Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? (8852 Views)

State Government Work Or Bank Job / Bank Work Or Bolt Driver? / Hot And Interesting Project Topics On "Political Science". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Meritjoshua(m): 6:18pm On Jul 24, 2023
I applied for political science in unilorin during 2022 Utme but i was transferred to social work early this month.(it was due to their slow calendar and the strike)
i felt bad because social work sound lesser than political science. so my question is which one is better between the two?
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Lungdick: 9:18am On Jul 25, 2023
Social work in the long run. That's if you plan to migrate to countries like australia, canada, uk, e.t.c

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by sageb: 9:21am On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:
I applied for political science in unilorin during 2022 Utme but i was transferred to social work early this month.(it was due to their slow calendar and the strike)
i felt bad because social work sound lesser than political science. so my question is which one is better between the two?

In Nigeria, Political science is better but social work is so lucrative in saner climes.
If you intend to travel abroad later,go for social work.

22 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Meritjoshua(m): 9:41am On Jul 25, 2023
sageb:

In Nigeria, Political science is better but social work is so lucrative in saner climes.
If you intend to travel abroad later,go for social work.
that is what someone told me. He even said social workers are needed all over the world

15 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by sageb: 9:51am On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:
that is what someone told me. He even said social workers are needed all over the world

Yes, while studying you can apply for volunteer opportunities in NGOs to gain experience.
Any question?

14 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Meritjoshua(m): 11:03am On Jul 25, 2023
sageb:

Yes, while studying you can apply for volunteer opportunities in NGOs to gain experience.
Any question?
hmmm it is getting clearer... Non government organisation like unicef bah?

8 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by AntiChristian: 12:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
Which one be Social Work again? tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by wotica1572: 12:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
Follow
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Mindlog: 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
Social work.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by DanielsParker(m): 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
Social work is better m. How can you want to study political science? For the love of politics or what? With or without Pol sc. you can still be involved in politics if that’s what you want.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:
none, a complete waste of time. Instead learn trade or skill

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Pwhitelaw(m): 12:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
Just stick to social works cause there are so many opportunities abroad if you manage to travel out unlike political science

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Yohans(m): 12:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
Social work.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by ItisWell22(f): 12:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
I think even here in Nigeria, social work has better prospects.

All the best, anyway…
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Weedhustler: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2023
Use that money I want to go and waste and learn hand work... after 5 years u go know why I said so.

Cause the way am seeing u from now till 5 years time u won't even graduate!

7 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by psychupgrade: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
Choose social work.

Those still sitting for JAMB, should look towards studying courses like psychology and social work if they have plans to migrate after studies. Psychology have given me so many work opportunities here in the UK, that I had to be selective.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by patricknz(m): 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:

Hi, Good afternoon. I work with Studyin-UK Nigeria.
I’d say you are lucky for being transferred to Social Work.
In Nigeria, you can get almost any job no matter your field of Study, so with that you can get any job a Political Science cert holder can get, but outside the shores of Nigeria, you are KING.
Social Work is highly on demand and it will take a strong background to get an offer for that, and with your own back ground, the sky is your limit.
Take the course, you’ll be grad you did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by 9182736455O1999(m): 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2023
I've been hearing of this social works lately, please can someone explain to me what is entails and the kind of works dey do.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by HOMOTOYOSI10: 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:
I wonder why you think social work is lesser than political science, I was in your shoes in 2015 and I'm today grateful that my course was changed.

2 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Timoleon(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2023
This is the advice you need. Don’t waste the next four years learn a trade or skill.
Ajehkpako4naija:
none, a complete waste of time. Instead learn trade or skill

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Muhylonaire007: 12:26pm On Jul 25, 2023
Lol...
Nonsense courses.
I studied Political science. Apart from arguing politics like a mad man, there is nothing else you can do with the course.

Nigeria in particular made those courses to be useless. It is a complete waste of time and money. I said what I said!

BTW... I graduated with 2:1, so nobody should mention me in anyway

9 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2023
Timoleon:
This is the advice you need. Don’t waste the next four years learn a trade or skill.
useless course, people with Engineering qualifications are finding it hard to get a job, na your dead useless political science u want take get job. Even Buhari and your druggie president don't have a certificate. In our country, political science holders are irrelevant, politics is for the rich, with a strong family name of timbre and calibre and a dead conscience

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by DeLaRue: 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
A 'Social Work' degree from Nigeria will not get you a job in that field abroad.

Please ignore those advising you it will be lucrative in Tokyo, Australia, and Peru etc

It is not a good thing to say, but if I was going to University in 2023, I will not choose 'political science' or 'social work.'

You need to study a subject that will give you a good chance of securing a job when you graduate.

If I was in your shoes, I would rather spend my next few years like this:

1. Learn furniture making at a good company for 2 years or however long it takes to become competent.

2. As that is going on, I will register with Open University and study a course. If I absolutely want political science, then I will study it there.

You will graduate with a degree at the same time as your mates who attend a regular university, but you will already be making money 2 - 3 years before them.

11 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by pfadom: 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
What do you gain from Political Science, where the local politicians of Amala Politics, Almajiri, ethnicity -driven non-state actors, road transport unions, unknown gun men, etc determine the political direction of Nigeria.

Political theories hardly work here. For example, miscalculation of political pathway and egoism have made nonsense of all permutations ahead of the 2023 general elections.

In short, settle for Social Work which is of more benefits to yourself personally and career-wise, and also contribute to social and behavioral change for nation building.

God bless you.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by fotadmowmend(m): 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
Social work is more specific ......
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:
social work is the best,once you have opportunity to Japa you're big fish, there's increase in hard drugs users and your expertise in that field would be needed in rehabilitation homes here in Nigeria or abroad,it's a blessing in disguise grab it,do the course with passion and excel in that field....it's an underrated lucrative course

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by seunny4lif(m): 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2023
Social workers are one of the highest paid in the world except Nigeria.
Political science are for those that their families are already rich.

4 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Mindlog: 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
DeLaRue:
A'Social Work' degree from Nigeria will not get you a job in that field abroad.

It would. Graduate well and try getting registered with Social Work England.

2 Likes

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
9182736455O1999:
I've been hearing of this social works lately, please can someone explain to me what is entails and the kind of works dey do.
check where I qouted the poster below you'll see answer to your question

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by aremubabs: 12:41pm On Jul 25, 2023
Meritjoshua:

Social work is way better than political science.

What do you want to do with political science?

Without a master's degree or PhD, there is hardly anything you can do with a political science degree except to teach government and history in schools.

Social workers (just like nurses) are hot cakes everywhere in the world.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Access Bank Md Aigboje Aig-imoukhuede Curses Staff For Not Opening Account / Career Mistake To Avoid If Your Love Your Job / Would You Leave Paid Employment To Start A Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.