Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,309 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? (2587 Views)

Film House Cinema, Heritage Mall Razed By Fire In Ibadan! / My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Bank Of Industry Supports Screen Naija One Village, One Cinema Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 4:32pm On Oct 16, 2011
What is the future of big screen?

"Most of the world is without a cinema hall. That will all change! One village, one cinema. Why not?"

~Anthony Tate, Virgina, U.S.A.

As much as we appreciate the revival of the movie theatre culture in Nigeria with thanks to the Silverbird Cinemas and Genesis Deluxe Cinemas, we would be happier to use cinemas to break social class barriers and build bridges of unity among communities for the common benefit of the society and not to pander to the aristocratic tastes of the rich minority in Nigeria to the detriment of the poor majority.

Cinema has never been an elitist medium of communication.
Cinema is a tool for public entertainment and enlightenment and has been very effective and imperative in mass literacy campaigns in developed and developing countries for decades. Cinemas made Hollywood the film capital of the world buoyed by over 38,605 indoor screens in 5,561 sites and 628 Drive-In screens in 381 sites in the US, the largest in the world.

http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2011/10/one-village-one-cinema-why-not.html
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Brisingr(m): 9:06pm On Oct 16, 2011
it would b nice if i don't have 2 travel across lagos just too catch one movie.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by iice(f): 3:16pm On Oct 19, 2011
How many cinemas are there?
Maybe not enough money? undecided Na business ooo. . .owning cinema joints.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 4:12pm On Oct 19, 2011
8 new multiplexes are being built in Nigeria. Screen Naija Open Air Cinema Festival, a member of the Projection Foundation will start next spring in Lagos with live rock  music and hip hop rap performances and then launch the  outdoor cinemas from Lagos to other states as long as the place is safe and the weather permits outdoor screenings. There will be evening screenings on campuses and in safe residential areas at affordable prices. There will be at least a cinema in every village where there is no nearby movie theatre. There will be screenings of free educational and yet captivating documentaries before the screening commercial Nollywood movies and foreign films. The gate fee will depend on the average economic status of the community. Poor people will pay less and soft drinks and pop corn will be sold at very affordable prices like N120 for the 50 cl plastic bottle of Coca Cola and pop corn from N50 to N100. Screen Naija Open Air Cinema Festival will be a vehicle for public entertainment and enlightenment  and create more employment and checkmate the piracy of Nollywood movies and foreign films. Last August, over 10, 000 people watched the outdoor screening of one movie alone in a community in war ravaged Congo.  So, it going to succeed in Nigeria where there is relative peace. See more about Screen Naija Open Air Cinema Festival on www.projectionfoundation.org.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by iice(f): 10:32am On Oct 22, 2011
Relative peace undecided
Hmmm i doubt people are that interested in documentaries, no matter how captivating.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 11:48pm On Oct 22, 2011
iice:

Relative peace undecided
Hmmm i doubt people are that interested in documentaries, no matter how captivating.

iice:

Relative peace undecided

iice, it depends on the subject of the documentary. A documentary on Fela, the Afro Beat King will pull crowds. And a documentary of Pastor Chris or Pastor E.A. Adeboye will attract thousands. A documentary on Nigerian call girls in Italy will also pull crowds. There is a new way of doing documentary where there is no voice over narrator. It is like a regular movie. Have you seen Iara Lee's "Cultures of Resistance" featuring Fela Anikulapo Kuti and the Niger Dela militants?
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by iice(f): 5:20am On Oct 23, 2011
Hmmm the pastor own will prolly pull a large crowd as nigerians are 'religious'.
The fela own wouldn't pull as much. Regardless of him being an icon, interest mostly comes from the upper class.
As for me, i don't watch documentaries. Or rather it's hard for me not to get bored with them.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 7:40am On Oct 23, 2011
Would the documentary of a nudity camp or Efik fattening room bore you?
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by amblors(m): 4:34am On Oct 24, 2011
lol @ 1 village one cinema,
they're some state capitals in naija a cinema won't last 1month
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by iice(f): 4:36am On Oct 24, 2011
Orikinla:

Would the documentary of a Unclothedness camp or Efik fattening room bore you?
Yes
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 1:41pm On Oct 28, 2011
iice:

Yes

You cannot know which documentary would bore you until you see one.
As you cannot criticize an X-rated movie until you see it.

Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by iice(f): 1:56pm On Oct 28, 2011
I need recorder?
I said i don't like documentaries. They bore me. Nothing like seeing to know if it does or not.
Just as i don't like Nicole Kidman because she bores me. I went on a whim because someone recommended a movie of hers to me and i was right, she bores me, no matter how brilliant she comes across to other people. Shiorr.

As for xrated, you just need to watch one to know they are as repetitive as people.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 7:45pm On Oct 30, 2011
iice:

I need recorder?
I said i don't like documentaries. They bore me. Nothing like seeing to know if it does or not.
Just as i don't like Nicole Kidman because she bores me. I went on a whim because someone recommended a movie of hers to me and i was right, she bores me, no matter how brilliant she comes across to other people. Shiorr.

As for xrated, you just need to watch one to know they are as repetitive as people.

Alright.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 11:29am On Nov 03, 2011
Indian Movies Still Attract Thousands To Outdoor Cinemas in Northern Nigeria

Bollywood movies are sometimes shown five times a night, that is twice more than other movies at the outdoor cinemas in northern Nigeria. Read more about this on http://www.jstor.org/pss/1161182. This article discusses the significance of Indian films in revealing a relatively ignored aspect of the transnational flow of culture. The intra-Third World circulation of Indian [, ]

http://screennaija.projectionfoundation.org/
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by BoOOosHBoy: 6:27am On Nov 11, 2011
So?
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2011
BoOOosHBoy:

So?

So that you and your generation will become more enlightened. grin
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by VillageBoi(m): 10:21pm On Dec 29, 2011
One village, one cinema, why not?, Costs too much, that's why!
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 11:46am On Dec 30, 2011
VillageBoi:

One village, one cinema, why not?, Costs too much, that's why!

I don't agree

See what mobile cinemas are doing in Senegal and Mali.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:56am On Dec 30, 2011
[size=13pt]I love this thread ! actually , i was like wow! this is a very nice and lovely idea to improve the social lifestyles in the urban and rural areas of the Countries -- like having Cinema's center in every villages would abolish that insane village life out of many people out there because the movies seen on the large screen would influence their life . honestly , i would be pleased to work on this on the given time i wish I'm a politician --- grin grin . Well , let me see what i can do in the nearest future . . . wink wink[/size]
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by VillageBoi(m): 6:55am On Dec 31, 2011
Orikinla:

I don't agree

See what mobile cinemas are doing in Senegal and Mali.
True that but we are not Senegal or Mali. We are Nigeria with armed-robbery, kidnappings and bombings, just to mention a few. So one village, one cinema; mobile or not, still boils down to cost and we've now only hinted on 'security costs'.
I think there used to br mobile cinema in Nigeria but hey we're so good our 'good old days' are long gone!
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 10:54am On Dec 31, 2011
VillageBoi:

True that but we are not Senegal or Mali. We are Nigeria with armed-robbery, kidnappings and bombings, just to mention a few. So one village, one cinema; mobile or not, still boils down to cost and we've now only hinted on 'security costs'.
I think there used to br mobile cinema in Nigeria but hey we're so good our 'good old days' are long gone!

The situation in Congo is worse than Nigeria, but last August over 10, 000 people watched a single movie in one village.

Open air screenings have been done at the Freedom Park in Lagos and Screen Naija Open Air Cinemas identified 18 states in Nigeria where the environment is conducive for community cinemas.
We plan to launch in the next two months with a training for 40 selected people who will be professionally engaged to operate Screen Naija branches in 18 states in Nigeria.
Watch out for the promotion on Silverbird TV and on the internet.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by VillageBoi(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2011
Orikinla:

The situation in Congo is worse than Nigeria, but last August over 10, 000 people watched a single movie in one village.

Open air screenings have been done at the Freedom Park in Lagos and Screen Naija Open Air Cinemas identified 18 states in Nigeria where the environment is conducive for community cinemas.
We plan to launch in the next two months with a training for 40 selected people who will be professionally engaged to operate Screen Naija branches in 18 states in Nigeria.
Watch out for the promotion on Silverbird TV and on the internet.
Cool, that is very good news. Thanks for the info. Good to know it has been tested & researched, well done with the project. Looking forward to hearing more.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Orikinla(m): 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2013
Thank to everyone who commented and supported this general revival of community cinema culture as the Screen Naija One Village, One Cinema successfully launched in Lagos on Saturday June 22, 2013 and it was co-sponsored by the Nigerian Bank of Industry (BoI). The BoI and Screen Outdoor Open Air Cinema will launch Screen Naija One Village, One Cinema in every local government area (LGA) in Nigeria, to make it the biggest and largest cinema chain in Africa ahead of South Africa's Ster Kinekor which has 600 screens in less than 55 sites, while Screen Naija One Village, One Cinema will be located in over 775 sites with over 775 screens in all the local government areas (LGAs) of Nigeria and creating over 4, 000 jobs within two years.

Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by VillageBoi(m): 5:10pm On Jul 06, 2013
Nice one. Well done!
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by Darray(m): 2:56pm On Jul 07, 2013
This is a laudable project.

I am watching with keen interest.
Re: One Village, One Cinema, Why Not? by projectandpages: 2:05am On Sep 17, 2021
Starting a cinema business in Nigeria or anywhere across Africa is now easier and cheaper.

Consider Viewmax Entertainment as your partner in your journey of running a successful cinema business.

Viewmax is an entertainment technology company that operates a network of partner cinemas across Africa. The company will provide you with access to premium movies using their equipment installed in your cinema to show movies.

Viewmax also has an app that makes it easier for customers to buy tickets and locate your cinema easily.

Save your self the huge cost of buying cinema equipment that costs thousands of dollars. Kick off your cinema in just a couple of days!

In addition, Viewmax is particularly interested in community cinemas close to where potential customers live (housing estates, schools, and residential communities). Preferably with a seating capacity of at least 50 seats and a maximum of 80seats.

Get started: https://licensing.viewmax.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

What Pained You About Avengers End Game / Remember This Scary Moving Scene In The 90s? Pics / MOVIE: Wrath Of Man (2021)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.