Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah (21240 Views)

Joe Abah Cautions Tinubu Against Appointing FCT Indigene As Minister Of FCT / Ministerial List: Joe Abah Reacts As He Didn’t Make Buhari’s List / Onnoghen Vs FG: Dr. Joe Abah Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by seunmsg(m): 1:52pm On Aug 01, 2023
Here are my thoughts on President Tinubu’s speech on the economy. I will respond to each paragraph, so you would need to reference the full speech to follow my thoughts:

1. It is good that he came out to explain the reasons behind the policy measures.

2. It is good that he chose to talk in simple terms without economic jargon.

3. I agree with the removal of fuel subsidy although I am not opposed to subsidy per se. It could have been possible to tackle the fraud in the system, and to ensure that only the poor benefit. This will rely on a credible and comprehensive database of the poor, with full knowledge of each Nigerian’s income. Because since that cannot happen overnight, it is better to first stop the country from bleeding $16 billion every year on subsidy that we cannot afford.

4. I agree subject to my views on point 3, above.

5. I agree.

6. I feel that the preceding administration could have acted sooner. I agree that subsidy was initially well-intentioned but has become a millstone on our necks.

7. I agree that the multiple exchange rates gave a few people an unfair advantage.

8. I agree.

9. Understood

10. I agree

11. The hardship on the streets is clear.

12. Good to acknowledge that these are only immediate steps. Good to focus on businesses, the working class and the poorest.

13. Ok but there is a need for speed with these.

14. Suspension and deferred commencement of some taxes will benefit business. I haven’t yet seen the Executive Orders. I will look for them.

15. Funding 75 enterprises with N1 billion each at 9% interest for 60 months is an interesting idea. How the 75 enterprises are selected will be key for the credibility of the initiative, as will how their progress is tracked and reported (including how they are paying back the loan).

16. It is a clear policy choice to energise MSMEs. Some prefer to energise big businesses in the expectation that MSMEs will benefit collaterally by supplying them components. There is no one answer. Either is a policy choice with which reasonable people can agree or disagree.

17. I am glad that the N50 billion grant is to nano businesses and that it is conditional. I am also glad that the touted N8,000 to 12 million households, using the National Social Register, for 6 months doesn’t appear to be happening anymore. As always, how the nano businesses are selected will be key for credibility, as will a report on how they are meeting the conditions attached to the grant.

18. Ditto

19. I look forward to details about efforts to reduce food prices.

20. Release of grains is good. Again, how they will be distributed is important.

21. Ditto

22. Clear policy choice.

23. I look forward to seeing the approach agreed on.

24. Noted

25. It would be good to ensure that this new Infrastructure Support Fund is focused on basic education and primary health, not another state university or “ultramodern hospital.”

26. Using the fund to improve rural access roads is also good.

27. CNG buses are better than diesel or petrol. The provision will benefit transporters.

28. Same comment on how beneficiaries will be chosen. It will be good to think about how the poor will pay to ride in them.

29. Great to see that the minimum wage is being reviewed. It is important to find ways to ensure that the states and businesses are able to comply.

30. Noted

31. I agree

32. We still need to find ways to cushion the effects on the poorest.

33. Noted

34. I hope so too.

35. How the savings from subsidy removal is accounted for is key.

36. I look forward to the details.

37. Noted

38. Interesting. The ‘how’ will be interesting to see.

39. I hope so.

40. Noted

41. Thank you too and may God bless Nigeria.

https://twitter.com/drjoeabah/status/1686123165838176256?s=46

102 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by seunmsg(m): 1:53pm On Aug 01, 2023
This is the opinion of most sensible people as well.

176 Likes 18 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Taylor90: 1:56pm On Aug 01, 2023
All these ones no concern me

My own na make Tinubu remove mouth for Niger republic

Because if war happens between Niger and Nigeria heaven knows I’ll support Niger

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Taylor90: 1:57pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:

Allow sensible people to speak for themselves

Nothing concern you

121 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by helinues: 1:57pm On Aug 01, 2023
Toh

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by DatNiggaDaz: 1:58pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:
When you posted this fake propaganda, did you know what the word "sensible" means

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by DatNiggaDaz: 2:00pm On Aug 01, 2023
Taylor90:

Nothing concern you

No mind am. See am using sensible in the same sentence

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Kaiser20: 2:07pm On Aug 01, 2023
My thoughts on speech Tinubu's speech, Tinubu like other previous corrupt Nigerian leaders has lost the trust of Nigerians.
All of Tinubu's policies and economic recovery plans lack integrity, just take it as mere rhetoric.
When presidents and leaders lack the character of leadership the citizens will not take them seriously

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by b3llo(m): 2:11pm On Aug 01, 2023
Ok...

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by CodeTemplar: 2:13pm On Aug 01, 2023
Implementation is 99% of governance.

If anti-corrption crusade was alive subsidy will be here today.

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by richidinho(m): 2:14pm On Aug 01, 2023
Lolz...a man that removed subsidy that benefits the poor was seen transferring N110 bn to 469 people in the parliament.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by wittywriter: 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2023
His opinion.
Reality stares at Nigeria!

Wittyness

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by BoldBrainz(m): 2:41pm On Aug 01, 2023
Taylor90:

Nothing concern you

Darn.. grin grin!

Omoh, you're brutal.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Anambra1stPikin: 2:47pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:
Here are my thoughts on President Tinubu’s speech on the economy. I will respond to each paragraph, so you would need to reference the full speech to follow my thoughts:
1. It is good that he came out to explain the reasons behind the policy measures.
2. It is good that he chose to talk in simple terms without economic jargon.
3. I agree with the removal of fuel subsidy although I am not opposed to subsidy per se. It could have been possible to tackle the fraud in the system, and to ensure that only the poor benefit. This will rely on a credible and comprehensive database of the poor, with full knowledge of each Nigerian’s income. Because since that cannot happen overnight, it is better to first stop the country from bleeding $16 billion every year on subsidy that we cannot afford.
4. I agree subject to my views on point 3, above.
5. I agree.
6. I feel that the preceding administration could have acted sooner. I agree that subsidy was initially well-intentioned but has become a millstone on our necks.
7. I agree that the multiple exchange rates gave a few people an unfair advantage.
8. I agree.
9. Understood
10. I agree
11. The hardship on the streets is clear.
12. Good to acknowledge that these are only immediate steps. Good to focus on businesses, the working class and the poorest.
13. Ok but there is a need for speed with these.
14. Suspension and deferred commencement of some taxes will benefit business. I haven’t yet seen the Executive Orders. I will look for them.
15. Funding 75 enterprises with N1 billion each at 9% interest for 60 months is an interesting idea. How the 75 enterprises are selected will be key for the credibility of the initiative, as will how their progress is tracked and reported (including how they are paying back the loan).
16. It is a clear policy choice to energise MSMEs. Some prefer to energise big businesses in the expectation that MSMEs will benefit collaterally by supplying them components. There is no one answer. Either is a policy choice with which reasonable people can agree or disagree.
17. I am glad that the N50 billion grant is to nano businesses and that it is conditional. I am also glad that the touted N8,000 to 12 million households, using the National Social Register, for 6 months doesn’t appear to be happening anymore. As always, how the nano businesses are selected will be key for credibility, as will a report on how they are meeting the conditions attached to the grant.
18. Ditto
19. I look forward to details about efforts to reduce food prices.
20. Release of grains is good. Again, how they will be distributed is important.
21. Ditto
22. Clear policy choice.
23. I look forward to seeing the approach agreed on.
24. Noted
25. It would be good to ensure that this new Infrastructure Support Fund is focused on basic education and primary health, not another state university or “ultramodern hospital.”
26. Using the fund to improve rural access roads is also good.
27. CNG buses are better than diesel or petrol. The provision will benefit transporters.
28. Same comment on how beneficiaries will be chosen. It will be good to think about how the poor will pay to ride in them.
29. Great to see that the minimum wage is being reviewed. It is important to find ways to ensure that the states and businesses are able to comply.
30. Noted
31. I agree
32. We still need to find ways to cushion the effects on the poorest.
33. Noted
34. I hope so too.
35. How the savings from subsidy removal is accounted for is key.
36. I look forward to the details.
37. Noted
38. Interesting. The ‘how’ will be interesting to see.
39. I hope so.
40. Noted
41. Thank you too and may God bless Nigeria.

https://twitter.com/drjoeabah/status/1686123165838176256?s=46

The more you look the less you see that's the regime we find ourselves, regime of propaganda, Please who control highest shares in Oando PLC One of the major companies that benefited from Subsidy
Many are suffering from low memories to remember

10 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by greatiyk4u(m): 2:48pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:

Opinion of only Tinubu supporters

Here is my opinion

This is the worst state of the nation address I have heard.

1. We are only told about how people stole Nigeria dry, but we're never told what will happen to them.

2. You know we are suffering under your administration, which means we were better off under those that were stealing the money under the subsidy regime.

3. There is so much about sharing money proposal without knowing how we are going to get better. Hmmm inflation looms with so much money in circulation

4. Nothing was said about the refineries, so what is the hope that the fuel is going down anytime soon or are we waiting for Dangote as our saviour?

5. So much rhetoric but nothing was said about public power or other sources of energy. No matter the amount of money you give to SMSEs if the operating environment with high energy consumption remains high, he may likely fail

6. Our roads are death traps nothing was said about its urgency.

7. This Government seems set to distribute money for their cronies using different schemes.

8. I see nothing new with other past administrations when it comes to bogus promises of helping farmers , increasing salaries of civil servants, and supporting SMSEs

9. Forex harmonisation is good but eventually it looks like we played into the world bank and IMF to devalue our currency. Don't we know those speculating the naira?

10. This administration seems not ready to deal with corruption headlong instead everything has been pushed to the citizens, especially to the poor Nigerians.

20 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by EmperorCaesar(m): 2:50pm On Aug 01, 2023
This is very constructive and reasonable

Watch Obi-diots come here to call him names instead of them to counter his opinion with superior logic

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Anambra1stPikin: 2:52pm On Aug 01, 2023
EmperorCaesar:
This is very constructive and reasonable

Watch Obi-diots come here to call him names instead of them to counter his opinion with superior logic
Companies that benefited from fuel Subsidy

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Beremx(f): 2:52pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:
If only you were sensible as the author of your post because you seem to lack empathy on the plights of suffering Nigerians. If you want to support Tinubu, do that with your senses

10 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by EmperorCaesar(m): 3:07pm On Aug 01, 2023
Taylor90:

Nothing concern you

According to Socrates, He said "He that does not know, and that does not know that he does not know, is the greatest of fools"

So that u choose to think you're more sensible than him, Just proves Socrates right

Except you're greater than Socrate, u do not know more than he ever did, not one person from your Rivers state hole is/was half as bright as his toes cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Obi-diots have identical reasoning, The brightest one died in June 2022

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by EmperorCaesar(m): 3:09pm On Aug 01, 2023
Beremx:
If only you were sensible as the author of your post because you seem to lack empathy on the plights of suffering Nigerians. If you want to support Tinubu, do that with your senses

According to Socrates, He said "He that knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is the greatest fool"

So that u choose to think you're more sensible than him, Just proves socrates right

Except you're greater than Socrate, u do not know more than he ever did, not one person from your SE muddy region ever did cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by seunmsg(m): 3:11pm On Aug 01, 2023
Taylor90:

Nothing concern you

Dr Joe Abah is one of them and he has spoken. Now, go to the thread meant for people who are not sensible to wail as usual.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Racoon(m): 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2023
Tinubu’s turned out to be a worst economic illiterate than Buhari despite that he claimed to have graduated with a first class from Accountancy from Chicago State University.

Just free floating the naira anyhow thereby leading to depreciation in it value. How can someone said he said over #1T yet borrowed #300B to fund palliatives?

6 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by bhella10: 3:19pm On Aug 01, 2023
Wailers should be allowed to wail after all it's their rights. May Asiwaju succeed. God bless Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by seunmsg(m): 3:19pm On Aug 01, 2023
Beremx:

This is not your usual ipob wailing and attack thread. If you have nothing sensible to say other than attack the personality of the OP as usual, you can check the next thread meant for characters like you.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by dragunov: 3:23pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:

Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg.😉 Awo fx45.😜 Cunning man die, cunning man bury am.😝😝😝😝

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by EmperorCaesar(m): 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2023
To be honest, PBAT looks like someone with a specific plan
Th fact that he even touched agriculture, Transportation and even creation of more MSME shows his Special Advisers actually thought this through
We are on the right track

As usual, Obi-diots, lets come and wail as usual, this is another cause of Heartbreak cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by greatiyk4u(m): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2023
EmperorCaesar:
To be honest, PBAT looks like someone with a specific plan
Th fact that he even touched agriculture, Transportation and even creation of more MSME shows his Special Advisers actually thought this through
We are on the right track

As usual, Obi-diots, lets come and wail as usual, this is another cause of Heartbreak cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Looks like is an uncertainty statement

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by EmperorCaesar(m): 3:41pm On Aug 01, 2023
greatiyk4u:

Looks like is an uncertainty statement

Nah..
U cant accurately predict an event that hasnt happened...We can only base future predictions on probabilities but the percentage are higher depending on the feasibility

Thats how its done in science, statistical analysis and Philosophy. So My initial statement was right

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by wegevv: 3:47pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:

I know APC people have to walk on eggshells when talking about PBAT's incompetent predecessor but you should know that what they are trying to say is:

1. I agree that PMB was a complete and monumental failure.

Hope this helps ❤️
Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by waledeji(m): 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2023
Taylor90:

Nothing concern you

stop talking when sensible people are discussing

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by dragunov: 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2023
seunmsg:

This is not your usual ipob wailing and attack thread. If you have nothing sensible to say other than attack the personality of the OP as usual, you can check the next thread meant for characters like you.
Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg 😆 😆😝😜😜
Re: My Thoughts On President Tinubu’s Speech On The Economy - Dr Joe Abah by Heroicvic(m): 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2023
V

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 Boys Arrested In Connection With Bomb Explosion In Adamawa / Top Police Brass Tried To Shield Abba Kyari - Daily Trust / Buhari: APC Lucky To Have Tinubu As Presidential Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.