Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,540 members, 7,854,329 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 02:45 PM

My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff (20375 Views)

9 Radio Bayelsa Staff Suspended In Wake Of Attack On Station / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Ugandan Court Clerk Suspended For Dressing Too "Sexy" (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by hobat4cash(m): 3:53pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:
Nairalanders please is it fair for a mother to suspend her own daughter for fighting her staff?

My friend's mother owns a large company with lots of staff, so she recently completed her nysc program and waiting to be called up for a job so she had to put up at her mum's company as an intern and she was doing her job well to see things done.

Most of the staff do not like to take instructions from her and this has resulted to altercations with most of them, they keep reporting to her mum till a meeting was finally called.

The staff seems to have connived against her and without even bothering to hear her side of the story her mum said she knows what she can do and she won't allow her to cause problems in her company, so she immediately suspended her and ask her to leave and go home.

The staff were happy with this judgement and some made some snide remarks while she was leaving.

This thing has really troubled her recently and she's thinking maybe her mom doesn't like her as she stated that if it were her brother she won't give such judgement.

Was she wrong in trying to put things in order which resulted to most of those fights with the staff?

Was the mum right to have passed such kind of judgement before her staff ?

My friend's mom told her to go resume next week on the condition that she'll behave well but my friend told her mum she's not stepping foot in her company again.

Nairalanders please without being biased who is at fault here?
All I can say is that you will never get a good advice here because most people are very bitter and inherently wicked. They will automatically assume that the girl is to blame because she is the daughter of the CEO. In a case between the rich and the poor, the poor will always be guiltless in the court of popular opinion, hence, you go explain tire no evidence. The fact that the mom refused her to state her own side of the story tells me that maybe she doesn't have a very good relationship with the mom. Tell your friend to pick herself up and look to continue her internship somewhere else to avoid future squabbles with her mom, it's not worth it.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Ayoade19(m): 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2023
Your friend's mom, I thought you said you're a grandma?

IconicR:
Nairalanders please is it fair for a mother to suspend her own daughter for fighting her staff?

My friend's mother owns a large company with lots of staff, so she recently completed her nysc program and waiting to be called up for a job so she had to put up at her mum's company as an intern and she was doing her job well to see things done.

Most of the staff do not like to take instructions from her and this has resulted to altercations with most of them, they keep reporting to her mum till a meeting was finally called.

The staff seems to have connived against her and without even bothering to hear her side of the story her mum said she knows what she can do and she won't allow her to cause problems in her company, so she immediately suspended her and ask her to leave and go home.

The staff were happy with this judgement and some made some snide remarks while she was leaving.

This thing has really troubled her recently and she's thinking maybe her mom doesn't like her as she stated that if it were her brother she won't give such judgement.

Was she wrong in trying to put things in order which resulted to most of those fights with the staff?

My friend's mom told her to go resume next week on the condition that she'll behave well but my friend told her mum she's not stepping foot in her company again.

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2023
hobat4cash:

All I can say is that you will never get a good advice here because most people are very bitter and inherently wicked. They will automatically assume that the girl is to blame because she is the daughter of the CEO. In a case between the rich and the poor, the poor will always be guiltless in the court of popular opinion, hence, you go explain tire no evidence. The fact that the mom refused her to state her own side of the story tells me that maybe she doesn't have a very good relationship with the mom. Tell your friend to pick herself up and look to continue her internship somewhere else to avoid future squabbles with her mom, it's not worth it.
Thank you for this, I'm sure you are not Nigerian
The way they left the question just to be scolding my friend is a call for concern
If her mum had done the scolding secretly after that meeting then I'm sure I wouldn't have any need for this topic.
Thank you on behalf of my friend
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by benjida: 4:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
Absolutely wrong for the mum to do that in front of the staff. This should have been handled in private.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
Yep, she didn't do things the right way, she could've followed proper procedures by going straight to her mother and reported her suspicions instead of acting like a boss.

Because no one in any workplace takes interns seriously, they're still rookies and the best thing to do when you're in that situation is to know your place as an intern until you're on the same level as the others.

It's only right that every incompetent employee be scolded in front of his or her colleagues, so that they'll dare not repeat the same mistakes... She may be her mother at home, but at work she's her boss and whatever she says, goes.

She mustn't take what happened at work personal, it's just business after all.
IconicR:
Ok but she was just concerned maybe she wasn't doing it the right way.
But the public scolding isn't good as well, those staff may take advantage of it.
Anyways it is what it is sha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by enemyofprogress: 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2023
Liar! Op when you're ready to tell the truth that you were the one suspended, come back and let's talk
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2023
benjida:
Absolutely wrong for the mum to do that in front of the staff. This should have been handled in private.
Thank you
You are seeing things differently which is good
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by MarketDispatch: 4:11pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

here?

She went as an intern to learn, not as a boss to give instructions.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by adebaba5: 4:20pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:
I dislike that people don't consider the emotional impact a certain decision has on a child
I don't support her kind of judgement before those staff, you need to see their happy faces with snide remarks
I think my friend's mom is harsh
@the bolded shows you're the "friend" in question because how would you have seen their happy faces if you were not there

2 Likes

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by KingLennon(m): 4:22pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:
I said my friend's mom
We will start a petition to also remove you from here. You and wahala na 5 and 6 sad
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by ACE1010: 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2023
silvoclaira:
cheesy Lies. Its you!
Its your mum and you. Your mum is a smarter one. She just saved her company from your poison.
(we go chase you OP from Nairaland)

HURRAY! Let's join the company staffs to celebrate the rubbing of sh!t on the OP's face. Thats why you are always here in Nairaland, jobless typing BS
BTW your mum likes you, but she has to save the company from your troubles wink
You caught her pant down πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by vikstandon(m): 4:50pm On Aug 31, 2023
If you want your company to outlive you, you must run it without sentiment. Everything must be done professionally.

If your Child is not well behaved, you don't bring him/her in. You give everyone in your employ fair and same treatment.

Then you see your company get to heights you never imagined.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by ACE1010: 4:51pm On Aug 31, 2023
Women with their troubles in this world!!!
If it were men, things will be peaceful. Just assume the whole scenario to be men, you wouldn't hear any squabble. Fear women bro grin grin grin grin
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by ACE1010: 4:53pm On Aug 31, 2023
silvoclaira:
Hahaha its you that your mum chased home for constituting nuisance in her place of work. Remain seun to chase you from NairaLand
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by vikstandon(m): 4:55pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:
Ok but she was just concerned maybe she wasn't doing it the right way.
But the public scolding isn't good as well, those staff may take advantage of it.
Anyways it is what it is sha.

Lies! There is something one would do that you need to correct and scold immediately.

You are that person you presented.
Change and save your face. I like your Mum.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

Agbero behaviour. Obviously supports agbero party too
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by freeman67: 5:21pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

Sometimes people don't see things from same lense. That said, your friend should be aware that experience matters and really counts.

1. You do not expect to resume work and start bossing everyone around in the name of trying to put 'things in order' without first of understanding your position and role in that company other than I am the bosses daughter.

2. She is expecting to get a job other than this particular one and was going to work in another environment where her mom does not call the shots. She needs to learn how to work with People.

3. Everybody must not like you, but if everybody hate you then something is not right. The whole of the staff can not be rejoicing and making snide remarks if she is at least respectful while doing her job. Respect begets respect.

4. As a daughter of the CEO that has unfettered access to her, She was supposed to consult with and seek guidance from her on issues as they come up. This is because, her personal way of resolving issues might be different from that of the company and maybe considered too rigid. She allowed all other staff to pile up issues/complaints against her and she was just expecting her mother to side her..Just like that. No, issues at work place are not judge based on familiarities and relationship but on rules.

5. There is no sign of hate here. It's more of though love and just about teaching her how to accommodate and build a healthy working relationship with other staff even if there are her subordinates. Also, she has to wait for her brother to be placed in same circumstance and act in the same way to see her mom's decision before she can come up with the rhetoric of 'she loves him more than me.'

Until then, I feel her mum is just teaching her how to be level headed so that she won't frustrate and sack the workers for no just course if she assumes the CEO tomorrow. Abeg make she use the weekend think of her actions so far, and see where she could have done better. Let her also not forget to go with an apology letter. She should relax her shoulder pad first, make she learn and earn respect before she go begin form boss.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Stedakudz: 5:23pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

The mother dey protect her daughter,you should have asked her what she and her mother talked about when they got home or they don't have any talking relationship with each other ni
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by FILEBE(m): 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

The best people to receive advice from are people that it hasn't happened to and people that it has happened to.

People that it hasn't happened to will try to imagine the situation and give their advice as a 3rd party. These advices are usually right and likely exaggerated.

The other type of advice, from people it has happened to. These advices will give you truthful experience of how they felt and what they could have done better.

You, who seek advice will them have to be patient enough to decide on which to follow.

Had similar experience, I Scolded the relative instead. It does hurt the relative but I knew what I was doing . I was going to teach a lesson on tolerance . Also, I expected the relative to report first to me before taking actions .

So, your friend's mother might not actually dislike her child, infact it could be the reverse. Your friend should also calm down and try yo understand her mother . We always reason with emotions which could be misleading most times

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Ate247(m): 5:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

You stated she's an intern. You can't be an intern and have authority over other seniors colleague even if your mom is the owner of the company. You are there to learn. If you see wrong doing, your only job is to report the actual case and not add sugar. Your mom has a manager that can address that. Learn before your lead.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by ffo(m): 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
Beremx:
grin I can bet with my left breast that you're the one involved and not your friend. You don carry your wahala for nairaland go display for your mama company. Stick to nairaland and leave mama company alone
Good for you grin grin

why left and not right?
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by sonofthunder: 6:43pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

1. Did you seek your mum's approval before making changes to things in her company?

2. Do you think an intern should be instructing experienced professionals how to work? Or what's the nature of the said work?
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by juri: 6:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

1. Your friend's mistake was attempting to correct the perceived wrongs she noticed by doing it herself. She should have privately informed the mother of this back stage and the mother should be left with the decision on how best to handle things based on the information available to her. You said it yourself that she was an intern, so she is not in the position to give directions. What she was doing is even puting herself in danger. Never underestimate the length people can go. Especially when it comes to money. Even in the government ministries and agencies, I have heard stories of colleagues ganging up against one of their own who was trying to 'block their way' or 'put sand in their garry'.

2. What your friend's mother did is like parents who discipline their children in front of strangers. It is not good at all in developing a child's confidence especially in front of such a stranger who may even be worse in character than the child in question. Like your friend, the mother should have handled what she did to her daughter back stage.

3A. However, this incidence may even be a symptom of something bigger. That there are issues in the mother child relationship between your friend and her mother that has been reflected/ played out by virtue of this incidence. Trust issues, Over Familiarity etc. I would ordinarily expect a mother to take her child's warning seriously especially when it has to do with her being cheated by her employees because that should ordinarily come from a position of concern and not just employer employee relationship alone. Because, let's face it, almost always, nobody can ever love you like your family.

3B. The other symptom of something much bigger here is that the working environment of the company involved may be a toxic one where somebody has to be careful of the staff and watch ones back.

4. Wether your friend continues to work there or not in light of what has happened should largely depend on addressing the concerns in paragraphs 3A above. But wether she likes it or not, directly or indirectly, she will always be a part of that establishment.

5. The above is predicated on the assumptions that there was in deed and in fact infractions on the part of the employees designed to steal defraud their boss. It would have helped if we understood what those infractions were though.

Bottom line remains that it will not be in the place of an intern to direct or make corrections over wrongs within that establishment. Best will be simply to report to the mother. The mother also should have handled the issue with your friend back stage. Family and business I understand can have it's own issues but if and when properly managed, such dynamics can be very valuable.

1 Like

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by phemmyfour: 6:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

That's a good mum

A child loves by the parents, they chastised
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by MightySparrow: 7:14pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:
Answer the questions? Will you pass such judgement on your own child before your staff

Yes. Business is business.
The woman had been running her business quite well before the intrusion of the girl. Is she now a boss or employed?

What if the person she fought is the key person in the company?

The mum may be tolerating the staff's excesses because the gains outweighs the excesses..

The young girl has to learn first before making changes.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Cyberblue(m): 10:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
I feel there's more to this story and your friend is not sharing. Your so called friend wants to put things right within few months she got to a company that has been running smoothly for years without her? I'm not sure she really wants to put things right. It's seems she's the problem, because why will everyone at the company hate her for no reason?

Try tell your friend to reflect on her life and make changes.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by donbenie(m): 10:25pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:
I said my friend's mom
This is an extremely one sided story..
And moreover your friend's Mom knows her daughter and what she can do..
Like she said,if it is her brother the Mother would have behaved differently..
That is the reason why character matters..
I know my siblings and what each and everyone of them is capable of..
If I hear stories,I don't need a lot to know whether or not they are capable of it.
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by Slynation(m): 10:28pm On Aug 31, 2023
IconicR:

The company has been going well for years without problem until one spoilt brat came along because she feels her mom owes the company she can talk to people twice her age anyhow...!!

Tell your friend that I said she's very stupid...!!
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by 13br: 4:05am On Sep 01, 2023
DenreleDave:

Haaaaaaa left breast grin grin grin grin kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Denreledave barawo
Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by gabbytabby: 6:39am On Sep 01, 2023
Any new ideas she has she needs to run it through her mum first.

IconicR:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend's Mother Suspended Her From Her Company For Fighting Her Staff by godofuck231: 9:55am On Sep 01, 2023
IconicR:
If you people bring your biased comment here because I dislike obi then I'll give it back to you, I don't have that patience to ignore you silly losers.
Did anyone tell you I caused obi's failure?
Oniro oshi
your mum must have missed the pole , coup de tΓ©te

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Globacom Sacks 54 Engineers / What Do You Really Love to Do? / Julius Berger Sacks 120 Staff Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.