Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,221 members, 7,836,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured (31224 Views)

Powerful 6.8 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Morocco damages buildings / BREAKING! Massive Earthquake Rocks California / Tokyo Rocked By 6.1-magnitude Earthquake As Tremors Cause Buildings To Sway(Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by AmazingELixir: 11:41am On Sep 09, 2023
shocked

Hope that our Nairaland girl that traveled to Morroco is safe...please come back to us hale and hearty.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Horllamideh(m): 11:46am On Sep 09, 2023
Ahmed0336:
What!!!
Earthquake in Africa? shocked

My prayers are with Morocco in this trying times
Earthquake has been reported in Africa in a timeline that spans centuries. The greatest one that had the most casualties ever recorded in Africa also took place in the North African region. Residents of Saki in Oyo State has been talking about feeling the earth swaying and buildings vibrating since about a decade now even though Nigeria is far away from an active fault line.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by aklid(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2023
Chetas81:
of course last three weeks
damn💔💔🥲 aFrica that wasn’t always known for them
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by LincolnOnyeabor: 11:50am On Sep 09, 2023
Slowly but steadily, Africa is getting her own shares of Mass Natural Disasters.

Lord help us ooo

https://youtube.com/shorts/CcqLvhvXjaU?feature=share
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by remoc29: 11:52am On Sep 09, 2023
Tallesty1:
They are worse than some natural disasters.
i dey tell u boss
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Tonytonex(m): 12:00pm On Sep 09, 2023
ifytrik:
cry cry cry can someone tell me the comon causes of earthquakes
so many things. Climate change one of them.
When the government refuse to do the needfuls, like providing portable water to the people. They will resort to drilling bole holes there by distorting the earth structure. Which can lead to an earthquake. And also breaking of Rocks.

3 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Sweetvie: 12:05pm On Sep 09, 2023
This is bad.
May their souls rest in peace
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by antontech(m): 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2023
632 dead from BBC
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Discerner: 12:21pm On Sep 09, 2023
Sergio101:

Earthquake is a violent tremors caused by ease of piled stress in the crust which sends shockwaves on different direction.

It's actually this shockwaves that causes destruction

Imagine a situation where two moulded blocked placed opposite each other are being pushed together towards each other but in opposite direction (i.e block A is moving East while block B is moving west but are in towards each other meaning that a central point of the whole force will be created), it will get to a point that this blocks will start fracturing and be breaking to pieces.

Reason is that Block A &B are minute when compared to With force being put

Now have a broader view of it......(which is the Earth's Continental block)

In this case.......the Continental block is a big mass of rock (lithosphere), therefore when there's convergence of two Continental blocks or plates, the stress/force at this point of contact can't cause the whole mass of Continental rock to break or fracture, Rather this stress can be heaved or eased or released in other forms...... Basically the SHOCKWAVES. So if there's slight movement of a plate boundary against another opposite plate boundary, the stress released is what causes this destructions and we say that earthquake has happened...

This waves can practically be visualized when you throw a stone to a still water. The wave created by the stone in the water will be very high and noticeable at near point it was thrown (where the stone made contact with the water) but slowly dies off as it progresses. This is same case with Earthquake's shockwaves. It causes more destruction at the epicenter (the point at ground surface directly above the Origin in the sub surface).

Now what is the Possible reason it happened Morocco??

I saw in first where someone Said Nigeria may be hit by earthquake maybe in 2040. Scientifically..... it's not possible. Nigeria is far from it. Nigeria is in a stable Continental plate (stable African plate which has contact far in Atlantic Ocean with South America plate).

So earthquake possibly happened in morrocco because......

Morocco is on convergent boundaries of African, Eurasian (and other plate I can't remember). Little wonder the famous Atlas chains of mountains was formed in it Just like Himalayas of Asia.
So morrocco is on unstable plate...... hence, it is possible for earthquake to occur there.

Another place of possibility is in East Africa (because of rift system).

I'd hope it's clearer to you.

Have a blessed day!!😊🥰🥰

Not Even the East that you say is Post Cretaceous?

I believe Earth Quake will happen sooner or later in Nigeria, Nigeria just might not exist as we know it when it does.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by EPIJOE: 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2023
Some north African countries are along the fault lines we expected such. Even some parts of the middle east. too.

No be Morocco and Egypt no let people cross the Mediterranean and also Depot any black Africans.

It would get to a stage God would look up to Africa as the only continent that is save in the world against raging natural disasters. All Europe and america would que for hours to get visas to Nigeria.. a time is coming.

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Love56743: 12:29pm On Sep 09, 2023
If are a Christian who study his Bible very well, you will know that will are in end time, I pray God give me the heart to repent before it's too late..
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by BItt: 12:30pm On Sep 09, 2023
Love56743:
If are a Christian who study his Bible very well, you will know that will are in end time, I pray God give me the heart to repent before it's too late..

But it's not the first of its kind of event na grin and more will still happen after we are dead and gone
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Taciturn1: 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2023
Sergio101:

Earthquake is a violent tremors caused by ease of piled stress in the crust which sends shockwaves on different direction.

It's actually this shockwaves that causes destruction

Imagine a situation where two moulded blocked placed opposite each other are being pushed together towards each other but in opposite direction (i.e block A is moving East while block B is moving west but are in towards each other meaning that a central point of the whole force will be created), it will get to a point that this blocks will start fracturing and be breaking to pieces.

Reason is that Block A &B are minute when compared to With force being put

Now have a broader view of it......(which is the Earth's Continental block)

In this case.......the Continental block is a big mass of rock (lithosphere), therefore when there's convergence of two Continental blocks or plates, the stress/force at this point of contact can't cause the whole mass of Continental rock to break or fracture, Rather this stress can be heaved or eased or released in other forms...... Basically the SHOCKWAVES. So if there's slight movement of a plate boundary against another opposite plate boundary, the stress released is what causes this destructions and we say that earthquake has happened...

This waves can practically be visualized when you throw a stone to a still water. The wave created by the stone in the water will be very high and noticeable at near point it was thrown (where the stone made contact with the water) but slowly dies off as it progresses. This is same case with Earthquake's shockwaves. It causes more destruction at the epicenter (the point at ground surface directly above the Origin in the sub surface).

Now what is the Possible reason it happened Morocco??

I saw in first where someone Said Nigeria may be hit by earthquake maybe in 2040. Scientifically..... it's not possible. Nigeria is far from it. Nigeria is in a stable Continental plate (stable African plate which has contact far in Atlantic Ocean with South America plate).

So earthquake possibly happened in morrocco because......

Morocco is on convergent boundaries of African, Eurasian (and other plate I can't remember). Little wonder the famous Atlas chains of mountains was formed in it Just like Himalayas of Asia.
So morrocco is on unstable plate...... hence, it is possible for earthquake to occur there.

Another place of possibility is in East Africa (because of rift system).

I'd hope it's clearer to you.

Have a blessed day!!😊🥰🥰
La professeur cheesy
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Love56743: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2023
BItt:

But it's not the first of its kind of event na grin and more will still happen after we are dead and gone
Check the way things are happening in all over the world, you will know exactly what I'm saying..
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Love56743: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2023
BItt:

Go and read new testament of the Bible you will understand exactly what I'm saying, i know I'm a sinners but i still believe in the world of God... Many end time signs are happening..
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by BItt: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2023
Love56743:

Check the way things are happening in all over the world, you will know exactly what I'm saying..
Bro leave talk. Com teach me hustl abeg
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Love56743: 12:35pm On Sep 09, 2023
BItt:

Bro leave talk. Com teach me hustl abeg

Na the word of God i dey teach you, that's more important..
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Sergio101(m): 12:37pm On Sep 09, 2023
Discerner:

Not Even the East that you say is Post Cretaceous?

I believe Earth Quake will happen sooner or later in Nigeria, Nigeria just might not exist as we know it when it does.

My reply about Cretaceous is based on cause of Soil erosion in the South East/south South and not about earthquake.

Do research and come back to me....... south west and most northern Nigeria has basement complex rock of pre Cretaceous.

More reason they can be good location of minerals like bitumen,Gold and co but are not good hydrocarbon reservoir.

Eastern Nigeria is has post Cretaceous sand (i.e formed during Carboniferous era). So this type of soil can't withstand erosion factors

As for Nigeria and Earthquake........ it's scientifically impossible for at least next 100yrs
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Chetas81(m): 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2023
aklid:
damn💔💔🥲 aFrica that wasn’t always known for them
the Man damage his planet earth 🌎 think they have somewhere else to live, natural disasters are not far from Africa continent, see turkey some months ago
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Discerner: 12:45pm On Sep 09, 2023
ifytrik:
cry cry cry can someone tell me the comon causes of earthquakes

Sins of mankind masked by scientific explanations.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Onyeka8: 12:54pm On Sep 09, 2023
May they RIP AMEN. So painful.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Otasikwe(m): 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2023
NLPoliceWoman:
RIP
so we hv a ovisa among we?

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by iammolise(m): 1:30pm On Sep 09, 2023
remoc29:
Oh boy that's large, our own problem na leaders n not natural disasters
That's our own natural disaster my brother... It's our punishment for our sins.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Longinyamapucci(m): 1:32pm On Sep 09, 2023
God please heal them. We don't need this in Africa ooo.

Let's face our bad leaders in peace.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by MamaletASO: 1:33pm On Sep 09, 2023
This is really terrifying.

Earthquake in Morocco

I pray for all the residents of Marrakech for God's protection and an end to such kind of disaster..

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by BlackAdam65: 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2023
as long as no single black person died from the earthquake this is good news for me
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Sleekfingers: 2:07pm On Sep 09, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:
Omo earthquake don dey come Africa

Earthquake can happen anywhere.....but some countries are more prone to it. Eg Japan, USA, new Zealand, Indonesia, china , peru, Taiwan, Mexico, Nepal, Pakistan, Italy, Ecuador and Greece.

What is most likely to happen in Nigeria, Ghana, Togo, Benin republic, cape verde, south Africa, Seychelles, Madagascar, Namibia, angola, condo, Gabon, Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania and Somalia is Cyclones.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by aklid(m): 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2023
Chetas81:
the Man damage his planet earth 🌎 think they have somewhere else to live, natural disasters are not far from Africa continent, see turkey some months ago
True ooo true Turkey worst
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by humberjade: 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2023
Ahmed0336:
What!!!
Earthquake in Africa? shocked

My prayers are with Morocco in this trying times

If Turkey can have earthquakes, definitely North African countries can too. Moreover, this isn't the first earthquake in Morocco, they have had over a dozen quakes in recorded history, and the recent one isn't the one with the highest magnitude.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Monimaker22: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2023
Thank God am alive, few miles i drove out of now occurred scene yesterday night, pray for us there, more than 296 reported are dead already.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by SeunOsewaIsDiot: 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2023
Kingosytex:
An earthquake of 6.8 magnitude in Africa? From a few tremors here and there to an earthquake of this magnitude. Times are fast changing. Almost 300 souls gone just like that? 😭😭😭
This life is a mystery. We're here today, and gone tomorrow.
My thoughts and prayers are with their respective families!

So sad my brother, may God rest their souls and console their families

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

British Crime Agency Intercepts Cocaine Worth £40m In A Batch Of Bananas / Ghanaian Man Climbs High Tension Pole, Demands Money Before Coming Down. Photos / Elon Musk Visits Scene Of Kibbutz Massacre With Benjamin Netanyahu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.