Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,258 members, 7,953,993 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars (3626 Views)

Why Toyota Camry Tiny Light Is Easily Stolen! / Confession Of Suspected Receiver Of Stolen Cars – Caveat Emptor / Stolen Cars From Usa End Up In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by usbcable(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2011
hello all,

once a while i read with utmost suprise here when someone says his automobile was stolen.

i tend to wonder that how are those cars still being sold here.

how do they get another set of original document to give to another unsuspecting buyer.

and this question applies to both tokunbo and nigerian used cars.

the sadest part is the absence of a viable database to view stolen vehicles records in Nigeria.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2011
May be they just sell the car in parts. undecided
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by Knight1(m): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2011
A CAr tracking device guy told me this astonishing story.

In Lagos, a car was stolen, same day the windscreen was removed and the VIN was replaced with another(made in Lagos VIN).

That's the beginning of what happens, then repainting occurs and finally they send it to dealers who sell the vehicles as 'neat almost new tokunboh'!!!!

yep, it's gotten that bad in naija
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by franklinjoseph(m): 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2011
Some of dem are taken across the border to oda African countries where they are been sold.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by gulfer: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2011
Stolen cars are cannibalized in Lagos (Surulere and Ladipo) and resold as parts.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by phuckNL: 6:11pm On Oct 16, 2011
Knight1:

In Lagos, a car was stolen, same day the windscreen was removed and the VIN was replaced with another(made in Lagos VIN).

That's the beginning of what happens, then repainting occurs and finally they send it to dealers who sell the vehicles as 'neat almost new tokunboh'!!!!

i thought the VIN is also etched somewhere under the hood as well and not just the windshield?
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by Skylolo01(m): 7:00pm On Oct 16, 2011
Well at tyms they get sold in bits and pieces.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by gascoign1(m): 9:51pm On Oct 16, 2011
gone with the winds
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by Victoriano(m): 11:10pm On Oct 16, 2011
well it's naija crazy things happen.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by sexyshe(f): 11:16pm On Oct 16, 2011
Knight1:

i heard that too but that means u gonna change the dashboard cos most times, it's etched on it.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by usbcable(m): 5:51am On Oct 17, 2011
and no government traffic agency has a functional website
FRSC
LASTMA
NPF

the closest to a functional website is":http://www.policevrp.com/secure/home.php

and we dont know who even runs the site.
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by Diligence: 6:53am On Oct 17, 2011
Many stolen cars end up in police stations for months b4 u get to know the details,
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 17, 2011
They usually make their way to Cotonou or Togo.
They get butchered and have their parts sold.
They are used as get away vehicles in other robberies.

That's what usually happens to stolen cars.
grin
Re: What Usually Happens To Stolen Cars by prokure: 12:04pm On Oct 17, 2011
what about AUTOREG?

(1) (Reply)

Pls How Much Is Complete Gearbox For Tiny Light Camry? / Is It True That Lexus RX330 Comes Also With European Spec? / PRND432 Display On My Audi A6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.