Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola (10648 Views)

Nigerian Military Regimes Built More Infrastructures Than Civilian Govs. / Jonathan Constructed More Roads Than Any President Ever In Nigeria. – Fashola / OMG! Lagos To London Is 5,000km & Jonathan Has Built 25,000 Km Roads In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by anonymous6(f): 7:36pm On Oct 07, 2011
Governor Fashola Says Lagos Has Built More Roads Then Ghana/Sierra Leone

[b]"Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Thursday said the State has  built more new roads in the last three and half years than either Sierra Leone or  Ghana, two countries in the West African sub- region.

Governor Fashola who spoke at the official commissioning of New Plants and Equipment  of the Lagos State Public Works Corporation at Oba Ogunnusi Road, Isheri added that  in the last three years, 251 new roads comprising 371 kilometres have been completed  within Lagos.

He explained that currently another 44 roads that will provide 77 kilometres of new  roads are under construction and would be concluded within the next six months.

Governor Fashola also said in addition to this, another 60 new roads that would add  129 kilometres are under construction and would be completed beyond the six months  timeline.

According to the governor, any observer of events in Lagos can testify that in the  last three and half years, the State has become a huge construction city with the  Government being non-discriminatory in terms of infrastructure development as it has  been by building schools, hospitals, drainages and more importantly roads.

The governor reiterated that easy movement of persons and goods within and around  the state remains central to the deliverables required for the megacity ideal to  take its proper shape, adding that the vision is to make Lagos the model mega City  in Africa.

Governor Fashola said the strategy is to complement the massive on-going road  construction work in various parts of the state with commensurate routine repair and  maintenance exercise.

While explaining that the administration is committed to ensuring that road  maintenance is sustainable, the governor urged the people to reconsider their  general attitude to road maintenance.

This, he said, can be achieved if the people shun the habit of turning the roads to  refuse dumps as well as engaging in indiscriminate road cutting, stressing that most  new roads have ducts provided with them thus making road cutting absolutely  unnecessary.

Governor Fashola said while Government is not opposed to people engaging in laying  of cables across roads, it is always advisable to seek clarifications to be better  informed, adding that government always advises that it is the contractors who  constructed the roads that should cut and fix back the roads if it becomes  absolutely necessary.

The governor urged the Federal Government to accelerate and show serious commitment  to building a rail network that will help the concerned interests to discharge goods  from the ports.

He explained that the advanced countries which Nigeria seeks to emulate do not  discharge their crude and containers by roads but by rail, adding that this is made  more imperative with Lagos State which has the busiest port in the country.

He added that part of the results empirically proven as being responsible for the  state of some of the roads is that when containers are conveyed from the ports, they  are not taken to the warehouses located at the industrial estates where the roads  have been prepared to withstand heavy equipments, but many would prefer to drive the  containers to the streets of their residence thereby shortening the lifespan of such  roads.

Governor Fashola also commended the Public Works Corporation for becoming creative  in finding new and adaptive ways to keep traffic moving and the roads motorable in  spite of the rains.

Governor Fashola said the new methods have proven very reliable and ideal for areas  that are with high water table and those with challenges of drains adding that the  management and staff of the Public Works Corporation should be ready to sing their  own praises if no one does it.

The Governor emphasized that the items being commissioned only represents a tip of  the iceberg in terms of the investment the State is prepared to make towards  ensuring that Lagos roads remain in good condition all year round

The items include 10 tractors with tipping trailers, 13 double cabin pick-ups,  asphalt cutters with blades, paver, 6 rollers, graders, wheel loader and bulldozer.

He also disclosed that a low bed with head, Hyab hand held rollers and flood lights  are awaiting delivery while signs of adherence to health and safety standards are  already manifesting with the use of cones, caution tapes, reflective chevrons,  flashing lights, nose masks, hand gloves, hard hats, safety boots and the bright  yellow uniforms.

In a welcome address, the Executive Chairman of the Lagos State Public Works  Corporation, Mr Gbenga Akintola said the push of the Governor to re-engineer the  Corporation has led the PWC into adopting a wholistic approach to changing its  fortune for the better.

Mr Akintola assured the Governor that his dream for the corporation will come true  earlier than imagined, going by the level of success already recorded in the area of  capacity to respond to emergency road repair requests, working at night, adhering to  health and safety standards and prosecution of the rebranding project.

He said in spite of prevailing circumstances, the Corporation has been able to work  on 127 roads across the State under the palliative programme which commenced in  August 2010, adding that the Corporation has resumed the production of asphalt which  will enable it to carry out proper repair work that will last much longer and reach  more places faster.

Also speaking, the Chairman of the House of Assembly Committee on Works and  Infrastructure, Hon Dayo Fafunmi thanked the Governor for successfully rebranding  the Public Works Corporation.

While commending the organization for getting busy even during the rainy season, Hon  Fafunmi also urged the Governor to give regular funding to the agency.

He also urged the governor to make a case for increased funding of the Public Works  Corporation from the proceeds of the petroleum tax out of which 60 percent is  supposed to be shared among states’ rehabilitation agencies.

Also speaking at the event, the Special Adviser on Works and Infrastructure,  Engineer Ganiyu Johnson who was represented by the Permanent Secretary in the Office  of Infrastructure, Engineer Lateef Olokunola commended the level of repairs being  done round the state by the agency.

He urged the agency to embark upon the training of local engineers in the 57 Local  Government Councils and Local Council Development Areas so that they can assist the  councils to face local roads while the agency faces state roads.

The governor later cut the tape to commission the new plants and equipment before  being conducted round for an inspection of the items."[/b]
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/11/12/lagos-has-built-more-roads-than-ghana-sleone-%E2%80%94fashola/

Governor Fashola
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by danjohn: 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2011
eko o ni baje!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by TomFord: 7:58pm On Oct 07, 2011
Is that for him to say or we the electorate?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Rhino5dm: 8:07pm On Oct 07, 2011
sai fashola 2015!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Relax101(m): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2011
PDP is coming to rescue Lagos state. Everybody say Amen!!!
Imagine Jigawa state Govenor hasnt even boosted about his achievement, na Fashola dey talk. Upon the whole money dem dey steal from the helpless masses.
Jigawa state governor has built more roads than Ghana, S/leone and Lagos. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

ACN dogs attack. lol. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by dayokanu(m): 8:23pm On Oct 07, 2011
Thank you Fashola ooo

Unlike some PDP governors wey dey use 940m almost a billion RENOVATE 10 primary schools
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 08, 2011
What's this bragging all about? Tell us about the length of road constructed and that is enough. Not this blabbing!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by philip0906(m): 5:27pm On Oct 08, 2011
Is this man alright?which roads?where r the roads?every where i go around lagos mainland,pot holes and death-traps called roads.In my area alone,ikotun-ijegun,ejigbo road,cele etc,the roads are in a mess. . .d rain dat fell yesterday has componded d woes of residents.Please superman fashola,[size=18pt]WHERE ARE THE ROADS?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by jacobs123(m): 5:35pm On Oct 08, 2011
has Lagos earned more money than either Sierra Leone or Ghana? I'm not sure but it's possible.
Thay also have more things to deal with than Lagos e.g Embassies abroad, international obligations
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Amujale(m): 5:37pm On Oct 08, 2011
These are bold claims!  shocked shocked shocked

I hope i can establish this as an unshakeable TRUTH so as to add this to my inventory. Sounds like Fashola has to be doing something right.  Please can we have visual proof!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by sheyguy: 5:38pm On Oct 08, 2011
Why compare lagos roads 2 Ghana/seria loenne when he knows
ghana/serria lone probably have other sector of their economy being developed and r not looking at road seriously.
Dat they nigerians r not 2 familiar with Ghana/seira lone.
Lagos gets as much as these country do & lagos is smaller.
My question is this: c an he say lagos has better roads than ghana? Fashola may be trying compared 2 his nigerian counterpart but comparing lagos to ghana like that is completely mean.
Even his projects r very questionable. 4 a project like badagry express way my question goes thus: does that road really need dualisation/expansion to 8 lanes? Why not put that road in good condition and concentrate on inner part of lagos where it will be far more effective.
I think he is trying to hard to impress.
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by aljharem3: 5:41pm On Oct 08, 2011
philip0906:

Is this man alright?which roads?where r the roads?every where i go around lagos mainland,pot holes and death-traps called roads.In my area alone,ikotun-ijegun,ejigbo road,cele etc,the roads are in a mess. . .d rain dat fell yesterday has componded d woes of residents.Please superman fashola,[size=18pt]WHERE ARE THE ROADS?[/size]

Your comment full of hate and jealousy. Go to lagos and see the roads yourself instead of coming here and shouting superman fashola.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by PetroDolla: 5:42pm On Oct 08, 2011
Arrant nonsense! How many kilometers has he constructed in Lagos, to compare with new roads in Ghana and SL? Provide the statistics to justify this claim.
How can he say such rubbish when I see road projects going up all over Ghana all the time?

Nigerians and their obsession with GHANA!!! What has Ghana got to do with roads in Lagos?

Pure crap!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by philip0906(m): 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2011
alj_harem:

Your comment full of hate and jealousy. Go to lagos and see the roads yourself instead of coming here and shouting superman fashola.

wetin dey do this one sef?4 ur info,I was born and bred in lag and have lived in lag all my life. . .or r u blind?
philip0906:

Is this man alright?which roads?where r the roads?every where i go around lagos mainland,pot holes and death-traps called roads.[size=18pt]In my area alone,ikotun-ijegun,ejigbo road,cele etc,the roads are in a mess[/size]. . .d rain dat fell yesterday has componded d woes of residents.Please superman fashola,[size=18pt]WHERE ARE THE ROADS?[/size]
I still ask. . .Where r d roads?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by phantom(m): 6:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
^The roads are in the pipeline, grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by aljharem3: 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2011
philip0906:

wetin dey do this one sef?4 your info,I was born and bred in lag and have lived in lag all my life. . .or r u blind?I still ask. . .Where r d roads?

I am not even an ACN supporter but he has done well for lagos in terms of roads. Where do you live ? so I can now the kind of roads you are accustom to.
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by otokx(m): 6:46pm On Oct 08, 2011
Another lie,
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by RickyRoss1(m): 6:57pm On Oct 08, 2011
Fashola has done quit well in the area of road construction. Fashola is one of the best governors in Nigeria but I believe he is over hyped.

For those asking how many kilometers of roads he has done, check this out,
Governor Fashola added that in the last three years, 251 new roads comprising 371 kilometres have been completed within Lagos.

He explained that currently another 44 roads that will provide 77 kilometres of new roads are under construction and would be concluded within the next six months.

Governor Fashola also said in addition to this, another 60 new roads that would add 129 kilometres are under construction and would be completed beyond the six months timeline.

Most roads in Ghana are in very bad shape, the traffic situation in Accra these days is a nightmare. One of the most important road network in Accra, the one than crosses Mile 7 has been under construction for over 5 years now with less than 40% of the job done, In terms of Infrastructural developed Lagos is far ahead of both Ghana and SL combined.
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by otumfour(m): 7:07pm On Oct 08, 2011
Even their (nigerian) leaders are obsessed wit Ghana, they spit garbage like this and the people go all super excited; they know what y'all wanna hear alright grin, so sad. When are u guys gonna stand up to these vultures huh!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by ak47mann(m): 7:21pm On Oct 08, 2011
Nigerian government don't have shame at all, even Ghanaians are laughing at them fo.o.ls cool
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by folahann(m): 7:29pm On Oct 08, 2011
otumfour:

Even their (nigerian) leaders are obsessed wit Ghana, they spit garbage like this and the people go all super excited; they know what y'all wanna hear alright grin, so sad. When are u guys gonna stand up to these vultures huh!

shut Up!
How long is it going to take Ghana gov't to complete teteh quarshie - Legon- madina road? The road that Kufuor started during his 1st term.
What about Ogbojo, madina estate, Libya quaters, some parts of Airport residential, wild Geeko area (gulf house) to Fiesta royal just to mention a few.
Otumfour, do not expose yourself.
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Parisgoodman(m): 7:54pm On Oct 08, 2011
fashola shud b telling world bank, imf, united nations ecowas, au etc cos i know he tried. a lizard must praise himsef!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by PetroDolla: 8:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
Ricky_Ross, it is the whole of Ghana we are talking about here, not just Accra. Nigeria is 3.8 times the size of Ghana-which means Ghana is a little over a quarter the size of Nigeria. So to arrive at any sensible and rational conclusion, I had expected the gov not only to give statistics of roads constructed in Lagos but detailed information about new roads going up in Ghana and Sierra Leone, so we can make a comparison. I didn’t see anything like that in the story. Instead, he sits in Alausa and makes rather sweeping and unsubstantiated statements. This is disgraceful. But hei I have heard top Nigerian officials say worse things about Ghana in the past. But who cares!

Now if 44 road projects will result in 77 kilomtres of new roads then that is very ridiculous! It means on the average 1.75 km of road is being constructed under each project? Does that make sense to you? Do you know the kilometers of road constructed in Ghana every year? Talk based on facts and get it out of your head that Nigeria can only be seen to be doing well if Ghana is made to look like a piece of rubbish. This attitude is sickening. Only sick people reason like that.

And what infrastructure are you talking about? You want to tell me there are no traffic hassles in Lagos? Or there are no power cuts in Lagos? Or infact the roads in Lagos are perfect condition, huh? Indeed what better infrastructure are you talking about? Even with your ‘better infrastructure’ we see Nigerian firms moving to Accra all the time!

folahann, the Ghana govt will complete those roads when the Benin-Ore road is fixed, as well as the Ibadan road. I have seen many, many horrible roads in Nigeria. In fact there is a portion of the road between Benue and Taraba that I consider the worst road in the world!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by playmode(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2011
I am starting to be weary of this Fashola guy.His self appraisal can be excused but why mention those other countries? He seems to be talking too much these days.Is there any need for him to compare his administration's achievements to another country's? He starting to misyarn like GEJ and his cockiness is just disappointing.So if he become the president ,is this how he is going to take swipes at other African countries? His statement was immature and insensitive.A good leader makes statements that unite not divide.He should have compared his government to the Federal Government only  instead of dragging Ghana and Sierra Leone into the matter, *Sighs* naija politicians = Birds of the same feather.
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Emperoh(m): 9:42pm On Oct 08, 2011
Trumpet blowing.
I wonder why i pay tax or why he was elected in the first place!!

Abeg make we hear word. . . .built more road than Ghana my foot. Why not America!!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 08, 2011
All the haters of fashola why don't you tell us about your state governors performance to compare. Somebody mentioned Jigawa now and nobody questioned him about his assertion, we need not castigating him it is normal to publicize what you've done as a political leader
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by otumfour(m): 10:10pm On Oct 08, 2011
folahann:

shut Up!
How long is it going to take Ghana gov't to complete teteh quarshie - Legon- madina road? The road that Kufuor started during his 1st term.
What about Ogbojo, madina estate, Libya quaters, some parts of Airport residential, wild Geeko area (gulf house) to Fiesta royal just to mention a few.
Otumfour, do not expose yourself.

Wit fools like u running around, these vultures (politicians) will always have their way and unfortunately ur ilk are the many.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^^
Hey!!! Slow down! If you are here to cause more troubles, you better Zap off!
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by adconline(m): 11:13pm On Oct 08, 2011
Where is the source  for  the  "numbers "  he cited? Is he making unsubstantiated claims? Are Surulere/Aguda area roads - where he grew up not part of this " Dubai of Africa" transformation? By the way, Ghana has better road network than Naija in terms of quality and maintenance . Did he ever think like that?
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by ektbear: 11:21pm On Oct 08, 2011
Sai Fashola
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by RickyRoss1(m): 11:42pm On Oct 08, 2011
adconline:

Where is the source  for  the  "numbers "  he cited? Is he making unsubstantiated claims? Are Surulere/Aguda area roads - where he grew up not part of this " Dubai of Africa" transformation? By the way, Ghana has better road network than Naija in terms of quality and maintenance . Did he ever think like that?

Na lie, very BIG lie brother. Most roads in Accra are in very bad condition with massive pot holes that causes hours of traffic jams daily, CAN YOU SAY THE SAME ABOUT OUR FEDERAL CAPITAL ABUJA

I would love Nigerians to say what they know instead of siting in their house and talking rubbish. This is the problem with Nigerians, you stay in Nigeria and say what is happening in Somalia without even setting your foot in the country. Sadly you are not alone, before I ever visited Ghana I was told Ghana has steady power supply and have enjoyed 10 years uninterrupted power supply wow?Huh But the same day i arrived Ghana that was total BLACKOUT in the entire city of Accra that lasted two whole days? I thought it was a joke but this is a daily occurrence in Ghana. Ghana DOES NOT have steady power supply just like in Nigeria. Light goes on and off daily in Ghana just like in Nigeria. Ghana does not have good road network, Ivory Coast has the best road network in west Africa followed by Nigeria, Check all available data online. Even with the war in Ivory Coast, that country is still miles ahead of Ghana in development and everything. Abidjan looks like Paris, very well developed with sku scrappers everywhere, as we speak there is no single 7 story building in the entire Ghana, Pls people should stop talking about Ghana bc they are still infants
Re: Lagos Has Built More Roads Than Ghana & Sierra Leone - Fashola by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^
I stand to disagree with you. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

That building is more than 7 storey tall and is in Accra - Ghana.

I hate when our leaders try to portray other countries as weak!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shocking Confessions From Ex-boko Haram Who Converted To Christian. Alleged Ibb Is The Major Sponsor / Sanusi To FG: Sack 50% Of Civil Servants / Ekiti PDP Women Slam Sen. Olujimi, Say Competing Leadership With Fayose An Insul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.