaves initially. A lot of them went for work! Also, a lot returned after their contract or servitude was over. That never happened with the British. The Portuguese were trade partners and helped develop a lot of things in Lagos in exchange. Like the ports for instance and gave them true weapons. Not like the British, giving hunter rifle while they keep sophisticated weapons.

They Majority of the Slaves were the Victims of the Fulani Jihad in the North it was much later that the Oyo and Ibadan started to sell their fellow Yorubas from other States

Oba Akitoye who mum was Abeokuta Owu was an intelligent man who had chased the Portuguese Slavers out of Lagos what did the Portuguese do ?
They equiped and helped Kosoko to remove his uncle from the Throne Lagos

Exactly what they had done with the kings of Dahomey and the Popos who told them point blank that they didn't want the Portuguese interfering with the Government of their Kingdoms
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

They Majority of the Slaves were the Victims of the Fulani Jihad in the North it was much later that the Oyo and Ibadan started to sell their fellow Yorubas from other States
Very correct. Lagos Yoruba were brokers for all the wars and slavery activities going on in Oyo and the hinterland wars. They were not enslaving Lagos Yoruba’s. The Yoruba slaves came a lot later during the Yoruba civil wars and were the last ethnic group sold. The ones sold came from the enemies of Oyo as Lagos was loyal to the Oyo side.

1 Like

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

Very correct. Lagos Yoruba were brokers for all the wars and slavery activities going on in Oyo and the hinterland wars. They were not enslaving Lagos Yoruba’s. The Yoruba slaves came a lot later during the Yoruba civil wars and were the last ethnic group sold. The ones sold came from the enemies of Oyo as Lagos was loyal to the Oyo side.

That was why when Kosoko sought refuge in Badagry he was there as an ally of the Alaafin who was his biggest slave supplier

The King of Dahomey had tried to put his puppet on the Badagry Throne because he also wanted to control Badagry Port but Kosoko Cracked down on the rebels and restored the Oyo allied King to the Badagry Throne
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

Oba Akitoye who mum was Abeokuta Owu was an intelligent man who had chased the Portuguese Slavers out of Lagos what did the Portuguese do ?
They equiped and helped Kosoko to remove his uncle from the Throne Lagos

Exactly what they had done with the kings of Dahomey and the Popos who told them point blank that they didn't want the Portuguese interfering with the Government of their Kingdoms
Oba Akitoye was a ursurper and a British stooge. The British were a worse enemy than the Portuguese. They caused the Yoruba civil war because their demand for slaves was at a detrimental rate. It was blood thirsty and brutal. But Akitoye did not care, which is what Kosoko wanted to correct. The British demanded slaves because they had a vast need for it. Think about all the island and lands they own all over the world. Even the demand for America which they owned could destroy the whole Africa and their slaves were so brutally treated that they did not live long. Most did not survive the voyage and they will be right back, threatening the kings for more slaves. The demand and inhumane treatment by the British was too much and Kosoko was right to oppose them. Portuguese were the lesser evil.

Many kings fell to British seduction because they offered silly material things of no value and wealth for oppressing the populace which the Portuguese did not. They also used a lot of threat and intimidation and were a larger military force than the Portuguese.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by dannyspeejay(m): 4:56pm On Jul 06, 2023
this man extraction movie....
PLANE"
A good man in the movie
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 5:01pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

Oba Akitoye was a ursurper and a British stooge. The British were a worse enemy than the Portuguese. They caused the Yoruba civil war because their demand for slaves was at a detrimental rate. It was blood thirsty and brutal. But Akitoye did not care, which is what Kosoko wanted to correct. The British demanded slaves because they had a vast need for it. Think about all the island and lands they own all over the world. Even the demand for America which they owned could destroy the whole Africa and their slaves were so brutally treated that they did not live long. Most did not survive the voyage and they will be right back, threatening the kings for more slaves. The demand and inhumane treatment by the British was too much and Kosoko was right to oppose them. Portuguese were the lesser evil.

Akitoye was not keen on the Slave Trade

It was Kosoko who introduced Portuguese Slave Traders from Dahomey to Lagos on an industrial scale when he saw the huge profits they racked in Ouidah I think it was on one occasion when Eletu Odibo chased him out of Badagry to there

Eletu Odibo really tried on Kosoko's case

But Kosoko self was a nuisance

Kosoko knew he wanted to be king of Lagos and of all the women in Lagos it was the one engaged to the Eletu Odibo who was the
chief kingmaker of Lagos that he snatched

I think they fought like 3 wars between them over the matter, almost completely burning Lagos on one Occasion I think they Burnt Badagry too
And Eletu Odibo went to dig up the bones of Kosoko's mother and threw it in the Atlantic Ocean

Kosoko and Eletu Odibo deserved each other

I don't like the was Kosoko killed the Eletu Odibo though

Kosoko retaliated his mother's humiliation by tying up Eletu Odibo and throwing he himself in to the Atlantic Ocean
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

It was Kosoko who introduced Portuguese Slave Traders from Dahomey to Lagos on an industrial scale when he saw the huge profits they racked in Ouidah I think it was
Anybody that supported the British was a slavery pro-max promoter. Trust me. Their demand for slavery exceeded any group of Europeans. Who filled the slavery demand for the whole continent of North America? The British! Majorly.

They pretended to abolish slavery but slavery to their colonies like America was still very much full steam even after Oba Akitoye’s death.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Deepspirituals: 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2023
Lovenorth:
Why is he telling us?
To reasonable people
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 5:11pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

It was Kosoko who introduced Portuguese Slave Traders from Dahomey to Lagos on an industrial scale when he saw the huge profits they racked in Ouidah I think it was on one occasion when Eletu Odibo chased him out of Badagry to there

Eletu Odibo really tried on Kosoko's case

But Kosoko self was a nuisance

Kosoko knew he wanted to be king of Lagos and of all the women in Lagos it was the one engaged to the Eletu Odibo who was the
chief kingmaker of Lagos that he snatched

I think they fought like 3 wars between them over the matter, almost completely burning Lagos on one Occasion I think they Burnt Badagry too
And Eletu Odibo went to dig up the bones of Kosoko's mother and threw it in the Atlantic Ocean

Kosoko and Eletu Odibo deserved each other

I don't like the was Kosoko killed the Eletu Odibo though
Eletu Odibo is overrating the family involvement. Portuguese were in Lagos since before slavery was a thing. Kosoko did not bring the Portuguese to Lagos. Lagos is even a Portuguese name. They have been trading with Lagos long before Kosoko was born and before the British were even known to Lagos people. It was the British through Akitoye that finally destroyed the relationship between Lagos people and the Portuguese because of their greed. Portuguese were a lesser evil when it same to slavery than the British.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Jimbadly: 5:12pm On Jul 06, 2023
Urheadmaster:
Another misplaced priority tongue

I bet you just learned this English expression and you don't even know the meaning. undecided

Cos I don't know what is a misplaced priority in what the guy posted.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by ChiefOkporghe: 5:13pm On Jul 06, 2023
Dshocker:
He just made a fool out of himself...

We would have believed his story to an extent, if there were empirical facts to his claim.

You're the one who made a fool of yourself since you cannot make a simple Google search.
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Christistruth03: 5:15pm On Jul 06, 2023
2mch:

Eletu Odibo is overrating the family involvement. Portuguese were in Lagos since before slavery was a thing. Kosoko did not bring the Portuguese to Lagos. Lagos is even a Portuguese name. They have been trading with Lagos long before Kosoko was born and before the British were even known to Lagos people. It was the British through Akitoye that finally destroyed the relationship between Lagos people and the Portuguese because of their greed.

The Portuguese were in Lagos before Kosoko was born but it was Kosoko who industrialized the Slave Trade in Lagos in Competition with the King of Dahomey at Ouidah
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by 2mch(m): 5:20pm On Jul 06, 2023
Christistruth03:

The Portuguese were in Lagos before Kosoko was born but it was Kosoko who industrialized the Slave Trade in Lagos in Competition with the King of Dahomey at Ouidah
There was no competition. Dahomey was fighting Yoruba’s and Oyo kingdom and selling them to the British. The Portuguese if they had the might of the British would have been the best ally for the Oyo and Lagos. Did you not see that the last slave sold in America was by Dahomey people, selling Yoruba to the Americans aka British British were doing a lot of havoc in West Africa between tribes and even enslaving kings that refused slave trade which is an abomination.

1 Like

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by marlow1962(m): 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2023
Babathanks:

Nawa o, so na the no man's land dy vex Yoruba ppl?
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by abobote: 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2023
Who is Remi Adeleke ?
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by Alpharey: 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2023
Oh well, I thought Banana Island belong to Nairaland E warriors. So they have NOTHING and will be making noise here and there about how they own Lagos. 🤣🤣🤣
Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by TheSuperX(m): 6:40pm On Jul 06, 2023
Isobug:
From the story,He doesn't even think of Nigeria again
How would he think about a country that wronged him? Nigeria is indeed a shithole.

1 Like

Re: 'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:58pm On Jul 06, 2023
seunjungle1:
How is that possible for your daddy to owned the whole banana island guyman? I hope your dad was not one of those thieves who stole government properties and turned it to their own?
His daddy was self made by American dream

Your govt violently took away his island! The pain was too much to bear, his daddy passes away.

Read oooo.... !!!!! Read!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Heavy Rainfall Destroys Fence And Cars In Ibadan (Photos) / Man Laments After His Wife Sold His House For ₦10 Million & Absconded (Video) / Houses Built On Drainage Channel In Lekki (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.