Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,003 members, 7,852,415 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:48 PM

Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? (338 Views)

How Much Is Petrol Sold In Your Area? / How Much Is Petrol In Your Area? / Buhari: It Makes No Sense For Oil To Be Cheaper In Nigeria Than Saudi Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by CodeTemplar: 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2023
Compared to other countries not subsidizing petrol, Nigeria has one of the cheapest petrol price range.

Is it the NNPCL effect little profit margin or the exchange rates suppression to make naira look stronger the cause? I suspect the latter is the reason for lower petrol prices. What do you guys think?

Here is a link to petrol prices in countries around the world.
And here is another for diesel prices in countries

Another chart from www.nairaland.com/attachments/15818817_priceofpetrolacrosstheworldinnairajuly2022_jpeg751eeeb059ff8f6d770506892b512aaa

Ours is lower and it points to the two possible sources.
One is I&E forex rates. It appears lower than where it should be because a systemic rejection of certain demands is leading to lower demand there(I&E) and thus lower rates. This is making any import going through that window lower in price(petrol inclusive).

Reason two: the NNPCL being govt owned, the major importer of petrol and not wanting to squeeze Nigerians, is maintaining a very low profit margin.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by lopatep: 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2023
Any one who compares country

should also be ready to compare people

Bmd
Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by suckmedownthere(f): 12:27pm On Aug 12, 2023
Petrol prices as the relative comparison to the cost and standard of living in different countries in the world should be a better research..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by AwokenVawulence: 12:27pm On Aug 12, 2023
A v
Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by CodeTemplar: 12:37pm On Aug 12, 2023
suckmedownthere:
Petrol prices as the relative comparison to the cost and standard of living in different countries in the world should be a better research..
the target here is to see the reason for lower cost of petrol compared to other countries with a deregulated pricing system.
Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by sleek214(m): 12:39pm On Aug 12, 2023
Because FG is still paying subsidy. Once subsidy is fully removed, the price of petrol in Nigeria will be higher. Imagine we are selling cheaper than Belgium where we buy from. You as a retailer can not sell cheaper from the wholesaler you buy from. Secondly it is cheaper because we import substandard fuel that burns faster.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by NzogbuNzogbu: 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2023
Why are we even the producers of petrol sef

I know very soon it would change to Nigerians are the only ones not paying to breathe

My Yoruba friend, I wonder why you didn't say Nigeria petrol was cheap when gej was president at #65 instead of tinubu apc fighting him

1 Like

Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by sleek214(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2023
lopatep:

Bmd
Dumb answer
Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Seefinish: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2023
lopatep:

Bmd
leadership and standard of living

1 Like

Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by lopatep: 4:01pm On Aug 12, 2023
sleek214:

Dumb answer

From a.. Moro_
Re: Why Is Petrol Relatively Cheaper In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by CodeTemplar: 5:35pm On Aug 13, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
Why are we even the producers of petrol sef

I know very soon it would change to Nigerians are the only ones not paying to breathe

My Yoruba friend, I wonder why you didn't say Nigeria petrol was cheap when gej was president at #65 instead of tinubu apc fighting him
gbegiri and akpu gobbling tribal legend, under gej, it was subsidized and so the comparison would have been wrong. Now, it isn't.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Meet Taylor90: The Nairalander Holding The Fort For Obidients / Why Every Filling Station Has Currently Tampered With Fuel Price And Guages / Apapa Seeking To Jeopardize Peter Obi's Victory At Tribunal - Labour Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.