Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage (2825 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
Please I need your input, With regard to Tradtional  Igbo Marriage-

ALOT OF QUESTIONS- but a serious disagreemnt has arisen from this, please help me answer:

When a man comes to complete the list- to pay the dowry- is that the traditional wedding?  Or can this be done in private outside the community?  outside extended family?

When you refer to trado or traditional marriage is this when the dowry must be paid or can the dowry be paid and a traditioonal/party be done at a later point?

Is the traditional marriage just a party recognizing that the couple is married?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 5:33pm On Oct 12, 2011
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 3:19pm On Oct 13, 2011
shocked so no one can offer input on my questions?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 4:04am On Oct 14, 2011
Honestly, I would have thought that someone would have answered this question by now. Anyway, the traditional marriage is the final public ceremony in the traditional marriage process. I don't know how others do it, but on our side it is at the final public ceremony that the bridewealth is presented. Hope that answers your question.
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 2:42pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Honestly, I would have thought that someone would have answered this question by now. Anyway, the traditional marriage is the final public ceremony in the traditional marriage process. I don't know how others do it, but on our side it is at the final public ceremony that the bridewealth is presented. Hope that answers your question.

thank u 4 answering, u say final, so what r the other stages

what part of ngwa r u from? (looking at your profile)
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 4:20pm On Oct 14, 2011
I am from Ovom, Akhuma Imo.

Well, I don't know about other places, but in Ngwa we have the Orukpu stage, which is the investigative process (Igba Orukpu is how we refer to it). After Orukpu (assuming the investigation is satisfactory) there is the Dehnwu Dehnwu stage, which is typically done in a single evening. It is a private, affirmation ceremony, where direct discussions are held and questions asked, and the families give their affirmation of the intent for marriage, as well as confirmation of the things uncovered during the investigative process. After Dehnwu Dehnwu (again, assuming it proves satisfactory) the main traditional marriage ceremony, Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi, is then scheduled and held (Igba Nkwu is not our marriage institution. It is from Anambra I believe).
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2011
U R from WHERE!!!!! woowww!!!!! small world !!!!!!!I have family from there- what village are you from

ur Eze na Onwunali, no?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I am from Ovom, Akhuma Imo.

Well, I don't know about other places, but in Ngwa we have the Orukpu stage, which is the investigative process (Igba Orukpu is how we refer to it). After Orukpu (assuming the investigation is satisfactory) there is the Dehnwu Dehnwu stage, which is typically done in a single evening. It is a private, affirmation ceremony, where direct discussions are held and questions asked, and the families give their affirmation of the intent for marriage, as well as confirmation of the things uncovered during the investigative process. After Dehnwu Dehnwu (again, assuming it proves satisfactory) the main traditional marriage ceremony, Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi, is then scheduled and held (Igba Nkwu is not our marriage institution. It is from Anambra I believe).

thank you for the education- i didnt know that much, i hear igba kwo so much i thought it was a universal igbo way to refer to the ceremony! thanx

Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi- is that when the dowry is paid, when the list requirements are fulfilled?

thats done in the community right?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 4:55pm On Oct 14, 2011
Lol No. I'm not Eze Onwunali. I'm much too young, and besides I reside in the States. My village is Umuobhu.

UgoBabe:

thank you for the education- i didnt know that much, i hear igba kwo so much i thought it was a universal igbo way to refer to the ceremony! thanx
No problem.

UgoBabe:

Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi- is that when the dowry is paid, when the list requirements are fulfilled?
thats done in the community right?
Well, technically it isn't dowry and it isn't "paid", if you understand what I mean, but yes. It is at Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi that it's all done at.
And yes, it is done in the community, a public ceremony.
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Lol No. I'm not Eze Onwunali. I'm much too young, and besides I reside in the States. My village is Umuobhu.

no i am not calling u EZE, i know of him and know he wouldnt be on naiiraland, lollllllllllll grin grin cheesy wink i was asking if he was your eze so in know am thinkging of the right Ovom,

am not sure i know Umuobhu area- where in the states are you??

do you know anyone from Obikabia? Umuanunu?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 5:02pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Well, technically it isn't dowry and it isn't "paid", if you understand what I mean, but yes. It is at Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi that it's all done at.
And yes, it is done in the community, a public ceremony.

SUPER!!!! you have answered my questions ho haa,

but i dont get you- why do you say dowry isnt paid, when i say dowry i mean that bride price is given to the family ,
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 5:39pm On Oct 14, 2011
Yea, don't worry. You're thinking of the right Ovom, and yes. It's Eze Onwunali of Akhuma Imo. I'm in NC. I know a few people from Umuanunu and Obikabia, but we aren't like close friends or anything. We mainly associate at the annual Ngwa conventions.

Well, technically dowry is a practice that I know happens in India, where the woman (or the bride's family) brings the requirements. We don't practice that. Instead we do the opposite, which is bridewealth, where the man (or the groom's family) brings the requirements. I also say it isn't paid because 1) it isn't a transaction, instead it's more like a presentation, and 2) it is ceremonial/symbolic, much like the ring is in weddings. Imagine for example if at a wedding, it came to the point where the pastor says, "you may now place the ring on her finger" and the rings were missing. That wedding ceremony would come to an awkward, silent pause/halt (most people describe this as a wedding nightmare). The rings finalize the ceremony and give social and cultural recognition and legitimacy to the wedding.

That's essentially what the bridewealth is in the Mmemme Isi Nwaanyi. It isn't a payment, or a transaction. Instead it is a necessary part of the ceremony that gives social and cultural legitimacy to the traditional marriage. Without it, the couple is not recognized as having married.
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 5:59pm On Oct 14, 2011
again, thanx for the info,

i was checking to send you a private email but i dont see how, okaayy!!! i think i know who u are!!!! did you go to this year's convention?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 6:00pm On Oct 14, 2011
reading your response, i dont have a clue who u could be, cheesy wink

are u on bb?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2011
No problem. Hahah You think you know who I am? Anyway yea, I went to this year's convention. Oh, and my email setting was on hidden. It's on public now.
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2011
bb?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 6:07pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

bb?

blackberry
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 6:10pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

No problem. Hahah You think you know who I am? Anyway yea, I went to this year's convention. Oh, and my email setting was on hidden. It's on public now.

i think soooo,

without mentioning names do you have a fair skinned sister who was there who lives in texas

were you wearing black on saturday of the ocnvention??
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:10pm On Oct 14, 2011
Oh okay. I thought as much. Yea, I'm on BB.
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:20pm On Oct 14, 2011
I have a fair-skinned sister, but she doesn't live in Texas, and no, I don't think I wore black on Saturday. Sorry.
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2011
what is your pin lets communicate-
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:32pm On Oct 14, 2011
Let me ask, did you attend the Saturday morning youth service?
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by UgoBabe(f): 6:35pm On Oct 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

. . Let me ask, did you attend the Saturday morning youth service?

i got your pin- u can remove it now,

no i didnt attend the youth service- if u did, then u r not who i am thinking u r!

am sending a request 2 your bb now
Re: Igba Kwo Nwanyi And Dowry -Igbo Traditional Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 6:40pm On Oct 14, 2011
Oh okay.

(1) (Reply)

Spiritual Benefits Of Bathing With Scent Leaf Water. Spiritual Cleansing Remedy. / Hatred For Black Americans On This Website.. / Horoscope:Need Help With Your Zodiac?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.