Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,397 members, 7,830,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel (1275 Views)

Honda Civic 2007 Air Fuel Ration Sensor & Heater Oxygen Sensor Needed / Prices For Catalytic Converter And Windscreen / Catalytic Converter And Fuel Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 11:57am On Aug 28, 2023
As far as your exhaust manifold doesn’t have any leak. Absence of catalyst or oxygen sensor will not consume fuel.

accord v6 has 4 oxygen sensor and 3 catalyst.

But my accord only has 1 catalyst at the bottom. The two upper catalyst is missing.

Now 1 downstream oxygen sensor was bad.

I still manage to pull 17-18mpg city driving.

When my exhaust was leaking it was consuming fuel. But all this while I thought it was the catalyst. But since I went to fix the exhaust leak i was getting 18mpg with real liters of fuel not the fake from filling station.

I waited for the yellow light to come on. Drive to filling station and bought the original 3 gallon 12 liters. You can buy into container to be sure it’s actually original liters you pour inside.

When I drive and the yellow light come up. To my calculations its 17-18mpg. Despite absence of catalyst and 1 bad o2 sensor.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by dicksonadams(m): 12:16pm On Aug 28, 2023
nurey come and see oh...
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by nurey(m): 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2023
dicksonadams:
nurey come and see oh...

Without evidence, you go explain taya grin
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by HenryWilliams(m): 8:06pm On Aug 28, 2023
18miles per gallon.
28.8 kilometers per 4 liters(US gallon)
That's 7.2km/L for a 3.0L engine..
Hmm.

2 Likes

Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by 7bucklife: 8:06pm On Aug 28, 2023
You must be kidding. Those 2 elements are the major supplier of fuel to engine. Catalyst and 02 sensor. Your engine will be dumping additional fuel by 15% leading to poor gas mileage. If I'm lying take a towel and go to your muffler. Wet towel,early in the morning,use it to wipe the muffler. The result will be black sooth amon the exhaust. Dark black. 02 sensor and catalyst are doing team work .

2 Likes

Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by emy77: 8:51pm On Aug 28, 2023
AutoManual:
As far as your exhaust manifold doesn’t have any leak. Absence of catalyst or oxygen sensor will not consume fuel.

But my accord only has 1 catalyst at the bottom. The two upper catalyst is missing.

When my exhaust was leaking it was consuming fuel. But all this while I thought it was the catalyst. But since I went to fix the exhaust leak i was getting 18mpg with real liters of fuel not the fake from filling station.

I waited for the yellow light to come on. Drive to filling station and bought the original 3 gallon 12 liters. You can buy into container to be sure it’s actually original liters you pour inside.

When I drive and the yellow light come up. To my calculations its 17-18mpg. Despite absence of catalyst and 1 bad o2 sensor.

You are right. But it's not just any oxygen sensor. If your upstream oxygen sensor was bad, you will keep buying fuel like mad. But the downstream oxygen sensor and catalysts have little effect on the fuel consumption.

I have same accord, v6. I regularly do 290miles (460km) on a 60litre tank, city driving with no traffic.

1 Like

Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 11:05pm On Aug 28, 2023
emy77:

You are right. But it's not just any oxygen sensor. If your upstream oxygen sensor was bad, you will keep buying fuel like mad. But the downstream oxygen sensor and catalysts have little effect on the fuel consumption.

I have same accord, v6. I regularly do 290miles (460km) on a 60litre tank, city driving with no traffic.

I guess the downstream sensor after the catalyst is not important like that, that one is the efficiency of the catalyst reading. The main one is the upstream before the catalyst.

Used oxygen sensor they said 10k that why I didn't buy. and I wasn't really sure of the impact.

Form my observations, When my yellow 🟡 light come on I drive 3 miles to filling station then Added 3 gallons.

The yellow 🟡 light disappeared. I quickly reset my trip meter.

Then the yellow 🟡 came on at 50 exactly 50miles.

I still continue to drive the car for 10miles and parked it.

There was alot of ON and OFF on idles this one will consume some amount of fuel too.

This evening I bought 5litter in gallon and pour inside.

I start the car. To my shock the yellow 🟡 light is still on. Because I only added 10miles after it comes on.

It maybe that if the yellow 🟡 come on. For instance when you have 10L and you waste 3l from it. If you add 5l making 12L the yellow light will still show. Maybe if you have something much more in there before it will go.

I will need to experiment with this to be sure. Because this night own wan confused me why the yellow 🟡 light on after adding a gallon.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 11:06pm On Aug 28, 2023
emy77:

is your downstream oxygen sensor bad?
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 11:10pm On Aug 28, 2023
HenryWilliams:
18miles per gallon.
28.8 kilometers per 4 liters(US gallon)
That's 7.2km/L for a 3.0L engine..
Hmm.
consume low or too much?
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by emy77: 11:20pm On Aug 28, 2023
AutoManual:
is your downstream oxygen sensor bad?

I have a p0141, bank 1 sensor 2. Even though I plan to change it and see if the economy improves further.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 11:50pm On Aug 28, 2023
emy77:

I have a p0141, bank 1 sensor 2. Even though I plan to change it and see if the economy improves further.
I doubt if there will be improvement. If at all it will not be noticed.

Same with mine. Bank 1 sensor 2.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by nurey(m): 4:10am On Aug 29, 2023
AutoManual:
I doubt if there will be improvement. If at all it will not be noticed.

Same with mine. Bank 1 sensor 2.

The fuel level sender is affected by gravity so not the basis for calculating fuel economy. As your vehicle get inclined the fuel sender won't show true value. If you have been driving for years you will notice anomalies of reserve light coming on then going off, fuel guage increasing then decrease depending on angle of inclination.

For a true picture buy full tank, drive a certain distance then go to filling station and buy full tank then note down how much fuel the tank took against distance travelled, 3 instances of this will give you an idea of your mpg.

Catalyst is not about fuel economy but converting harmful gases to mild gases before been pushed out from the exhaust, to even increase good mpg people remove catalyst and weld straight pipe to increase back push.

But you see those A/F sensor and O2 sensor bolted on the exhaust path, if they are faulty, your vehicle go dey drink fuel like hippopotamus. The dreaded P1157, P0141, P0300 to P0304 random cylinder misfire etc.

You may still be getting good mpg in city if you have a light foot but highway anything from 3rpm upwards your fuel go dey fly fly.

3 Likes

Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by fineboynl(m): 2:46pm On Aug 29, 2023
nurey:

The fuel level sender is affected by gravity so not the basis for calculating fuel economy. As your vehicle get inclined the fuel sender won't show true value. If you have been driving for years you will notice anomalies of reserve light coming on then going off, fuel guage increasing then decrease depending on angle of inclination.

For a true picture buy full tank, drive a certain distance then go to filling station and buy full tank then note down how much fuel the tank took against distance travelled, 3 instances of this will give you an idea of your mpg.

Catalyst is not about fuel economy but converting harmful gases to mild gases before been pushed out from the exhaust, to even increase good mpg people remove catalyst and weld straight pipe to increase back push.

But you see those A/F sensor and O2 sensor bolted on the exhaust path, if they are faulty, your vehicle go dey drink fuel like hippopotamus. The dreaded P1157, P0141, P0300 to P0304 random cylinder misfire etc.

You may still be getting good mpg in city if you have a light foot but highway anything from 3rpm upwards your fuel go dey fly fly.

Umm. Full a tank for this tinubu government?
The yellow light might not be accurate but it very close to an idea states. Even if it below that let say 15miles its fair enough for Old car with missing components and bad fuel.

ok but what is the work of the downstream oxygen sensor? After the catalyst?

See attached picture. It has nothing to do with fuel.

Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 1:20pm On Aug 31, 2023
Update.

I there was a total of 60 miles. When i drove it yesterday to filling station. I added 1.5 miles that 61.5 miles. I bought fuel N4000 @610 it was 6.5 fake litters. From my previous observations of that filling station 6L is 5L.

So i will just assume it was 5.5 litters. I was surprised the way the gauge went up it crossing quarter of the gauge.

The car is now 76 miles. That means i added 16 miles. I will just wait again until the yellow light come on and check the miles by than i will know the actual rate.

Total fuel added 22 real litters. Currently 76 miles. Waiting till the yellow light will come on.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by Conner44: 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2023
2003-2007 Honda Accords have a total fuel tank capacity of 17 gallons (65 Liters) and of that total amount of fuel it keeps a reserve tank capacity of 4 gallons (15 Liters)
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 4:42pm On Sep 03, 2023
I got 90 miles from 23L
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by Elxandre(m): 12:38am On Sep 05, 2023
AutoManual:

Is 18mpg really good for a sedan?
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by Elxandre(m): 12:49am On Sep 05, 2023
My Civic 08 gets just about 400km on full tank.
Mechanic changed the fuel pump filter, but it has done nothing. He scanned too, brought nothing.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by dicksonadams(m): 2:36am On Sep 05, 2023
Elxandre:
Mechanic changed the fuel pump filter, but it has done nothing. He scanned too, brought nothing.
check your fuel trim numbers
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by Elxandre(m): 2:42am On Sep 05, 2023
dicksonadams:
check your fuel trim numbers
What does that mean bro?
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 8:39am On Sep 05, 2023
Elxandre:
2008/12 Honda Civic fuel consumption in city - 9.7 l/100km, highway fuel economy - 5.5 l/100km. Fuel tank capacity is 50 litres or 13.21 gallons, when you car shows yellow light you still have about 10L.

50L is 500km at most. In your case consider poor fuel, aging and reservoir in your tank, you can’t empty the full tank. So let say 40l might be usable. 400km is not bad afterall.
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 8:42am On Sep 05, 2023
Elxandre:

Is 18mpg really good for a sedan?
yes for v6 3.0L
Re: Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel by AutoManual: 8:46am On Sep 05, 2023
Elxandre:

What does that mean bro?
some cars have mpg meter displaying the numbers. I doubt if its on your civic

(1) (Reply)

Crazy Accident After Thirdmainland Bridge / Need To Rebuild My Golf 4 To New Car( Auto). / Amazing Things About 2017 Mercedes-benz's E-class 300 4matics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.