Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,945 members, 7,952,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:51 AM

Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) (27532 Views)

Pharmacists' (Students & Professionals) Point / Chartered Economists Certificate Scandal, Please Beware ! / Institute Of Chartered Economists Of Nigeria (ICEN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by drexx(m): 9:34am On Jul 02, 2013
Please can anyone post the links where I can download free economics e books. Particularly on quantitative analysis. Please would be really grateful if I get the links
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by oladayo042: 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2013
decode: Where can i get The serial key for e views 7 student version?
I use "demo" and it works very fine.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by azeezwl: 1:04pm On Oct 14, 2013
I'm thinking of going for either B.sc or B.A Economics. I like the B.sc because my findings made me to understand that there are more practicals in it. B.A on the other hand, i learnt it is purely based on theories. I want have a sound basis for my First Degree in Economics so as help me do better in Graduate level. Please I want the Bosses in the house to help me know more on this issue. Thanks.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 10:21am On Oct 16, 2013
azeezwl: I'm thinking of going for either B.sc or B.A Economics. I like the B.sc because my findings made me to understand that there are more practicals in it. B.A on the other hand, i learnt it is purely based on theories. I want have a sound basis for my First Degree in Economics so as help me do better in Graduate level. Please I want the Bosses in the house to help me know more on this issue. Thanks.

Currently doin a phd in economics. Well, for one thing, tis d oda way round, as in, more practicals in ba nd mre theories in bsc, however dese theories r d foundation for economic research, so depends on wat u want. If ur lookin at phd in economics of any sort (including development and agricultural economics), bsc it has to be, because u would need every technical skill possible to get tru graduate level coursework includin lots of linear algebra and calculus. But if ur lookin at jst an MA in economics or an MSC in development economics, or a phd in development studies or international trade or development etc etc, that is, courses that are more policy oriented, den d BA is for u. Hope I could help. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by azeezwl: 8:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
Chylo:

Currently doin a phd in economics. Well, for one thing, tis d oda way round, as in, more practicals in ba nd mre theories in bsc, however dese theories r d foundation for economic research, so depends on wat u want. If ur lookin at phd in economics of any sort (including development and agricultural economics), bsc it has to be, because u would need every technical skill possible to get tru graduate level coursework includin lots of linear algebra and calculus. But if ur lookin at jst an MA in economics or an MSC in development economics, or a phd in development studies or international trade or development etc etc, that is, courses that are more policy oriented, den d BA is for u. Hope I could help. Cheers.

It does sir, thanks. But I intend studying down to P.hd level. I love mathematics, though i didnt do applied maths in high school, but i learnt a few of them like Calculus, Permutation and combination, Matrices, etc. I'll love to be one of those who seek to get the right policies to any disturbing Economic problem either in a company, my country and the world at large. Naturally, I am just the type that loves to find a solution to any damn problem.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
azeezwl:
It does sir, thanks. But I intend studying down to P.hd level. I love mathematics, though i didnt do applied maths in high school, but i learnt a few of them like Calculus, Permutation and combination, Matrices, etc. I'll love to be one of those who seek to get the right policies to any disturbing Economic problem either in a company, my country and the world at large. Naturally, I am just the type that loves to find a solution to any damn problem.

Then you sir, would make a great Economist. Go for the BSc, u'd fit right in. For eg, my speciality is in modelling poverty measures and impacts of micro nd macro policies on poverty reduction, which I think is a pretty practical problem. But, without understanding advanced microeconomic econometric modelling, I would be restricted in the sorts of solutions I am able to offer.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by haveworkskills: 10:49am On Nov 17, 2013
Do your career and future a favour at little cost to you. Aspiring Economists and Financial Analysts? Contact us at financeprofessionalskills@gmail.com.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by haveworkskills: 10:49am On Nov 17, 2013
Learn the main, the main professional skills and build valuable but learned work experience in key areas of finance, business, financial and economic consulting outside of the four walls of an office.

Sounds impossible? No, never! We can help you achieve it. Sit down and read-on if you desire to break into the world of professional business, management, finance and economics. As you read, remain 98.97% assured that we can and will help you shape your career goals!

So,

Are you a newly minted graduate and looking to carve a niche for yourself in a particular area of finance before going for NYSC?
Are you done with NYSC and have been unemployed for at least 1 month just because companies say that, although you are good, you do not have the skills they require in a prospective employee?

Or are you already employed in an area that you hate, with a passion, and you go to work every morning because you just have to pay those gaddem bills, but deep down in you, you want to build useful professional skills in say economics and finance which will help you shift to a more rewarding career, that you will enjoy?

Or, worse still, are you one of those brilliant but unlucky people who have polytechnic/university education, but find themselves doing security and cleaning jobs and other menial jobs, that require no professional skills, at banks and other companies AND you always think within yourself that those people who you clean their offices or open their doors every blessed day are just lucky and not necessarily better than you?
You’re not alone...Many people suffer these myriads of dissatisfaction in their lives and even more..But the good thing is that we can help. We can help you turn the dissatisfaction into satisfaction.

--We can help you build skills, work related professional skills, that will increase your desirability, make you succeed in the real world, improve your attractiveness to employers and force even the reputable employers to chase you or regret not offering you a job.

--We can help you build your confidence to a point that you can get more than 50% of the jobs you apply for or even begin a business of your own with the skills we will teach you and build the business to maturity.

Download the attached document to continue reading how we can help increase your professional worth and prestige to reflect the high quality human being that you are and make you more valuable than you are. Yes, we can help

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by haveworkskills: 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2013
an you do fundamental stock research?
Can you value companies using different valuation techniques as occasion demands?
Do you have a good understanding of financial statements analysis?
Can you use Excel, Word and PowerPoint?
Are your writing and speaking skills above average?
Do you understand economics and some bond market jargons?
Are you conversant with the happenings in the money market?
Do you have between 1-4 years experience doing analysis of stocks, bonds and the broader economy?
Do you have at least 2 relevant writing samples to prove that you can write good analysis of stocks, bonds or the broader macroeconomy?

If you answered Yes to these questions, then there is an opportunity waiting for you to grab. A full time job opportunity at a Lagos-based investment bank.

An investment bank founded after 1999 seeks to employ the services of a skilled analyst to support its investing banking deals and brokerage and reserach units. You will be working on a team of highly hardworking professionals who will value any positive contribution you bring to the table. This is an opportunity for you to learn and grow your career while earning a good salary and bonus. If you are interested and believe you can ace verbal interviews on stocks, bonds and macroeconomics, please quickly send your CV, cover letter AND two very recent writing samples, most preferably on a stock, a bond or the Nigerian economy, to financeprofessionalskills@gmail.com. We will go through your attachments. If they meet the minimum standards, then we will have them forwarded to the company's hiring manager. We're not the ones hiring, at least for now..Our job is to make you attractive to companies by training you very well.

Qualifications
Skills are more important, you MUST have the above skills to be considered for the job. No stories.
Minimum education requirement is a BSc (2:2 Hons) in ANY field and from ANY school.
CFA/CAIA/CIS/ICAN/ACCA/MBA/MSc are all looked at favourably and could increase your chances of being accepted. However, they are never a substitute for the above skills and the firm in question is not willing to pay a premium to those that have at least one of the qualifications.

Meanwhile, if you wish to quicken your professional skills, you will find the attached document very useful. Download and read now!

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

1 Share

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by benebaby77: 3:04pm On Jul 15, 2014
Please, economists in the house. I need your help with regard to my research project on "Impact of Global Financial Crisis on Nigeria's Economic Growth". I got stuck in chapter two: Literature Review, especially theorectical and empirical review. It will be of great value to me, if anybody can put me through!
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 4:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
benebaby77: Please, economists in the house. I need your help with regard to my research project on "Impact of Global Financial Crisis on Nigeria's Economic Growth". I got stuck in chapter two: Literature Review, especially theorectical and empirical review. It will be of great value to me, if anybody can put me through!

Try searching online by this paper "Global Shocks and their Impact on Nigeria: Lessons From Global Financial Crisis" by
P.O Alege, T.V Ojapinwa and H.T Bello. It uses VAR methodology and has a small literature review you can consult.

Remember how research work normally goes; it is like a rabbit hole, once you get one great paper on your subject, and you look at its references, then you can get many good papers, then you look at their references too, and before you know it, you are spoiled for choice. Good-luck on your research.

1 Like

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by benebaby77: 6:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thanks Chylo
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 12:19am On Jul 16, 2014
Hello house, I am a third year student of the University of Lagos studying economics and i must say, I am quite impressed with what I see here. I need advice too. Is it possible to go for a PhD after my graduation without masters degree? If possible, where? And is it also advisable? Thank you
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 3:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ugosample: Hello house, I am a third year student of the University of Lagos studying economics and i must say, I am quite impressed with what I see here. I need advice too. Is it possible to go for a PhD after my graduation without masters degree? If possible, where? And is it also advisable? Thank you

Hi Ugo, first of all, I am in the UK and can only speak about the UK unfortunately.
First and foremost, the answer to your question is definitely yes, you can start a phd here with only an undergrad degree. However, you would need an exceptionally high grade, most likely a first class. Furthermore, getting funding is actually much harder than getting admitted, especially in a non-science or engineering course. And without a masters, it would be more difficult for your research ability to be judged properly for you to be given a scholarship.
Even if you were to start the phd program, you will do wat it called a 1+3, which means d first year would essentially be a masters, with the remaining 3 for your phd, making it 4 years in all. If you did a masters first, the phd can be completed in 3.
Together, these imply that doing a masters standalone first thus getting some research experience, and getting a good grade in it (68 and above) will help you stand a better chance of both getting admitted and getting funded. You will also know more about the different fields and recent research in economics to choose your specialization wisely. The time spent altogether will still be the same.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 11:55pm On Jul 17, 2014
Chylo:

Hi Ugo, first of all, I am in the UK and can only speak about the UK unfortunately.
First and foremost, the answer to your question is definitely yes, you can start a phd here with only an undergrad degree. However, you would need an exceptionally high grade, most likely a first class. Furthermore, getting funding is actually much harder than getting admitted, especially in a non-science or engineering course. And without a masters, it would be more difficult for your research ability to be judged properly for you to be given a scholarship.
Even if you were to start the phd program, you will do wat it called a 1+3, which means d first year would essentially be a masters, with the remaining 3 for your phd, making it 4 years in all. If you did a masters first, the phd can be completed in 3.
Together, these imply that doing a masters standalone first thus getting some research experience, and getting a good grade in it (68 and above) will help you stand a better chance of both getting admitted and getting funded. You will also know more about the different fields and recent research in economics to choose your specialization wisely. The time spent altogether will still be the same.
Thank you
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Mattex001(m): 10:27am On Jul 19, 2014
now following....
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Mattex001(m): 5:15pm On Jul 19, 2014
Hey guys my name is matthew........please can someone help me provide materials or coin a reasonable topic out this : EXPLAIN WHY GOVERNMENT OWNERSHIP AND CONTROL OF LAND RESOURSES IN NIGERIA ARE RESULTING IN SUB OPTIMAL SOLUTION STATE.
ITS AN ASSIGNMNT.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 11:39pm On Jul 19, 2014
Mattex001: Hey guys my name is matthew........please can someone help me provide materials or coin a reasonable topic out this : EXPLAIN WHY GOVERNMENT OWNERSHIP AND CONTROL OF LAND RESOURSES IN NIGERIA ARE RESULTING IN SUB OPTIMAL SOLUTION STATE.
ITS AN ASSIGNMNT.

Hi Matthew, you should be searching for articles regarding the effect of Nigeria's "Land Tenure System" on the efficiency of the economy. Maybe start by describing the land use act and then demonstrate why it may not be the best (sub-optimal). Also, consider looking into possibilities of "Land Reform" and how a modification or reform can improve the efficiency of the economy.

Remember that as an economist, the efficiency of an economy would be measured by the ability of all markets to clear i.e. that demand balances out supply in all markets, among other things. Do a little research and you should be fine. Cheers.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Mattex001(m): 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
Chylo:

Hi Matthew, you should be searching for articles regarding the effect of Nigeria's "Land Tenure System" on the efficiency of the economy. Maybe start by describing the land use act and then demonstrate why it may not be the best (sub-optimal). Also, consider looking into possibilities of "Land Reform" and how a modification or reform can improve the efficiency of the economy.

Remember that as an economist, the efficiency of an economy would be measured by the ability of all markets to clear i.e. that demand balances out supply in all markets, among other things. Do a little research and you should be fine. Cheers.
well said bro! this would really help a lot! Thanks
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Mattex001(m): 4:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
hey guys please any more contributions to the topic above will be well appreciated....
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by nurd(m): 11:09pm On May 11, 2015
Is it advisable
Chylo:

Is it advisable to do an M.sc in Economics after a B.sc in Economics?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 11:52pm On May 11, 2015
nurd:
Is it advisableIs it advisable to do an M.sc in Economics after a B.sc in Economics?

Yes of course, that is the natural next step. M.A after B.A and M.Sc after B.Sc

Depending, as previously stated, on what your objectives are. An M.A after B.Sc is not advisable if a phd could be somewhere in the future.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by martfrank(m): 11:48pm On May 12, 2015
Good day guys, am a Corper recently posted to Nasarawa. Please I need tips on how to garner work experience in my service year, And I also made 2.2 in economics unn. Please can anyone recommend any good professional courses that is affordable that one can do with allawee in my service year. Since I made 2.2, I intend adding these courses and experience to complement my poor grade. Thanks in anticipation of your responses.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 4:20pm On Aug 23, 2015
is it true that without a PhD, you cannot be really called economist?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 5:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:
is it true that without a PhD, you cannot be really called economist?
YES
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 5:27pm On Aug 23, 2015
martfrank:
Good day guys, am a Corper recently posted to
Nasarawa. Please I need tips on how to garner work experience
in my service year, And I also made 2.2 in economics unn.
Please can anyone recommend any good professional courses that
is affordable that one can do with allawee in my service year.
Since I made 2.2, I intend adding these courses and experience
to complement my poor grade. Thanks in anticipation of your
responses.
Try ACCA.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 5:42pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
YES
I find that hard to believe. When someone has B.SC in Accounting is called accountant, B.Sc in Sociology is a soociologist, B.Sc in Economics is now called what?
I will be done with my Bachelor's degree in economics in two months, and on getting my degree, what will i be called? grin grin
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 5:51pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

I find that hard to believe. When someone has B.SC in Accounting is called accountant, B.Sc in Sociology is a soociologist, B.Sc in Economics is now called what?
I will be done with my Bachelor's degree in economics in two months, and on getting my degree, what will i be called? grin grin
Lol even Lecturers would tell you with a Bsc in General Economics you are not there yet...you've got to have a specialisation..like Financial/Monetary, Agricultural/Development, International/Labour...and until you have an ACCA/ICAN you are not yet an Accountant..Just choose...
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 5:59pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
Lol even Lecturers would tell you with a Bsc in General Economics you are not there yet...you've got to have a specialisation..like Financial/Monetary, Agricultural/Development, International/Labour...and until you have an ACCA/ICAN you are not yet an Accountant..Just choose...
Am considering a masters degree in International Economics/ Monetary Economics. Will i then be a qualified economist?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 6:15pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

Am considering a masters degree in International Economics/ Monetary Economics. Will i then be a qualified economist?
Yes...Goodluck.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 6:18pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

Did you school in Unilag?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian-Born Kelechi Ndukwe Promoted To Captain In U.S Navy, To Command Warship / Airport Guards Who Returned Bag Of Dollars, Finally Honoured. Photos / Army Rewards Soldiers With Bicycles, Cash For Good Conduct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.