Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction (31131 Views)

7-year-old Girl Manifests Signs Of Mental Illness After Rape By Two Suspects / My Baby Was Not Kidnapped, He Is Innocent: Mother Exonerates Dispatch Rider / Man Robs, Kills Woman In Benue After Rape Attempt, Dumps Body In A Well (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Luckysbab: 11:37am On Sep 07, 2023
Leonard Mack, 72, was exonerated after new DNA testing excluded him as the perpetrator.

After 47 years, a New York man has been exonerated after new DNA testing conclusively excluded him as the perpetrator of a 1975 rape.

This is the longest known wrongful conviction in US history to be overturned by DNA evidence.

The tests identified a different man, who has since confessed to the rape.

Leonard Mack, 72, spent over seven years in prison after being convicted in 1976 for the crime he did not commit.

Mr Mack said: "I never lost hope that one day that I would be proven innocent."

In May 1975, two teenage girls were walking home from school in the predominately white town of Greenburgh, New York when a man stopped them and held them at gun point.

One of the girls was raped twice while the other managed to escape and run for help.
The Greenburgh Police Department issued a dispatch for officers to be on the lookout for a black male in his early 20s.

Shortly after the attack, police stopped Mr Mack, who happened to be driving through the neighbourhood.

Though Mr Mack had a strong alibi and was wearing different clothes than the suspect, police still arrested him.

The Westchester County District Attorney's Conviction Review Unit, along with the Innocence Project - a nonprofit committed to exonerating wrongfully convicted individuals - conducted new DNA testing in the rape case in 2022.

It revealed the actual perpetrator was a man who had been convicted of a burglary and rape in Queens that occurred weeks after this crime.

The man had also been convicted in 2004 for burglary and sexual assault of a woman in Westchester County.

"This exoneration confirms that wrongful convictions are not only harmful to the wrongly convicted but also make us all less safe," district attorney Miriam E Rocah said in a statement.

Ms Rocah praised Mr Mack's "unwavering strength" for fighting to clear his name for almost 50 years.

Witness misidentification is the leading cause of wrongful convictions, according to the Innocence Project. In this case, the girls identified Mr Mack during a flawed police identification process.

Susan Friedman, a senior attorney at the Innocence Project, said the case had "many of the ingredients of a wrongful conviction".

"The state's decision to continue the prosecution instead of reopening the investigation demonstrates the power of tunnel vision and the role that racial bias plays in the criminal legal system," she said.

Mr Mack, who is a Vietnam War veteran, has been living in South Carolina with his wife of nearly 21 years.

"Now the truth has come to light and I can finally breathe. I am finally free," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66734064.amp

18 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by madscientist88(m): 12:20pm On Sep 07, 2023
i sincerely apologize for my rash response to everyone here,who had tried to correct me due to my previous statement,it was wrong and i have taken it down,it was a misinterpretation of the article on my side.

151 Likes 19 Shares

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Otulented: 12:51pm On Sep 07, 2023
Chai! Most women are evil.

30 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by aybabz101: 12:51pm On Sep 07, 2023
After 47 years! fu*K....that's almost 20 years before I was born oooo.....

Blacks really suffered from the hands of these white folks....

Guys abeg fear women ooo......dem still dey finish man even after fourty seven years....

Dem don finish Greewood, na Anthony own remain now.... the world no dey hear the man, na woman dem dey hear...
immediately woman talk am like this, na truth be that oooo...so, y'all should be careful!

And again, stay away from spiteful ladies....wey no dey allow things go easily

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Sirheny007(m): 12:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
So what happens?
What happens to those lost years?
What could he have become?

Sadly, hundreds of others are like him rotting away their best years in jail.
It's a sad world we live in.
But these things happen.

19 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by MorataFC: 12:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
47 years?
Justice delay is not more justice denied, justice delay is justice denied.
stormborn28:

He spent 7 years + . make unna dey read before commenting
Olodo, Did the seven years he spent in prison clear his name from being a rapist?
If the truth did not come for the next 100 years he will still be tagged as a rapist whether he spent 1 year or 100 years in prison.
He carried the tag "rapist" for 47 years not for seven years .

16 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by triple996(m): 12:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
fear women walahi. See as Antony of man.u done chop him own naw

2 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by NSNO(m): 12:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
This kind of stories make me sad.

10 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by nairalanda1(m): 12:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
Otulented:

Nothing to do with evil women.

Everything to do with

1.Police misidentyfiying a man as a rapist

2.In the 1970's DNA was not used at all in crime. The best and most sophisticated method then was hair follicles, fingerprints, and maybe they may identify the blood group if it was left at the scene...

DNA was first used in crime solving in the late 1980's and even then on a limited basis.

17 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by IamMobisola(f): 12:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
Otulented:
A girl was raped but by a different person. Police arrested someone they thought fit the profile but you still somehow blame women😓😓

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by fawaz050(m): 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
madscientist88:
after wasting his life the state has to pay some certain amount of money in compensation to this man for wrongfully putting him in prison for 47 ,years 47 million dollars wont even be enough.

He spent over 7 years in prison not 47. This means the case was proven about 40 years after his release.

32 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Pwettylinda(f): 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
grin
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by IamMobisola(f): 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
Oppipoo:
Just imagine how all these women ruin person life
Read to understand next time, not jump on bandwagons

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Ofunaofu: 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
madscientist88:
after wasting his life the state has to pay some certain amount of money in compensation to this man for wrongfully putting him in prison for 47 ,years 47 million dollars wont even be enough.

He actually spent seven years as was stated in the article

Leonard Mack, 72, spent over seven years in prison after being convicted in 1976 for the crime he did not commit.

All the same, he needs to be compensated

11 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
IamMobisola:

A girl was raped but by a different person. Police arrested someone they thought fit the profile but you still somehow blame women😓😓
Did you get to read the last fifth paragraph of the thread;
"In this case, the girls identified Mr Mack during a flawed police identification process."

4 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by oluwaseunamos33(m): 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
Ecclesiastes 7vs26 and I found something bitter than death, it's woman
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by EnergyEnergy(m): 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2023
Women did not cause this, evil policemen did

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by money121(m): 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2023
Ok
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by oneman2k7: 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2023
A black man is always identify as the devil since the year of Nebuchadnezzar.

I hope they compensate him handsomely for this.

I fear who no fear women

5 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Iceiscold: 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2023
47years behind bar for a crime you did not commit...
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Bosenan: 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2023
MorataFC:
47?

He did 7 long years as per the content of the article

2 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by Authoreety: 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2023
Who go pay
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by 9jaloyalist(m): 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2023
That's how one day people in this country will wake up to the reality of their choices.

May it never be too late before we realize this.

1 Like

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by MorataFC: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
Bosenan:

He did 7 long years as per the content of the article
what of stigmatization?
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by constance500: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
47 years is not play.. I hope he was compensated
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by FunkeAyorinde: 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2023
shocked
Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by nairalanda1(m): 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2023
Ofunaofu:

He actually spent seven years as was stated in the article

All the same, he needs to be compensated

Yes, correct, but the problem is, as an ex convict he would find it difficult to get jobs. Also, as a registered sex offender, he has to notify the police of his prescence wherever he is and if a rape happens in his neighbourhood, the police would look at him as a potential suspect.

And guess what, as a sex offender, he may find it difficult to move into certian residential areas. No one wants a sex offender in their midst.

8 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by sunday1989(m): 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2023
Though Mr Mack had a strong alibi and was wearing different clothes than the suspect, police still arrested him.
Na wah! The hate for black folks is something else. Flip it around and guess if a white man happened to plied that route at that moment, what would happen to him?

3 Likes

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by DrAkpamudehe: 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2023
The problem of the black race is inability and impatience to read and understand information.
Just see how people here are misreading the whole story.
The average Nigerian youth has a very big intellectual problem

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DNA Exonerates Man 47 Years After Rape Conviction by gracealonev: 12:59pm On Sep 07, 2023
I knew he must be a black man!
US policemen used to coach witnesses, especially minors, whom to pick during identification.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Bites Off Female Co-tenant’s Finger After Severe Beating By Her (pic) / Man Burns A 10-Year-Old Boy's Buttocks With A Hot Knife In Ogun / Bauchi Man Shoots And Kills Wife After Mistaking Her For His Son (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.