Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,194 members, 7,957,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:56 PM

Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? (6417 Views)

How To Install Windows On Free Dos Hp Laptop / Can I Transfer A Program From One Computer To The Next If I Have Lost The Cd-rom / Dos And Don'ts Of This Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by shinzoabe: 4:24pm On Oct 01, 2007
Hi everyone!

I'm actually new to this forum and I'm having this problem: I installed a program [ArchiCAD] for one of my clients. However, I could not install the program fully, because the CD was bad [sort of].

Now, my problem is to uninstall the program which I installed with my own hand. I tried using Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel to try removing the software, but it cannot remove it.

A friend told me that DOS can do it, but he does not know how to use DOS to remove a program. He said that someone told him that.

Please, if there is anybody who can remove a program from a computer using DOS, or any other better method, please let me know.

My client needs his PC repaired in a short time. This ArchiCAD is the only thing stopping me from doing that.

SHINZO ABE
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by topeteadr(m): 10:22pm On Oct 01, 2007
Go to the folder where the software was installed in there you should see install or scan for virus on your system.
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by topeteadr(m): 10:24pm On Oct 01, 2007
In the folder where the software is being installed there would be an icon with the word uninstall just click on it and that should do the trick
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by nawa1(m): 9:52am On Oct 02, 2007
if the above suggestion doesn't work, try these: locate the folder of the installed program (usually it's on "program file" in drive csmiley, delete the folder. if u are unable to delete the whole folder, open it and delete all the "deleteables", next, go back to "control panel, add and remove programs, and remove the unwanted application.

hopefully, you will say hooray!
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by Ralvy(m): 4:27pm On Oct 02, 2007
And if the above dosent work grin

If u're trying to fix the broken installation meaning u have a new CD, delete items in the temp folder!! when your installing softwares on a machine, the installer extracts some files to the temporary folder on the OS which will be used to further the installation, in that folder - you can find the uninstaller there if its not available in Program Files.

Or Delete the files there, insert the Bad CD, and start another installation, if the software files are found - the installer should ask you what u want to do, this may include, Repair, Remove, etc

Concerning the DOS, YES! You need knowledge in MS-DOS, if you can let me know the location of the software folder on your computer, let me know. I will put a DOS file together for you that when u execute - it wipes every single thing in the directory you want cleaned.
You Must be very careful doing this. The location for the Folder could be C:/Program Files/ (Company name)

Good Luck
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by shinzoabe: 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2007
Ralvy,

I think I prefer the method you are adopting. I have tried the methods the other guys suggested, however the thing still refused to go away.

Nnah, I am tired with this computer ooo! The location of the program is C:/Program Files/ArchiCAD 8

I will appreciate if you give me the DOS steps to remove the program.

Thanks
Shinzo Abe
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by Ralvy(m): 4:21pm On Oct 04, 2007
This method was called deltree, but it wasnt supported under newer windows releases;
however, I was able to find the newer recognised batch command, this is the deltree replacement in Windows 2000 / XP

This is it;

This command: RD C:/Ralph /S /Q will delete every single file in my C Dircetory which means, I will loose every thing under the Ralph folder.

/S = Removes all directories and files in the specified directory in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a directory tree.
/Q = Quiet mode, do not ask if OK to remove a directory tree with /S.

So to remove that directory on ur system and all files, this is what you type in Command Prompt:
RD C:/Program Files/ArchiCAD 8 /S /Q

And that folder will be out of ur system for Good,

you can also use RD C:/Program Files/ArchiCAD 8 /S (without /Q), the difference is that it will ask for a confirmation, make sure u dnt save the file - you can imagine creating a file that will delete the whole drive and then put it on a frends laptop. Working with DOS is dangerous I must say.

So Just execute this in ur CMD

RD C:/Program Files/ArchiCAD 8 /S /Q

and the folder will be OUT, we will now get it out of the Add or remove program list.
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by nawa1(m): 10:42am On Oct 05, 2007
come o o Ralvy, make you no vex. . . you sure say, dem born you 2ru d normal process weh dem de carry born pickin, or dem print you out 2ru computer? cos d way yoou carry sabi dis thing tire me ooo!!!
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by Ralvy(m): 11:36am On Oct 05, 2007
na wa:

come o o Ralvy, make you no vex. . . you sure say, them born you 2ru d normal process weh them de carry born pickin, or them print you out 2ru computer? because d way yoou carry sabi this thing tire me ooo!!!

LOL grin grin grin

na wa:

because d way yoou carry sabi this thing tire me ooo!!!

Omo Na God o . . .
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by penyng: 12:45pm On Oct 05, 2007
Ralvy, you are the man
Re: Uninstalling A Program From Ms-dos? by Ralvy(m): 3:48pm On Oct 05, 2007
penyng:

Ralvy, you are the man

Thnx penyng . . .you can become greater that me if you want to . . .
keep reading . . the only way out . . &
Curiosity, That's IT

(1) (Reply)

How To Insert Album Clip Art Into Music On Your Computer / Laptop Chargers At Its Cheapest.. From 1200, unit and bulk sales / UK Used thinkpad Lenovo T440s core i7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.