Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil (4573 Views)

Ash Vs Evil Dead Official Thread / My Short Film Script- EVIL GENIUS / Evil Dead 2013 Full Movie Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by rgp922: 10:26pm On Oct 15, 2011
Why do nollywood movie always display IFA as bad and Christianity good? Shouldnt it be the Nigerian propaganda machine like hollywood? Is it because of our low IQ or inferiority complex that we are displaying our culture as bad?
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by igbo2011(m): 10:31pm On Oct 15, 2011
We are mentally enslaved. We need to ban Christianity if not ban then depict Jesus in his true look. Also adam and Eeve in their true version. We shouldn´t look up to white men. We are the orignal humans.
We also need to know our true history and the unbiased news. Like here: http://www.conelle.net/home.htm
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by rgp922: 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2011
igbo2011:

We are mentally enslaved. We need to ban Christianity if not ban then depict Jesus in his true look. Also adam and Eeve in their true version. We shouldn´t look up to white men. We are the orignal humans.
We also need to know our true history and the unbiased news. Like here: http://www.conelle.net/home.htm

Spot on brother. We're running out of time. Nollywood got the power to end the slave mentality, but they're not doing anything about it. The Nigerian government should be using Nollywood as a propaganda machine against our enemies.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by igbo2011(m): 11:25pm On Oct 15, 2011
rgp922:

Spot on brother. We're running out of time. Nollywood got the power to end the slave mentality, but they're not doing anything about it. The Nigerian government should be using Nollywood as a propaganda machine against our enemies.

Not only Nollywood but also the news, the media. We need to hae great African culture. We should stop wearing suits and start wearing Nigerian traditional attire. Not only in Nigeria but all over the world. This will give us a great identity. A cultural revolution.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by edogirl2: 11:42pm On Oct 15, 2011
i've prob seen less than 5 'nollywood' films in total, so some might say - probably rightly - that i'm not in a position to make a serious comment. but, it's either i never seem to have the time, but it's more likely that most are so bad - my view - that i can't be bothered with them. i find yoruba films funnier, and i'm fascinated to see the cultural stuff - most of which are clearly embelished and distorted, but when i have the time, i watch them. that's not to say their quality is prob not worse compared to d nollywood stuffs, but the cultural stuff and the way of life portrayed can be quite funny. i disagree with d 'ban xtianity' commentary. whats that about?
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by jason123: 11:49pm On Oct 15, 2011
rgp922:

Why do nollywood movie always display IFA as bad and Christianity good? Shouldnt it be the Nigerian propaganda machine like hollywood? Is it because of our low IQ or inferiority complex that we are displaying our culture as bad?

I can't disagree with you but do we have a choice? For them to pass their message across Nigeria and Africa, they need to speak and act like "The English" so as not to come off too culturally strong which might lead to insecurities unlike Yoruba movies. That is why nollywood "English" movies have a wide range of costumers and the Yoruba ones are usually bought by Yorubas and "Yorubas" inclined or "connected" people (as in, people that understand their POV like Edos, Itsekiris, Benin rep, Togo etc).
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by asha80(m): 11:54pm On Oct 15, 2011
jason123:

I can't disagree with you but do we have a choice? For them to pass their message across Nigeria and Africa, they need to speak and act like "The English" so as not to come off too culturally strong which might lead to insecurities unlike Yoruba movies. That is why nollywood "English" movies have a wide range of costumers and the Yoruba ones are usually bought by Yorubas and "Yorubas" inclined or "connected" people (as in, people that understand their POV like Edos, Itsekiris, Benin rep, Togo etc).

the poster is even talking a bit more about yoruba movies not even the english ones.did you not see that he wrote IFA?which groups practice IFA?
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by igbo2011(m): 12:23am On Oct 16, 2011
edo.girl:

i've prob seen less than 5 'nollywood' films in total, so some might say - probably rightly - that i'm not in a position to make a serious comment. but, it's either i never seem to have the time, but it's more likely that most are so bad - my view - that i can't be bothered with them. i find yoruba films funnier, and i'm fascinated to see the cultural stuff - most of which are clearly embelished and distorted, but when i have the time, i watch them. that's not to say their quality is prob not worse compared to d nollywood stuffs, but the cultural stuff and the way of life portrayed can be quite funny. i disagree with d 'ban xtianity' commentary. whats that about?

Instead of building schools and hospitals people are building churches. It is a damn shame, churches are now a busines to get people rich. Pastors make milions and the average Nigerian is poor. Missionaries come to teach blacks to hate their culture. Just like in Things Fall Apart. It created a divide and conquer for Africa (boko Haram). People take religion too seriously. People pray ALL day and they don´t get anything done.

GOD DOESN´T DO ANYTHING!!! YOU DO EVERYTHING!!! Stop praying and fix your problems. Stop waiting for a man to come down and take you to heaven.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by edogirl2: 12:32am On Oct 16, 2011
he referred to 'nollywood,' so i assume he meant nigerian english films as opposed to local-dialect films. perhaps they are all part of 'nollywood.' you could be right that his grouse is with yoruba films. in all the yoruba films i've seen, the power of christ always triumph over the 'babalawo' for example. as a xtian, i'm comfortable with that arrangement. any film that tampers with that established order will not sell. that's the reality.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by rgp922: 4:58pm On Oct 16, 2011
edo.girl:

he referred to 'nollywood,' so i assume he meant Nigerian English films as opposed to local-dialect films. perhaps they are all part of 'nollywood.'                                                                                       you could be right that his grouse is with Yoruba films. in all the Yoruba films I've seen, the power of Christ always triumph over the 'babalawo' for example. as a xtian, I'm comfortable with that arrangement. any film that tampers with that established order will not sell. that's the reality.   

Why are you comfortable with that? may i ask you what Christianity or Islam has done for Nigeria? People living in western part of Nigeria had it better before total colonization. They were smarter. After we adopt that Abraham religion has thing go wrong for us.

I'm not only talking Yoruba speaking movies, but all movies in Nigeria. It always portray Nigerian culture being inferior to the Europeans.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Nnenna1(f): 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2011
It depends on what kind of Nollywood movie you're watching.

The traditional ones, and those with stories predating colonial times are more balanced with the portrayal of African religions.

The obviously Christian ones will show the opposite.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by rgp922: 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2011
Nnenna1:

The traditional ones, and those with stories predating colonial times are more balanced with the portrayal of African religions.

Their are like very few pre colonial one.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Mcleo007(m): 6:54pm On Oct 16, 2011
Thank you @op. That accounts largely to why I stopped watching Home videos some years back. The case is so pathetic. Imagine that in an age where Hollywood presents Catholicism as a bane to man's future, our dear nOLLYwood presents our traditional values as a white wash. So silly! undecided
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by ProNurse: 7:58pm On Oct 16, 2011
The same reason they portray Nurses as bad hospital Slaves.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by odumchi: 10:20pm On Oct 16, 2011
@ OP that's not always the case.

In modern Christian-oriented movies, Traditionalism is operated negatively most of the time inorder to attract people to Christianity.

However in pre-colonial themed movies, Traditional religions are exalted. Most of the time there are "good" native doctors and "bad" native doctors who are engaged in conflict against each other. One example of this type of conflict in a modern movie is "Pipiro". In this contemporary film, a guy living in Lagos is called to his village to serve as the native doctor and uncover the roots of events which are perpetrated by another wicked native doctor.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Nobody: 1:59am On Oct 17, 2011
most nigerians practice xtianity or Islam. so don't think of it as a conspiracy. does who are free thinkers do it under cover. hence the reason why. we are thought to fear old religions. but nollywood obviously believes in the old religion as the juju always works for a while but has a bad ending for the user. previous poster was right, it also about reaching ur audience. yoruba movies do show that people who do BAD ifa have bad things happen to them, it doesn't brand the entire religion as bad always. but most of the time people do use it for "evil" in the movies.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Rgp92: 3:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
Ifa and other traditional religions have done more good for Nigeria than Christianity. If you disagreed then give me a good reason for it ´ smiley
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by anonimi: 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2011
colo(nial) mentality- pure & simple
there are many parallels between the imported arab (islam) & jewish (xtianity) religions with ifa (yoruba oracle) stories.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by kaboninc(m): 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2011
Nnenna1:

I agree with you on this. And sometimes, it depends on what the promoters want to potray.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Rgp92: 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2011
anonimi:

colo(nial) mentality- pure & simple
there are many parallels between the imported arab (islam) & jewish (xtianity) religions with ifa (yoruba oracle) stories.

Thats because jew,xtian islam copied from other traditional religions
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by kaboninc(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2011
Rgp92:

Ifa and other traditional religions have done more good for Nigeria than Christianity. If you disagreed then give me a good reason for it ´ smiley
You know why people don't patronise these traditional religions, its because of the fetish things involved. And its also an individual thing. If you believe that IFA or AMADIOHA will protect you, fine. And to those who feel JESUS will also protect them fine. Also to those who feel that they don't need any saviour, fine too. Its a personal decision.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by johndavid1(m): 4:58pm On Oct 17, 2011
kaboninc:

You know why people don't patronise these traditional religions, its because of the fetish things involved. And its also an individual thing. If you believe that IFA or AMADIOHA will protect you, fine. And to those who feel JESUS will also protect them fine. Also to those who feel that they don't need any saviour, fine too. Its a personal decision.
U dun nak the nail wit hamma notin remain again cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by lagcity(m): 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2011
edo.girl:

he referred to 'nollywood,' so i assume he meant nigerian english films as opposed to local-dialect films. perhaps they are all part of 'nollywood.' you could be right that his grouse is with yoruba films. in all the yoruba films i've seen, the power of christ always triumph over the 'babalawo' for example. as a xtian, i'm comfortable with that arrangement. any film that tampers with that established order will not sell. that's the reality.

yeah, that's true. You've put an idea into my mischievous mind grin. I'll use $5000 to make a movie where Sango and Ifa worshippers use juju to conquer born-again Christians. Then, i'll get Igbos to market it because i know Yoruba marketers won't do it. . . [size=20pt] Then i'll run back to America [/size] grin grin cool.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by MrWhy1(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
Because they are suffering from colonial mentality. They do not know their history. They seem to believe everything their colonial masters told them about their indigenous religion is evil. They lack an independent mind and creativity. As Bob Marley said 'Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind, have no fear for atomic energy for none of them can stop the time'.

These bunch refuse to research that movie production involves in depth knowledge of sociology, psychology, philosophy, anthropology and so on. They wake up and produce rubbish, that is why their movie is so dull and you can't be intellectually challenged watching them. They can only capture the African audience because of the low level of reasoning that is so ingrained in the average African psyche.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by AyoGolden(m): 9:53pm On Oct 17, 2011
I guess it is not only in Nigeria. The major cause of this religion megalomania is POVERTY. But i still maintain nobody can enslave me all in the name of religion.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
A man with an experience is not subject to he with an opinion.

Winch doctor receive their power from the devil, whom no good can come from.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Okijajuju1(m): 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2011
They are fools who will never prosper because they have despised the gods of their forefathers.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by moreprof: 1:19am On Oct 18, 2011
Perhaps they need some form of Trad. Religion Education, LOL
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by dhtml1(m): 6:25am On Oct 18, 2011
It seems we have some blood y locals of this thrread. It is for all these nonsense things that Nigeria will never move forward, people put emphasis on
so much nonsense.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by dhtml1(m): 6:32am On Oct 18, 2011
Who are the set of people that use people for rituals (in real life)? Is it christianity? And yet some people are asking for which one being portrayed as evil - it is evident to the whole world.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by AjanleKoko: 6:53am On Oct 18, 2011
No make me laugh abeg. Headless bodies found in gutters everywhere across Naija, and someone is saying traditional religion ain't evil?
Really? grin undecided
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

No make me laugh abeg. Headless bodies found in gutters everywhere across Naija, and someone is saying traditional religion ain't evil?
Really? grin undecided

Not every aspect of our traditional religion is that evil. Some ppl just take it to the extreme.

Like Christianity, there is good and evil. Like Islam, there is a good and an evil side.

Afrian traditional religion teaches but side, and teaches against evil. But you still have greedy ppl who misuse their knowledge.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Among This Is Your Favourite Series (season Films)? / Shola Arikusa Part 3 / Top Nigeria Movie With Intensive Sexual Display.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.