Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them (18875 Views)

House Of Reps Blasts Bello El-Rufai For Denying Receiving SUV / Akume: I’ve Donated My N20m For Nomination Form To APC / Aisha Yesufu Blasts Rotimi Amaechi For Denying Kidnappers' Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by FreeStuffsNG: 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2023
Female inheritance: Court orders A-Ibom man to pay nieces N20m

By Chioma Onuegbu

Uyo —Akwa Ibom State High Court sitting in Uyo has ordered one Mr. Sampson Udoh, an indigene of Itiam Etoi in Uyo Local Government Area of the state to pay N20 million to two of his nieces for breaching their fundamental rights.

The court made the order in its judgment, yesterday, in a suit by Sampson Udoh, seeking enforcement of his application to stop his nieces from inheriting their late father’s property.

Respondents in the suit were Mrs. Bakabasi James, Miss Ndantiabasi Silas and Mr. Williams Ubetem, Investigating Police Officer (IPO) attached to the state Police Headquarters, Ikot Akpan Abia and the state Commissioner of Police.

The court noted that the main contention of the applicant was that his nieces, being female children of his late elder brother, Mr. Isaac Udoh, should not inherit their father’s property because they are women.

The court noted that the women said their late father built his house between 1976 and 1980 and that they’ve lived in their father’s house from birth till date without any problem, until they attempted to appropriate the inheritance and their uncle unleashed mayhem on them.

Justice Ntong Ntong in the judgment, described the applicant’s action as obnoxious and repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience.

The court said: “The maltreatment is opprobrium, offensive and unconstitutional.”
The court held that it was high time paramount rulers, clan heads, village heads and community leaders in Akwa Ibom State came to terms with the facts that female children have equal stake with their male counterparts to inherit their parents property.

The court held: “The first and second respondents acquired their father’s property at Isaac Silas Obot’s compound, Nung Udoetok Ibom Adia Abasi of Itiam Etoi, Uyo, a fact contained in exhibits canvassed in their counter affidavit in the minutes of the peace meeting and property sharing agreement of Udoetok Ibom Adia Abasi Family, dated January 11, 2019.

“The applicant cannot be allowed to take advantage of the vulnerability of his nieces just because they were born girls and women into their family.

“From the totality of credible evidence before the court, the Police and other respondents did not and are not likely to encroach or infringe upon the rights of the applicant.

“Instead, it was the applicant that infringed upon the fundamental rights of his nieces, with impunity, which cannot be allowed to stand.

“The application for the enforcement of the applicant’s fundamental rights has failed woefully in its entirety and dismissed same with cost of total sum of N20.1 million, payable to the 1st and 2nd respondents at N10.05 million each.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/female-inheritance-court-orders-a-ibom-man-to-pay-nieces-n20m/

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by FreeStuffsNG: 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2023
The court said: “The maltreatment is opprobrium, offensive and unconstitutional.”
The court held that it was high time paramount rulers, clan heads, village heads and community leaders in Akwa Ibom State came to terms with the facts that female children have equal stake with their male counterparts to inherit their parents property

It serves him right. He even had the effontery to take his nieces to court so the court can restrain his nieces and allow him exercise his right over the property that should naturally be inherited by his nieces. Their 'offence'; they are females shocked Smh.

If this kind of injustice is not stopped anywhere such obnoxious practices is still being done in Akwa Ibom and other states then brothers may start killing their wealthy brothers and their sons who should inherit the wealth so they can inherit the property that belongs to the wealthy siblings' children niyen o. Check my signature for free stuffs!

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by talented321: 3:57pm On Jul 27, 2023
I hate when people maltreat their female relatives'' i will never take advantage of my close female relatives'' when ever i look back and see them coming around me it makes me so proud with the respect they are given to me'' that is how my uncle wanted to kill my mother all because he is a first child.
You can't maltreat people anyhow because of a said tradition that was formed by a fellow man.
To all the women passing through unnecessary pains because say u are a woman'' no worry u will be fine
(With My Precious Loud) ''while Zino and Ruger keep the vibe going'' very very bad, africa

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Macphenson: 3:57pm On Jul 27, 2023
Honestly female children should have equal stakes with male children in a family.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Bluntguy: 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2023
Akwa Ibom and wickedness to women and young girls be like 5&6

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Nemesis0147(m): 4:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Stupid uncle that wants to reap where he did not sow.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Zico5(m): 4:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
How can u deny ur blood sister good things of life that both of u are entitled to cos she is a female. This is so common in south east and south south. I think the state governments need to look into this issue. Many have died due to issue like this. It's very bad and crude at the same time. Now uncles are also claiming the same things. Wonders shall never end.

10 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by tobenuel(m): 4:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
Family affairs

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:03pm On Jul 27, 2023
How much come be the will left behind ?

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by slawomir: 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2023
Damnnn niggar

I dunno why in this part of the world they deny females their gadmnnn fundamental rights

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by ImoleNaija: 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2023
What a wicked uncle angry!

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Ayobami7(m): 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2023
Na wa o
Thank God for the place I was born and raised in respect women right to inheritance

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Realestatevixen: 4:06pm On Jul 27, 2023
Hmm
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Sonnobax15(m): 4:06pm On Jul 27, 2023
lipsrsealed
A girl child must equally be treated right just like a male child.......Na like this dem do to our mothers back in the days wey dem no take go school...At the end,na the same girl child wey you neglect as a parent,na she go still take care of you during your old age....

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Creamypie(m): 4:06pm On Jul 27, 2023
Na wah. Leave ur brother property for his wife/kids. Na poor and lazy people dey make those laws

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Geonigga(m): 4:06pm On Jul 27, 2023
That is the position of the law there is even a Supreme authority on that.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by GanagiBitrus: 4:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
Most of these traditions against women are becoming outdated & should be discarded.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Guyman01: 4:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
Okokobioko, the man don enter gbese, didn't he read the Supreme Court judgment on female inheritance in favour of the women from Anambra State which settled this matter, he is still living in ancient times.

Na this kind matter FIDA and women lawyers dey use shine for South East since that Supreme Court which has now been accepted except where the women are not interested in their late father's property because they are married and probably doing well economically to bother

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 27, 2023
Hmmm.
Being born a female has now become a crime
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

The court noted that the main contention of the applicant was that his nieces, being female children of his late elder brother, Mr. Isaac Udoh, should not inherit their father’s property because they are women.

The court noted that the women said their late father built his house between 1976 and 1980 and that they’ve lived in their father’s house from birth till date without any problem, until they attempted to appropriate the inheritance and their uncle unleashed mayhem on them.
There uncle na thief abeg! undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 27, 2023
I don't pity men when they cry about having to bear the burden of performance
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by KingDash09(m): 4:10pm On Jul 27, 2023
Normally...

If you no get sons you’re finished, imagine he tried this hot headed male sons
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by FreeStuffsNG: 4:10pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bluntguy:
Some years ago, I was shocked when one very lovely lady from Akwa Ibom lamented how their culture compels the female children to contribute more for their father's burial yet forbidden from inheritance. She was close to tears that day because she was away from work here in Lagos for 2 weeks, travelled to her village in Akwa Ibom and had to empty her savings for her father's burial. Till date, I still remember her pain on such unfair practice in her culture. She was very close to cursing her brothers and her culture that day.

All these kind of injustice need to stop. These female children do not deserve to be cheated like this and I am happy that a court has come to their rescue. Iniebe Effiong forming human rights lawyer in Lagos is from this state o but I have never read of where he championed campaign against such injustice. The current Senate President is from there too yet no law is against such obnoxious cultural practices.

This Judge is taking the lead to redress this injustice but the state assembly needs to still make law to punish people like this uncle who was about to take the property away from his nieces because they are females.

In the absence of real laws and strong political will to stop this kind of unfair cultural prejudices against the female child, my advice to yet-to-be married ladies not from places like Akwa Ibom is that you should shine your eyes before love carries you to Akwa Ibom and you receive the shock of your life that your female children are considered inferior and culturally forbidden from inheriting what you and your husband slaved for to pass on as inheritance.

Love is sweet but in marriage,love is not all that marriage entails o. Understand the culture of the place where who you want to tie up your lifetime with hails from o. Abo oro la nso fun Omoluabi........

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Blackdisciple(m): 4:11pm On Jul 27, 2023
Bluntguy:

My friend go and siddon what do you know about Akwa Ibom..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Passionate888: 4:12pm On Jul 27, 2023
grin
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Romanoff(f): 4:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
Write a will. It is not a bad thing.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Zupay: 4:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
Happy with the ruling.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Dotherightthing: 4:17pm On Jul 27, 2023
How can an uncle deny children of their father's inheritance
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Senioradvocate(m): 4:19pm On Jul 27, 2023
angry
Re: Female Inheritance: Court Orders A-ibom Man To Pay Nieces N20m For Denying Them by Shinjawestside: 4:24pm On Jul 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Some years ago, I was shocked when one very lovely lady from Akwa Ibom lamented how their culture compels the female children to contribute more for their father's burial yet forbidden from inheritance. She was close to tears that day because she was away from work here in Lagos for 2 weeks, travelled to her village in Akwa Ibom and had to empty her savings for her father's burial. Till date, I still remember her pain on such unfair practice in her culture. She was very close to cursing her brothers and her culture that day.

All these kind of injustice need to stop. These female children do not deserve to be cheated like this and I am happy that a court has come to their rescue. Iniebe Effiong forming human rights lawyer in Lagos is from this state o but I have never read of where he championed campaign against such injustice. The current Senate President is from there too yet no law is against such obnoxious cultural practices.

This Judge is taking the lead to redress this injustice but the state assembly needs to still make law to punish people like this uncle who was about to take the property away from his nieces because they are females.

In the absence of real laws to stop this kind of unfair cultural prejudices against the female child, my advice to ladies not from places like Akwa Ibom is that you should shine your eyes before love carries you to Akwa Ibom and you receive the shock of your life that your female children are inferior and forbidden from inheriting what you and your husband slaved for to pass on as inheritance. Love is sweet but in marriage,love is not all that marriage entails o. Understand the culture of who you want to tie up your lifetime with. Abo oro la nso fun Omoluabi........

When will u get a job

Always online

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku Files Fresh Lawsuit Against Tinubu In America - Aide / Akpabio"s Defection : The Hypocrisy Of President Buhari's Anti Corruption War / DPR: Nigeria’s Oil Reserves Will Run Dry In 49 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.