Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,408 members, 7,826,579 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? (48778 Views)

At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? / Photos Of 6 Girls Who Lost Their Parents Under 1 Year / Brother & Sister Recreate Childhood Photos For Their Parents’ 30th Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by JOSEPH4334: 10:13pm On Aug 07, 2023
WHY ?
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Fearyourcreator: 12:45am On Aug 08, 2023
taylor88:
City friends validation

Same thing happens during traditional wedding when you’re traveling from city to village with your friends

That’s the country we have found ourselves

Na why I like Muslim burial no necessary dramas

When my Dad died I was crying double double not because he’s dead but because of what’s ahead as a chief in Rivers State and I know what’s required

Someone who lost his parents is supposed to gain supports and sympathizers rather you’ll be into debt and have bills ahead
Na person wey wan put himself for debt na
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by limeta(f): 2:58am On Aug 08, 2023
Nazgul:

Why are you directing your anger towards me, did I tell you that my parents are living in an uncompleted building and I'm waiting for them to die before renovating it?

I only answered the question that was asked, cos it's common with most average and below average Igbos.

And would you blame them, most of them are struggling to cater for their families in the city, so renovating a property they might not visit for years might be a waste of resources to the considering how the economy is.

If you want to singlehandedly renovate your parents house, no one is stopping you. But passing judgement on others for not doing so without knowing if they can afford to do it is very wrong. Besides as a parent, it's myopic for your retirement plan to be your children. Cos they too might have their own responsibilities that's weighing them down.

Shut up and answer the question
It was a general statement you made it igbo thing so answer. Mumu man no wonder they call you chest beater .

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by jackaustin631: 5:54am On Aug 08, 2023
SamWales:
Hey guys, I've been wondering, why is it that most people don't renovate their house in the village till their old parents are dead?

Is not like they don't have the money to do this welding atlanta, but they will rather wait till the old parents drop dead. Immediately, they will start rebuilding the house trying to complete a 1 month construction project in just 1 week before performing the burial.

Is it that the old parents doesn't merit a good house? Apart from impressing the guests that will attend the burial, do you know of any other reason why people do this?
What is your opinion?
The practice you're describing, where people renovate or rebuild their parents' house only after their parents have passed away, can have various cultural, psychological, and practical reasons behind it. It's important to note that these reasons can vary widely based on the cultural context, individual circumstances, and personal beliefs of the people involved. Here are some potential explanations:

Respect for Tradition: In some cultures, there might be a tradition or belief that it's disrespectful to make major changes to the family home while the older generation is still alive. Renovating the house after their passing might be seen as a way to honor their memory without disrespecting their wishes.

Superstitions or Beliefs: Certain cultures hold beliefs that making major changes to the family home while older family members are alive could bring bad luck or negative consequences. This belief might drive the decision to delay renovations until after their passing.

Practical Considerations: Renovating or rebuilding a house can be a significant financial and time-consuming endeavor. Some families might prefer to wait until they have the time and resources available to complete the project without causing disruptions to their parents' lives.

Emotional Attachment: There could be an emotional attachment to the family home as it is, especially for the older generation. Some people might want to preserve the memories associated with the original house until their parents are no longer there to experience the change.

Focus on Care: In some cases, families might prioritize taking care of their elderly parents' needs and well-being during their final years. Renovating a house can be disruptive, and families may not want to subject their parents to the stress of construction.

Respect for Parental Opinions: Some individuals may value their parents' opinions and preferences and may not want to make changes to the house without their input. Waiting until they pass away might be a way to respect their decisions.

Financial Planning: Renovations can be costly, and families might want to ensure that they have the financial stability to complete the project without causing financial strain on themselves or their parents.

Cultural Significance: In some cultures, the family home holds deep cultural significance, and making changes to it might require careful consideration and respect for tradition.

It's important to approach this practice with an understanding of cultural diversity and individual circumstances. Different cultures and families have their own unique ways of handling matters like home renovations and care for elderly family members. It's not necessarily about whether the older parents "merit" a good house, but rather a complex interplay of cultural norms, practical considerations, emotional ties, and personal beliefs.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by blaquemyc: 8:04am On Aug 08, 2023
Mom007:

Its 'I too know' that is doing you Mr man. [b]We[\b] know your type very well. You attack everyone that has anything contrary to what you want to hear but I maintain my point, while i am by no means advocating that ones parents should be left to rot in squalor in a village somewhere,there is more to quality of life than fancy houses.
who are the "we" you're referring to, are you a LEGION?
If you check the post I quoted, the poster used the term "disgraceful for people to see the kinda house the parents lived in" hence my response. But you come carry the matter for head like hawker. Are you feeling quilty or na your alternate be dat?
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by maramara: 10:29am On Aug 08, 2023
Its actually priority, money is never enough for any project but priority and demands determine which to engage
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by obrian888: 11:28am On Aug 08, 2023
blaquemyc:
But it's not disgraceful for their parents to live in a house looking like something that barely made it out of the Biafran war until their death right?

May God bless you richly good for this comment, may all who are involved in this shabby character change after reading the above comment
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by pocohantas(f): 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2023
Nazgul:

Why are you directing your anger towards me, did I tell you that my parents are living in an uncompleted building and I'm waiting for them to die before renovating it?

I only answered the question that was asked, cos it's common with most average and below average Igbos.

And would you blame them, most of them are struggling to cater for their families in the city, so renovating a property they might not visit for years might be a waste of resources to the considering how the economy is.

If you want to singlehandedly renovate your parents house, no one is stopping you. But passing judgement on others for not doing so without knowing if they can afford to do it is very wrong. Besides as a parent, it's myopic for your retirement plan to be your children. Cos they too might have their own responsibilities that's weighing them down.

grin grin grin
This is why I divert the data for work to NL.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Nazgul: 5:42pm On Aug 08, 2023
pocohantas:

grin grin grin
This is why I divert the data for work to NL.
Lol... sometimes exchanging words with people can be brain draining. You're trying to explain something, someone would carry his depression and dump on you.

I don taya. 😒
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Zedoo(m): 9:54pm On Aug 08, 2023
Contrary to most of the comments most Igbo fathers will die before they allow you alter their plans no matter how rich you might be as a child and you might send the money for the renovation and still hear endless stories on why it wasn’t done.
Therefore you might have to wait until their death to do the needful.

“Ego”. Same reason why most don’t upgrade their business and it dies when they die too.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Xinjin: 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2023
Old people behave weird sometimes. They may be the one to refuse the renovation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

She Forgive Her Rapist But Cannot Forgive Her Husband. / Delta Man Cries Out For Help Over Wife Allegedly Assaulting Him Repeatedly / Ebhohimen Innocent Lists His 2018 Achievements, To Inspire Others (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.