Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? (664 Views)

Share Your Experience Buying A Fake LG TV / SOLD SOLD SOLD Very neat 32 Inches Original LG TV For Sale 20k / So, No More Original Lg Tv Except The Fouani Lg Tv Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by aremubabs: 11:24am On Aug 26, 2023
OK, I am not the television type of person. Neither is my wife. As long as it has a wide screen (32' and above), black in colour and with a flatscreen and a thin bezel, we are interested.

My wife just opened a shop, so we moved our sitting room TV to her shop, and I prepared to buy a bigger TV for the sitting room. My budget was 40-50k, so I decided I would go for a Tokunbo TV (the ones we like to call London or American-used here in Nigeria).

So, I went to Iwo Road side to buy TV. I went straight into one shop like that (name withheld), and I found the TV I liked. At the time, I didn't care about brand. I just wanted a big screen TV. I saw a 32 inch TV. I negotiated a price with the seller and got it for 40k. Then, I noticed the LG logo on the bottom bezel.

The seller tested the TV for me, packed it in a carton, and off I went home. At home, I took the time to check the TV. There was an LG sticker stuck to the back which stated that it was an HD-LED TV.

Then, I noticed the TV was DVD-integrated. Since I am not very particular about TVs, I considered myself lucky.

The seller did not sell any remote with the TV. He said he made only a tiny profit with the 40k he sold it to me. So, along the way, I had bought an LG remote.

When I tried using the remote control to take the TV out of standby mode, it did not work. I had to use the side buttons on the TV to navigate.

The next day, I returned to the seller to complain about the TV not responding to a remote. He gave me a UMC remote which surprisingly worked for the TV.

Alright, I began to play around with the TV using the UMC remote. Everything seemed OK, only that I had yet to see the iconic LG icon on the screen since I began using the TV.

Then, as I pressed a button on the remote, there was a message on my screen which says if I have a problem with the TV, I should contact Cello Electronics.

I began to wonder. What has Cello Electronics got to do with LG?

Next, I tried verifying the product number and serial number on the LG website but neither the product number nor the serial number could be found.

I browsed Cello Electronics and found that there is a high chance of the TV being a Cello TV fraudulently branded an LG TV. The repackaging probably happened here in Nigeria.

I have sent an email to Cello Electronics to help verify the identity of this TV in my sitting room. The product number has a similar format with that of Cello TVs, so I am almost 100% sure that my TV is a fake LG.

What are your take on my experience? For those who know Cello Electronics, is there a quick way to verify product numbers with them? It is taking forever for them to even acknowledge my email, let alone give a response. With LG, response was immediate.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by worried222: 11:30am On Aug 26, 2023
Since you are not particular about brands, I think you should just enjoy your tv.

7 Likes

Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by jackmrandy: 11:34am On Aug 26, 2023
aremubabs:
OK, I am not the television type of person. Neither is my wife. As long as it has a wide screen (32' and above), black in colour and with a flatscreen and a thin bezel, we are interested.

My wife just opened a shop, so we moved our sitting room TV to her shop, and I prepared to buy a bigger TV for the sitting room. My budget was 40-50k, so I decided I would go for a Tokunbo TV (the ones we like to call London or American-used here in Nigeria).

So, I went to Iwo Road side to buy TV. I went straight into one shop like that (name withheld), and I found the TV I liked. At the time, I didn't care about brand. I just wanted a big screen TV. I saw a 32 inch TV. I negotiated a price with the seller and got it for 40k. Then, I noticed the LG logo on the bottom bezel.

The seller tested the TV for me, packed it in a carton, and off I went home. At home, I took the time to check the TV. There was an LG sticker stuck to the back which stated that it was an HD-LED TV.

Then, I noticed the TV was DVD-integrated. Since I am not very particular about TVs, I considered myself lucky.

The seller did not sell any remote with the TV. He said he made only a tiny profit with the 40k he sold it to me. So, along the way, I had bought an LG remote.

When I tried using the remote control to take the TV out of standby mode, it did not work. I had to use the side buttons on the TV to navigate.

The next day, I returned to the seller to complain about the TV not responding to a remote. He gave me a UMC remote which surprisingly worked for the TV.

Alright, I began to play around with the TV using the UMC remote. Everything seemed OK, only that I had yet to see the iconic LG icon on the screen since I began using the TV.

Then, as I pressed a button on the remote, there was a message on my screen which says if I have a problem with the TV, I should contact Cello Electronics.

Next, I tried verifying the product number and serial number on the LG website but neither the product number nor the serial number could be found.

I browsed Cello Electronics and found that there is a high chance of the TV being a Cello TV fraudulently branded an LG TV. The repackaging probably happened here in Nigeria.

I have sent an email to Cello Electronics to help verify the identity of this TV in my sitting room. The product number has a similar format with that of Cello TVs, so I am almost 100% sure that my TV is a fake LG.

What are your take on my experience? For those who know Cello Electronics, is there a quick way to verify product numbers with them? It is taking forever for them to even acknowledge my email, let alone give a response. With LG, response was immediate.

Thank you.

If it's working and meets your demand. Continue using and forget about the case. That's business for you. You enter one chance

3 Likes

Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by Zonefree(m): 11:38am On Aug 26, 2023

Don't worry too much about the iconic LG logo, E go come. E dey road, you hear?

4 Likes

Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by incandescentena: 11:48am On Aug 26, 2023
Sorry Op

My problem is that I was running late to work. So I took uber only to find out that the day was Saturday when I don't go to work. No one could even tell me at home sef earlier ..mtcheeew

5 Likes

Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by Achor1111(m): 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2023
aremubabs:

Thank you.
How can one verify LG product, I want to verify mine.
I don't trust my country men again
Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by aremubabs: 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Achor1111:

How can one verify LG product, I want to verify mine.
I don't trust my country men again

You can check here:

https://www.lg.com/africa/support/product-validation

2 Likes

Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by oz4real83(m): 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2023
You don't know anything about tvs, instead of asking people that know about tvs to either follow you or give you ideas, you went on your own, sorry oo cheesy
Re: How I Ended Up Buying A Fake Lg TV. Or Did I? by Popup22: 9:10am On Feb 19
Howdy! Traditional cable TV is gradually giving way to streaming services that offer a wider selection of content for a small fee. With the streaming market dominated by giants like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, there may seem to be little room for new entrants. However, NBCUniversal launched peacock tv a platform that quickly made an impression and attracted the attention of audiences around the world, and today many people enjoy using this streaming service.

(1) (Reply)

My Edmi Hd21 Prepaid Meter Has Factory Faults / Oneplus Bring Offer / Pix:selling As Is,gateway Laptop 14 Inch Notebook,core i3,11th Gen-read!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.