Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) (27041 Views)

Pharmacists' (Students & Professionals) Point / Chartered Economists Certificate Scandal, Please Beware ! / Institute Of Chartered Economists Of Nigeria (ICEN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 6:22pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
Did you school in Unilag?
Yep. Why do you ask?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 6:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

Yep. Why do you ask?
Ah you should know Dr Ishola and Dr Isaac Nwaogugu great guys...they constantly told us we should get Phd's in Economics before age 30....
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 6:31pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
Ah you should know Dr Ishola and Dr Isaac Nwaogugu great guys...they constantly told us we should get Phd's in Economics before age 30....
Yep Dr Nwaogwugwu is my guy. Very sound economist. He told us to be the best at what we do. But his exam is another story.
what set are you?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 6:36pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
But is a PhD really worth it? The stress and everything. Are you doing your PhD?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 6:37pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

Yep Dr Nwaogwugwu is my guy. Very sound economist. He told us to be the best at what we do. But his exam is another story.
what set are you?
2012..I do constantly record his words otherwise d exam would be something else..good mentor.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 6:45pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
2012..I do constantly record his words otherwise d exam would be something else..good mentor.
lol that guy is something else. that is why i always prepare hard and i blast his exams. It means you are K.C dem set?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 6:54pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

But is a PhD really worth it? The stress and everything. Are you doing your PhD?

. Am diverting into finance..there is this fear of being a lecturer..which is I don't really fancy. I would rather do a CFA to Phd. A Phd would be worth it if you love lecturing. As they do say with a PhD you can never be jobless...A PhD would be worth it if you do it in the USA, they do give Full Scholarships and pay yearly stipends they treat it as a Job over there some of their Universities retain their Phd grads as lecturers ....A PhD can get you into the World Bank, AfDB IMF and Co as a researcher..and I mean they pay in Dollars..that enough is a motivation. In Nigeria most Phd's end up being lecturers Dr Nwagwugwu and Dr Ishola did per time lectures @ a Private uni earning about 200k+ their Unilag salary..If you are good in independent research you can give it a shot..would definitely be worth it at the end.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 7:20pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
. Am diverting into finance..there is this fear of being a lecturer..which is I don't really fancy. I would rather do a CFA to Phd. A Phd would be worth it if you love lecturing. As they do say with a PhD you can never be jobless...A PhD would be worth it if you do it in the USA, they do give Full Scholarships and pay yearly stipends they treat it as a Job over there some of their Universities retain their Phd grads as lecturers ....A PhD can get you into the World Bank, AfDB IMF and Co as a researcher..and I mean they pay in Dollars..that enough is a motivation. In Nigeria most Phd's end up being lecturers Dr Nwagwugwu and Dr Ishola did per time lectures @ a Private uni earning about 200k+ their Unilag salary..If you are good in independent research you can give it a shot..would definitely be worth it at the end.
Good. All the best in your endeavors. But lest i ask, what is the process/ requirements to qualify for CFA exams
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 7:29pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

Good. All the best in your endeavors. But lest i ask, what is the process/ requirements to qualify for CFA exams
With a Bsc certificate you are qualified for the Exams..
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 7:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
With a Bsc certificate you are qualified for the Exams..
In Nigeria here? Good. How do i register for it, and what is the structure. Lastly, how many stages are there to complete it?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 8:22pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

In Nigeria here? Good. How do i register for it, and what is the structure. Lastly, how many stages are there to complete it?
You take the lectures here and write the Exam in Ghana. 3 stages and it takes 3-4yrs to complete you are to register at their website.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 8:27pm On Aug 23, 2015
Too long scoobs, i will go for a masters degree or even two self with that time. Thank you.
Have you completed a masters degree?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by 2rutalk1: 8:32pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

what set are you?
Let me join you guys. I did Msc there. I love Dr (Mrs) Risikat Dauda. That lady is good. Dr Akiyele is another stuff. Not forgetting the controversial Dr Ajide.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 8:35pm On Aug 23, 2015
2rutalk1:
Let me join you guys. I did Msc there. I love Dr (Mrs) Risikat Dauda. That lady is good. Dr Akiyele is another stuff. Not forgetting the controversial Dr Ajide.
Dr Ajide lol!!! i miss that guy. He is spartan, strict and calls people names easily lol.
Were you happy to study your masters in unilag? And when did you finish.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by scoobs: 8:43pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:
Too long scoobs, i will go for a masters degree or even two self with that time. Thank you.
Have you completed a masters degree?
lol yes long. Would start sept..
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 8:44pm On Aug 23, 2015
scoobs:
lol yes long. Would start sept..
In Unilag?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by 2rutalk1: 10:32pm On Aug 23, 2015
Ugosample:

Dr Ajide lol!!! i miss that guy. He is spartan, strict and calls people names easily lol.
Were you happy to study your masters in unilag? And when did you finish.
it was stressful though, but their academic calendar was superb. I finished in 2014
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2015
2rutalk1:
it was stressful though, but their academic calendar was superb. I finished in 2014
Good. All the best in all your endeavors
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2015
Ugosample:
is it true that without a PhD, you cannot be really called economist?

In my opinion, a first degree in economics qualifies one to be addressed as an economist, because this is what you are.

1 Like

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 10:49pm On Sep 08, 2015
Chylo:

In my opinion, a first degree in economics qualifies one to be addressed as an economist, because this is what you are.
Thank you! I think it is an ego thing though on the part of the PhD holders
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by pastorsmiling(m): 11:54am On Sep 09, 2015
According to prof S. Aluko define it as a common sense that is not common. That is you are using it and you don't know you are using it. For example a woman in the market who's an illiterate save money, order for goods, take stocks, engaged in business activities never understood she's applying economics .

Pastorsmiling define it as "life itself " meaning all our life is center towards economics. For example money, job, industry, entertainment etc. All works around economics.

1 Like

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 12:23pm On Oct 09, 2015
Hell everyone, it's been a long time since i visited Nairaland, but this thread remains the same way i left it. Make we keep dis forum alive na
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Tobby500(m): 7:31pm On Oct 09, 2015
Proud to be an economics undergratuate@federal uni dutsainma,katsina state
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Tobby500(m): 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2015
Pls wat ar d chances of any economics graduate with 2.2 hons??
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 12:41am On Oct 12, 2015
Tobby500:
Pls wat ar d chances of any economics graduate with 2.2 hons??

If a 2:1 is still possible, please go for it (it gives an advantage in the job market simply by making you eligible for most graduate entry aptitude tests). If not, success in life is still very possible; might just require a little more work.

Also, if you are interested in postgraduate education, with a 2:2, you MAY be required to undergo a PG diploma, before you can start a masters in many schools, local and international. Having said that though, many people have risen from those circumstances, and even 3rd class to become very very successful.
Goodluck.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 12:11pm On Oct 13, 2015
What level are you in @Tobby? Welcome to the forum.....
Tobby500:
Proud to be an economics undergratuate@federal uni dutsainma,katsina state
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Stycon(m): 1:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hello guys, it feels good to be here ; in the arena where beautiful minds like yours tread.

I tried getting textbooks on computational Economics and introduction to Computable General Equilibrium model, but am yet to lay my hand on one. I will greatly appreciate it if I find anyone here with any of these textbooks(e-book preferably). Thanks.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Stycon(m): 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hello guys, it feels good to be here ; in the arena where beautiful minds mingle.

I tried getting textbooks on computational Economics and introduction to Computable General Equilibrium model, but am yet to lay my hand on one. I will greatly appreciate it if I find anyone here with any of these textbooks(e-book preferably). Thanks.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Chylo(m): 8:24pm On Oct 13, 2015
Stycon:
Hello guys, it feels good to be here ; in the arena where beautiful minds mingle.

The best book I have used on CGE modelling is Introduction to Computable General Equilibrium by Mary Burfisher. Look for dis book if you can, I will try to find an e-copy and let you knw if I do. Cheers
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Stycon(m): 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2015
Chylo:

The best book I have used on CGE modelling is Introduction to Computable General Equilibrium by Mary Burfisher. Look for dis book if you can, I will try to find an e-copy and let you knw if I do. Cheers

Thanks

I got the book's preview online, but couldn't get the main book. Also, all my efforts to get it in bookshops proved abortive. sad

I'll be glad if you can help me with the e-copy.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Ugosample(m): 9:24pm On Oct 13, 2015
In about four weeks, i would be a qualified economist too.......
Please congratulate me in advance fellow board members cool cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / 10 Hilarious But Real Office Rules To Live By / Which Business Can I Do Online That Will Increase ₦150k To ₦500k Within 6 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.