Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,514 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme (13603 Views)

Namadi Sambo: 'How El-Rufai Respects Me, No Governor Past Or Present Does That.. / Namadi Sambo Visits Ike Ekweremadu In Abuja. Photos / Ahmed Makarfi's Son's Wedding: Atiku, Sule Lamido & Kwankwaso, Sambo Attend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Islie: 1:33pm On Sep 06, 2023
BDC operator, Sambo, reveals how he was caught in House Committee’s extortion scheme

Businessman Sambo says he was deceived into receiving illicit payments in his account.

In the past one week, Abubakar Sambo has been battling to save the image of his company, AMA Business Solutions — an Abuja-based Bureau De Change firm that is in the middle of an extortion and bribery scandal involving some members of Nigeria’s House of Representatives.

The 44-year-old businessman sat down with PREMIUM TIMES for a tell-all interview, revealing how an agent of the lawmakers and a university vice-chancellor used his business as a vessel for the scheme. The interview provided more details corroborating our reports on the scandal.

Mr Sambo said his company fell victim to being used as a vessel for the shady deal because he was ignorant of the questionable undercurrent of the transaction. The deal involves an ad hoc committee of the House of Representatives receiving bribes from vice-chancellors of Nigerian federal universities and shaking down the unwilling ones among the heads of the country’s higher institutions of learning.

A PREMIUM TIMES investigation had revealed how the House Committee, set up to probe alleged corruption in the personnel recruitment process of federal agencies, launched an extortion ring to collect bribes and shake down unwilling officials.

The report exposed how some vice-chancellors of universities agreed to pay N2 million bribe to the committee through Mr Sambo’s account domiciled at Providus Bank.

“There was no reason to suspect anything” – Sambo

When Mr Sambo’s phone rang on 16 August, the name that popped up on the screen could not be ignored because it was from a very important client — Stella Adoga.

Ms Adoga is not a social caller. She works for Lead British International School (LBIS), a big, privately-owned secondary school in Abuja, Nigeria’s political capital. By the time they ended their brief telephone conversation, Mr Sambo was upbeat, looking forward to hearing from a man whom Ms Adoga had said would call to buy dollars.

“She (Stella) called me and said that there was one of their clients that wanted to buy dollars,” Mr Sambo said. “She said she would give them my number. That’s a referral—which is very normal in our business.”

What Mr Sambo did not know was that Ms Adoga equally works for Oluwole Oke, the proprietor of LBIS and member of the House of Representatives.

“There was no reason to suspect anything,” Mr Sambo said while showing this reporter other transactions between him and LBIS.

Further narrating his experience, the businessman explained that hours after the call from Ms Adoga, he was contacted via WhatsApp by a man who introduced himself as Professor Tanko Ishaya, who said that he got his contact from “Stella (Adoga) from the National Assembly”, and would like to know the rates of naira to dollar, and naira to pounds sterling.

The professor later requested the account number of Mr Sambo with the understanding that he would send him money in naira which he would like to convert to dollars. He was given Account Number 5400495458, domiciled in Providus Bank.

Mr Sambo noted that he got a stab of surprise when he started getting credit alerts of N2 million from different sources. He raised his concerns with the two individuals involved; they assured him that the payments were from an association and that the payment to him was structured in that manner.

“Good morning sir, they are sending the money in N2 million tranches,” Mr Sambo had in a WhatsApp message informed the UNIJOS vice-chancellor of the unusual inflow of the funds into his account. His concern was not addressed, he said.

“Normally, if a customer is buying dollars, they pay you bulk money. So it was surprising to me, that was why I indicated it to him (Mr Ishaya) in the WhatsApp message,” Mr Sambo told this reporter.

Mr Ishaya kept in touch with Mr Sambo to monitor how his colleagues were complying with the payment ahead of the 24 August deadline given them by the lawmakers. “By the weekend, he asked me, how many transfers have you received, I said 10.”

“I did not ask many questions because I thought it was the school. I thought he was a staff member of the school because it is the school that I have been dealing with all this while. We did not go into any deal, and I did not ask. I have been dealing with the school for a long time, always selling (dollars) to me, but they never bought (dollars) from me,” he said.

The payments into the account continued until 29 August when PREMIUM TIMES published the report of its investigation. At that point, 14 universities had paid into the account. The continued cash inflow from the vice-chancellors into the account beyond the 24 August is indicative of a readjustment of the deadline earlier given by the lawmakers.

Worried by the PREMIUM TIMES story of August 29, Mr Sambo said he immediately contacted both Ms Adoga and Mr Ishaya.

He said while Ms Adoga promised to look into the matter and get his organisation’s lawyers to sort things out, Mr Ishaya kept mute. He read the businessman’s WhatsApp message but did not respond.

“On Tuesday morning when I saw the article, I called him (Ishaya), but he did not pick up. And I sent him a message. I told him ‘What is happening? Why am I seeing my company and my details saying I am fronting for someone?”

Mr Sambo said after reading our report, he printed his bank statement and realised that the payments into his account were actually from universities.

“When messages (credit alert) come in, it does not show like that. It was when I printed my bank statement, that was when I saw the narration. It was the story that made me look at my bank statement,” he said.

He said the following day, 30 August, he wrote a letter to Providus Bank asking it to revert all the transfers from the 14 schools that sent money to him. In the letter, he listed the 14 transactions linked to Mr Ishaya.

A lien (restriction) has been put on the Providus account on the order of the Independent Corrupt Practice and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) after the story.

Mr Sambo said the action of the lawmakers and their collaborators in the universities has put his business at risk.

“I have been in the business since 2010. I worked for two different companies. First, Sahara Exchange and then 313 Bureau De Change before I started my own company in 2016. That’s all I do. I don’t do any other business,” he said.

The ICPC had last week announced the commencement of an investigation into the committee.

This followed a petition by PREMIUM TIMES and the Chairman of the controversial House Committee, Yusuf Gagdi (APC, Plateau) to the anti-graft agency to probe the matter.

PREMIUM TIMES called for a thorough investigation with a view to prosecuting culpable individuals in the extortion and bribery scheme

Mr Gagdi urged ICPC to investigate Mr Sambo’s account to see if it has any link to any member of his committee.

So far, the ICPC has frozen Mr. Sambo’s Providus Account as part of the ongoing investigation into the saga.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/investigationspecial-reports/619774-exclusive-bdc-operator-sambo-reveals-how-he-was-caught-in-house-committees-extortion-scheme.html

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Alchemy528: 1:35pm On Sep 06, 2023
Alright

2 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by inoki247: 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2023
Lol you sha colet Dollar nd u comot gain inside undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by HarryGleb: 1:40pm On Sep 06, 2023
inoki247:
Lol
Bro how's your nephew?

2 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Ofunaofu: 1:43pm On Sep 06, 2023
grin
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by fernandez1(m): 1:56pm On Sep 06, 2023
Make dem post Naija for sale on Craigslist…… revolution is the answer to our nemesis in this country.

With the present constitution we will keep getting the establishment guys in the corridors of powers

5 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by BigBlackPreek(m): 5:14pm On Sep 06, 2023
Nigeria my country!
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Racoon(m): 5:14pm On Sep 06, 2023
This is how the HOA committee engage in corruption in the name of oversight functions. Many days for the thief but one day for karma.

9 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by TrentJude: 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2023
Yahoo yahoo government sprinkled with a little bit of QUOTA SYSTEM.

7 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Kcfresh2103(m): 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2023
undecided the big question is what will be the end result of the so-called investigation?
What of the account that is initiating the whole payment.....aahhhhh.

is alright.

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by jeeqaa7(m): 5:17pm On Sep 06, 2023
Naija don finish

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Diligence: 5:17pm On Sep 06, 2023
We hereby call on righteous democrats never to stoop low and allow Emilokans, Agbadorians, BaTists, & Ebolans to gloat over miscarriage of justice.

Don't ever keep mute; they are on the broad way that leads to destruction. Confront them, enlighten them, nay emancipate them; they are obviously bewitched! If anything, they should be ashamed and hid their faces forever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by otokx(m): 5:19pm On Sep 06, 2023
ICPC should also freeze the accounts from which money was paid.

5 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Aceflare: 5:19pm On Sep 06, 2023

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by ReacherSaidNoth: 5:19pm On Sep 06, 2023
Useless dump of a country
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Omoawoke2(m): 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2023
Too bad

Meanwhile

2 Likes

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by elitehow: 5:23pm On Sep 06, 2023
wow
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by JAMO84: 5:23pm On Sep 06, 2023
Gadi will be serious during hearings like a clean person. He's just another Faruk Lawan

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by chawtinz(m): 5:23pm On Sep 06, 2023
Omo the matter Choke....Only God fit help Man

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Oscarchims: 5:24pm On Sep 06, 2023
Na dem
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by aQUINandmore: 5:27pm On Sep 06, 2023
I am in love with helinues.
Please helinues love me back cry cry
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Oritna94(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2023
These HOR members do not care about anyone but themselves. Greedy lot. Smh
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by frog12: 5:30pm On Sep 06, 2023
so lawmaker wole oke that always act like a saint is into bribery shocked shocked

what a country !!

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by Iceiscold: 5:43pm On Sep 06, 2023
Corruption fights
Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by ecolime(m): 5:45pm On Sep 06, 2023
Diligence:
We hereby call on righteous democrats never to stoop low and allow Emilokans, Agbadorians, BaTists, & Ebolans to gloat over miscarriage of justice.

Don't ever keep mute; they are on the broad way that leads to destruction. Confront them, enlighten them, nay emancipate them; they are obviously bewitched! If anything, they should be ashamed and hid their faces forever
Wrong thread bro

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Sambo Reveals How He Was Caught In House Committee’s Extortion Scheme by TrapKVNG(m): 5:48pm On Sep 06, 2023
ecolime:

Wrong thread bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Ministers And Their Portfolios. Confirmed / Impeachment Rally Against Jonathan Prevented By Police / Ado Adamu Bomboy To Leave PDP For APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.