Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,238 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market (37345 Views)

Femi Otedola And Lil Kesh Do The "Shaku Shaku" Dance At Fatima Dangote's Wedding / Fewa Otedola: Meet Femi Otedola's Autistic & Only Son (Photos) / Photo Of Femi Otedola And His Mother Kissing On The Lips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Islie: 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
Nigeria billionaire, Femi Otedola has opened up on how he turned from committing suicide after losing $480 million in the diesel market sometime around 2008.

GWG.ng reports that Otedola, father of famed Nigerian disc jockey, DJ Cuppy, spoke of the perseverance and partnership he got from the CEO of his businesses, Akin Akinfemiwa at the point of his depression.

He spoke at Akin Akinfemiwa’s 50th birthday celebration in London on Tuesday.

According to a report in Nairametrics, Femi Otedola, said that Akin Akinfemiwa played a major role in the revatilisation of his businesses after he turned away from suicide following the slump in the prices of diesel which left him short.
He said:

“My relationship with Akin is what I would call, destiny prevails. In 2005 I had a friend that worked in Oando and she did mention to me that she has a colleague. And she called Akin and we spoke.”

“I set up my training company in London Fine shade energy, I was looking for a trader and I couldn’t find any good trader. I called Dimeji Edwards who was Akin’s boss. Akin picked up the phone to come and see me.

“So he came, and I said to him, listen I want to give you a job. Come and work for me. Then of course he went back to Wale and Mofe who were his bosses then (at Oando). And they said you want to go and work for that man? That has sacked 6 CEOs in 6 years.

“Now when I say destiny prevails, the business collapsed. I built a massive empire. I had 93% of diesel at my fingertips. I was a bit playful, and the business collapsed. The option I had then was to commit suicide. Then, of course, I thought of Nana and the kids. And I said no, I won’t commit suicide.

“I will face reality and sack myself and the business. So, I sacked myself. I made Akin the CEO of the London office, and I was so impressed by the way he turned around the business. I gave him 1% of the business. I now later, made him the CEO of Zenon Oil, and then the CEO of African Petroleum.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/revealed-the-untold-story-of-how-femi-otedola-turned-away-from-suicide/

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by TemplarLandry: 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2023
cool Wow.
Otę $ has also been through a lot.

I dedicate “Seen It All” by Jeezy feat. JAY-Z to him. Great jam!

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by overdrive(m): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2023
grin
Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by illicit(m): 7:38pm On Jul 10, 2023
Rich people

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by OloyeVIII: 7:44pm On Jul 10, 2023
The day you decide to get you some money niggur.. fvck yo friends. #IWonderWhy

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by izonborn098(m): 7:45pm On Jul 10, 2023
'Inside life' in naira' voice

2 Likes

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by nepapole(m): 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2023
Rich people wahala... Ma go soak my garri jeje.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Kizzygentle: 8:49pm On Jul 10, 2023
Oga shut up and let the poor breet... Una go just dey give us lamba.. When u loose 480mills dols u still get like 500mills so shut up or better still u should have just committed the suicide.. We are no longer eating all this nonsense lamba from you guys... I grew in the ghetto, I slept under bridge, i survived hawking nd the rest.. Please let us breathe.. Thank you...

140 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Greystone: 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
A true friend indeed.
Priceless.

3 Likes

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Opportuneke(m): 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
I have come to realisation in life that “Money belongs to God”

He giveth to us as he pleases, so at no point in time should we allow suicide thoughts to overwhelm us.

Let’s just pray 🙏🏻 to him concerning our needs and he will do something about situations 🤲

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by degreatstalion: 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
winkR
Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by slawomir: 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Business na ya mate

Business men na im get mind pass for this life

Any small thing them fit just lose billions in a blink of an eye

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by marvellous2222: 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
Copy and paste!!! Fear bloggers looking for cheap traffic

2 Likes

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Randal: 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2023
Thank GOD for him
Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Jennyclay(f): 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
I just Love this Femi Otedola for no reason

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Jostoman: 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
Otedola my man

1 Like

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by paparazi232(m): 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
Fote$ my MAn

2 Likes

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by MykellOni(m): 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
Hmmmm., One thing I always tell people around me is As far as there's life, my broda hope full ground. No yawa should make you conclude on suicide. Suicide no be escape route....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Badassniggga(m): 8:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
This one issa rich people problems. One thing about being wealthy is that your gains and losses always come in mammoth 🦣 sizes. Even after that loss he's still stupendously rich than 90% of Nigerians.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Bari22: 8:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
Sorry
Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by hisexcellency34: 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
We don hear. Next bass pls
Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Menclothing: 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
Business is not easy Ups and down

1 Like

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by SporaD8: 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
Crew "Let me be like Dangote". "Oh God make me rich like Otedola".
If Otedollar had given up on himself like you, will you know him today?!

3 Likes

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by BabaCommander: 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
He be die?

1 Like

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Slynation(m): 8:54pm On Jul 10, 2023
Please...I want to be like Akin 😂🤣😂

1 Like

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by IkeGod9891(m): 8:54pm On Jul 10, 2023
I have had so many bitter experience in life especially on financial dealings. I don't know how to turn it to a positive gain.

Somebody advice please.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by absoluteSuccess: 8:54pm On Jul 10, 2023
That's powerful.

When everything you have working for you collapses, you come face to face with death.

But just endure a little bit longer and you will be fine. That's the root of the creed that says

Never give up.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Bouncin(m): 8:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
Everyone is passing through a lot

1 Like

Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Praktikals(m): 8:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
grin
Re: How Femi Otedola Avoided Suicide After Losing $480 Million In Diesel Market by Praxis758: 8:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
The rich also cry

Adiye n laagun, iye ara e ni ko je ka mo.

Congrats for overcoming that destructive thought.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Falls After CBN Stops Forex Sales To BDCs / How Late Ossy Ojukwu Saved His Boy Who Stole His $20,000 From Being Lynched / Halima Dangote Dresses For The Dangote Foundation Fundraiser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.