Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,172 members, 7,815,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family (22015 Views)

5 Things You Will Miss When You β€˜japa’ From Nigeria / Women Are Womens Worst Enemies. My Experience With Female Friendships / Are Opposite-sex Friendships Okay In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by madjune(m): 10:51pm On Aug 27, 2023
yewit37486:

With the global inflation trend upwards since last year or so, I very much doubt this. I mean even basic staples in the UK had ridiculous increases in the last one year, not to mention 20 years.

You doubt what?

UK is a sh.tty country in my opinion.

I can't go there to live for whatever reason(s)
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by yewit37486: 11:25pm On Aug 27, 2023
madjune:

You doubt what?

UK is a sh.tty country in my opinion.

I can't go there to live for whatever reason(s)

Hahaha cheesy don't let UK people hear you o, lol.

I said I doubt if there is any country where the price of groundnut oil and gas (petrol?) has remained almost constant in 20 years.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Pandar01: 11:38pm On Aug 27, 2023
yewit37486:

Abeg, this thread has been sane with people sharing their views both for and against, don't bring your tribalism here and pollute it. Thanks.

The against is from a particular region, to a particular man you all call agbado, so what do you call that ?

Una mumu too much I swear.

You try to cover your foolishness,but it's like a smoke ...you people are too dumb ..tribal bigot calling someone tribal,

You will get what you deserve , you people from that region need to leave the affairs of the zoo alone and focus on your Simon ekpas lordship..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by madjune(m): 11:48pm On Aug 27, 2023
yewit37486:

Hahaha cheesy don't let UK people hear you o, lol.

I said I doubt if there is any country where the price of groundnut oil and gas (petrol?) has remained almost constant in 20 years.

Agreed. I fairly exaggerated but the price of Canola oil has almost been the same.

If there's any increase, maybe by few cents, which anyone can afford.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by yewit37486: 12:02am On Aug 28, 2023
madjune:

Agreed. I fairly exaggerated but the price of Canola oil has almost been the same.

If there's any increase, maybe by few cents, which anyone can afford.

Okay, fair enough.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by yewit37486: 12:03am On Aug 28, 2023
Pandar01:

The against is from a particular region, to a particular man you all call agbado, so what do you call that ?

Una mumu too much I swear.

You try to cover your foolishness,but it's like a smoke ...you people are too dumb ..tribal bigot calling someone tribal,

You will get what you deserve , you people from that region need to leave the affairs of the zoo alone and focus on your Simon ekpas lordship..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Smh. You clearly have some mental issues, carry on with your illness.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Pandar01: 12:21am On Aug 28, 2023
yewit37486:

Smh. You clearly have some mental issues, carry on with your illness.

Pain πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by jimcaddy(m): 1:44am On Aug 28, 2023
You see this japaa syndrome is a disgrace to this country. And to think that we are doing nothing to stem the tide shows that nobody wants Nigeria to be better. I've said it, and I'll say it again, Nigerians are the main problem of this country. The government that we all blame is not a robot. It is filled up with Nigerians like me and you who are only concerned about themselves and their families. No one gives two flying fuuuuuckks about anyone in Nigeria. We are a very selfish, corrupt people. And we have refused to do the right thing to make this nation to work. Let everyone keep running away, no problem, since that's all we do, we run away from our problems. The abroad we are running to, do you think that they too don't have their own challenges? Or you think that by some stroke of magic, Nigeria will turn to Canada overnight. The whites we are running to their countries won't come and fix Nigeria for us. I've said it that if every Nigeria moves to Canada and every Canadian move to Nigeria in an exchange, give Nigeria one year. You will see that Canadians will make Nigerian to work, and the Nigerians in Canada will turn Canada back into Nigeria. The problem is not the country, but we the citizens. The say Nigerians decide to have a different mindset about life, that is the very day Nigeria will turn around. But until then, let us keep running away. No wahala.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by bitingcool: 1:47am On Aug 28, 2023
FalseProphet1:
I have so many members in the abroad. And I'm very happy because they pay their tithes and offerings in dollars and Euros.

I see more of my members going to the abroad, I see myself becoming very rich.

This I have seen.

@falseprophet1 the great πŸ‘ πŸ‘Œ πŸ™Œ

1 Like

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by omonla10(m): 2:22am On Aug 28, 2023
YeyeGbami:

in my own opinion, i don’t see why anyone would pay millions of naira to get 5 year care visa. I’ve seen care job descriptions and i shake my head, after taking care of your client. You will now start cleaning the house, running errands. Some call it β€œlive in care worker”

If person no get anything working for him/her here, i won’t blame them for taking the visa.

It’s like deja vu

I'm not in care but from what I know, most care workers can get to choose the kind of work u wanna do. Some don't eventually do care for one day(doings). Me for instance, it's 2.20am and I'm doing night job. I couldn't even go to nite club even if it was all expense paid cos I don't joke with my nights.
Now I do nite 5 times a week. Ive accepted d reality but it's no big deal. U be unskilled labour here o. But u can become anything u want to be easily here and get to choose jobs in d nearest future.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Gerrard59(m): 4:55am On Aug 28, 2023
You read comments page by page from random posters, and one realises they have/had strong convictions for relocating. They have seen results and are glad with their decisions. On the other hand, there are demons like RaptorX, and his cretinous cohorts who spew lies up and down.

Again, as Tensa20 and I have preached, no one has lost betting against Nigeria. I am yet to see it happen.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Cutehector(m): 6:56am On Aug 28, 2023
IbeOkehie:
(Quote) samsegs:
So u feel its all about Japa....i've got a sen bro that just japa,,this dude was making 450k/month where he works here in 9ja,,bro is now regretting y he even japa sef,,....japa is for those struggling in 9ja,,not those that ve made it here in 9ja

My friend 450K is less than $500/mo. That's easy money for ANYONE living in the USA and I say that with 30 years experience starting at the very bottom of the workforce. I regularly sent thousands of dollars to Nigeria working as a cook in a restaurant. Add to that, I lived at a living standard that 450K/mo can't buy in Nigeria. Yes, there's things you can enjoy today at that β‚¦β€Ž450K salary range that a cook can't enjoy, but when you look at the broad picture, a cook in the USA lives a better life.

(Quote) (Report) 9 Likes (Like) (Share)

lmao.. People forget to tell themselves the truth. No skills nothing and they want to japa.

No one needs any skills to live a good life in the USA. Anyone can start at the very bottom and move up. That's not speculation, it's FACT.

There are people I know here, some of them with illegal immigrant status, that have been drivers, cooks, hospital orderlies & care workers, sales clerks at Walmart or hotel desks, janitors and such for 20 to 30 years, some where both man and wife do these same jobs. Their homes are comparable to what you will find in Gbagada or Festac in Lagos, ALL their children still living at home have their own cars and most of them that have moved out are working and some have even bought their own house. In fact just this year a girl I used to babysit, an accountant, bought her own house, her parents both still work those unskilled jobs.

One of my colleagues where I used to work, her father is a TAXI DRIVER in Baltimore and 3 of his kids are doctors and one a pharmacist. And this is not a rare thing anymore among Nigerians here. And yes, not EVERYONE in the USA is successful, but I can assure you the vast majority of unskilled Nigerians here are doing much better than any Nigerian earning ₦450K per month in Nigeria. That's how they contribute to the $10 to $25 billion remittances sent by the diaspora every year.

Just yesterday on guy on holiday from Nigeria walked into my workplace and we got to talking and he started trying to tell me he doesn't like America, he can't stay here. Whereupon I gave him a piece of my mind and just calmly enumerated just how terrible Nigeria is. Another colleague had to tell me to pipe down....nonsense and ingredients.

Nigeria is a cesspool of poverty. Not my opinion, reputable international agencies concerned with such matters have ranked Nigeria as the Poverty Capital of the World!!! What else is there to say? Only 0.5% of Nigerians earn over β‚¦β€Ž200K per month, so where exactly are these people living the good life in Nigeria? It's a very tiny sliver of the population and they can't all be here on Nairaland!

As for the OP, well I hope you have good plans. I know EXACTLY where stories like yours will likely end up. I know soooo many people in Nigeria with multiple siblings abroad. It's very enjoyable indeed but even enjoyment creates its own problems.

Good Luck to Nigeria!

shussh it there.. Many people in nigeria are still doing better than thousands of people in america. We still have homeless people there too..abeg loss.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Atk1nson(m): 7:04am On Aug 28, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by IbeOkehie: 10:36am On Aug 28, 2023
Cutehector:
shussh it there.. Many people in nigeria are still doing better than thousands of people in america. We still have homeless people there too..abeg loss.

That's very true. But on average, an unskilled person is more likely to live at a middle class standard in the USA. β‚¦β€Ž450K is not a good reason to forgo the possibilities of living in Anglo-Western countries. Ordinary β‚¦β€Ž450K cry

Also homelessness in the USA is most likely to be caused by physical or mental illness, including drug abuse.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Cutehector(m): 11:30am On Aug 28, 2023
IbeOkehie:

That's very true. But on average, an unskilled person is more likely to live at a middle class standard in the USA. β‚¦β€Ž450K is not a good reason to forgo the possibilities of living in Anglo-Western countries. Ordinary β‚¦β€Ž450K cry

Also homelessness in the USA is most likely to be caused by physical or mental illness, including drug abuse.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
i get you bro. How about people who paid so much to get to u.k and it turned out that they were duped(fake jobs)

You also need to factor that in too. I am not saying its bad to japa but travel with a purpose and also make sure the travel agents one is using are genuine agents who wont swindle.

Those unskilled workers also have loans they are still paying back in nigeria due to the money they raised and borrowed. So it will take few years for them to even stabilize or begin to start sending money back home.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by hayatou27: 3:26pm On Aug 28, 2023
Story of my life ☹️☹️☹️
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by okewumi: 4:20am On Aug 29, 2023
Japa case is like someone they told to live holiness life so tbat he can make heaven but refused. If you say heaven does not exist and you die and discovered heaven exist, what will you do? It is late. You can not come to world and live holy life again to make heaven . But if you live holy life and at the end heaven doesn't exist, it is all well and good., you go to where others go.

If you japa and abroad doesn't favour you, you come back and you will bounce back within some years in Nigeria because most are poor. But if you have the opportunity but failed to use it to Japa, your unborn children will abuse u.
I have said it in parable
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Treadway: 9:30am On Aug 30, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Good Luck to Nigerians.
olurotimi, this is the person I said you should link up with. He certainly can't airlift hundreds of people out of naija, but surely he appears capable enough to help just 1 person who has already put one foot through the door by securing a visit visa. I really hope this works out for you all. My work here is done.

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Treadway: 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2023
okewumi:
Japa case is like someone they told to live holiness life so tbat he can make heaven but refused. If you say heaven does not exist and you die and discovered heaven exist, what will you do? It is late. You can not come to world and live holy life again to make heaven . But if you live holy life and at the end heaven doesn't exist, it is all well and good., you go to where others go.

If you japa and abroad doesn't favour you, you come back and you will bounce back within some years in Nigeria because most are poor. But if you have the opportunity but failed to use it to Japa, your unborn children will abuse u.
I have said it in parable
the bolded is so illogical, that it is head spinning. I think you should have just left it at the parable, cos this line further dents your argument deeply.

'Come back to Naija and bounce back within some years'?? Perhaps you don't know, but this basically means you are strengthening the point that it is easier to recover loss, bounce back, gain footing in Nigeria...and this hurts your argument!

'Bounce back within some years because most are poor'?? This is as incoherent as can be. What is the link between bouncing back and how it is because most are poor?! πŸ˜’

You for just drop the parable waka, and those who will see the sense in it go still see am.....no need arguing/debating if it isn't your strong point.

Cheers.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Meerahbel: 2:42pm On Sep 06, 2023
shocked
omonla10:
best way is if u can come single or with ur wife/husband alone.. Then the 2 of u can work. And collect just one room.. U will be saving more than a bank manager salary for naija even after ur monthly expenses
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Rubyjade: 3:38pm On Sep 10, 2023
angry
Basher8583:

No one is stopping you na. You can go and slave yourself away. Shebi na the exchange rate dey make una dey japa to do rubbish work.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Rubyjade: 3:39pm On Sep 10, 2023
grin
CaptainFM1:

They were bored and lonely abroad. I'm not here in Nigeria. BIGO is probably for them not me.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Rubyjade: 3:39pm On Sep 10, 2023
grin Na true na
sammyonal:
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Rubyjade: 3:40pm On Sep 10, 2023
Tire but you have to cut corners a lot to break even.
sammyonal:
u can always run a business in Nigeria u know. U will everly break even.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Obierika(m): 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2023
Basher8583:

No one is stopping you na. You can go and slave yourself away. Shebi na the exchange rate dey make una dey japa to do rubbish work.

You dey mind am?

1 Like

Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by ibechris(m): 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
FalseProphet1:
I have so many members in the abroad. And I'm very happy because they pay their tithes and offerings in dollars and Euros.

I see more of my members going to the abroad, I see myself becoming very rich.

This I have seen.

I won't call what u wrote as trash but it is absolutely irritating to see graduates use words like "in the abroad" is either u say "abroad and stop adding "in the" to it.

Now,go back read out what u wrote and how does it sound to ur ear?

If it sounds good to u so be it but stop writing nonsense.
Re: Japa: Impact On Friendships & Family by Nicols(m): 5:35pm On Feb 02
Pandar01:

Another lazy Nigerian blaming the government for his failure...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Thos can only be an Igbo man ...very hatefilled souls

Awww, such a poor little boy. Pele dear ....I can feel your pain.

Guys how do I explain to this miscreant that I am not the cause of his hunger and frustration?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Has Any Of You Dated Or Married To A Woman Who Is A Twin? / Should I End My Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.