Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? (72264 Views)

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by okoIYAyin(m): 5:48pm On Sep 06, 2023
yemmit90:
For Nigeria to have beautiful and organised cities, the right to build structures or buy land must be removed from individuals. Real Estate or construction companies should be the only organisations mandated by law to do so. Flexible Mortgage system must be introduce by banks, government and other financial houses. We are just wasting spaces in the name of building individuals houses, a single condo can accommodate a whole street in some localities. Would it not make sense if 50 people buy a flat each in a building than making useless structured on 50 plots of land or more. No individual or family should be allow to own more than 3 bedroom apartment or duplex if you are rich enough.

By this development, it will be very easy for investors to invest in a massive modern buildings and condos. This will also curb corruption to a greater extent as most of the loots are being spent on properties.

Finally someone came up with a reasonable solution, others have just been complaining and lamenting. Let me bookmark this, you will be my commissioner for environment in a few years to come wink
May God spare our lives (Amen)

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by VaselineCrew: 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2023
Kaycee54321:
It starts with the little things people see as "normal" in Nigeria:

- You drink sachet "pure" water and dump the sachet on the road like a retard.

- You crack boiled groundnuts along the road, chewing and leaving a groundnut shell trail like a bush animal.

- You cross the express running like a confused chicken when there's an overhead pedestrian bridge few metres away from you.

- You bring out your wa.nker and piss in the nearest gutter like a baboon when you're pressed...

- And many more.

It's not magic - We are the streets.

While this is all true, most can be solved with covered sidewalks.

How easy would it be to sweep a dirty paved floor vs having to retrieve that same dirt from gutter water

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by VaselineCrew: 5:52pm On Sep 06, 2023
Sometimes I want to give up, cause the amount of insane people in Nigeria is just too much.

There is this movie I watched were the guy was transported to future america and everyone was stupid.

So stupid that they couldn’t figure out why the plants couldn’t grow, as they were using a sports drink to water the plants instead of water.

Difference is, even in their stupidity, they still had enough brain cells to hire the guy that suggested they use water instead of sports drink.

In Nigeria, they would simply laugh at the guy.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by candygist: 5:56pm On Sep 06, 2023
Raydos:
I've been to 15 states in Nigeria my whole life, and one thing I always notice is, Untarred roads, Lack of drainage system, Lack of proper planning e.t.c

Which always make me curious, Why does everywhere in Nigeria look like it got hit by a nuclear bomb? Why? Why don't we have modern streets and cities!!

Since the inception of Nigeria, I Don't think we have built any city, And please don't even mention Banana island, It's a piece of crap!!

It's sad that only about 3% of Nigeria is actually developed and the other 97% is just straight up piece of trash!!

Because Nigeria is still a Third world country.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by sharpwriter(m): 6:05pm On Sep 06, 2023
SmartPolician:

Black Africans have low IQ. We can choose to deny that, but facts are facts. The Black Africans lack innovation. That explains why Nigeria hasn't made appreciable progress since 60 years after independence.
Yes blacks do fvck ups but to you now, Nigeria is Nigeria àbí? First split Nigeria into its original components before you make your judgement. You can't work using the template and foundation of a slave master and expect success.

You said 60 years? Are you just realizing this? After the so called pseudo independence, the first crack of the faulty and fraudulent foundation began in just 6 years and since that 1966, it has been from one trouble to another and still we all sit by the cracky foundation and crooked built Nigeria and expect to enjoy... Na lie.

In fact, the tears linger on as long as this establishment exists... Una never see anything, una go cry tire. grin

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by madscientist88(m): 6:18pm On Sep 06, 2023
Raydos:
I'm starting to believe recently that we actually do have a low IQ!

We need a IQ test, Anyone whose IQ is below 100 should not be allowed close to governance!!

We can't be living like this in this modern day
if you think the problem of negro Africa is as a result of low IQ then you need to think again, monarchy has always been the best system of governance to negro Africa,yet colonisation and western influence paved way for negro africans to be greedy and independent through scripted systems,in monarchy its two ways to rule, either you are born a royal or you take it by force,if you want negro Africa to succeed restore their monarchial system of administration and see how they thrive. besides the wars that were fought amongst kingdoms in the past,they had thriving economies,you need to read about the trans Sahara trade and how canembornu thrived and how yoruba,benin and igala kimgdoms thrived economically in trades before the coming of the europeans . negro africa has been scared for life as western influence has now taken a great stand over traditions,negro Africa has to fail for Europe to exploit an thrive this is what you dont understand,they survive on our injuries,they know a few cant heal this.talking about IQ have you carried out an iq test before, how many iq tests have you taken?below is a screenshot from iq test ive taken ,you IQ ,this is not to brag ,i just want to clear the misconception that black africans have low iq.greed has little to do with IQ.

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 6:25pm On Sep 06, 2023
tollyboy5:

Haven't you seen how Nigerians steal rail tracks, manhole covers, airport light and other things.
An average Nigeria drops refuse on the floor after eating by the road side or in a bus.

This happens as a result of poverty, You can't see any politicians children doing that because they are all well to do!!

If poverty is eradicated, 70% of our problems will be solved, But on the flip side, We don't even possess the mental capacity to enrich ourselves!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 6:46pm On Sep 06, 2023
We're so damned, We go to their country for Greener pastures while they only come here for Safari, Lol to see animals not even the people

Cos we got nothing to offer!

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Xtristopher: 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2023
Raydos:

I swear bro, We can't get shit together, Then we go to another man's country and scream racism, Bro go back to your county!!

We black people needs a reality check!

That racism shiit annyoned me most. If you are not happy how they treat you return back to where you are treated better they have no shame

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2023
justtoodark:

developed or not....it still remains stolen land....

australia is stolen land too....
dont justify evil because of development....

I can bet you that almost all Nigerian wished Nigeria never gained independence and had stayed under the British colonialism longer, because it will bring more Development

If Nigeria had been stolen too, it would have been more Developed than it is today!

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Ibrahimlagosian(m): 6:58pm On Sep 06, 2023
;DImagine,Black people criticising themselves for being black.Nawa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Mindlog: 6:59pm On Sep 06, 2023
Raydos:

This happens as a result of poverty, You can't see any politicians children doing that because they are all well to do!!

If poverty is eradicated, 70% of our problems will be solved, But on the flip side, We don't even possess the mental capacity to enrich ourselves!!

Reality is that 20 years from now, more of such images of neighbourhoods would spring up.

I regularly do google street views of neighbourhoods I knew as a child and as an adolescent, most of what I see is environmental degradation, neighbourhood renewal is non existent and majority are not even bothered as they are stuck at the base of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, have no capacity to mentally process the cesspit many of those neighbourhoods represents.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 7:01pm On Sep 06, 2023
Xtristopher:

That racism shiit annyoned me most. If you are not happy how they treat you return back to where you are treated better they have no shame

I swear, They complain about racism, When we have been killing eachother here for ages!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by justtoodark: 7:39pm On Sep 06, 2023
Raydos:

I can bet you that almost all Nigerian wished Nigeria never gained independence and had stayed under the British colonialism longer, because it will bring more Development

If Nigeria had been stolen too, it would have been more Developed than it is today!

what is wrong with you....??

how can you suggest such a thing to any black person on earth....??
be careful....
the day will come that black people will start gatherin people like you and puttin them into concentration camps the same way mao did....

dispeakable....have you no pride,no honour....??

go suggest something like this to niger republic people and see....
go their right now in their middle and say something like this....
i double dare you....
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by justtoodark: 7:49pm On Sep 06, 2023
i thought soo....

nonesense....
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 7:56pm On Sep 06, 2023
chisupport:
That's why I laugh when I see some people boasting about how developed the south east is..and how developed Lagos and Abuja are .
Every So called City or town in Nigeria is a mess.

It's an indication of how stupid Africans are 😁😁😁

From Abia to Zamfara
From Enugu to Lagos
From Oyo to Calabar
From port Harcourt to Lokoja
From Owerri to Abuja....

We don't have cities...No planning , No drainages, No proper road network..Just Buildings littered everywhere.

😀😀

Spot on!! They keep arguing over nonsense, I don't open any thread as such once I see the headline!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Top5ers: 8:40pm On Sep 06, 2023
Tinubu will build it for agbado people and turn Nigeria into Dubai soon be patient

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by soundOsonic: 9:56pm On Sep 06, 2023
SmartPolician:

This is soooo brutal! grin

The truth is that everyone doesn't have the same mental capacity; I found out in the university. In school, some of us read to learn.

However, I was shocked when I met a course mate who could cram the text of an entire page of a textbook and reproduce it without looking at the page word for word. I am not kidding. God knows that I cannot do that. He graduated with 4.23. He nearly made a first class.

Meeting that guy exposed me to the fact that there are things one can never be, no matter how much one tries. Humans are not the same. Humans don't have the same mental capacity. Genetic makeups differentiate races. For Black Africans to come close to Caucasians in mental capacity, we have to invest massively in education.
Calm down bro, an average Nigerians is by far more intelligent than an average Americans.
Don't take my word for it, Nigerians are more successful than every other race in USA, check the data...
Your logic is flawed, the disparity is the system, you might say it is still thesame black that controls that system, you are wrong.
Our system is still controlled by our masters.

Our economy is still controlled by a currency that isn't even ours, dollars, our resources are been taken by them, how we act against terrorism is still determined by our masters.

How we think and see ourselves is dependent of these same people. Where are these corrupt government spending our money?
Do you think our masters don't know these money spent on their land are from corruption?

They select puppet to make our system what it is, think no normal human will see his house in damage or poor state and not fix it.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by ovcwality(m): 10:29pm On Sep 06, 2023
op you have a very low IQ, even if they give you Nigeria to govern for 100 years it will not change, because you don't have any solutions. And stop lieing, African countries with a good GDP per Capita have good roads, I followed an Indian they were amazed how the roads were nice, is only when they start reaching Cameroun to western Africa that the roads become horrible again. And all the Caribbean countries with good GDP are neat because the depend on tourism. I have never been there but I have seen some on YouTube, either you have a very low IQ or something must be wrong with your brain

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by ovcwality(m): 10:31pm On Sep 06, 2023
Sub Saharan African needs to do better, but from some of your views someone can easily see you are not smart/intelligent
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Abagworo(m): 10:35pm On Sep 06, 2023
Owerri looks different. Majority of the town is decent with no Keke and roadside shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeJ2oicMOxQ?si=5aTZXiAez5WKeSTj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1TbtMhE8hc?si=AQQFjMGm0e_L0hQH

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by cindicandy(f): 10:44pm On Sep 06, 2023
Owerri is a slum and a glorified village that’s why most imo indigenes are not living in Owerri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVCEUnPwGY?si=JuHT4XyBo33XF69B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9sOLwy61AQ?si=DlLDOUXsSZ3W67oq

Real outlook of Owerri

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by capetownboyz(m): 10:48pm On Sep 06, 2023
Mehn everyone is riddled up with emotions ,it’s well but for real growing up in this system and seeing no change in sight makes it all worst for an African( Nigerian) ..The white see the good in development while the blacks ask why do we need development ! It not like my next door neighbor have any use for it ,it will be better I go to places that are more developed and enjoy the resources myself ..more reason you see Nigerians leaving in droves cause no one seems to understand how to tackle and develop this system..I will still maintain my stand and i will say it clearly a country like Nigeria shouldn’t have been coined together..white are evil and Africa is a cesspit of project to them ..we don’t have absolute control of our thoughts and they defeated us by starting with religion, waiting on God’s miracle before we start thinking right for ourselves ..Our creator somewhere must be laughing at us and the stupidity that we exhibit among his creations ..we lack foresight.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Abagworo(m): 11:13pm On Sep 06, 2023
cindicandy:
Owerri is a slum and a glorified village that’s why most imo indigenes are not living in Owerri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVCEUnPwGY?si=JuHT4XyBo33XF69B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9sOLwy61AQ?si=DlLDOUXsSZ3W67oq

Real outlook of Owerri

I wrote Owerri not Orji. Anywhere you see Keke or Okada is a different town or informal settlement outside the township itself . Such settlements are everywhere for those who cannot afford the city proper.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by cindicandy(f): 11:15pm On Sep 06, 2023
Mumu man keep deceiving yourself, everyone knows that Owerri is largely a village and my pictures and videos covers the larger areas of Owerri. The pictures and videos showed the core of Owerri township centre . You can keep deceiving yourself to feel good, but everyone knows the truth and my pictures and videos proved it right. Owerri is a pure village with mostly dilapidated infrastructures

Abagworo:

I wrote Owerri not Orji. Anywhere you see Keke or Okada is a different town or informal settlement outside the township itself . Such settlements are everywhere for those who cannot afford the city proper.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Abagworo(m): 11:54pm On Sep 06, 2023
cindicandy:
Mumu man keep deceiving yourself, everyone knows that Owerri is largely a village and my pictures and videos covers the larger areas of Owerri. The pictures and videos showed the core of Owerri township centre . You can keep deceiving yourself to feel good, but everyone knows the truth and my pictures and videos proved it right. Owerri is a pure village with mostly dilapidated infrastructures

You can as well show Nyanya as Abuja, Makoko as Lagos or Eleme trailer park as Port Harcourt but we all know what they are. Definitely not the city

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by cindicandy(f): 11:57pm On Sep 06, 2023
Just stop fooling yourself. What I showed is Owerri township centre and not an outskirts equivalent of Eleme or Makoko. If I wanted outskirts of Owerri I would have shown you Obinze or Naze, those are the fringe of Owerri, but my videos and pictures covered the main areas of Owerri

Abagworo:

You can as well show Nyanya as Abuja, Makoko as Lagos or Eleme trailer park as Port Harcourt but we all know what they are. Definitely not the city

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Reflect7: 12:04am On Sep 07, 2023
Christistruth03:

Nigerians really need to develop their own indigenous Road building Technology

There was road building and Paving Technology in Ile Ife during the days of Luwo the Only female Ooni in the 15th Century because we were told she made them pave Ile Ife from top to bottom but the Technology seems to have been abandoned along the line

Traditional Rulers should be able to organize the locals to build roads even if it is only broken Rocks and Gravel that they use

Some Communities have waited for over 50 years for the Government to pave their roads and they are still waiting

I am very happy you raised this history of paved roads in precolonial Nigeria.

We had our way of paving roads, and even courtyards which was by using raised broken potsherds. See below:

Ife Paved Roads dated 800 AD

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pave/hd_pave.htm

The categories given to the distinct periods of ancient Ife’s artistic production center around the paving of the city’s courtyards and passageways with terracotta bricks sometime around 1000 A.D., marking the beginning of Ife’s Pavement period.

This practice is thought to be associated with the urbanization of Ife.

The origin of the pavement is explained in a popular story: according to Yoruba mythology, Queen Oluwo ordered the construction of the pavements when her robes were muddied in the dirt.

A centre of political and religious power, Ife has been a formidable city-state through much of the second millennium A.D. The flowering of Ife art coincided with the commercial expansion of the neighboring city-state of Oyo, a strategically placed trading centre, that channeled goods coming down the Niger River from the Songhai empire to Ife and other centers. The aesthetic style developed during the Pavement period of Ife art has been an ongoing influence in Yoruba sculptural styles since its inception. ...

Excerpt:

http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html

''Ile-Ife is the most ancient Yoruba city, and is still venerated today by the Yoruba as their main cultural and religious center. It's practically a holy city. You may know of Ile-Ife due to its highly sophisticated terracotta and bronze castings, but did you know that the city had a complex system of paved roads? Evidently, an oral tradition concerning the distinguished Yoruba ruler Ono Olowo, apparently she was walking around the capital when her regalia was splattered with mud. Very upset, the Queen ordered the construction of pavements around all of the public and religious places of Ife(courtyards, shrines), made of ceramic tiles from pots. A quote concerning how potsherd pavements are created:

How The Pavements Were Built

''The pathway or courtyard to be paved would be prepared by leveling the ground. The potsherds were then prepared by breaking them into pieces. The soil was then well-kneaded to make for a good sub-base providing the working platform. The soil base was mixed with residual water from the palm-oil industry and left to ferment for two to three days. In the absence of residual water from the palm-oil base, the soil was mixed with palm-oil. Where there was no palm-oil, the soil was left to ferment longer, say, one-week. Mixing the soil with palm-oil was done to provide uniform heating when the pavement was being "baked'.

After the base was prepared, the potsherds were then stuck into the prepared soil and then arranged into whatever design was desired, be it herringbone or straight-row design. The pavement was then left to dry out before being "baked". In the baking process, dry wood and shrubs were packed on top of the pavement and set on fire''
''.

Typical Paved Courtyard In Ancient Ife

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Reflect7: 12:12am On Sep 07, 2023
NOW THE QUESTION IS, Is it that the people of these regions have FORGOTTEN their own paving technology, such that if they don't have the European style of paving, they will just sit there in the MUD?

If they have forgotten have their traditional rulers and priests also forgotten?

Do you guys even know that Benin City had streetlights as early as the 13th century?

They mounted tall steel poles along the roads, and in the evenings, lit them at the top wicks fuelled by palm oil.

This was 500 years before LONDON had any form of streetlights.

There's no reason why Nigerian villages cannot do the exacty same thing today, and even some inner city roads with no conventional street lights.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Reflect7: 12:21am On Sep 07, 2023
Basic123:
We BLACKS had genetic issues

Get rid of your racial inferiority complex.

These are also BLACK URBAN AREAS:

Kigali, Rwanda

Abuja, Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Reflect7: 12:22am On Sep 07, 2023
Nairobi, Kenya

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Reflect7: 12:28am On Sep 07, 2023
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Harare, Zimbabwe

Accra, Ghana

LESSON: THE AFRICAN NATIONS ARE DEVELOPING.

GIVE THEM TIME.

THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN INDEPENDENT FOR 50 ODD YEARS!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? / Photographer Captures Photos Of 'Never Before Seen' Yellow Penguin (Pics) / Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.