Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,642 members, 7,851,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:22 PM

The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. (236 Views)

Wow! I Never Knew Mallam Abba Kyari Has A Strong Followership In Canada / Suleiman Aliyu, Corper With Leadership Newspaper Shot At Shiite Protest (photo) / Buhari Enjoys ‘cult-like’ Followership; Ekweremadu, PDP Govs Supporting Him – BM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by GideonOludayomi(m): 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2023
In the intricate tapestry of Nigeria's socio-political landscape, the notions of leadership and followership intertwine, revealing a complex web of perspectives that shape the nation's destiny.
Like fragments of a multifaceted gem, the three distinct types of thinkers emerge, each casting its unique hue upon the canvas of societal progress. Generational thinkers, rooted in familial legacy, seek to ensure their descendants' prosperity. Transformative thinkers, champions of innovation dare to challenge the conventional and envision a brighter path forward. And then there are the consumer thinkers, driven by immediacy, often overlooking the lasting impact of their actions. As Nigeria strives to define its destiny, these divergent mindsets among leaders and followers hold the key to unlocking either stagnation or evolution. A closer exploration of these paradigms uncovers the nuanced dynamics that both hinder and enable the nation's pursuit of collective advancement.

Who are these people? Let's see.

1. Generational Thinkers
Generational thinkers, as against the ideal, focus on the well-being of their immediate family and sometimes extend concern to their children and grandchildren. While their intention is driven by a desire to secure their family's future. This mindset makes them to have limited perspective on societal progress. They prioritize short-term gains( because of self serving interests) over long-term benefits for the larger community or future generations. They only see themselves as the future.

2. Transformative Thinkers
Transformative thinkers are those who seek change, progress, and innovation. They are not content with maintaining the status quo and are always looking for new, creative, and dynamic solutions to problems. These individuals often challenge conventional norms and work towards driving positive change, even if it means facing resistance from traditional mindsets. Transformative thinkers play a crucial role in pushing societies forward, but they face unfortunate resistance from those who want change but can't pay the price to effect changes. Many thinkers like this have been victimized and turned into enemies of the state just for having ideas that work.

3. Consumer Thinkers
Consumer thinkers are individuals primarily focused on immediate personal gain without considering the broader implications of their actions. I call these ones the eaters of stones and the wasters of bread. They prioritize short-term pleasure over long-term sustainability. In the context of leadership and followership. Consumer thinkers are more concerned with what they can gain from the system or office rather than contributing to the betterment of society as a whole. This mindset hinders progress and development, as they have no priority for any common good.

This is the sad situation Nigeria is bedeviled with. The proliferation of Leaders driven by a shallow generational or consumer mindset rather than the greater good, has given potency to corruption and a total lack of accountability. While on the other hand, transformative leaders are being resisted and sometimes condemned as they struggle to implement their ideas.

Similarly, followers who exhibit these different mindsets also contribute to the overall dynamics of the Nigerian society. Those who align with a transformative mindset might support change and progressive leadership while generational and consumer thinkers may be more prone to supporting the status quo for personal gains. Even when they see what is wrong.

Addressing these issues requires a collective effort. We must encourage a more transformative and forward-thinking approach in our dire situation where the well-being of the entire nation and future generations is prioritized over short-term gains. If we retrace our steps, that future is what we can begin to experience from tomorrow and build overtime. What we need is civic education, a culture of accountability, and an open dialogue between leadership and followership. All these will play significant roles in shaping a more positive direction for the nation.

I look forward to a greater country.
God bless Nigeria!

Gideon OLUDAYOMI

1 Like

Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by immortalcrown(m): 2:59pm On Aug 19, 2023
If you want to effectively discuss Nigerian leadership, start from the beginning. Start from how Nigeria came into existence and the kind of leadership that Nigeria had in the beginning.
Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by Wodu89: 3:01pm On Aug 19, 2023
for a society that criticizes its own so easily and pulls the ones trying to do a thing or two
Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by orisa37: 6:00pm On Aug 19, 2023
ALL HAIL CAESAR CORRUPTION AND SELFISHNESS.

1 Like

Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by GideonOludayomi(m): 6:33am On Aug 20, 2023
immortalcrown:
If you want to effectively discuss Nigerian leadership, start from the beginning. Start from how Nigeria came into existence and the kind of leadership that Nigeria had in the beginning.

You are right. But then, this discourse have remained unending. My personal aim now is to provoke a consciousness in is the citizens and not to engage in an endless discussion. Perhaps, if we thrive towards a change of mindset, these discussions would make better sense. Do you agree?
Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by GideonOludayomi(m): 6:35am On Aug 20, 2023
Wodu89:
for a society that criticizes its own so easily and pulls the ones trying to do a thing or two

Oh yes! A problem does not just manifest in one way. It grows root faster and deeper than we can ever catch up. Yet,it is surmountable.
Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by immortalcrown(m): 8:03am On Aug 20, 2023
GideonOludayomi:
You are right. But then, this discourse have remained unending. My personal aim now is to provoke a consciousness in is the citizens and not to engage in an endless discussion. Perhaps, if we thrive towards a change of mindset, these discussions would make better sense. Do you agree?
Isn't your topic aimed at changing the mindset of Nigerians?
Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by GideonOludayomi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2023
immortalcrown:
Isn't your topic aimed at changing the mindset of Nigerians?
Not specifically, more like a provocation.
Re: The Real Problem With Leadership And Followership In Nigeria: My Opinion. by immortalcrown(m): 4:59pm On Aug 20, 2023
GideonOludayomi:

Not specifically, more like a provocation.
An aimless provocation, so to say?

(1) (Reply)

How The Next N5billion Palliative Should Be Invested Into States / Kogi Poll: Gov Adeleke Seeks Unity Among PDP Stakeholders / FCTA Demolishes Illegal Market In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.