Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,623 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

My Tenant Was Burnt To Death - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death (41656 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning / My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Israel5(m): 4:52pm On Sep 11, 2023
I have just been informed by neighbours from my house in my home town that my tenant was burnt to death by people in the environment. They almost burnt my house too but for some interventions. They ransacked the entire house, burn any item they could find, cutting down trees and pulling down doors.

He was accused of stealing and selling children. Four children have been reported missing. He confirmed it, only that they can not be recovered. That was before they meted jungle justice on him. He was survived by a wife and four children. The family are in police custody now. All his properties brought out and set on fire.
As I write, I am in shock right now. I can't travel there. All the while this devil told me he deals with Rice and other food items. He usually comes to Abuja to sell his items, asking to visit my house but for some reason I refused to let him. I have never him physically though. I thought he was a good man, how that he helped secure the property. It was after his death yesterday, I got to find out that he rented other rooms to some students and was collecting rent. Unfortunately, the properties of these students were burnt too. Not my problem.

I have contacted a property lawyer, and sent him there. He confirmed the incident, but asked me to sell the entire property.

Is that the right call? Seeing that the people see the house as bad omen now.
Please what do I do? Am I going to be implicated? I don't know the devil.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Israel5(m): 4:55pm On Sep 11, 2023
Thank you @SenecaTheYonger, @Socialmediaman, @Brownemeka, @KingLennon, and every other person for your opinions. I have taken it into advisement and decided on the way forward.
@Myer, hm, no blood is going to be on my head eh. Olila!

After due consultations, I have made a decision. The property will be under lock and in the hands of the lawyer for now. I may not disclose details here for security reasons, cos I can see some justice seekers and mobmen here already blaming me for my negligence, but I have learnt my lessons.

Thank you all.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Ladiesdream: 5:04pm On Sep 11, 2023
Which state is your house located abi you dey fear to mention?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by woginid967: 5:11pm On Sep 11, 2023
The house will either become haunted or marked.

So yes it is wise to sell

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by dangermouse(m): 5:17pm On Sep 11, 2023
Do not sell your property because of this incident. If the compound is fenced and gated then lock it up for the mean time.

Not your fault that u rented to a criminal.

Renovate the house later and rent out only this time proper vetting needs done.

222 Likes 14 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Slynation(m): 5:50pm On Sep 11, 2023
Things are really happening...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Neddstark: 7:01pm On Sep 11, 2023
Landlords need to do due diligence. It is your duty to know about every tenant in your house. If your tenant is a cultist, high possibility that a murder can happen in your house. If your tenant is like what the OP said he was the. Things like this happen.
The house i presently am in Abj houses a weird single guy who lives isolatedly and seems to be on hard drugs.

I advise you to consider selling your property. A new buyer and developer will change the story of that house. Glad your house wasn't burnt. Time to move on.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Asquare84(m): 8:46pm On Sep 11, 2023
Israel5:
I have just been informed by neighbours from my house in my home town that my tenant was burnt to death by people in the environment. They almost burnt my house too but for some interventions. They ransacked the entire house, burn any item they could find, cutting down trees and pulling down doors.

He was accused of stealing and selling children. Four children have been reported missing. He confirmed it, only that they can not be recovered. That was before they meted jungle justice on him. He was survived by a wife and four children. The family are in police custody now. All his properties brought out and set on fire.
As I write, I am in shock right now. I can't travel there. All the while this devil told me he deals with Rice and other food items. He usually comes to Abuja to sell his items, asking to visit my house but for some reason I refused to let him. I have never him physically though. I thought he was a good man, how that he helped secure the property. It was after his death yesterday, I got to find out that he rented other rooms to some students and was collecting rent. Unfortunately, the properties of these students were burnt too. Not my problem.

I have contacted a property lawyer, and sent him there. He confirmed the incident, but asked me to sell the entire property.

Is that the right call? Seeing that the people see the house as bad omen now.
Please what do I do? Am I going to be implicated? I don't know the devil.

This incident happened in otukpo roundabout yesterday. Why did you not do background check on your tenant before giving him house. Otukpo dey hot now, alot of bad things happening now, so you have to be careful.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Asquare84(m): 8:47pm On Sep 11, 2023
Israel5:
Please don't turn this into a tribal witch-hunt. I am not Igbo, and my hometown is not East. My hometown is in north central, and the Tenant happen to be from same state. I won't say more than this.

Na otukpo na, dey news dey everywhere.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by REGINALD001(m): 9:19pm On Sep 11, 2023
The property is central then since it's Otukpo, don't rush to sell it to avoid issues since you are clean...... Just get ready to be invited by the law enforcers ....... Say your own side of the story.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by TrustNone: 10:02pm On Sep 11, 2023
Asquare84:

Na otukpo na, dey news dey everywhere.
you don cast OP grin

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by brain54(m): 10:35pm On Sep 11, 2023
How was it confirmed…

That he sold children?

I hate jungle justice!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Salary: 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2023

**Damn! How much does crime pay??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by MrAgbako: 11:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
Everyday different wahala.😂

Abeg God dey try

5 Likes

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by poshestmina(f): 1:00am On Sep 12, 2023
The level of stupid tribalistic comments on this thread and Nairaland generally are very Irritating, sickening and annoying angry angry.
Cc
Seun
Mynd44 .

Op,if you have to sell that house ,it should be for your safety and spiritual beliefs (Personality,I wouldn't stay in a house with such stories) and if you don't want to ,Let your Lawyer and some 'capable' people go with you.

I'm sure there's a Landlord/Tenant /Guarantor form where he stipulated his Occupation as a Businessman (A rice dealer).

Running away will only make you look guilty.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Brandiebird: 1:49am On Sep 12, 2023
If your hands are clean then don’t sell your property. Wait out the storm, send your people to secure the property and tell people that the house belongs to someone else. Don’t act on your emotions, be logical and let the police do their job. Soothe the vigilantes and give them some money so they don’t burn your house down.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by HugeElephant(f): 2:13am On Sep 12, 2023
If your hands are clean, walk up to the police station and visit the community leaders.
Explain everything as you have said it to them.

Don't go and live in the house for the time being and don't sell the property. You can rent it out after a while

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by MrsTwrite(f): 3:20am On Sep 12, 2023
Hmmm... People are really heartless... cry
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Ontus: 6:04am On Sep 12, 2023
Don't sell it. Not now at least. Contact the community leader so he will talk to his people to calm there nerves down

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by izonborn098(m): 6:47am On Sep 12, 2023
Kidnapper rapist Child slavery/child abusers Simp I don't pity the above whenever they are killed...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by KingLennon(m): 7:09am On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
Please don't turn this into a tribal witch-hunt. I am not Igbo, and my hometown is not East. My hometown is in north central, and the Tenant happen to be from same state. I won't say more than this.
There was no need to even answer those fools. Don't you know that some persons here have underlying mental problems?

You can sell the property and use that same money to buy another property. That particular property now has a bad image and don't go there o. Them fit change am for you sad

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by online4business: 7:10am On Sep 12, 2023
Orpani relax don't rush and sell the property since it's in a prime area like otukpo.

Before you go there make sure you go with LIA or better still call the dpo of that division that you're coming to town.

Dpo take you directly to the community leader house where you'd narrate all you know about your Tennants.

They still respect traditional institution there.

Going alone will endanger your life ooo otukpo gboko and Tiv people can be funny at times I've lived there before.

For selling don't for now just renovate and abandoned it for now.

Don't make the mistake of renting it out again without involving the traditional rulers.

Here's why you're a mark. Period you don't have to believe me... They rarely forget something there.

And I think that's the reason your lawyer is telling you to sell.

For anyone who own a house it can happen but here's what I did do when I brought my houses.

Whether for students or families.

I drill them like say na DSS office dem come asking questions for like 2 days before I decide to give them the house.

I make sure I know your source of income and if you're a student I speak with the parents.

Assuring them that if your son misbehave you'll get a call from me ASAP.

This keep the students at bay however some after school join gangs.

I simply call the parents to tell their kids to find another house.

I also outsource this task to a police officer I know that does not collect bribe them dey all division find them.

22 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Please Piss Here, Ogun Needs It": Hilarious Inscription On A Fence In Jos! / Aluminium Vs Asbestos Roofing Sheets. / Updated Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.