Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,709 members, 7,820,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Man Poses As Ex-ig Mike Okiro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Poses As Ex-ig Mike Okiro (641 Views)

EFCC Swoops On Diezani’s Residence In Abuja As Ex-minister Is Arrested In London / ICPC Interrogates Fmr IGP Mike Okiro, Others Over N275.5m Fraud / Too Much Money: This PDP Man Poses With Piles Of Naira Notes - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Poses As Ex-ig Mike Okiro by baslone: 12:25pm On Oct 17, 2011
Charles Ebuzoma, an indigene of Okwani West, Delta State, has been into
impersonation and other fraudulent acts for over a year. The 32-year old
dealer in Italian shoes thought this was the path to riches without stress.

But he was mistaken.

Recently, Ebuzoma was paraded by the Lagos State Anti-Robbery Squad for
impersonating former Inspector-General of Police, Sir Mike Mbama Okiro. He
claimed it was his deceased friend named Innocent that brought him into the
world of impersonation.

He credited Innocent with helping him to get the phone numbers of prominent
Nigerians, including senators and ex-governors. His mode of operation is novel.
Using different SIM cards, he sent text messages to them and asked for one
favour or the other, after introducing himself as IG, Okiro.

Among the people he demanded money from were Senators Oluremi Tinubu, Bukola
Saraki, ex-speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, ex-Governor
Depreye Solomon Alamiyeseigha, and some other important people.

According to Ebuzoma, through some of the federal lawmakers whose phone numbers
he had, he got the contacts of other prominent people in the country.

In a text message he sent to Oluremi Tinubu he wrote “Hope you are doing well, Insha
Allah. Please. kindly text contact of Ambassador Musiliu Obanikoro and forward two names
for Cadet ASP and must possess 1st degree. Pls. my regard. I.G POL Mike Okiro rtd.”

He wrote to Senator Sulaiman: “My distinguished Sen. Adokwe very sorry, missed your
calls. Am with a guest please bear with me. Hope you got my message? Thank you. IGPol
Mike Okiro rtd.”

After his arrest, he claimed hard times pushed him into crime and bad company and
regretted impersonating ex-IG, Okiro.

Throwing some light on the suspected fraudster’s arrest, Mr. Abba Kyari of the The
Lagos State Anti-Robbery Squad, stated that S.P Abubakar Yakubu, Commander of
Mobile Police 22, Ikeja Lagos, facilitated Ebuzoma’s arrest. Ebuzoma had sent some
text messages and placed a call to Abubakar to help him financially, and a usual,
introduced himself as Sir Okiro.

He dropped the bank account number of his ‘‘secretary,’’ Katherine Ofereka, and
requested that the money be deposited therein.

Abubakar, not believing that it was Okiro asking him for money, decided to play along,
to be sure. Ofereka was arrested. She claimed that she knew “nothing about the fraud
or impersonation, but when I heard Charles’ name I took them to where he lives in Abuja.”

Ebuzoma was nabbed by a 5-man SARS team in Abuja.

Asked why she gave her ATM card and bank account freely to be used by Ebuzoma, Ofereka
responded that the accused person lied to her that he was into Oil and Gas business. She added:
“He had my ATM card and bank account since he sold his red car and wanted to deposit the money
in my bank account. He collected my ATM card. After we parted ways he called me one Saturday
morning that anytime I am called for an interview in a bank I shouldn’t go. He said my bank was no
longer safe for me and threatened to kill me.”

Reacting, Ebuzoma said he used her as a pawn. He added: “I had to think of a way to avoid
being caught by the police. I decided to use her bank account and ATM card without her knowledge
and consent. I wanted her to be held responsible for the act.”

A distraught Katherine advised women to be mindful of men they relate with and seek God’s
intervention and grace at all times.

http://thenewsafrica.com/2011/10/17/man-poses-as-ex-ig-mike-okiro/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNewsNigeria+%28The+News+Nigeria%29

(1) (Reply)

2500m Sq Area Digital Plant Lands In Lagos / Joe 'gobbels' Igbokwe Of Acn / From Slow To Reverse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.