Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? (8975 Views)

State Government Work Or Bank Job / Bank Work Or Bolt Driver? / Hot And Interesting Project Topics On "Political Science". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Richdee1(m): 1:21am On Jul 26, 2023
Social work would always beat it, I'm a graduate of social work awaiting service
Please I need guide to get Funded scholarship for msc social work abroad
Make I dey prepare
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Bankowner: 3:24am On Jul 26, 2023
Social Work does not have base in Nigeria but if I were you, I'd still go for the program but with the plan to move abroad to get a Masters and integrate into the social work system in the country you go to.

I completed my Ontario College Diploma in Social Service Worker in May and I can say for sure that there are endless opportunities in the field. I have a full-time job already and looking to get another on relief or part-time. It gets better if you get the Ontario driver's license G2 or G and have a small car to push yourself around.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Bankowner: 3:36am On Jul 26, 2023
Social Workers don't make a lot of money. It's believed to be a helping profession and not for monetary gain. When I started my diploma program, we were told at the beginning that if our aim of coming into social service work is for the money and not the passion to help and make change happen for the less privileged or oppressed people, then we should consider opting out.
scally11:

Guy stop lying. Which highest paid in the world? Social Work is far more lucrative than political science in the UK and developed world. Just apply to UK school for Msc. Put in good SOP and viola ur start earning pounds. Mind u am a social welfare student with social work module in the uk
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by sageb: 4:46am On Jul 26, 2023
Bankowner:
Social Work does not have base in Nigeria but if I were you, I'd still go for the program but with the plan to move abroad to get a Masters and integrate into the social work system in the country you go to.

I completed my Ontario College Diploma in Social Service Worker in May and I can say for sure that there are endless opportunities in the field. I have a full-time job already and looking to get another on relief or part-time. It gets better if you get the Ontario driver's license G2 or G and have a small car to push yourself around.

Do Canadian universities offer scholarships to Nigerians that wish to come for postgraduate study in the aforementioned course?
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Alabaintprice(m): 6:30am On Jul 26, 2023
From experience as someone who studied political science. Don't study that useless course in this country except you have intentions of doing international law in your masters or international relations.

I've not seen any course in the uni as useless as political science.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by phemmyfour: 7:27am On Jul 26, 2023
Meritjoshua:
I applied for political science in unilorin during 2022 Utme but i was transferred to social work early this month.(it was due to their slow calendar and the strike)
i felt bad because social work sound lesser than political science. so my question is which one is better between the two?
Just graduate first. You can always go back to political science
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Bankowner: 10:27am On Jul 26, 2023
I doubt this! But it's up to you to look for schools that offer scholarships to international students if there are any.
sageb:

Do Canadian universities offer scholarships to Nigerians that wish to come for postgraduate study in the aforementioned course?
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Shattuck(m): 12:13pm On Jul 26, 2023
mercy87:

Email me then. I want to talk to you.
I didn't get your mail, my mail blizzlife007@gmail.com
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by chieni(f): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2023
Social workkkkk oh. it's gaining ground in Nigeria. Once you gain experience especially working with vulnerable people in rural areas which is the key area social work focuses on, you can get jobs with international organization if you are experienced. Please read up about social work so you will understand.

International bodies like USAID fund huge projects by partnering with local NGOs to provide support for these vulnerable ones in the society. By vulnerable I mean people living with HIV/AIDS, Orphans, low income household etc.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by chieni(f): 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2023
Meritjoshua:
that is what someone told me. He even said social workers are needed all over the world
Yes they are. You will understand when you graduate. I remember seeing them in school as an undergraduate. I didn't understand what the profession entails. people didn't really place value on them. I am actually speaking from experience. God ahead with it. You will love it when you graduate. It gives you an opportunity to make impact on the lives of vulnerable people in the society. It also pays well and open doors if you are able to get job in an NGO that pays well.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Anny69: 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2023
Stalyon69, I'm jealous of you. See the way people are belittling my course. cry
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Stalyon69: 10:49pm On Jul 26, 2023
Anny69:
Stalyon69, I'm jealous of you. See the way people are belittling my course. cry
It has to be social work of course😂😂
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Anny69: 10:58pm On Jul 26, 2023
Stalyon69:

It has to be social work of course😂😂
🥲

Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by Clemchex: 3:51pm On Sep 11, 2023
Am a tire technician and I don't know how to apply for a job in Canada please I need an information. Thanks

DeLaRue:
A 'Social Work' degree from Nigeria will not get you a job in that field abroad.

Please ignore those advising you it will be lucrative in Tokyo, Australia, and Peru etc

It is not a good thing to say, but if I was going to University in 2023, I will not choose 'political science' or 'social work.'

You need to study a subject that will give you a good chance of securing a job when you graduate.

If I was in your shoes, I would rather spend my next few years like this:

1. Learn furniture making at a good company for 2 years or however long it takes to become competent.

2. As that is going on, I will register with Open University and study a course. If I absolutely want political science, then I will study it there.

You will graduate with a degree at the same time as your mates who attend a regular university, but you will already be making money 2 - 3 years before them.
Re: Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? by yaseer111: 8:29am On Nov 04, 2023
Psammmy:
My dear, study social and travel to Finland or any Scandinavian country, you go earn well n be hot cake in the market.. I fact social work is a huge n well paying discipline in the West..

quote author=Meritjoshua post=124632299]I applied for political science in unilorin during 2022 Utme but i was transferred to social work early this month.(it was due to their slow calendar and the strike)
i felt bad because social work sound lesser than political science. so my question is which one is better between the two?
hello good morning sir happy weekend, please sir I haven't heard from you since you asked for my details which I sent u please I hope you have not changed your mind please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Work For Money Or Passion? / Entry Level Package For Banks You Know? / Best Place To Start A Career?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.