Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,788 members, 7,813,605 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? (71909 Views)

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 8:34am On Sep 07, 2023
owagbeba:

It’s not about Low IQ as some have suggested. IT IS THE ABSENCE OF GOVERNANCE!

High IQ translate to Good Governance!

You're likely to make a good decision and think critically, and push your brain beyond limit to solve problems when you have High IQ

While in the other hand, Low IQ Make you worry less about things, And Bad at solving life problems!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blingxx(m): 8:35am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I'm starting to believe recently that we actually do have a low IQ!

We need a IQ test, Anyone whose IQ is below 100 should not be allowed close to governance!!

We can't be living like this in this modern day

I already made my personal research on this years ago , the average blackman have a very low IQ can't see beyond religion... Blackman will be earning little get married to many wives give birth to dozens of children and put them on the street to survive on their own, this set of people are always blaming the govt for their misery.. The black man is cursed undecided

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blingxx(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2023
HarryGleb:
If the British are still ruling Nigeria it would have been better than what we have now.

I swear, it would have been better if we had an aparthied system like south Africa

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 8:50am On Sep 07, 2023
blingxx:

I swear, it would have been better if we had an aparthied system like south Africa

The white areas looked nice because spending on white areas was many times that of black areas.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Corrections: 8:51am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Nigeria population in the 1960s was only around 45million people, And oil already has been discovered

So Why didn't we start developing the country then? Since we had less population to worry about and more money to go round? And we had to wait for things to blow out of proportion, then we start complaining?

??

The answer is ......CORRUPTION and till date (7 Sept of 2023 ) right from 1960, corruption is what we have been able to develop massively.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by herkeem: 9:12am On Sep 07, 2023
Best thread on Nairaland today.
Seun lalasticlala nlfpmod mynd44
Front page

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 9:13am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

1.Well, we had been getting modern anemites back then...by 1960, we had a working rail system, a highway system, and the beginnings of a lot of modern cities, including some that were relatively new.

2. We were producing 113500 barrels of crude a day in 1960. Not the 12 million the Saudis were producing now.

3.Even then, again, our population is too large for us to live on oil or any other resource...hence our need to become an exporter of manufactured goods and servicies.

Bro we can't keep making excuses, Over excuses, Over Excuses, It's not going to get us anywhere

No human will progress in life with that mentality, Even if Our population was 5million and we produce 10million barrels of crude oil per day, I bet nothing will still Change!!

The money will continue to get embezzled, All those Middle-east countries you mentioned are very disciplined and do not tolerate Corruption, That's the reason they progressed!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Simeonjoe1: 9:14am On Sep 07, 2023
colp2015:
If you swap all Nigerians for Americans in California, Texas, and New York, Nigeria would develop rapidly in less than 6 months but California, Texas, and New York would become a jungle.

The black race in Africa is flawed by constitution.

A woman traveled to America on a visitor's visa. She was taken out on a sight seeing trip.

They were driving on I-75 Highway in North Dallas when the woman sighed and said, "na wa oh, everybody just dey drive New cars here..." the driver replied: "you can buy any car of your choice by credit facility.."

The woman exclaimed and said: " how then do you distinguish the rich from the poor?" The man replied: "you can't know by their cars because anyone with a job can buy anything on credit and pay monthly to maintain a good quality of life."

The woman said - to her shame - "I can't live in this country where everybody is equal."

The story above depicts the mental frame of many black people who grow up in Africa.

God and angels have very little regard, if any, for the black race in Africa.
Made up undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by ednut1(m): 9:19am On Sep 07, 2023
Corrections:

Please stop saying because people don't pay tax is the major cause for this. The billions that Nigeria generates from natural resources how have they the leaders been able to manage them? Is it right for some people to pay taxes only for some other in government to embezzle them and still go with little or no punishment?
in most developed countries that depend on resources people still pay taxes.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Corrections: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Actually, the USA is rich because it relies heavily on exporting manufactured goods and services.

(Note, before you start, I am aware of the US's long and evil history. But it is more than just looting.).

The thing is, the US has always been a massive producer and exporter. In 1936, when the Nazi Germany admin was trying to improve domestic car production (an effort that led to the development of Volkswagen), Germany, France and the UK had car ownership rates of 4-5% . The USA had car ownership rates of 20%.

Infact during the second world war, the UK and the USSR were able to keep fighting because of massive imports of USA indistrial goods. Consider that the Nazis could not bomb the USA during the war.

Now a word on looting. China was a large empire that invaded lots of naitons and looted them. Spain too did the same thing over time...yet by the 19th century both of them were broke and dominated by other nations. Now, China is peak

Japan too used to invade other countries for centuries, and loot them....and by the 19th century they thought they were top dog,, until US ships entered their ports by force, and they could do nothing because the tech gap was immense.

Looting can only take you to point A. It can make you rich, but then ....loot runs out. (And in spain's case, looking for loot bankrupted them severely.)

Today, China is no 1, and Japan is no 3...BECAUSE...they followed a system whereby they made stuff the world needed and sold them to the world market.

Nigeria? Even andorid phone we use, we no wan make. And before you shout whites...white people were ready to buy Japanese, Korean and Chinese imports from the 1960's onwards because quality....

Riches are made only by making stuff the world needs. It does not have to be weapons of war.

If we made phones, and they worked well, the West would love us, because prices of phones will drop. But we want to sell oil, share the money, and import like mad.

And we don't want to pay taxes. US looks nice because EVERYONE THERE PAYS TAXES. Not like Nigeria where as at 2019, 70% of the populaiton did not pay anything in tax.

If you like let NIGERIA be more industrialized more than CHINA, AMERICA, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA, RUSSIA, FRANCE, JAPAN and others, NIGERIA and NIGERIANS will still be poor and miserable in as much corruption is not tamed.

You don't put the cart before the horse. You don't think of advancement or development without first dealing with corruption brutally and effectively . I just laugh when people talk the way you did. Friend don't be deceived or deceive others (ignorantly/ unconsciously) by saying those things you said when corruption is the order of the day.

Now, just for food for thought. Which of the countries I listed and bolded treats corruption softly or playfully like NIGERIA does?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by colp2015: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2023
Simeonjoe1:

Made up undecided
It was not a fabricated story.

I was with a friend in Dallas a few years back. My friend told me about his wife's friend who visited them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Corrections: 9:43am On Sep 07, 2023
ednut1:

Yes they pay. Can you also say that in those countries that people pay tax CORRUPTION is not brutally and effectively tamed? Don't you think it's the reason why people in those countries are encouraged to pay taxes?

Can the same be said of NIGERIA and other African countries?

You don't put the cart before the horse, the leaders can't be corrupt with nothing to tame their leakages and want people to be paying taxes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Corrections: 9:43am On Sep 07, 2023
ednut1:

Yes they pay. Can you also say that in those countries that people pay tax CORRUPTION is not brutally and effectively tamed? Don't you think it's the reason why people in those countries are encouraged to pay taxes?

You don't put the cart before the horse, the leaders can't be corrupt with nothing to tame their leakages and want people to be paying taxes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by ednut1(m): 9:53am On Sep 07, 2023
Corrections:

they are not encouraged to pay taxes. You go to jail if you dont pay. In arab countries where they don’t pay much taxes they have small population compared to us with 200m
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 9:54am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Bro we can't keep making excuses, Over excuses, Over Excuses, It's not going to get us anywhere

How is stating what Nigeria needs to do...become an industrialized nation, pay taxes, and yes, deal with official corruption, an excuse. It isn't.

No human will progress in life with that mentality, Even if Our population was 5million and we produce 10million barrels of crude oil per day, I bet nothing will still Change!!

Because you think that black people are inferior to whites.

Whites do not have corruption because their economy is now dependent on industrial exports. At the end, things have to work well for the exports to work, which is why corruption is minimal

Nigeria is reliant on oil exports...which fosters a environment of free money, which leads to corruption

Believe you me, many oil rich countries are corrupt...it is just that money has a way of hiding cracks if it is enough.

The money will continue to get embezzled, All those Middle-east countries you mentioned are very disciplined and do not tolerate Corruption, That's the reason they progressed!

They appear not to, but they are. Again, money can cover cracks.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 9:59am On Sep 07, 2023
Corrections:

If you like let NIGERIA be more industrialized more than CHINA, AMERICA, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA, RUSSIA, FRANCE, JAPAN and others, NIGERIA and NIGERIANS will still be poor and miserable in as much corruption is not tamed.

You don't put the cart before the horse. You don't think of advancement or development without first dealing with corruption brutally and effectively . I just laugh when people talk the way you did. Friend don't be deceived or deceive others (ignorantly/ unconsciously) by saying those things you said when corruption is the order of the day.

Now, just for food for thought. Which of the countries I listed and bolded treats corruption softly or playfully like NIGERIA does?

1. All countries have corruption.

2.Corruption in industrial countries is minimal because if they allowed it it would harm their bottom line...industrial exports. It does happen (a Japanese MP is currently in big soup because bribes)...

Nigeria? No amount of corruption can stop oil revenue flowing well, and yeah, it is always easy to replace

That's why I advocate we become an industrial exporter.

By the way, I am not excusing corruption.

3.The problem with fighting corruption in Nigeria is Nigerians tend to see it as being a means of settling scores. They do not see how their son stealing can harm them badly. Again, it boils down to low tax levels.

Since we do not collect taxes as the West does,govt money is seen in the abstract. Only people who are among the 30% of Nigerians that pay tax bother. Most don't so, why bother? A resident of a European country pays a lot in taxes...so dammne if he doesn't get involved in how his taxes are spent.(and if anything funny happens, the government official is in soup)

As an example, tax rates in Germany and even Denmark are 50% or thereabouts of income. Most people pay. GDP is higher. Would a politican dare loot money under those circumstances?

Nigeria? 80% of our income comes from oil. Most of the rest comes from exported stuff. Only a tiny proportion comes from taxes, which are 0-24% (and if you earn below N50000 monthly you are exempt from tax). Government officials as a result don't care. It's not people's money they are looting, (sarcasm fully intended)
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 10:02am On Sep 07, 2023
ednut1:

Exactly, and as a result, are invested in what happens with their money. (In Denmark, someone can pay tax up to half his or her income. Tell me, would any politican embezzle or steal money under such circumstances?)

Nigeria...most don't pay tax, most are not in the income bracket for tax, and most cannot afford tax . Government income comes from oil...so government does not feel responsible to the people.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Mrniceguy001: 10:14am On Sep 07, 2023
fineboynl:
The problem with black is lack of collective will.

The collective will is how wall of Jericho was built. The collective will is let us build a tower that reach heaven. The tower of Babel. Those things are the collective will blacks do not have.

Black people were never organised and never had a written text or history. They tell stories of the past which contradicts one another. Before the white men came they were naked with leaf and hagered looking.

When some of them begins to proper or get rich they oppressed one another and destroy people preserve to have bright star.

The history of the black race is not very interesting or educative like the other race. Modernization is been forced on us as it was never part of us and reasons we are finding it difficult.

Give a black youths big money. He will start throwing it in the air. Party and sex.

What's the way forward?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Corrections: 10:17am On Sep 07, 2023
ednut1:
they are not encouraged to pay taxes. You go to jail if you dont pay. In arab countries where they don’t pay much taxes they have small population compared to us with 200m

Can you now see clearly my point? If people go to jail for not paying tax then you can imagine for yourself what will happen to leaders that dare embezzle public fund. You can imagine the kind of brutal and effect package these countries have for leaders that would dare embezzle public fund.

They don't condole corruption!!!! They don't treat corruption softly and playfully like NIGERIA does.

Until NIGERIA deals with that there is no amount of tax collected, industrialization built that will fix NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by ovcwality(m): 10:29am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Lol, I bet those Indians went to southern part of Africa, Which was still developed by the whites!!

Black people are yet to build a City!!
Botswana, Angola, Gabon, equitorial guinea, Namibia, republic of congo. Their roads and cities is not up to European standard, but for a developing country it was okay, and no it was no whites. White people are better no lie. Your ass licking is just too much.
So if you Nigeria President, what will be your plans on how to achieve all those roads you have shown within 4-8 years for a start?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by fineboynl(m): 10:54am On Sep 07, 2023
Mrniceguy001:

What's the way forward?
blacks would be better within smaller groups within their tribe. Nigeria as a case study or experiment failed at most populous black people.

And even at that never expect anything different from the rest of other black nations. No matter where they find themselves. Even in the Caribbean. As far as they are black it’s the same issue. But in smaller groups it would be better than a bigger group of many tribe.

Even in the US when an educated black man becomes successful, he will move to white neighborhood where he can have some peace.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by iamtardey: 11:07am On Sep 07, 2023
Poverty lives here man
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Wealthoptulent(m): 11:08am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I've been to 15 states in Nigeria my whole life, and one thing I always notice is, Untarred roads, Lack of drainage system, Lack of proper planning e.t.c

Which always make me curious, Why does everywhere in Nigeria look like it got hit by a nuclear bomb? Why? Why don't we have modern streets and cities!!

Since the inception of Nigeria, I Don't think we have built any city, And please don't even mention Banana island, It's a piece of crap!!

It's sad that only about 3% of Nigeria is actually developed and the other 97% is just straight up piece of trash!!

Eedris abdulkareem need to speak to u, grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Badgers14: 11:08am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
Why are we not building cities? Even most part of Lagos and Abuja still look like crap!!

Nigeria has the highest population of black people in the world, It's literally the home of black people!!

And it's saddening that it look like this in 24th century?

URBAN PLANNING!!!

HOW MANY STATES IN NIGERIA HAVE A MASTERPLAN THAT IS FOLLOWED??
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Nasri100(m): 11:09am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
It's so sad that over 10 trillion dollars has been stolen since the inception of Nigeria

That huge amount could transform any serious country from the worst to the best in just a decade, Are we really cursed as a people? I've been to other Africa streets too, They also suffer from the same bullsh*t, What is wrong with us as a race?

Someone said if Nigerians Moved to America and Americans move to Nigeria, In just 5 years America will be messed up and Nigeria will become a thriving nation

Are we cursed?

So sweet i can say this because i am black with una but alot of Nigerians act like MONKEYS grin grin

Especially the leaders.

Cursed nation with low IQ people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by correctguy101(m): 11:10am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Shut the F**k up!!

Countries Like Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE(Dubai) Kuwait
e.t.c Are not taxing their people as much and they are growing at a faster rate, They have modern cities and towns

They built all these cities with The revenue they generated from selling crude oil, That's why the middle-east is called "Oil Money" countries

Nigeria has the same Oil, What have we done with it?? The money keep getting Embezzled on a daily basis, Can't even build a working refinery since 1960!

Even if all Nigeria pay their taxes, Which we actually pay, Since they deduct it from salaries as VAT, Even the people in the market selling pepper, rice, foodstuffs are given ticket by the government!!

Even bus conductor, Taxis and okada rider are given tickets, These are tax!!

What have we done with it? They keep looting the money and moving to America to enjoy life!

Stop defending rubbish!!

Word.

Those of us whose businesses requires the transportation of goods can relate. It'll be best if there's a stipulated fixed task to be paid.

I run a registered business, pay the annual trades and licencing, yet I can't send my driver to supply goods each day without giving him up to 10-15k else Tinubu boys and the NPF will not let you pass in peace. Oftentimes, they return with broken side mirrors and if you see my Dyna200, dem don use sticks and whatnot damage the body.

The way I see it is' The government are okay with receiving these taxes illegally in the guise of claiming Nigerians don't pay tax cos if they were legally collected, something would be expected to be done with such collections of tax.

You'd be surprised how much these hoodlums give their immediate bosses each day. Some are required to remit between 80k-200k depends on the location of said illegal collection. Not to talk of the extra the hoodlums will keep for themselves after delivery..... I know this, I use the boys too sometimes to carry my drums if I can't find aboki, so it's from their own account.

Abeg, I too lazy to stress too much about Nigerian politicians and their corrupt practices. It always gets me angry.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by capacino(m): 11:11am On Sep 07, 2023
You think this shit is found only on Nigerian streets? Go to Ghana, Kenya and you'll find similarities.. many cities in Africa from Accra, to Lagos, to Brazzaville, Nairobi and Kampala all have these type of street views and they look alike.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Calitoscassius(m): 11:13am On Sep 07, 2023
Naigerians were not designed to live in a decent clean environment. Simple!

They are happy living like this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by gbolswag(m): 11:13am On Sep 07, 2023
You still want to blame government
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Backpedal: 11:14am On Sep 07, 2023
SmartPolician:

This is soooo brutal! grin

The truth is that everyone doesn't have the same mental capacity; I found out in the university. In school, some of us read to learn.

However, I was shocked when I met a course mate who could cram the text of an entire page of a textbook and reproduce it without looking at the page word for word. I am not kidding. God knows that I cannot do that. He graduated with 4.23. He nearly made a first class.

Meeting that guy exposed me to the fact that there are things one can never be, no matter how much one tries. Humans are not the same. Humans don't have the same mental capacity. Genetic makeups differentiate races. For Black Africans to come close to Caucasians in mental capacity, we have to invest massively in education.

Facts
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Backpedal: 11:15am On Sep 07, 2023
capacino:
You think this shit is found only on Nigerian streets? Go to Ghana, Kenya and you'll find similarities.. many cities in Africa from Accra, to Lagos, to Brazzaville, Nairobi and Kampala all have these type of street views and they look alike.

The topic is on Nigeria

Let's stick to it
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by LegacyB: 11:19am On Sep 07, 2023
SmartPolician:

Black Africans have low IQ. We can choose to deny that, but facts are facts. The Black Africans lack innovation. That explains why Nigeria hasn't made appreciable progress since 60 years after independence.
If you’re Black and you typed this. Then your case is worse than low IQ.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox / Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures) / How I Started My Tricycle (Keke) Business & How Much I Make In A Day (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.