Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,037 members, 7,810,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden (24691 Views)

Russia Cuts Electricity Supply To Finland Over It's Plans To Join NATO (Photos) / Richard Barrons: NATO Is Not Ready For War With Russia / Russia Threatens Finland After They Declares Plan To Join NATO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by HonNL: 4:32pm On Jul 09, 2023
President Joe Biden said this week that Ukraine is not yet ready to join NATO, calling the prospect of its membership in the international alliance “premature” amid its war with Russia.

“I don’t think it’s ready for membership in NATO,” Biden said in an interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakaria that aired Sunday. “I don’t think there is unanimity in NATO about whether or not to bring Ukraine into the NATO family now, at this moment, in the middle of a war.”

Biden added that Ukraine still has work to do to meet all of the qualifications for membership, cautioning the process is “going to take a while.” But he reiterated his pledge to provide the country with security guarantees in the interim, stressing that the U.S. would ensure Ukraine has the weaponry it needs to defend itself against Russia.

Biden’s vow came shortly after he agreed to send cluster munitions to Ukraine, overriding humanitarian concerns about the bombs by arguing that it was crucial to provide Kyiv with more artillery. The president on Sunday left for an international trip that will include the NATO summit in Lithuania, where he will seek to rally the organization’s support for Ukraine.

“It was a very difficult decision on my part,” Biden said of approving the cluster munitions. “But the main thing is, they either have the weapons to stop the Russians now from their — keep them from stopping the Ukrainian offensive through these areas, or they don’t. And I think they needed them.”

Biden during the interview also expressed optimism that Sweden would soon gain entry to NATO, and touted the alliance’s ability to remain united in the face of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“I believe Putin has had an overwhelming objective from the time he launched 185,000 troops into Ukraine, and that was to break NATO,” he said. “So holding NATO together is really critical.”

During the wide-ranging discussion, Biden also was asked about the White House’s posture toward China. The president said he was confident the U.S. could reach a “stable point” with its international rival and would work toward establishing a “working relationship with China that benefits them and us.” But he also indicated he believes that China’s overarching goal is to become the largest economic and military power in the world.

“China has enormous potential capacity, but enormous problems as well,” he said. “I think there’s a way we can work through this.”

Biden warned Chinese President Xi Jinping against providing more support to Russia in its war against Ukraine, he added, emphasizing the economic blow if American corporations pulled out of the nation at the same pace as they have in Russia.

“I said, this is not a threat, this is an observation,” Biden said. “And if you notice, he has not gone full-bore on Russia.”

Biden also waved away questions about his age amid concerns over the ability for an 81-year-old seeking reelection to excite the Democratic base ahead of the 2024 election, arguing that he possesses “wisdom” only gained through his decades in politics.

“We’re uniting democracies,” he said, pointing to the continued support for Ukraine across Europe. “I think we have enormous opportunities. And I just want to finish the job, and I think we can do that in the next six years.”

SOURCE

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by God1000(m): 4:33pm On Jul 09, 2023
I agree with Biden, the timing is wrong.

At least this war should be over before any of such discussion, but what can Putin do if Ukraine joins NATO now? Nothing

I salute the unwavering support of the Biden administration for Ukraine, the invaders should pull out and go back home.

Putin should be more concerned about the cracks in his government, he won't survive another mutiny.

The invasion of Ukraine has further enlarged NATO with Finland membership and Sweden very soon, so what's the point of this senseless war? it has turned counterproductive.

74 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Masterviolence: 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2023
grin
Premature

All this noise will not be heard after that summit in Lithuania.

Ukraine joining NATO is all but a dream, there's a reason over 30 countries don't want to go to war with Russia.

Alone, no country can win a war against Russia conventionally, yet Ukraine decide to fight against them for an outsider.

The pace of this war was decided in the beginning by Putin and Russia, because taking over Ukraine in the beginning would've been a grave mistake for the Russians, a burden too heavy to carry.
Also killing while fighting against your own people is easier said than done.

The phase of this war now is for Ukrainians to go to the Frontlines and die.

149 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Masterviolence: 6:40pm On Jul 09, 2023
God1000:
I agree with Biden, the timing is wrong.

At least this war should be over before any of such discussion, but what can Putin do if Ukraine joins NATO now? Nothing

I salute the unwavering support of the Biden administration for Ukraine, the invaders should pull out and go back home.

Putin should be more concerned about the cracks in his government, he won't survive another mutiny.

The invasion of Ukraine has further enlarged NATO with Finland membership and Sweden very soon, so what's the point of this senseless war? it has turned counterproductive.
Stop consoling yourself grin

There are two things that are real:

1. God is real whether you like it or not

2. Ukraine will never join NATO whether you like it or not.

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by God1000(m): 6:42pm On Jul 09, 2023
Masterviolence:

Stop consoling yourself grin

There are two things that are real:

1. God is real whether you like it or not

2. Ukraine will never join NATO whether you like it or not.

Lol. did I say God isn't real

As for Ukraine not joining NATO, it will surely happen, they've been pushed to the wall

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Masterviolence: 7:03pm On Jul 09, 2023
God1000:
Lol. did I say God isn't real

As for Ukraine not joining NATO, it will surely happen, they've been pushed to the wall

Which wall?
When Russia, their elder brother was telling them that what they were doing is wrong and there are repercussions they didn't listen, they believed in the reassurance from the west in armaments and Intel.

The reason Ukraine still have a voice to speak is because there is no Stalin-like president in Russia.

Putin is just so lenient, they should thank God for that because they would've been bombarded from the surface of the earth if Stalin is the current president of Russia.

97 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by LibertyRep: 7:47pm On Jul 09, 2023
You say what? At what point did they know it's premature?
After thousands have been killed in the war?

May we not be unfortunate to be used as guinea pigs for proxy wars.

131 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by NwaNimo1(m): 7:47pm On Jul 09, 2023
Zelenski....how market?

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Omicron007: 7:47pm On Jul 09, 2023
When it comes to international politics, God1000 is a chronic ass-licker of the west.
I take his views with a pinch of salt.
I have consistently told him to avoid CNN.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by turmacs(f): 7:47pm On Jul 09, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by id4sho(m): 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
Zelensky wants a world war 3 . Americans don't want senseless kills and destruction that comes with nuclear weapons. Sweden is on pause to join NATO tongue

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by fasho01(m): 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
After using them to fight your war by proxy

31 Likes

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by iHateFraudsters: 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
Chai 🙆🏿‍♀️

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Faber(m): 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
Ok
Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by EdiskyHarry: 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
America and NATO have no right to criticize Russia in anyway.
America invaded and destroyed Iraq on the pretext of weapon of mass destruction just to loot Iraqis oil, invaded libya on the pretext that gadaffi was a dictator, destroyed all infractures in Libya including the great man made river
( the world's biggest irrigation project) and went further to destroy the factories producing those pipes.
America, NATO and Russia are just the same.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by seunny4lif(m): 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
Well, the head of NATO have spoken, all those Chihuahuas NATO members(Poland and Lithuania) that depends on France and Germany money to function can now rest.

Ukraine want to join NATO when SMO war is still going on, they think USA will start nuclear war because of them, USA will never go to to war with a nuclear arms nation.
NK should have show Ukraine or Turkey crisis in 2015 after they down Russia jet.
Immediately Turkey down Russia jet, NATO members started changing mouths.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Yankiss(m): 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
Zelenskiy, see your life. Biden knows exactly what he meant. Ukraine joining NATO now means NATO joining the war with Russia, a potential world war 111. Zelenskiy is not smart. He is being fed with weapons to continue destroying his country and people. The best bet is sue for peace. I am not exonerating Putin either. That one is guilty of war crimes. He is descending from hero to infamy in the cast of Adolf Hitler.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Morbeta11(m): 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
After deceiving them.....

10 Likes

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by elpochas: 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
Just imagine what President Biden is saying.Now i believe the saying that says na big name dy kill Dog.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by OlawaleBammie: 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
Chaii

USA gbewon landicap grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by franchasofficia: 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
Disadvantages of handing over Presidential powers to old senile men.

One day, Bola Tinubu will confess that his removal of subsidy and unification of FOREX were premature that he is sorry, just as that born Daura Criminal called Buhari has been asking for forgiveness after looting and scamming Nigerians shocked

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Iliveforever(m): 7:50pm On Jul 09, 2023
Las las Ukraine dn Bleep up.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by sharpwriter(m): 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2023
shocked shocked Ghen Ghen!!! Kei.... Which kain news and remark be dix kwanu After pushing them into war and encouraging them to hang on while they continue to lose lives, resources and environment...

So na now day clear for you to realize say dem no dey fit and mature to join NATO club for now angry

Maybe America don realize say dem dey lose too much money, and dem wan stylishly abandon the war.

For dix life e good make person dey use sense and acknowledge reality without pushing luck too far, if not, many wicked big brothers and friends go use am for you grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by zoedew: 7:52pm On Jul 09, 2023
Inconsistency heightened.

1 Like

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by God1000(m): 7:52pm On Jul 09, 2023
Omicron007:
When it comes to international politics, God1000 is a chronic ass-licker of the west.
I take his views with a pinch of salt.
I have consistently told him to avoid CNN.
Lol, cheesy you know I'm always right bro
Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by xristos(m): 7:53pm On Jul 09, 2023
Ok
Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 09, 2023
Masterviolence:

Which wall?
When Russia, their elder brother was telling them that what they were doing is wrong and there are repercussions they didn't listen, they believed in the reassurance from the west in armaments and Intel.

The reason Ukraine still have a voice to speak is because there is no Stalin-like president in Russia.

Putin is just so lenient, they should thank God for that because they would've been bombarded from the surface of the earth if Stalin is the current president of Russia.
unless Ukraine don't come out a United country, then their joining will wither, otherwise, consider it a done deal after the war.

Putin has no justifiable reason attacking a sovereign state that never acted as a direct threat to her.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Onucs(m): 7:53pm On Jul 09, 2023
After they have given Ukraine the weapons to destroy themselves, they wanna back down now.

They thought the war would end sooner so that they can begin their so called military expedition in Ukraine ravaging the country in the process but Putin put up a good fight. Go Russia. Long live Vladmir Putin

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine's Bid To Join NATO Is Premature - Joe Biden by Divinerace(m): 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2023
Are u sure? shocked shocked

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Trump Never Said Nigerians Live In Huts - White House Says / Four Die After Multiple Stabbings In Sydney Centre (photos) / Iran Irgc Intelligence Chief In Syria, Deputy Killed In Israeli Strike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.