Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). (16861 Views)

Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. / Nairaland Auto Show- With Pictures. / Some Really Usefull Tips About Shipping A Car/truck To Africa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 7:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
If you don't have the time to follow this diary, click the link below for a complete break down of the shipping process:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=781063

I recently bought a 2003 Toyota 4Runner for a client. The client says she wants the truck in Lagos as soon as possible. You may follow this diary to track the truck's journey from the US to Lagos. The count down begins today.

October 5, 2011: I call my shipping company (Sallaum Group) to get the latest shipping rate to Lagos for SUVs. The rate as at today happens to be $1125 + $110 CTN for a total of $1235.

October 5, 2011:
I fill out and email the dock receipt to the shipping company to start the shipping process. I hope to get it back tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 9:26pm On Oct 06, 2011
October 5, 2011: I receive the official dock receipt back from the shipping company (that was faster than I expected).

Definition of Dock Receipt: A dock receipt is a kind of shipping manifest. It contains information about the shipper, the receiver and the car being shipped. US Customs will not accept your car at the Port without a dock receipt.

October 6, 2011: Client has made full payment for the SUV in the form of a cheque. Once the cheque clears, I will transfer same to the auction company.

Profit: Can you guess my profit for this transaction? $300. Yes, Three Hundred Dollars. If you are willing to pay for your car in full, I will charge you the least commission possible thereby saving you tonnes of money.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 8:37pm On Oct 07, 2011
October 7, 2011:  I went down to the auction company today, paid for the SUV and collected the title. The SUV is now ready for delivery to the Port. The journey to Lagos should begin shortly.

See pictures of the SUV at the auction company premises taken today.

2003 Toyota 4Runner
4 Wheel Drive
Clean V8 Engine (see picture)

Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by palam: 9:08pm On Oct 07, 2011
Let me know how it will cost for an excellent 2007 or 2008 Honda Crv EX-L
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 10:09pm On Oct 07, 2011
palam:

Let me know how it will cost for an excellent 2007 or 2008 Honda Crv EX-L

Below is raw data from the auction reflecting recent sales for 2007 / 2008 CR-V EX-L. Going by this data, I can get a 2007 model for you for $16,500 and a 2008 model for $18,500. Prices do not include shipping and clearing.

Year Make Model Subseries Odometer Price Date
2007 HONDA CR-V EX-L 63684 $15,800.00 10/4/2011
2008 HONDA CR-V EX-L 23609 $18,250.00 9/13/2011
2008 HONDA CR-V EX-L 46562 $19,000.00 9/20/2011
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by Nobody: 5:45am On Oct 08, 2011
I personally appreciate this thread. Thanks for taking the time.

Some questions:

Since, per the timeframes listed, the title that you have is not in your name or the clients name, will US customs allow this vehicle to ship? I am assuming yes as long as the title has been signed by the registered owner and any if leinholder.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2011
Somorin#1:

I personally appreciate this thread. Thanks for taking the time.

Some questions:

Since, per the timeframes listed, the title that you have is not in your name or the clients name, will US customs allow this vehicle to ship? I am assuming yes as long as the title has been signed by the registered owner and any if leinholder.

As long as no money is owed on the car, you can ship it once you receive the title (just like I'm doing now). You will only have to change the title to your name if you intend to drive the car in the US.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by tushbobo(m): 7:09pm On Oct 08, 2011
good initiative.when paying for the vehicle,do u pay directly to the seller or is there sort of a middle ground such that when its been verified that the money has been paid by you to a middle man(a bank or something) then shipping can begin after which the seller can get his money.or do u just pay hopin that all will go well??
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 12:41am On Oct 09, 2011
Behind bobo:

good initiative.when paying for the vehicle,do u pay directly to the seller or is there sort of a middle ground such that when its been verified that the money has been paid by you to a middle man(a bank or something) then shipping can begin after which the seller can get his money.or do u just pay hopin that all will go well??

99% of the time, I deal with Manheim only. If you want peace of mind in the auction business, stick with them. They are the biggest auctioneers in the US and have branches in almost all the states.

They essentially act as brokers between buyers and sellers. For instance if you have a car to sell, you bring it to one of their locations and they auction it. They make their money by taking commissions from both buyers and sellers. However their auctions are closed to the public meaning that you have to be a registered dealer to participate.

If you want further peace of mind, pay them an extra $150 after the auction for Post Sale Inspection. With that, their technicians will thoroughly inspect the car. If it passes inspection, you are good to go. But if it fails, you have the option of asking for your money back (which I have done successfully in the past).

P.S: I must add that they work with most of the big car manufacturers in the US including Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, Mercedes etc. In fact you get the best deals on days the big car makers come to auction.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 5:23pm On Oct 10, 2011
October 10, 2011: Today, I handed over the title, dock receipt and gate pass to the person taking the SUV to the Port. He has worked for me several times in the past and is very knowledgeable in all things about shipping to Nigeria including cars and containers. He said he will do the job tomorrow.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by Emperoh(m): 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
Bizbooks,

Nice one. Always love to know what goes on behind the scenes as we await our car down here!
A couple of question. What could possibly delay a car from leaving aboard the next available vessel even when u have met the cut off date? I ask this because i have a unit to sail aboard Grimaldi from Savannah and i am not sure it will make it eventhough the car was at the Port 10 days ago.

Also, i shipped a car from bayonne some time in April and that was almost a month after drop off and it missed two vessels before eventually boarding one.

As for Manheim, i didn't have a good experience with them.
Maybe i should have paid the 150 dollar fee for the car above.
Cos by the time i got it here in Nigeria, it was with a knocked engine! shocked angry

Also, how possible is it to do these effectively without being on ground or even physically seeing the car.
I mean, you could buy a car far from you current location and ship with from the nearest exit port.

Also how do you rate the following auction sites regardless of their models;
Copart, IAAI, Auctionexport.

But a nice topic this is. At least some intellectual addition to the buying and selling going on!!
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 9:16pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ Emperoh,

What could possibly delay a car from leaving aboard the next available vessel even when u have met the cut off date? I ask this because i have a unit to sail aboard Grimaldi from Savannah and i am not sure it will make it eventhough the car was at the Port 10 days ago.

Nigerian agents will tell you to ship your car via Grimaldi for easy clearing. That is true since they have their own terminal in Lagos. The problem is that everybody now knows this and wants to ship through Grimaldi. As a result, it is now quite difficult to get on any of their vessels. Even if you bring your car well before the cut off date, there is no guarantee you will get in. An ACL agent was kind enough to explain this to me. Since then, I have stopped using Grimaldi.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 9:51pm On Oct 10, 2011
Also, how possible is it to do these effectively without being on ground or even physically seeing the car.
I mean, you could buy a car far from you current location and ship with from the nearest exit port.

Manheim has made it possible to confidently buy a car without even seeing it physically. A good number of cars at their auction have what they call "Condition Report or CR". The CR will tell you every flaw their technicians found while inspecting the car. Sometimes, the list is very long because they include minor issues like torn upholstery, faded lights etc in the report. Every time I buy a car from them, it always turns out better than the CR stated.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 9:54pm On Oct 10, 2011
Also how do you rate the following auction sites regardless of their models;
Copart, IAAI, Auctionexport.

I haven't dealt with any of them. But I know Copart and IAAI are insurance auction companies. So most of their cars are "accident cars" though the extent of the damage are sometimes not severe.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by Emperoh(m): 11:03pm On Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the prompt response!!
I have been in this business for an upward of 4 years but i can assure you that the knowledge i pick every other day is just limitless. Something new crops us daily.

Aside Grimaldi and Hoegh(Use them from Texas but terminal issues in Nigeria makes it a last option)
what other options does a shipper have in terms of shipping companies?
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by sultaan(m): 3:29am On Oct 11, 2011
Unfortunately the clearing agent/customs officer is going to make more than your meager $300 profit/fee.
Monkey dey work baboon dey chop.

I prefer stolen cars from IAAI
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by Dereformer(m): 3:10pm On Oct 11, 2011
@BIZBOOKS

Please let me have your mail or phone no so we can talk BIZ
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2011
Emperoh:

Aside Grimaldi and Hoegh(Use them from Texas but terminal issues in Nigeria makes it a last option)
what other options does a shipper have in terms of shipping companies?

Try ACL or Sallaum Group.

@ Dereformer,

My email address is BizzBooks at aol.com
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by inspiredm(m): 5:17pm On Oct 11, 2011
Nice thread.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by JUO(m): 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2011
@BIZBOOKS please drop your no
How much will it cost to get rav4 jeep 2003 to Lagos?
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by opokonwa(m): 6:01pm On Oct 11, 2011
@BIZBOOKS don hammer!
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by thejonny09(m): 6:21pm On Oct 11, 2011
@poster hw much will it cost to ship a Toyota Corola 2003 or 2004 to lagos am interested.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by dayokanu(m): 7:03pm On Oct 11, 2011
Good thread
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by StrataLtd: 7:07pm On Oct 11, 2011
@Bizbooks, How much is the cost of car being shipped?
What is it you do exactly,you source for cars or assist one pay and ship.
I am interested in working with you.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by tegamans: 7:16pm On Oct 11, 2011
Nice. I am following this up
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 10:37pm On Oct 11, 2011
I thank the moderators for putting this on the front page. Instead of having everybody wait for one month to see how this all ends, I will start a new thread where I will explain the process of shipping a car to Nigeria as I know it.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by pkv(m): 10:45pm On Oct 11, 2011
tegamans:

Nice. I am following this up
all d way folks!a very intresting thread even 4 a jew guy lyk me
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by FEMARY(m): 11:00pm On Oct 11, 2011
We have SIM router in stock.Just pop in your sim card and star browsing LIVE on 3.5 G networks.

1.Just insert your sim card and start browsing wirelessly/or through wired network.

2.Make/receive calls with this router.It serves as a gsm land line.

3.High speed internet browsing on GLO/MTN/AIRTEL 3.5G networks.

4. No need for modems again.

Pick it up @

Coretech Products & Services
2nd Floor Victory Plaza
57 Awolowo Way
Ikeja,Lagos

Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:56pm On Oct 11, 2011
@poster, You are spoiling business, though i've left US route for Europe.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by Gayigaskia(m): 12:48am On Oct 12, 2011
How can you claim $300 profit and the car still at the auction. Even if your car is parked at Jessup auction (close to port of Baltimore) something could happen. Just my 2 cents, been in the business for 6 years.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by BizBooks(m): 1:40am On Oct 12, 2011
Gayigaskia:

How can you claim $300 profit and the car still at the auction. Even if your car is parked at Jessup auction (close to port of Baltimore) something could happen. Just my 2 cents, been in the business for 6 years.

This client paid 100%. So I did not invest any of my money in the transaction. I will do the same for anybody willing to make full payment upfront. I understand your concern but I will only be in trouble if something happens to the truck in transit.

P.S: The truck is no longer at the auction. It is now at Baltimore Port. I will update this thread with that information later.
Re: Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). by yods1000(f): 1:44am On Oct 12, 2011
BizBooks:

Below is raw data from the auction reflecting recent sales for 2007 / 2008 CR-V EX-L. Going by this data, I can get a 2007 model for you for $16,500 and a 2008 model for $18,500. Prices do not include shipping and clearing.

Year Make Model Subseries Odometer Price Date
2007 HONDA CR-V EX-L 63684 $15,800.00 10/4/2011
2008 HONDA CR-V EX-L 23609 $18,250.00 9/13/2011
2008 HONDA CR-V EX-L 46562 $19,000.00 9/20/2011
Where do you get your cars and what is the name of your dealership? cos from the prices I am seeing here I smell something fishy, I doubt if you can get a Honda CR-V EX-L , with clean title, no mechanical or transmission problems, only if you are buying frame damage cars or salvage or flood cars. I have been registered with Manheim for sometime now and I know my prices well. Maybe you have got the trims mixed up  grin, I think you can get an LX or EX(A4), but an EX-L come on buddy. I think you should cross check cos I am checking manheim now and the prices are not close  wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? / Enugu Residents React To Ban On Tinted Glasses By State Government / 5 Most Important Things To Do When Your Car Brakes Fail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.