Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,117 members, 7,860,032 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:54 AM

Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians (211 Views)

Buhari Extends Tenure Of Isah Jere (NIS Boss) Despite Attaining Retirement Age / Afe Babalola: "Extend Retirement Age Of Supreme Court Justices To 100 Years" / Sani Omolori To Spend Five More Years As NASS Clerk After Retirement Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by Validated: 1:25pm On Aug 06, 2023
In public service and even in private service retirement age ranges from 50 to 60 years or 35 years of service, whichever comes earlier.

In the military and armed forces, it is even worse. You could be retired at 40 because s new government does not like you or your tribe is more in service.

While we at it, politicians and very aged people still find themselves in the Senate, House of Rep, ministers, etc.

Why do we not have retirement age for our political class? This is the more reason we keep recycling same people. Someone was a minister 26 years ago, he became governor for eight years, then back to minister. Meanwhile in all of these years, our economy is in shambles, Nigerians are worse off.

It is very disturbing to have those who were elected or appointed to political offices in 1999 still there. Then we ask civil servants of directorate levels to retire after 8 years.

For goodness sake, politics is a career to some people, same as army is a career for others. We need to review our constitution to either unify retirement age or place a ceiling on politicians.

For me, anyone over 65 years should retire because they have nothing else to offer. This should apply to both politicians; military, judges, civil servants, political appointees, etc.

They can go and farm or do something else. Retire to their villages and become Oba, Obi, emirs or even go and be playing Golf to allow younger brains to move Nigeria forward.

Tell me, who in our Senate can tell anything about AI? Which of our ministers designate have presented any paper on the 21st century economic initiatives. I listened to the so called screening and all I hear is history and nothing like I developed this or I created this. You hear some say, "we" as if the we are coming to lead the ministries. In saner clmes they present their achievements in STAR (Situation, Target, Action and Results) format. Here you hear things like I was former this and that. What was the state when you got there, what did you improve, what are the results? Nothing!

You can imagine going for an interview to lead a bank and the interviewer just say, oh, you were once a banker; take a bow , then the old man with walking aid goes and be scoring in the ministry.
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by CodeTemplar: 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2023
Ancestors don't quit.
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by helinues: 1:53pm On Aug 06, 2023
shocked

Trump and Biden must be ayange's

Eish
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by Validated: 2:01pm On Aug 06, 2023
helinues:
shocked

Trump and Biden must be ayange's

Eish

Unfortunately, in the US, Trump and Biden CANNOT retire vibrant military officers or even civil servant because they have been in office for 8 years. Again, why do you like to pick and chose? Do you always have to follow bad example?
Why have you not seen any good examples in Canada, UK and France where you lot run to?

3 Likes

Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by helinues: 2:03pm On Aug 06, 2023
Validated:

Unfortunately, in the US, Trump and Biden CANNOT retire vibrant military officers or even civil servant because they have been in office for 8 years. Again, why do you like to pick and chose? Do have to always follow bad example?
Why have not seen any good examples in Canada, UK and France where you lot run to?

Just because UK , Canada, France all have young president dont mean that there are no older politicians in their state assemblies.

Some of you Sha like to dey argue for arguing sake
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by Godfullsam(m): 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2023
The OP is making sense.

It is high time we put pressures on the senate to set retirement age for polithiefians the same way we have retirement age for civil servants, military officers etc.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
It will help to put an end to these endless of old, corrupt and clueless polithiefians.

If there is retirement age for politicians, people like Buhari, tinubu, Abdullahi Adamu, ganduje etc will not find their ways to the corridor of power and we won't find ourselves in this current situation.
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by Validated: 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2023
helinues:

Just because UK , Canada, France all have young president dont mean that there are no older politicians in their state assemblies.

Some of you Sha like to dey argue for arguing sake

Please, point me to one. In Canada, the leaders of all political parties are young men. Senators are not elected and are only advisory. Please, point to one and not rhetoric.
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by helinues: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2023
Validated:

Please, point me to one. In Canada, the leaders of all political parties are young men. Senators are not elected and are only advisory. Please, point to one and not rhetoric.

Anne Cools, did this name ring a bell??
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by ecolime(m): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2023
You have a great point

What age would be ideal for Politicians? 60?
Re: Time To Fix Retirement Age For Our Politicians by Sorrynovex: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2023
helinues:

Anne Cools, did this name ring a bell??

Akuya find work

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Barrister Uju Kennedy-ohanenye's Week-long Activities As Minister Of Women's Aff / Legal Showdown: Deji Adeyanju Takes On Hannatu Musawa Over Nysc-cabinet Position / One Of The Conditions For Easterner To Rule Nigeria In The Nearest Future.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.