Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country (2386 Views)

Nigerians Living In Durban South Africa Vow To Fight Back, Battle Line Drawn / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country / Ghanaians Comment On Their Country's Plan On Letting Nigeria Mint Their Currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by wildwater: 9:44am On Oct 15, 2011
angryInterview translation of a Nigerian woman, living in Austria, about Nigeria: Guys and Girls, I translate this for morning laughter and annoyance all over your country:

http://derstandard.at/1317019929226/Afrika-Wenn-Kinder-als-Hexen-verfolgt-werden#forumstart

Title: When Children are persecuted as witches

Joana Adesuwa Reiterer about rituals and witch villages and how she has been thrown out as a 16 year old girl
Women and children are excluded, tortured and burned because people summon they are witches, only in Nigeria there live 5.000 girls and children in the streets banned and branded als witches,

I just translate the part of it, because the Interview in German is very long, in one of Austria´s top newspapers. The girl is getting rich on telling stories, and Nigeria got perfect advertisment again for being a country of midages in Europe. Where the hell is your embassy? Those idiots do nothing but giving stupid interviews themselves with titles such as "Not all Nigerians are drug dealers", kick them out for doing nothing for your countries image here! angry
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 15, 2011
@Wildwater,

Are you saying these things do not happen or, at best, should be swept under the carpet?

[img]http://images.derstandard.at/t/12/2011/10/11/1317075566238.jpg[/img]

Joana Adesuwa Reiterer Austreibungsrituale about grotesque, witch villages and how they were violated as a 16-year-old

Women and children are being expelled, tortured and burned, because one assumes that they are witches. What sounds like a historical report from the European Middle Ages happens every day in Africa. Nigeria alone in 5,000 women and children living on the streets, sold and branded as a witch. Joana Adesuwa Reiterer was only 16 years old when her father cast her out. You should have a spell on him and his business ruined his guilt.

Adesuwa Reiterer was by him brought to Juju priestesses and Whit-church pastors who wanted to drive out the witches with grotesque rituals forces. So the woman seven days without food and locked in her room had to endure drinking or foul-smelling liquids. She fled. First, to Benin and then by her first husband Tony Austria. But even this soon made her witch powers responsible for his failure. Together they flew back to Nigeria, therefore, where Adesuwa had to undergo Reiterer an even more intensive seven-day ritual, where she was constantly put on drugs.

Travel into the past
It was followed by the separation and a new beginning with her current husband book now in Vienna, where she also founded the association "EXIT", which helps victims of human trafficking. 2010 she returned with a film team to Nigeria to go to for a documentary on the trail. She met her father again, who once reviled as a witch and learned affected women and children know that the same fate as befell. Add to witch villages, the branded and protected persons, in a juju priest and Pentecostal churches, she realized that she "is not destiny alone" with her. From these impressions, her book was "child witches".

derStandard.at: You write in your book again and again by the longing for Africa, especially Nigeria. Is this yearning after your research trip still available?

Joana Adesuwa Reiterer: Yes, that's her. But now it's already regulated. I was in Nigeria in November 2010 and this year in June. My brothers, sister and my mother but I miss very much - and the food. In Vienna you get any good African food.

derStandard.at: In one chapter you mention that in rural areas are up to 90 percent of all litigations witch trials. Where did you get those numbers? Did that surprise you?

Adesuwa Reiterer: I have this percentage of a UNHCR report dated January 2011 titled " Breaking the Spell: responding to witchcraft accusations against children "(: Responding to the accusations against witches dt children break the spell). Of course I was also surprised by the numbers, but rather by the fact that there are court cases against alleged witches. But then I saw an Al-Jazeera report, which was declared in the. Since there are no social services for the accused, is the only way to protect them from the village community, a prison sentence. People would kill the alleged witch else. I've known penalties of up to three years. I've also heard of prison guards who do not believe in magic and sorcery, and these women are then taken home to protect them.

derStandard.at: Have you considered during your research trip to Africa to help locally?

Adesuwa Reiterer: A[b]s the meeting was with my father before me was not clear what to do. So if I stay in Nigeria or to go back to Austria. But having met the affected people and seen things this bad, I knew that I must act. Therefore I have the "Project Precious" was launched, to provide the educational work in Africa. Currently, we are also talking with Nollywood (the film industry in Nigeria, ed), to produce a series, which shows that this witch thing is complete nonsense.[/b] We also want to collect donations for the witches' villages, which are repudiated adults and children shelter.

derStandard.at: In addition to all the terrible things you have experienced and seen, there were also wonderful experiences during your trip?

Adesuwa Reiterer: The best thing was actually to visit these villages and witches to see that there are people who offer to protect victims. It was also nice to see that women, despite their history, yet have such a zest for life and are thankful to live. The generally positive outlook on life is in Nigeria than in Austria. For us to be upset about late trains. In Nigeria, we are pleased that we survived.
  -- cont/d http://derstandard.at/1317019929226/Afrika-Wenn-Kinder-als-Hexen-verfolgt-werden#forumstart

Clearly we have a sister here who is not caught up in the paralysis of analysis, despite an ambivalent relationship with her homeland.

Your headline, comrade, is misleading, as it clearly sets out to denigrate an individual forced into migration by some rather unsavoury circumstances. The question is why?
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by wildwater: 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2011
As far as I got to know Nigeria, it may happen in some low level educational part of the country, but not, as the article says, be "standard" in Nigeria. And as you say, you have a sister that has such an "ambivalent" relationship to her country, that she is not ashamed to ruin it´s reputation by talking rubbish like that. I have been to your country and I am married to a Nigerian, I never saw such things happening there on my trips or heared about it in those parts of your country I visited. P.S: Congratulations to your translation
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 15, 2011
wildwater:

As far as I got to know Nigeria, it may happen in some low level educational part of the country, but not, as the article says, be "standard" in Nigeria. And as you say, you have a sister that has such an "ambivalent" relationship to her country, that she is not ashamed to ruin it´s reputation by talking rubbish like that. I have been to your country and I am married to a Nigerian, I never saw such things happening there on my trips or heared about it in those parts of your country I visited. P.S: Congratulations to your translation

Congratulations for the translation goes to google@wildwater (the google chrome browser offers this option)

Far from me to sweep matters which relate to the welfare of a certain section of society under the rug, simply because it is convenient or the easier thing to do.

I take it you are of European origin and probably mean well, so please respect our right to have these difficult conversations without clamouring for a lower set of standards from the vantage point of an in-law grin

An immoral father-in-law cannot advise his children well -- African saying

Child Witches Of Nigeria - Nairaland
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-195344.0.html
Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-616501.0.html
Author Topic: Akwa Ibom State - Child Witches Story Revisited
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-330001.0.html
Effects Of Christian Evangelism In Africa: More Child Witches
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-118745.0.html
Cnn Condemns Pastor Helen Ukpabio For Attacking Child Witches
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504355.0.html
Torture And Death Of Child 'witches' In Nigeria (akwa-ibom
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-99643.0.html
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by BlackLibya: 5:10am On Oct 19, 2011
This is what happens when you force an outside religion on people, and force them to abandon their traditional ways.

In Brazil and Haiti, African spirituality is held in high esteem, and the religions are peaceful. In West Africa, the only time people mention African spirituality is in a negative sense, always witches and burning people and spells and whatever.
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by wildwater: 7:58am On Oct 19, 2011
I agree with that. I am just angry, because in European Newspapers there are always just articles like that forced, where negative Elements of African culture are published. Even if such things happen, which is a shame and just a sign of fear and low education of narrow minded people for me, I do not think it is proper for a Nigerian woman living abroad generalizing this on her country, as if it would be daily´s happening like witch prosecution in Europe 500 years ago. It ought to be the job of Nigerian people abroad to improve the image of their country, not to put it down.
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by BlackLibya: 8:53pm On Oct 19, 2011
in European Newspapers there are always just articles like that forced, where negative Elements of African culture are published

That's true, but look at how Africans react. They destroy more and more of their traditional culture in favor of European culture, shunning their compatriots who refuse to follow suit. Imo, this causes fragmentation of the traditions, and as only the ignorant people continue to practice the fragments they remember, it becomes corrupted in the face of foreign cultural imperialism.

It would stop if Africans reacted, just like the baby factories, i know there have to baby factories in places like China and India, particularly China where they have companies that literally enslave entire families and they never leave the factory. Do you hear about it? No.

This woman was abused though, that's why she spoke out. I know its embarassing, but wouldnt u want to be heard?
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by sil22: 11:37am On Nov 04, 2011
I wanted to reply this post earlier but decided to read the book "Hexen Kind" first, which of course was  the best thing to do before dropping frustrating and misleading  post like "How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country".
Thanks @eGuerrilla and i am happy to know that i am not the only one who sees things in a more diverse way.
After reading the book, i am so proud of migrants who, not regarding their comfort in Europe would ignore the tragedies happening worldwide, especially in their country of origin.
Reading your comment @wildwater, it is obvious that your fear of discrimination of migrants, especially Nigerians has gone beyond your own control. In Europe, there are different groups with different opinions, which is good on one side but absurd on the other. The right-siders who portray all forms of racism have been very successful. One of their basic success is to create a panic and hysteria among migrant and their so-called friends and relatives, that they aren't bold enough to publicly discuss issues affecting them. Everything negative concerning migrants has to be swept under the rug. Nonsense! If you see migrants as an individual with diversity and worth respecting them, it is at their best interest to openly discuss such issues, especially abroad. How will change come if everything is swept under the rug like Wildwater will prefer? Or do you think, this unbalanced south-north relationship should go on forever?
@wildwater: Do you claim that Ms. Reiterers research and books are false? Then prove otherwise, as even Nairaland.com has countless reports on the issue of with-hunting and human trafficking. I expect also that the issues of racism, stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination should be tackled. There are also Nigerians abroad doing that. This diversity makes migrants intelligent. There are many positive reports about Nigerian abroad, just search for them. I encourage that there should be more positive reports in the future. One step would be to tell your Nigerian husband to work harder in portraying a positive image about his country and go public with it.
Coming back to the book, Hexen Kind, it is recommendable. Unbelievable how the global economical exploitation of African countries has  left it harsh effects. Witch hunting happened in Europe and there are still anti-human rights exorcism. this phenomenon happens currently in Latin America, eastern Europe and in Asia too, so do not make this a Nigerian issue. like someone commented on "derstandard" article online, the fact that Ms. Reiterer is Nigerian and talks about these controversial issues is unchangeable. Why not appreciate the positive aspect that Nigerians too  are courageous. There are have human rights activist and people who want change in Nigeria or shouldn't there be. if wildwater is another opinion, then that is discrimination!
Anyway, the book also outlines this devastating human rights violation in other African country. I guess it is time to support the fight for human rights and stand up.
Ah b4 i forget, there is another group of individuals living in Europe, they call themselves friends of migrants. Often European women married to migrants are such. Most of them, i would not generalize, are very comfortable with the "Savior syndrome" to have married eg. a Nigeria asylum seeker and thereby made it possible for him to get a residential and/or working permit. such would relent anything that is said negatively about their spouses country without taking a closer look. Diversity means enlightenment and i urge wildwaters and her kind, to read the book before causing alarm! wink
Also claiming Ms. Reiterers engagement is money-driven . bizarre. wondering how much money one can make. But if it is that much, then isn't it great to do something good and also earn money from it? After all most rich individuals out there, earn theirs from violating others rights.
If you were so engaged in preserving the image of Nigeria, then you would have taking time to translate the interview properly, without insulting the Nigerian embassy.
Thinking of how long you stayed in Nigeria and how guided your trip was, you were not on a research trip i guess?
@blacklybia - it si true about the fact that these happens when you force a religion on people. It is also true that this is basically a result of less perspective and poverty also caused by ones greed and western exploitation of affected countries.
Quoting you "This woman was abused though, that's why she spoke out. I know its embarrassing, but wouldn't u want to be heard?" you are right. she spoke out. How many dares to speak out? Who will give these people a voice?
I hope Ms. Reiterer gets several awards for her engagement.
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by Amujale(m): 7:05am On Nov 07, 2011
Desperation to sell a story, if you have nothing better to do why not try prostitution at least that only affects two people not milions of people.

Obviously, it has to be someone with no home training whatsover, people that write tragedy often choice outside from their homeland NOT us; for the love of money we will attempt to curse our own peers.

Back to sender useless girl, kettle calling pot black. If it was up to me, you wont sell epini of those degrading books
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by Horus(m): 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2011
BlackLibya:

This is what happens when you force an outside religion on people, and force them to abandon their traditional ways.

In Brazil and Haiti, African spirituality is held in high esteem, and the religions are peaceful. In West Africa, the only time people mention African spirituality is in a negative sense, always witches and burning people and spells and whatever.

I agree with what you said, and when an european is using the word witch, for him a witch doctor is a European's way of deceiving you into thinking that your village healer (or botanist) who had the cures was some kind of demon, devil worshipper, or bad person.
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by BootyOnMe: 12:44am On Nov 09, 2011
Europe, Nigeria. . .no difference.
The continent/country of babalawos! grin
Full of fetish, UGLY goons! cry
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by Nayah(f): 11:05am On Nov 09, 2011
wildwater:

I agree with that. I am just angry, because in European Newspapers there are always just articles like that forced, where negative Elements of African culture are published. Even if such things happen, which is a shame and just a sign of fear and low education of narrow minded people for me, I do not think it is proper for a Nigerian woman living abroad generalizing this on her country, as if it would be daily´s happening like witch prosecution in Europe 500 years ago. It ought to be the job of Nigerian people abroad to improve the image of their country, not to put it down.

Hello everyone, you might be right on that brother but to be honest sometimes we Africans give them opportunities to talk negatively about us and our culture
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by BlackLibya: 3:36am On Nov 10, 2011
This woman violates herself everyday with that wig. undecided
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2011
BootyOnMe:

Europe, Nigeria. . .no difference.
The continent/country of babalawos! grin
Full of fetish, UGLY goons! cry
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by redsun(m): 9:10pm On Nov 12, 2011
Oh yeah!Do you think you have a repution?The repution of africa in the west is misery and lack,the people that beg.
Re: How Nigerians Living In Europe Ruin The Reputation Of Their Country by redsun(m): 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2011
Fork what the west think.It is what u think that matters and how u go about it.

(1) (Reply)

Very Graphic Photos Of Bloody Clash Between Two Sects / Why North Korea Won’t Last Even Few Days In A War With U.s? / What If The Jews Had Landed In Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.