Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

My Tenant Was Burnt To Death - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death (41670 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning / My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by nikz(f): 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
Don't think its wise to sell. Just take a chill pill for now later you can renovate and rent it out. Whatever happened isn't your fault so pls don't feel bad.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Douglad: 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
ObiaboAdoka:
I hope ur tenant is not d one burnt in Otukpo town bcus of stealing a four years old child.

Abeg gimme the detaills of the story.

OP is prolly the landlord cos he said his property is in the North Central.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Slurity(m): 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
I have just been informed by neighbours from my house in my home town that my tenant was burnt to death by people in the environment. They almost burnt my house too but for some interventions. They ransacked the entire house, burn any item they could find, cutting down trees and pulling down doors.

He was accused of stealing and selling children. Four children have been reported missing. He confirmed it, only that they can not be recovered. That was before they meted jungle justice on him. He was survived by a wife and four children. The family are in police custody now. All his properties brought out and set on fire.
As I write, I am in shock right now. I can't travel there. All the while this devil told me he deals with Rice and other food items. He usually comes to Abuja to sell his items, asking to visit my house but for some reason I refused to let him. I have never him physically though. I thought he was a good man, how that he helped secure the property. It was after his death yesterday, I got to find out that he rented other rooms to some students and was collecting rent. Unfortunately, the properties of these students were burnt too. Not my problem.

I have contacted a property lawyer, and sent him there. He confirmed the incident, but asked me to sell the entire property.

Is that the right call? Seeing that the people see the house as bad omen now.
Please what do I do? Am I going to be implicated? I don't know the devil.
You are unlikely going to be implicated but you may need to spend some money with police case if you are afraid of court threat by Nigeria police. let them charge you to court if they come up with the idea, but be sure that they have no case against you.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by ConfidentialDoc: 3:07pm On Sep 12, 2023
Sell it before prospective buyers find out
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by visaclick: 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
You see how the world has become a small village, more users have confirmed the incident and the main landlord already has a thread on it online. Stay away from evil because it will definitely catch up with you, i still wonder how criminals think they won’t get caught. Just few days ago here i met an old class mate of mine like 25years back, now imagine if i or him was being hunted.

3 Likes

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by mejetov422: 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
Op your case is a bit critical, you don't know your tenant in person and you live in Nigeria,

make them nor add you join the story say na both of una they run the business, I trust Nigeria police.

just report yourself to the nearest police station and tender any document you have regards the man. If not, you're part of the game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by dododawa1: 3:10pm On Sep 12, 2023
FAKE STORYLINE
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:11pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
I have just been informed by neighbours from my house in my home town that my tenant was burnt to death by people in the environment. They almost burnt my house too but for some interventions. They ransacked the entire house, burn any item they could find, cutting down trees and pulling down doors.

He was accused of stealing and selling children. Four children have been reported missing. He confirmed it, only that they can not be recovered. That was before they meted jungle justice on him. He was survived by a wife and four children. The family are in police custody now. All his properties brought out and set on fire.
As I write, I am in shock right now. I can't travel there. All the while this devil told me he deals with Rice and other food items. He usually comes to Abuja to sell his items, asking to visit my house but for some reason I refused to let him. I have never him physically though. I thought he was a good man, how that he helped secure the property. It was after his death yesterday, I got to find out that he rented other rooms to some students and was collecting rent. Unfortunately, the properties of these students were burnt too. Not my problem.
Your tenant might be falsely accused. Don't join the bandwagon. This is Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Obrigardo: 3:12pm On Sep 12, 2023
Make sure your lawyers are involved at the moment and alert. Then stay away as much as you can from your property but keep communications open incase the police wants your statement and do this through your lawyer. Lock it up, and sell it after 7 years.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by ObiaboAdoka(m): 3:13pm On Sep 12, 2023
Douglad:

Abeg gimme the detaills of the story.

OP is prolly the landlord cos he said his property is in the North Central.

D tenant is into stealing nd selling children. D last one happened last week nd he was caught with d child. He confessed of stealing d one's before dis one. Nd jungle justice took place. D house he was occupying wasn't his Daz y it was not burn down.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Saig: 3:13pm On Sep 12, 2023
Was it the man at Otukpo

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Pooly: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2023
oooopss!
Israel5:
Please don't turn this into a tribal witch-hunt. I am not Igbo, and my hometown is not East. My hometown is in north central, and the Tenant happen to be from same state. I won't say more than this.

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by GiftedHands47(m): 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2023
First of all , the burnt properties of those students should be your problem.Reason is because it's within your territory.They were only victims of circumstances.

Secondly since the guy who perpetrated the act was your tenant .so no problem.If it were the landlord you should know The entire house would have been a Shadow of it's former self

It's left for you to choose to choose between right and wrong.
Choose wisely!!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Saig: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:

I have contacted a property lawyer, and sent him there. He confirmed the incident, but asked me to sell the entire property.

Was it the man at Otukpo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Myer(m): 3:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
dangermouse:
Do not sell your property because of this incident. If the compound is fenced and gated then lock it up for the mean time.

Not your fault that u rented to a criminal.

Renovate the house later and rent out only this time proper vetting needs done.

How is it not his fault that he rented out his property to a criminal?
How can you abdicate him of this crime?

Even if legally, he is not liable, he is morally liable.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Stephaniegold(f): 3:20pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
Please don't turn this into a tribal witch-hunt. I am not Igbo, and my hometown is not East. My hometown is in north central, and the Tenant happen to be from same state. I won't say more than this.
E no go pass Kogi state or Benue.....I can bet my two balls on it.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Streetmovement(m): 3:23pm On Sep 12, 2023
Wotoporiously cool speaking

No be chise
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Decarbonisation: 3:23pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:

Ok.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Kaido: 3:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
Don't sell your property, sir!

Renovate it and run good background check before renting out
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Focusmind: 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
I feel for his children....only God knows the kind of trauma they are going through by being lucked up with their mum in police station. Most Nigerian children do not know what it means to be a child. Majority of the children have been traumatized beyond repair by their immediate environment.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by arantess: 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
dododawa1:
FAKE STORYLINE
what a douche bag, bozo

3 Likes

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Goalnaldo(m): 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2023
Which right thinking person would even consider buying the property considering the event that just unfolded?
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
Was burning him to death the solution? Hmmm

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by genx09063575744: 3:28pm On Sep 12, 2023
It is well
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by agbolahan1991(m): 3:30pm On Sep 12, 2023
I am an architect and also a realtor
I would advise you get intouch with elders in the Vicinity or a respected religious person
Then lock the building for some months
Renovate and rent it out

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by okoroemeka(m): 3:31pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:

don't be rushed by the lawyer to sell your property he has a hidden agenda,just remain calm and watch the situation,the mob has killed the man and burnt his property so they will not come back again,hold on to your property and ignore the lawyer,what is pushing him is the 10% commission and other apiriko his greedy mind is manufacturing,what happened to you can happen to any landlord,it can never be avioded,it is just pure bad luck.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by jmoore(m): 3:32pm On Sep 12, 2023
Myer:

How is it not his fault that he rented out his property to a criminal? How can you abdicate him of this crime?
Even if legally, he is not liable, he is morally liable.
Because criminal is written on the face of the tenant, abi?

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Please Piss Here, Ogun Needs It": Hilarious Inscription On A Fence In Jos! / GLO Wants To Plant A MAST On My Land. What Are My Benefits And Its Hazards - / Updated Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.