Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (37940 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Japa Worth It? by hazinibones: 9:17pm On Jul 20, 2023
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by lordm(m): 9:19pm On Jul 20, 2023
It's worth it

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by lordchiz(m): 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2023
Oga over worth it ...
Gather am save till 250k.....u can't suffer outside

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by michlins(m): 10:25pm On Jul 20, 2023
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria

691 Likes 59 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tommy589(m): 10:52pm On Jul 20, 2023
If you are in your twenties japa

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Dimaya: 11:39pm On Jul 20, 2023
OP, Luckily for you, this video that addresses all your concerns was on Nairaland frontpage this monday. Japa. still worth it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiqIyuG0hM

Here, fourteen people discussed all the things you have to take into consideration to make your decision to relocate including the three highly controversial pathways to residency. I suggest you listen till the very end. It's a very practical conversation, highly educative and thankfully, they aren't selling you anything. Pay particular attention to what the geologist says he had to do when he relocated. You can thank me later.

All the best.

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by hazinibones: 11:55pm On Jul 20, 2023
lordm:
It's worth it
Thanks. Please can you give reason why you believe so?
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by hazinibones: 11:56pm On Jul 20, 2023
lordchiz:
Oga over worth it ...
Gather am save till 250k.....u can't suffer outside

Thanks Lord Chiz. But I hear people suffer outside o boss.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by hazinibones: 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2023
tommy589:
If you are in your twenties japa
Thanks Tommy. I am 29. Any particular reason why in my 20s? Please every single information count.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Dimaya: 12:01am On Jul 21, 2023
hazinibones:

Thanks Tommy. I am 29. Any particular reason why in my 20s? Please every single information count.

check the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiqIyuG0hM

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tommy589(m): 1:22am On Jul 21, 2023
hazinibones:

Depending on where you go,you stand a better chance to get an under the table job ahead of an older person pending when you have your papers. The freedom,energy and not constrain emotionally to pursue the needful in making your stay permanent is there too

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Phranx1: 10:14am On Jul 21, 2023
Better still i believe you can afford a temporary travel (Vacation) so go Urself & compare Urself

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Aeman(m): 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2023
Think of being better? Japa is the way, think of being of better use to your generation? Japa is the way

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by lordchiz(m): 6:21pm On Jul 21, 2023
hazinibones:

Thanks Lord Chiz. But I hear people suffer outside o boss.
With 250k dollars?
Haba ogaa.....Na you go even employ white guys out there!
Even u fit run restaurant matters with better employees.....Barbing saloon there Na better money....buy one uber ride there.....change go remain!.....
Still dey run your remote job!
Guy u will be made for life even out there.....
U no go remember say u come from Nigeria!
Very useless Nigeria!
When I dey sleep ..I see Japa....wen I dey eat , I still see Japa....even if I dey toilet, my thinking is Japa.....Japa is all I care!
Nothing but Japa!
I repeat, Nothing but Japa oooooooo....
I just collected my passport for a start....
Make I begin find money small small so I fit leave!

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Klass99(f): 6:53pm On Jul 21, 2023

271 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ecolime(m): 8:17am On Jul 22, 2023
$3,000 in Naija and you wan JAPA? Don't be foolish son.

If abroad dey hungry you that much, your earnings can afford you a yearly vacation anywhere in the world.

255 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Emmacy001: 8:09pm On Jul 22, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

If i were,i will not travel anyway. You are earning $3000 every month for this country.
Bros, can you mentor me. I just embark my learning process on front end.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:36pm On Jul 23, 2023
Op how easy do you think it will be to find another remote job as a Nigerian software engineer resident in Nigeria if you lose this one. Also for the business you intend to do how do you hedge against devaluation since you are bringing in dollars to invest in the said business. Do you think you can match the dollars invested in after a couple of years from the same business?

If you feel you would have no problems with any of these above then you can stay in Nigeria. There's pros and cons to everything in life and it's not always greener on the other side. Just know that if you choose to stay here plan it very well so if you lose your job you don't get stuck or fall into poverty. Met a lot of devs who earned more than you are doing and blew the money. Jobs gone and they don't know what to do.

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Gerrard59(m): 2:14am On Jul 24, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

If those are your reasons for japa, then it is pointless. You are better off in Nigeria. Just save at least 50% of your salary in dollar terms, study the areas you intend to start a business, don't succumb to lifestyle inflation aka buying a car, moving to an expensive neighbourhood - just live the way you are with some slight improvements etc.

Just prepare for the worst, so always be on guard regarding your finances.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by chineduisaac(m): 10:32am On Jul 24, 2023
Stay here in Nigeria. Live in a very suitable neighborhood in cities like Abuja. Go on vacations to any part of the world yearly.

I believe we have top schools and hospitals here in Nigeria. But if that's not ok for you, send your children abroad for studies and go abroad for health issues. I think if you save and invest well, you can afford them

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2023
The short answer is YES!!!

Don't let me lie for your... your have very high possibilities of having a great life and especially for your born and unborn kids...

It's a tru investment to be honest! But the little issues is that JAPA is now extremely expensive....

You best option should be study or work visa...

If you hav the money.. pls go for it....

More info : I actually di t read the part where you mentioned you earn around $3k/m in Nigeria...
If I'm to advice base on that... pls STAY.. you hav a decent salary bro... wot are u looking for...

The life u gonna live as a 3k earner in naija.. someone abroad earning dat same 3k wouldn't be able to live it... you will simply enjoy luxury life...

Just stay and work on vacations only.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by saphiere(f): 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

Stay here let's build Nigeria together.
Not when I stay and build Nigeria you run down to come and enjoy.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nairalander248: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2023
Questions for the gods
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Muhylonaire007: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
I personally feel if you earn this much working remotely, you definitely don't need to japa.
It's not rosy here neither is it rosy over there. That your $3k will make you live like a king here.

My 1 kobo ✌️

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by socialmediaman: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you have the opportunity to work as a professional abroad, don’t even think twice.

Think about the future in Nigeria. It’s just a matter of time before inflation rubbishes your income.

$3,000 abroad is not much but you have the opportunity to grow career wise, earn more, even find a roommate or partner, split the bills and save

17 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SpatialKing(m): 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
No matter what at least

Get a post graduate degree in any top rank schools abroad another especially in USA, UK or Canada.

Then come back to Nigeria to pick up international organizations jobs like UN, USAID, UK Aid etc..
Or country office of Microsoft, Cummins Inc, KPMG, PwC, etc..

Better still join NCC, NIMASA, NNPC etc

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ClearFlair: 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2023
Definitely. If the country you currently reside lacks stability, then what you think you have or own can disappear in the blink of an eye. That's the bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Sermwell(m): 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2023
R
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Basicend: 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you have a clear blueprint and practical tracks of sustainable income + an inspiration from God and you are above 40 years. . I would say, stay in Nigeria.

If you are not in the above category and you have a means to traveling out, please do.

If you are not in any of the 2 above categories, I would say, carry your Bible and Quran well and pray vigorously for the survival of your soul and that of Nigeria as a place. Be radical in your huzzle. .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by millionboi2: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
Naija4live,I can't withstand that cold hell

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by fergieboy: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
Seriously naija is the best country to live in

If you know you can’t pay bills stay naija o

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by 2023Blessed: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
Honestly, it's not worth it. If and when you japa, you will still land jobs of between S100,000 - $150,000 per annum as a Software Engineer.

However, think of taxes (which will be above 30% of your earnings. Think of high cost of rent which is above $1,500 monthly for a decent 1 bedroom. Think of high utility bills etc.

You pay next to nothing as income tax in Nigeria. By the time you are paying N1.5m per annum, you are living in a very decent accomodation in major cities in Nigeria .......

Think ooo. Think!!!!!

36 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Things To Know About Airport Cleaner Girl Who Returned Lost N12m In 2015 / Check Out Amazing Photos Of A Curvy Nigeria’s Female Firefighter / I’m The Only Woman At My Job — The Life Of An Oil And Gas Engineer At Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.