Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,646 members, 7,816,655 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom (1751 Views)

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? / To Transfer Pictures From Computer To Digital Camera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom by buzugee(m): 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2011
all help will be appreciated.
Re: Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 12, 2011
Some Programs do not need installation, especially small sized programs, so for these you can transfer easily.
But for Larger Programs, it will work only if you can find its relevant entry in the system registry, export or copy it to the other system, and key it in. Also you need to identify the executable file as copied shortcuts will not work unless they are placed in the exact same location with exact naming.  on the original system, right click the program shortcut, click properties and click find target, to find the linked executable file.

For you to do this you need to know how to edit windows registry.
To view you registry, run regedit on command line.
But mind you, that accidentally changing entries in your registry can make some programs not to function or even create erratic problems for your OS.

Programs that are highly protected from copyright might have registry features that prevent registry keys copied from one system from working in another one.
Re: Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom by dellnet: 4:53pm On Oct 12, 2011
please don't "de-stablize" your operating system by editing your registry.
Re: Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom by buzugee(m): 7:03pm On Oct 12, 2011
thanks guys. i really appreciate your time and effort. TURNS OUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE WHEN I ENQUIRED FROM A COMPUTER FIXING SHOP. THE GUY EXPLAINED IT EXACTLY HOW KENGALI EXPLAINED IT.
Re: Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom by GoodMuyis(m): 3:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
IMPOSSIBLE

Try it first and see if it can work, do as @KenGali as told you, try and run the program in the second pc if it complains of a missing file go into :/windows or :/windows/system32 folder anyone of them that has it. try copy and paste from PC A to PC B,i have don this several times and it work, But MS OFFICE is very Stubborn like its developer.
I haven't try Video or Augio edit program though but some may work as @KenGali as Said or as i told you or applying both.

OPs It just came to my Mind search google for Application Mover

Or try to Ghost your Windows Partition and restore to the New PC

(1) (Reply)

Can I Get A Good Laptop For 20k To 25k In Lagos? / Where Can I Get A Fearly Used Laptop In Abuja / Can The LAN Base Switches Upgraded To IP Base? If Yes, What Would Be The Procedu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.