Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,374 members, 7,812,093 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

My Macbook Screen Went Blank - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Macbook Screen Went Blank (1363 Views)

Macbook Screen Flickering Problem / Random pressing Of My Macbook Pro button Issue / How To Solve HBO Go Blank Screen Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 10:24am On Jul 30, 2023
I use a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2017 Model

I was using it Yesterday and all of a sudden the screen went totally blank and it has refused to display anything

I took it to Technician and the guy some servicing but it didn't work.

He said I'll have to change the screen which will cost me about 250k

250k? I certainly will never spend that on a laptop screen which may still bring same problem in future.

What do you advise I do now?

How will I utilize the laptop?

The laptop still works well just the screen.

I'm thinking of using a monitor with HDMI but have never gone through this route before

How would you use a laptop like this?

qtguru, truthcoder
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by qtguru(m): 10:45am On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

I was using it Yesterday and all of a sudden the screen went totally blank and it has refused to display anything

250k? I certainly will never spend that on a laptop screen which may still bring same problem in future.

I'm thinking of using a monitor with HDMI but have never gone through this route before

qtguru, truthcoder

250k for screen, nah either monitor and use the TV, depends on the type of coding you do.
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 10:50am On Jul 30, 2023
qtguru:

250k for screen, nah either monitor and use the TV, depends on the type of coding you do.

I don't understand boss

I should buy a monitor or I should use a television?

Can u recommend a cost friendly monitor like 27 inch or so
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by GloriousGbola: 10:52am On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

qtguru, truthcoder

Before you buy an external monitor, do your research. Macs do not always play well with non apple monitors. I have an ultrawide monitor and my mac mini (2012) has refused to output that resolution.

As an aside this is why I always advice against apple hardware. It is by design intended to be replaced rather than repaired.

6 Likes

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 10:53am On Jul 30, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Before you buy an external monitor, do your research. Macs do not always play well with non apple monitors. I have an ultrawide monitor and my mac mini (2012) has refused to output that resolution.

As an aside this is why I always advice against apple hardware. It is by design intended to be replaced rather than repaired.

Yes

I'll definitely test it first
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Purvan(m): 10:55am On Jul 30, 2023
Sell that MacBook and buy another laptop

1 Like

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by qtguru(m): 10:57am On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

I don't understand boss

I'm looking at cost effective options, if you have an HDMI TV, you can use that if not, monitor might be cheaper but ensure to buy those HDMI connector, it's like 8k - 15k for you guys , and check it with your laptop first before buying.
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 11:01am On Jul 30, 2023
qtguru:

I'm looking at cost effective options, if you have an HDMI TV, you can use that if not, monitor might be cheaper but ensure to buy those HDMI connector, it's like 8k - 15k for you guys , and check it with your laptop first before buying.

Alright.
Thank u
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Babtunz: 11:22am On Jul 30, 2023
Purvan:

What's there to sell if the screen doesn't even work?
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Babtunz: 11:23am On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

Did you buy it new or second-hand? And how long have you been using it?
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Purvan(m): 11:24am On Jul 30, 2023
Babtunz:

Sell as scrap ni

1 Like

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 11:54am On Jul 30, 2023
Babtunz:

Did you buy it new or second-hand? And how long have you been using it?

Uk used

About 8 months now
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 11:55am On Jul 30, 2023
Purvan:

If I get a good monitor I will use it as desktop instead.

Just pained i got it almost 520k and didn't enjoy it
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 11:57am On Jul 30, 2023
Purvan:

Sell as scrap ni

If your eyes stop working one day.

Go sell the rest of your body as scrap idiot
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by qtguru(m): 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

If I get a good monitor I will use it as desktop instead.

Just pained i got it almost 520k and didn't enjoy it

Sorry mehn are you in Lagos, let me call my guy about the screen or if you can get from Aliexpress
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2023
GloriousGbola:

2012 mac mini is old.

How do you expect it to drive a high resolution display at the highest possible resolution without adding some extra GPU?

The simple fact that your 11 year old mini pc is still working speaks well of its build.

1 Like

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 2:24pm On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

qtguru, truthcoder

There is a display problem with the 2017 MacBook pro. I would have dropped some links to some reddit articles but Seun’s bots are kinda touchy and i dont want to get banned.

It is possibly a flex cable issue. Since i dont have full access to the laptop, i might not be able to say with certainty but I would advise you do some google research on this.

This is why i stuck to the 2015 MBP. The next jump for me is to the M1 MacBook Air and my only reservation has been the screen size.

Cheers
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 2:25pm On Jul 30, 2023
Paystack:

I don't understand boss

Use your tv first.

Connect to the TV via an hdmi dongle and if it displays, then you can buy a monitor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2023
Babtunz:

There is a lot to sell. The computer is still there for starters
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by GloriousGbola: 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2023
truthCoder:

2012 mac mini is old.

How do you expect it to drive a high resolution display at the highest possible resolution without adding some extra GPU?

The simple fact that your 11 year old mini pc is still working speaks well of its build.

My monitor is an ultra wide is 2560 x 1080. That is HD, not qhd or 4k. Macs have issues with non native ultra wide displays.

Ironically the mac mini actually supports higher resolutions than HD, only in 16.9. Nothing could make it support 21.9

And I did a lot of research. There are some apps taht are supposed to enable proper ultra wide support, but I gave up on them after a point

The only non native ultra wide displays that do not have any resolution issues with macs are monitors with display port inputs. So you want a mini display port to display port adapter. That was the summary of sojourn where hdmi to hdmi, mini display port to hdmi, was unable to support ultra wide displays which have been around since 2013.

This model of 2012 Mac mini comes with an Intel i7 4th gen.

What I would have expected you to do is ask of the exact specs of the display vs mac mini.

If the op is not into ultra wide monitors he may not have any issues. Or he may. The widespread driver support of windows does not exist on macs.
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 4:00pm On Jul 30, 2023
GloriousGbola:

I suggest you go online and read up on the subject. My ultra wide is 2560 x 1080. That is HD, not qhd or 4k. Macs have issues with non native ultra wide displays.

Ironically the mac mini actually supports higher resolutions than HD, only in 16.9. Nothing could make it support 21.9

And I did a lot of research. There are some apps taht are supposed to enable proper ultra wide support, but I gave up on them after a point

The only non native ultra wide displays that do not have any resolution issues with macs are monitors with display port inputs. So you want a mini display port to display port adapter. That was the summary of sojourn where hdmi to hdmi, mini display port to hdmi, was unable to support ultra wide displays which have been around since 2013.

This model of 2012 Mac mini comes with an Intel i7 4th gen.

What I would have expected you to do is ask of the exact specs of the display vs mac mini.

If the op is not into ultra wide monitors he may not have any issues. Or he may. The widespread driver support of windows does not exist on macs.

A simple google search...use the mini display port and not HDMI. Thank me later.

The op has a 2017 and will not have your issues.

1 Like

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by GloriousGbola: 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2023
truthCoder:

A simple google search...use the mini display port and not HDMI. Thank me later.

The op has a 2017 and will not have your issues.

Let me say it again - it will only work it you have a mini displayport to displayport connection. Anything else and you will have scaling issues.

I bought two different minidisplay port to hdmi adapters and I still had scaling issues. Unfortunately my monitor does not have a displayport input. If it did, maybe I would have gotten a mini displayport to displayport cable and the scaling issues would be resolved.

I will probably revisit the issue again with the different software solutions. I basically wanted to mess with a mac and the 2012 mac mini is the last truly upgradable mac out there.
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 4:42pm On Jul 30, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Let me say it again - it will only work it you have a mini displayport to displayport connection. Anything else and you will have scaling issues.

I bought two different minidisplay port to hdmi adapters and I still had scaling issues. Unfortunately my monitor does not have a displayport input. If it did, maybe I would have gotten a mini displayport to displayport cable and the scaling issues would be resolved.

I will probably revisit the issue again with the different software solutions. I basically wanted to mess with a mac and the 2012 mac mini is the last truly upgradable mac out there.

Converting mini display port to hdmi (especially the early variant ) is a downgrade and you will lose resolution.

Your monitor should have a display port connection.

This is not an apple issue. It is in relation to the standards available in 2012.

Today, we have thunderbolt.

1 Like

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 6:31pm On Jul 30, 2023
truthCoder:

Use your tv first.

Connect to the TV via an hdmi dongle and if it displays, then you can buy a monitor.

Wow thanks
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 6:32pm On Jul 30, 2023
truthCoder:

There is a display problem with the 2017 MacBook pro. I would have dropped some links to some reddit articles but Seun’s bots are kinda touchy and i dont want to get banned.

It is possibly a flex cable issue. Since i dont have full access to the laptop, i might not be able to say with certainty but I would advise you do some google research on this.

This is why i stuck to the 2015 MBP. The next jump for me is to the M1 MacBook Air and my only reservation has been the screen size.

Cheers

I swear

I never enjoyed the laptop

Always displays some crazy lines on the screen when im playing video or editing videos using Ps or any heavy usage
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by Paystack: 6:33pm On Jul 30, 2023
qtguru:

Sorry mehn are you in Lagos, let me call my guy about the screen or if you can get from Aliexpress

I'll be in Lagos in few weeks time
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by MountainView: 5:22am On Jul 31, 2023
I'm surprised people haven't noticed that Apple uses Software to kill hardware.

I've been seeing comments on YouTube and on forums where people complain about this I thought it was a joke.

My first experience was after Updating my 13 Pro max
; Within few days the screen went blind, I checked on YouTube saw alot of people saying the same thing.

I spent 340K to get a replacement screen.

Second time was my 2020 MacBook pro,

Just refused to Power on, went to repair it, I was told it was a motherboard issue.

A new motherboard cost about 300K I just had to dump it at home.

Note: this is also after updating the MacBook pro.

I also noticed something on the comments, people who experience these problems are usually not EU or North America

It's Africa/South Americans that usually experience these sorts of problems.

I'm being careful with Apple, this is bad Practice.

4 Likes

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by truthCoder: 5:53am On Jul 31, 2023
MountainView:

I've been seeing comments on YouTube and on forums where people complain about this I thought it was a joke.

; Within few days the screen went blind, I checked on YouTube saw alot of people saying the same thing.

Just refused to Power on, went to repair it, I was told it was a motherboard issue.

I also noticed something on the comments, people who experience these problems are usually not EU or North America

Your phone screen got damaged days after the update. How could they have been related? In addition, if you bought your phone as used, the possibility of having fake components (including fake or hacked screens) that can fail unexpectedly is high.

As regards your motherboard, did you even do an SMC reset before going to computer village where one boy under an umbrella has concluded that your motherboard has returned to its ancestors?

If dumb girls and boys can own and use iPhones all across the world, dont you think an event such as a widespread bricking of devices after update would have been trending non stop? Why should we be hearing only from you?

3 Likes

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by qtguru(m): 7:27am On Jul 31, 2023
MountainView:

'

I doubt it, someone would have raised it up and sued apple.
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by john1101(m): 11:54am On Jul 31, 2023
qtguru:
'

You may be right but remember not every average boy and girl can own those devices more still not everyone can attempt to update his software, also consider he said not any EU nations only Africans and south Americans he noticed where complaining, so he has a point.
Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by MountainView: 12:42pm On Jul 31, 2023
qtguru:
'

I bought the 13 Pro Max Brand New also the MacBook Pro

When I did the update I noticed the size of the update it was somewhere around 3-5GB I can't remember, I didn't understand the reason why, but I chose to ignore it, the day I changed the screen for the 13 Pro Max the Bolt guy told me how his 11 Pro max screen also went blank for not reason, also a brand new Phone, then my Girlfriend told me about her coursemate 13 Pro Max same issue, the Guy that changed the screen said it's normal issue that it happens for "No reason" it just depends on how lucky you are, omor it was at that point I knew some really bad business practice was really going on, had to go to YouTube omor everyone complaining of same thing.

Re: My Macbook Screen Went Blank by john1101(m): 12:57pm On Jul 31, 2023
MountainView:

I bought the 13 Pro Max Brand New also the MacBook Pro

When I did the update I noticed the size of the update it was somewhere around 3-5GB I can't remember, I didn't understand the reason why, but I chose to ignore it, the day I changed the screen for the 13 Pro Max the Bolt guy told me how his 11 Pro max screen also went blank for not reason, also a brand new Phone, then my Girlfriend told me about her coursemate 13 Pro Max same issue, the Guy that changed the screen said it's normal issue that it happens for "No reason" it just depends on how lucky you are, omor it was at that point I knew some really bad business practice was really going on, had to go to YouTube omor everyone complaining of same thing.

lesson learnt next time dont update apple products. specifically the hardware

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Develop Application Using C# 2008 / Please How Do I Transform My Python Codes To A Cross-platform Mobile App??? / Let Us Make Matlab Programs And GUI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.