Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger (414 Views)

Military seizes power in Gabon / Taliban Marks Two Years Since Return To Power In Afghanistan (Photos) / Vassily Nebenzia: Russia Is Against The Junta That Is In Power In Kiyv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by panafrican(m): 10:08am On Aug 05, 2023
Niger could build its own dams and make Nigeria's dams become useless. In the end, Nigeria will depend on Niger to get water and electricity.
Follow the News On Liberty Radio, Abuja Nigeria

Since gaining its independence, Nigeria and the Niger Republic have maintained very close bilateral ties. I chuckled when I read the report that Nigeria had turned off power to the Niger Republic. We tend to forget that the Niger River, which supplies our energy, also runs through the Niger Republic.
And according to the current deal, the Niger Republic will not dam the river so that Nigeria can have electricity. All of our dams, including the “Kainji” and “Jebba” dams, will be useless if that nation decides to cut off water supplies by constructing a dam along the River Niger

https://www.facebook.com/LibertyRadioFM/posts/pfbid0dTHbUAv9dKjtZz7RQfdGJk2eGNhtzzGcWAStWmhYVnTeCi5az3rwC14Y1zGbLQ2kl

Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by SAMUEL1947: 10:15am On Aug 05, 2023
Where is the power...make we hear word jor...we have ASA Dam in ILORIN, alot of dams in Nigeria
Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by Botragelad: 10:31am On Aug 05, 2023
It's not like they(Niger) can make Nigeria useless by building a dam. Nigeria is a big and powerful country with a lot of resources and potential. Niger is a small and poor country that depends on Nigeria for many things. Let me break it down for you.

First of all, Niger's dam is not even on the main stream of the river Niger, but on a tributary called the Sirba. It's called the Kandadji Dam, and it's supposed to generate electricity and irrigate land for agriculture .
It's not going to affect the flow of the river Niger much, because it's only a small part of the basin. Nigeria has bigger dams on the river Niger, like the Kainji Dam and the Jebba Dam, that produce more power and water for Nigeria. Nigeria also has other sources of energy, like oil and gas, that Niger doesn't have.

Secondly, Niger is benefitting from Nigeria more than Nigeria is benefitting from Niger. Nigeria also hosts many refugees and migrants from Niger who flee from poverty and conflict.
So, Nigeria can survive without Niger's dam or whatever you are whining about.

1 Like

Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by Miravik900(m): 11:38am On Aug 05, 2023
Botragelad:
It's not like they(Niger) can make Nigeria useless by building a dam. Nigeria is a big and powerful country with a lot of resources and potential. Niger is a small and poor country that depends on Nigeria for many things. Let me break it down for you.

First of all, Niger's dam is not even on the main stream of the river Niger, but on a tributary called the Sirba. It's called the Kandadji Dam, and it's supposed to generate electricity and irrigate land for agriculture .
It's not going to affect the flow of the river Niger much, because it's only a small part of the basin. Nigeria has bigger dams on the river Niger, like the Kainji Dam and the Jebba Dam, that produce more power and water for Nigeria. Nigeria also has other sources of energy, like oil and gas, that Niger doesn't have.

Secondly, Niger is benefitting from Nigeria more than Nigeria is benefitting from Niger. Nigeria also hosts many refugees and migrants from Niger who flee from poverty and conflict.

My guy where are you from? I can presume you are white?

2 Likes

Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by Svlla: 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2023
Many of you failed to read to understand.

Like i said a few days back when i heard the news of power cut to Niger. Niger's retaliatory measures will affect the Nigerian power generating capacity. It will be unwise for Nigeria to threaten Niger with Power cut has these has never happened before.

The Damming of the Niger will reduce the water Level and make our dams useless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by OmoGomesIlorin: 3:08pm On Aug 05, 2023
Svlla:
Many of you failed to read to understand.

Like i said a few days back when i heard the news of power cut to Niger. Niger's retaliatory measures will affect the Nigerian power generating capacity. It will be unwise for Nigeria to threaten Niger with Power cut has these has never happened before.

The Damming of the Niger will reduce the water Level and make our dams useless

Blocking a river will take a lot of months to complete and it is financial burden. Niger doesn't have that kind of money to block River Niger.
And if they want to waste their money, where will there redirect the water to go when the dam overflow.

Go and read what caused friction between Ethiopia and Egypt, you will know that Nigeria will do same to Neejay

1 Like

Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by ken6488(m): 3:58pm On Aug 05, 2023
Botragelad:

Nigeria Will not invade Niger Bleep off war lover this is not Ukraine
Re: Dams Used To Generate Power In Nigeria All Depend On The River Niger by fserpent: 5:14pm On Aug 05, 2023
panafrican:
Niger could build its own dams and make Nigeria's dams become useless. In the end, Nigeria will depend on Niger to get water and electricity.
Follow the News On Liberty Radio, Abuja Nigeria
If Niger can cough up enough money to build a decent dam over the Niger, The whole world will add them to the G8. You know the number of years and innovation and billions of dollars it takes to build a dam? Where will they channel the flood to? They are landlocked.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Make Money Online Easily / Saudi Arabia Forms Islamic Counterterrorism Coalition / Breaking News: Asia Welcomes Year 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.