Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,625 members, 7,865,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:26 PM

I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre (59094 Views)

Falcons Player, Ashleigh Plumptre Joins Al-Ittihad In Saudi Arabia. / Ashleigh Plumptre Switches Nationality To Nigeria / Leicester City Ashleigh Plumptre Trained With Super Falcons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Tompson88: 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2023
Yea,but only first half,she improved and even blocked a goal scoring opportunity.
Ikaeniyan0:
The Australian player that was attacking from Ashleigh Plumptre position was just passing through her with ease
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by HitlerWasRight: 3:53pm On Jul 31, 2023
aariwa:
Clowns I guess she is now more Yoruba than Gbadebo Rhodes . I believe Ashley Plumptre is not a fool and will ask Gbadebo an original family owner of Lagos what those ronu idiots did to him

Osu or ohu ?
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by emperor863(m): 3:53pm On Jul 31, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Ashleigh Plumptre comes from a mixed heritage. Her father is of Nigerian descent, specifically from Lagos State, and belongs to the Yoruba tribe. Her mother is English.

‘’My grandfather from dad’s side is a Nigerian from Lagos state. He is of Yoruba descent. My younger sister Bayleigh, is called by Yoruba name, Bisi. She is a drummer.

Omoluabi, you're doing well.
From your character alone, we know that you are Yoruba.

I remember those days of growing up with family friends who are Plumptres , it's embarrassing seeing even otherwise educated folks struggle with the pronunciation of Lagos families surnames like Plumptre, Vaughan, Audiffren, Payne, Petgrave, Sawyerr, Bickerstheth etc and then ask if they are Nigerians.smh
Awon ti Ebute meta and Olowogbowo will understand wink Check my signature for free stuffs!

You forgot to add Willoughby, Egerton, Fernandez, Herman and co. Lagos, oh Lagos. A beauty to behold until the seventies when victims of self inflicted civil war started to arrive in droves to escape hunger.

Lagos has not remained the same since then.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by aariwa(m): 4:00pm On Jul 31, 2023
HitlerWasRight:

Osu or ohu ?
na you know the one you be afterall I don’t know the curse following you to be quoting people all over a faceless forum
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by aswani(m): 4:04pm On Jul 31, 2023
SpatialKing:
Yorubas will never accept you as their own or one of them...

If she ever contest for Lagos State governorship against Chinedu Gbadebo, na she go win, comfirm.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Realestatevixen: 4:44pm On Jul 31, 2023
Gdammiy:
Ur mama blood sharp wella
I don't think it's her Mom's blood alone. Looking at her, you'll know her father is half caste, too. That's why she's almost pure white. Her father's mother must be white, while the father is Nigerian. Little wonder she keeps emphasizing the fact that her grandfather is Nigerian from Lagos.

Modified: see picture of her dad. He is half caste.

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Ideegee(m): 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2023
I remember those days of growing up with family friends who are Plumptres , it's embarrassing seeing even otherwise educated folks struggle with the pronunciation of Lagos families names)

You are right Mr. Vaughan.
I had that problem when I first met you at Freedom Park, as I've always pronounced your name as (Vorgan) instead of Vahn.

But I learned it and quickly adapted.

Most people don't have as much problem pronouncing mine as they do with the spelling, writing judge, instead of George.

It is an excusable mistake,though, owing to English not being our mother's tongue.

Ire o.
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by HitlerWasRight: 5:33pm On Jul 31, 2023
aswani:

If she ever contest for Lagos State governorship against Chinedu Gbadebo, na she go win, comfirm.

Funny but true as fck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Sirbruno3000(m): 6:07pm On Jul 31, 2023
Me sef am single na... So u don't want me marry abi?
Quebec91:
Ashawo cheesy
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Sirbruno3000(m): 7:01pm On Jul 31, 2023
Why na.. Oooh
AfonjaScud:

Nope.
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by AfonjaPriest: 9:26pm On Jul 31, 2023
When she joins Labour party to vie for an elective post in the SadWaste region, the yorubad people will tell her she is not yorubad.
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by placeofallure(f): 9:53pm On Jul 31, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Ashleigh Plumptre comes from a mixed heritage. Her father is of Nigerian descent, specifically from Lagos State, and belongs to the Yoruba tribe. Her mother is English.

‘’My grandfather from dad’s side is a Nigerian from Lagos state. He is of Yoruba descent. My younger sister Bayleigh, is called by Yoruba name, Bisi. She is a drummer.

I remember those days of growing up with family friends who are Plumptres , it's embarrassing seeing even otherwise educated folks struggle with the pronunciation of Lagos families surnames like Plumptre, Vaughan, Audiffren, Payne, Petgrave, Sawyerr, Bickerstheth, Willoughby, Egerton,Boyle, Verissimo etc and then ask if they are Nigerians.smh
Awon ti Ebute meta and Olowogbowo will understand wink Check my signature for free stuffs!

Wickliffe, Savage, Palmer, Grillo, Whythe, Allen, Smith. I have some of them as friends growing up and now.
Ebute-Metta is a sweet place to grow up!

2 Likes

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by BabaRamota1980: 11:02pm On Jul 31, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

I remember those days of growing up with family friends who are Plumptres , it's embarrassing seeing even otherwise educated folks struggle with the pronunciation of Lagos families surnames like Plumptre, Vaughan, Audiffren, Payne, Petgrave, Sawyerr, Bickerstheth, Willoughby, Egerton,Boyle, Verissimo etc and then ask if they are Nigerians.smh

Once upon a time when having English/Portuguese name gave access to corridors of power, it was ok.

Nowadays, na Ogun, Ifa, Oya, Basorun, Balogun dey carry person enter power.

Ask GRV. Ask Bucknor.
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by BabaRamota1980: 11:05pm On Jul 31, 2023
AfonjaPriest:
When she joins Labour party to vie for an elective post in the SadWaste region, the yorubad people will tell her she is not yorubad.

It is a pride to have Yoruba identity. Just saying Im Yoruba is cheap. Prove it, adopt Yoruba name.
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by BabaRamota1980: 11:08pm On Jul 31, 2023
Ideegee:
I remember those days of growing up with family friends who are Plumptres , it's embarrassing seeing even otherwise educated folks struggle with the pronunciation of Lagos families names)

You are right Mr. Vaughan.
I had that problem when I first met you at Freedom Park, as I've always pronounced your name as (Vorgan) instead of Vahn.

But I learned it and quickly adapted.

Most people don't have as much problem pronouncing mine as they do with the spelling, writing judge, instead of George.

It is an excusable mistake,though, owing to English not being our mother's tongue.

Ire o.

There is no family in Lagos named Plumptre. None!

Tell me their compound in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Nefort: 11:40pm On Jul 31, 2023
Dotherightthing:
She could easily pass for white but a child always wants to belong to their father's side no matter what.

Is her father also Plumptre
She is a white woman abeg. She doesn't look a black person.
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 01, 2023
SpatialKing:
Yorubas will never accept you as their own or one of them...

The way Freeze is not accepted. Governor Adeleke was so rejected he was voted as Osun governor. I know the pain of rejecting your packaged Anambra fraud as Lagos governor is still burning in your soul.

1 Like

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by kelly72: 7:51am On Aug 01, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:

which tribe? And name these players or shut up forever.

You just saw one player and started making noise, when some people have even moved from playing and now making serious incursions into managing other countries' leagues. Go and check who Saudi Arabia hired recently to manage their league, which is now taking away superstars from Europe.

Before you lowlife primordial sentiments derail you again, be informed that we are all proud of the girls working hard in Australia to clean the image that treasury looters and certificate forgers have dented.

1 Like

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by obstead200(m): 12:27pm On Aug 01, 2023
kokorokoman:
you just want to sound "Mr knower" and ended up writing nonsense.
I had to go through the guy's post again and didn't see anywhere he said he's proud of the names. He was only sharing his experience with the names during his school days.
Una oversabi too much for this forum abeg.
he does not have to implicitly say he is proud of the names

But he directly implied in his speech that he was privileged to know families bearing such names. He even said it was embarrassing that pple question if those are Nigerian names.

He even questioned the education of Nigerians who couldn't pronounce the names right!!!

he is definitely proud of the (slave) names.

Read between the lines if u wish
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by DodadaKoKigbe: 3:16pm On Aug 01, 2023
kelly72:
Before you lowlife primordial sentiments derail you again, be informed that we are all proud of the girls working hard in Australia to clean the image that treasury looters and certificate forgers have dented.

Here is your claim:
kelly72:
Why won't they. There is a tribe in Nigeria, the number of their children playing for other countries can make 2 national times.So it's a good thing about Ashley we are proud of her..

No evidence. Una go explain tire.

Meanwhile, the Yorubas have Saka (representing England), Akanji (representing Austria), Folarin (representing USMNT), Adeyemi (representing Germany), David Alaba (representing Austria), Okiki Lawal (representing Austria) etc. And these are TOP FIRST CHOICE players not bench warmers.

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Favor99(m): 6:30am On Aug 02, 2023
Everyone accepts and embraces her as a Nigerian. No knock on the girl at all, I like her a lot, but she didn’t even identify or realize anything about Nigeria until a few years ago during the pandemic.

You have 1st generational Nigerian Americans that have a genuine love and strong affinity for Nigeria since their youth, and yet some Nigerians reject and snub them and tell them not to call themselves Nigerian. You’ll see here on Nairaland posts when you have a Nigerian American.

Some Oyinbos and whites(not this girl) will be determined to misunderstand and reject and be racist towards Nigerians, yet Nigerians warmly jump accept and embrace them always. Yet people that love you for who you are, you snub them. People that love you for who you are, you don’t have to act American for us, we love you who you are, yet you treat Nigerian Americans that way….smh
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Ajibade123(m): 11:54am On Aug 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Plumptres is a Nigerian/Yoruba name??
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by BlackAdam65: 5:06pm On Sep 01, 2023
Dotherightthing:
She could easily pass for white but a child always wants to belong to their father's side no matter what.

Is her father also Plumptre
if this is true then why don't biracials with white father's choose to identify as whites why do they always deny their fathers ethnicity
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Nobody: 4:32am On Sep 12, 2023
BlackAdam65:
if this is true then why don't biracials with white father's choose to identify as whites why do they always deny their fathers ethnicity
Biracials are white. The black gene is not dominant it’s a lie. We are the only people in the world with our type of genes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Brazil Vs Spain - Confederations Cup Final (3 - 0) On 30th June 2013 / Portugal Vs Morocco: World Cup (1 - 0) On 20 June, 2018 / N'golo Kante Drives A N9.6m Mini Cooper S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.